mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Brodie Zealot - review

Hi,

I'm demo'ing a Brodie Zealot for the next 3 months and I thought I would post some info here!

Initial Gear Review:

2007 Brodie Zealot

Hardcore riders have been riding Brodie Bikes since 1986. Known for their classic hand-built cross country bikes, Brodie first delved into the freeride scene with the Holeshot, a worthy Shore hardtail that was a favourite among many riders. Brodie followed the burly trend with the Diablo and the 8 Ball. They've always had a bike that stayed close to their cross country roots with the Awl, but the Zealot is their first attempt to bridge the divide between XC and big 8bikes.

The Zealot is an all-mountain 6" bike with a Horst Link rear suspension that has a slacker 68 head tube angle and a longer chainstay than the Awl (which did come as a longer travel bike in 2006). The bike is designed to descend, but has been spec'd with suspension that also makes it easier to climb. Component highlights include a RockShox Lyrik SoloAir fork and Pearl 3.3 rear shock, a selection of Syncros parts: the DS28 All Mountain wheelset, BHT 2.6" tires, Syncros DH Race stem, Bulk 20mm riser bar, Derived seatpost, FR/DH Race leather saddle; Avid Juicy 5 brakes with an 8" rotor, Truvativ Stylo cranks, SRAM X-9 rear derailleur and trigger shifters.

A clean and shiny Zealot, just waiting to get dirty and show what it's made of.

At $3,699, this bike is about middle of the road in price point. The price is justified when you look at the burly frame, with nice welds and really cool purple colour that shimmers in the sunlight. The Lyrik fork with the Maxle quick release is super stiff, easily adjustable and plush. The Maxle is a GREAT idea whose time has come - no longer do you need a tool to remove the front axle to change a flat. The RockShox Pearl 3.3 is also very easy to adjust and very plush. The fork and shock combo provide a super stable riding platform, making a powerful and agile climbing machine as well as one that's plush on the descent.

I have had a few Shore rides on this puppy and so far it has not disappointed. It climbs well, descends strongly and is not afraid of the techy gnar. I may switch out the 100mm stem to one that's 90mm or less since the Lyrik sets the front end a bit high. Other than that, this has been a great climbing and descending machine so far. Stay tuned for the full review once I have a few months on the Zealot.

Suggested retail for the Zealot is CDN$3,699. Contact your local dealer for pricing info if you don't live in the Great White North.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That is a great bike! I've demoed the US version, much better all around bike than my Cyclone(Awl) was. Here is a video of it on one of the small DH trails by my house, nothing too crazy. I'm riding a Damien now, sooo sick, love it.