Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brodie Thread

Tear it all out! SuperModerator

Brodie Thread

Since there wasn't a Brodie photo thread I figured it was time to start one.

Agamemmnon's, Dawgprimo's & sebastian73's Brodie Expressos

Old Brodies and Toads

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is a link to my bike in teh vintage forum. A few others are pictured also.

1988 Brodie Climbmax

mtbr member
    Brodie made cool forks, too.

Gatorblades
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

mtbr member
    Very nice old Brodie Romax featured in
    this thread, from back when a Romax was an mtb, not a cx bike.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Great bikes!!!!
    I won't ever part with my expresso.
    (Considering it is a custom frame..........done in BC.)
    Unfortunately I don't ride it as much as I should

mtbr member

here's a unibomber

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Since there wasn't a Brodie photo thread I figured it was time to start one.
    I have since sold it - the best handling bike I have owned - if only it were steel....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    all brodie rule. they make stronge relyable bikes.and they take a beatting

ups and downs

1 Ball

Just finished up the build of a Brodie 1 Ball complete with a Rohloff Speedhub, it's about to get it's first taste of dirt today. Their standard custom paint program is a pretty cool feature for the $100 CDN extra over the cost of the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Brodie Sovereign

Here she is! Just added to my collection.

I have always wanted one of these and I was so lucky to finally land one. Awesome bike!
    Last edited by lewdvig; 08-24-2005 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Anybody know the year of my Expresso?

Check out my converted SS ride. Anybody know any details? What year, what kind of tubing? How many did they make, seems pretty rare, I can't find too much on it by Googling. Anyone know what its worth?
    Last edited by discoboy; 10-18-2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: fix picture

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by discoboy
    What year, what kind of tubing? Anyone know what its worth?
    That is a 1996 or 97, based on the cable guides (no noodle around the seat tube; cables under top tube). The eXpresso replaced the Catalyst model in '95. It's made out of "Brodie Select" tubing, which is essentially Tange Prestige. New it cost a grand or 1200. This bike was made at the tail end of Brodie's peak period for steel hardtails, which was 88-96ish. It's a really good bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the info, it actually does have the seat tube noodle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by discoboy
    Thanks for the info, it actually does have the seat tube noodle.
    Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the revised noodle, which is U-shaped rather than an enclosed, O-shape tube. The U-shape allows you to lay the cable on it, rather than feeding it through.

Geoff

mtbr member

Whiplash rear cable routing

I pretty sure that is a 1996. My 1996 Sovereign has a similar brake noodle. The 1996 Brodie catalog refers to it as the "whiplash" rear cable routing
    Canadian Parts on Canadian Bikes in Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1997 Brodie Sovereign axle to crown length?

I have a 1997 Brodie Sovereign that I have turned into a single speed. The fork that came with it is a rigid fork but it has never felt right. I suspect the axle to crown is wrong. Does anybody know what size of fork this bike was designed for?

I have tried emailing Brodie but they have never answered my emails and by reading some of the threads above it seems there are many knowledgeable Brodie owners out there who could probably help.

Blakcloud.

mtbr member
    a 1997 Brodie Sovereign will have been suspension corrected for a ~65 mm fork like a judy sl. You can ride an older, "non-corrected" fork, but it will handle a little fast. Not a huge deal. If it bugs you, get a suspension corrected riding fork from Vicious, Spicer, Kona, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign
    a 1997 Brodie Sovereign will have been suspension corrected for a ~65 mm fork like a judy sl. You can ride an older, "non-corrected" fork, but it will handle a little fast. Not a huge deal. If it bugs you, get a suspension corrected riding fork from Vicious, Spicer, Kona, etc.
    Hey GS,

Great thead here, got me thinking about my old 1994 Sovereign so I've just pulled it out of the basement for a resurrection. It needs a new fork, so I was wondering if one with 100mm of travelwould work alright on this era of bike, or is it worth tracking down a shorter travel fork (80mm?)

