Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Budgelight Full Suspensions, the crappy tire way......

Start with a clearout model Raleigh Adrenaline from Canadian Tire, which with tax ran me $256.49CDN...

And replace everything except the stock shock, with a total expenditure INCLUDING buying the bike in the first place of $900CDN... and you can arrive at this....

Except for the saddle (which came from a bike store clearance bin and has some scuff
    marks) and the rear derailleur (which came from one of my spare part bins) everything else on
    the bike is brand new (though some like the fork are cleary in the NOS category, many parts
    are new 2007 stuff, the frame itself is a 2005 model). The reasoning for doing this? An
    excercise in what you can do on the cheap, and my last budgetlight build three years ago
    was a XC racing hardtail that came out at $700CDN and 22 pounds and change. This time I
    decided I'd do a XC/Trail bike, patterned after the setup of my own XC Full suspension bike...
    which meant... less than 4" of wheel travel, dual cable-actuated discs, splined crankset/BB,
    bash guard, carbon bar, ti rail saddle, kevlar tires. My own bike is 25.8 Ibs and a bit under
    three thousand dollars. This thing, was $900 and less than 3 pounds heavier (28.6 to be
    exact). Also the frame itself is made by Kinesis (and both KHS and Motobecane used the
    same frame, albeit with different components), has good welds/geometry, and sealed
    cartridge bearings in all the major pivot areas, and at just under 7 pounds for frame, seatpost
    clamp and rear shock (18" size) isn't a pig like oh, those Sette Ridick frames are that
    pricepoint is clearing out. Frame travel is 3.5" and the shock is a nitrogen gas/oil damped
    Stratos labeled shock with only adjustable preload.

Anyways, the parts break down....

Judy XLC 100mm Fork , Neco sealed cartridge bearing headset, Zoom alloy stem, Amoeba
    Carbon/Alloy bar, Sachs Quartz gripshifters, Suntour Powerflo 11-32 9sp cassette, KMC
    Z9200 chain, Shimano FC-M470 Octalink hollowtech cranks with ES-30 BB, Raceface
    Bashguard, Blackspire 22T and RPM 32T alloy chainrings, Kenda Superlight tubes, Kenda
    Karma Stick-E 2.0 tires, Ritchey Rock 440 rear rim, Mavic X317 front rim, 14g stainless
    spokes and brass nipples, 32H Deore disc front and Deore XT disc rear hubs, Deore LX front
    derailleur, Deore XT rear derailleur, Truvativ XR seatpost, San Marcos Titanium Concors
    saddle, Axiom Diet XC grips, Crank Bros Eggbeater C pedals, a bell and bottle cage, and
    that's about everything I think. Ooops... almost forgot... Avid FR-5 levers and BB-5 disc
    brakes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    But couldn't you have found a used complete FS bike that would have been lighter, with a newer fork up front and weighed less, and perhaps cost less and performed better to boot?

Formerly DMR For Life
    I alway thought when I was working at crappy tire that those frames would make a decent bike with the right components

DMR

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    But couldn't you have found a used complete FS bike that would have been lighter, with a newer fork up front and weighed less, and perhaps cost less and performed better to boot?
    Nope...a 2007 Rocky Mountain Element 50 in 18" is the exact same weight... and it retails for $3100cdn, and its suspension functions little better. Not sure if you understand how heavy "complete FS bikes" are these days off the shelf or not but 28.6 pounds is lightweight for an XC bike, and completely unheard of for $900 cdn (which is $800US currently).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Looks amazing man.

Looks like a fun lil bomber you got there

mtbr member
    You missed where I said a used FS bike I think.

That New Old Stock Dual Crown Judy is pretty damned cool though.

Nope, didn't miss you saying used. But unless we're talking STOLEN as a euphamism for used, there's not much chance of finding anything lighter AND better "used" unless its something very old, or very used. In any case, the point to the bike is to show what can be built for a limited budget using brand new parts for the most part, not what can be found by shopping for used bikes.

There is NO production bike from any brand in the past couple years to offer these features, at the price, for anywhere close to that weight. KHS's XC104 last year had the same frame, was $1049USD, had lower spec parts (including a worse a fork, just spring/elastomer, no damping at all), and weighed 7 pounds higher, and even MBA was generally satisfied with how that configuration turned out (other than complaints about the fork). Motobecane is using the same frame (albeit with a different shock) this year on models starting at $1549USD and they're also otherwise lesser components and at a higher weight.

mtbr member
    I see that you had a specific project or purpose in mind with this transformation and you did a nice job.

I guess what I was thinking was working from a used frame (rather than complete bike) for this type of project, for example you could have worked from a slightly used frame and acheived similar or better results. For example there was a 2003 Titus Locomoto for sale on a different forum for $300 shipped with swinger shock. Pair that up with your parts and you probabably would have had a helluva sweet bike for perhaps a bit less than what you spent.

But then again, you have all the parts from the original incarnation of the Raleigh to sell off - so perhaps that is where you come out on top.

Let us know how it rides!

Cheers,

Mark

But again... $300 for a used Titus Locomoto.... I presume yer talking $300US.... plus shipping costs, plus taxes to import to canada. At that price, considering the original price for the frame, its gotta be VERY used and abused. I'd rather begin with a new frame rame with zero problems than a used one with suspect issues. What if the bushings are shot? What if the shock is actually blown ?

mtbr member
    Yep no worries - different strokes for different folks right?

mtbr member

Whoa

OMG, was doing a search and found this thread (sorry for waking up a dead post). But I did the same to the same bike...

Here's a pic of it today:

The data on the rear is wrong though, it's a little less then 4 1/4" travel with the stock 6.5x1.5 shock.

Mine is still used (extremely heavily I'll add). I just freshened up recently a couple months ago (front derailleur was twisted and unreliable, and the bushings in my '04 MX Comp coils were finished - decided it was perfect time for a full overhaul, and still way cheaper to fix and ride then to get a new bike (at least, in my case).

Surprised you stuck it out with the stock rear shock - I found it seriously overdamped and majorly underspring - wouldn't soak up any bumps for me, and when I did get it to move, it was only on hard crash landings which I would end up blowing through travel and bottom out hard. I pitched it at the same time as the fork.

The frame is made by Kenises as you said, and it is the very same frame as used on the KHS XC 604 from 2005 through 2007. The frame received a couple minor update's in '08 (though the overall geometry stayed the same), and the frame continued to be produced up until last year ('12). A good testament of how good the frame is on this bike, too bad it Raleigh made it a dept store bike (mine was picked up at an LBS instead of CT (George Vettor Cycle & Sport), and all the parts on it are from many bike shop's) and really shameful it seriously underequiped.

Anyrate, nice work - hope you had fun with your project. I know I'm still very happy with mine. :-)