Cheers

mtbr member
    Your '94 would be better suited to an 80. I'm pretty sure a lot of the newest Marzocchi forks can be set for 80mm. That would be really sweet. Amazing frame. Please post a pic!

G

edit: meant '94, not '04
    Last edited by GonaSovereign; 01-27-2006 at 04:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Sovereign year?

Hi,

I bought last year a Sovereign frame and I was wondering about the year. I'm sorry I don't picture, I don't have a digital camera yet.

What strange is it's looks like it a mixed year feature frame!
    It has straight stays and O shape canti noodle like a -1994 but is has a seatpost collar like the 1995+??? The seller don't know the exact year but assured me the paint and decals are originals. It is very dark blue-purple metallic with Dupont Emron with the older single letter decals.

I builded it with a Marzocchi 2002 Atom Race 80mm and
    I think it is just a liitle bit too high up front. Right now I put a rigid Kona P2 2005 fork for winter riding and it is ok. Maybe a 70mm fork will do the best?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kona1
    What strange is it's looks like it a mixed year feature frame!
    It definitely could be. That's the beauty of a smaller company not restricted to assembly line production: things can change quickly. A 94 or 95 will be fine wiht either a P2 or a 60-70mm fork. Anything more will bump up the front end a lot. That bike absolutely flies with a rigid fork on it. Enjoy, and get us a picture!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What's it worth 97 Brodie Sovereign frame?

I think I would like to sell my 1997 Brodie Sovereign frame with headset and bottom bracket. Does anybody have an idea of what is worth?

It has been repainted and as I have posted before instead of Brodie decals I had it painted on instead. Normal scratches but no dings etc.

I was thinking around $150.00, do you think I can get that?

Blakcloud

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakcloud
    do you think I can get that?
    What is the size?
    Pop an $2 ad on the the Classifieds here, make it $152 to offset the "expense" and it will sell in a hurry.

I am the Lizard King!
    May 2005

My 03' Brodie Brute

Here's what will soon be my main ride. It's a 03' Brodie Brute frame.

(Sorry for the bad picture)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SPAM--Paid my $2.00 Brodie Sovereign Frame

1997 Brodie Sovereign frame and fork

Ad can be viewed here

mtbr member

Brodie Diablo

This is my brother Reese (The Goat) on his 2004 Diablo at Allamuchy, NJ. Great bike, tough, well built, good spec, since the pic it now has an E-13 guide. Once he got the stable platform rear shock it pedalled much better, still descends awesome though. Great Freeride bike.
    "Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

Lumen warrior
    just wanna share my brodie

its a 2004 brodie 9-ball, built it from the ground up, hope u like it guys

I <3 29ers
    Wow, not many of us around, huh?

At any rate ..... my 2000 Brodie Quantum. Beautifully crafted using Tange double butted cr-mo tubing into the 20" monster of a frame you see here (at least I think the year and size are correct). It's nice to have a 20" frame that actually IS a 20" frame.

Bought as a frame and thrown together with "left overs" to see what the frame and the lifestyle (SS) is about. Liking both after a single ride.

Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's better than nothing. I'll post more when I put on better parts more worthy of daytime pics.

IF anyone can tell me more about what this frame was supposed to represent (cheap or decent, racer or rider? etc. etc.) i'd appreciate it.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Actually it's a 20" that's ACTUALLY a 20.5"

The reason brodie geometry is a little different from everyone else's is that the 20.5 is the 1st frame size designed by Paul waaaaaaay back in the day: he built a frame size for himself. And then scaled everything down from there. I assume most companies start at 17-18" and work up and down...

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by tosis
    Actually it's a 20" that's ACTUALLY a 20.5"

The reason brodie geometry is a little different from everyone else's is that the 20.5 is the 1st frame size designed by Paul waaaaaaay back in the day: he built a frame size for himself. And then scaled everything down from there. I assume most companies start at 17-18" and work up and down...
    Well, that explains that! Thanks!

Hmmm, good point with sizing. I never really thought about it untill you mentioned it.

I took a look at the Brodie webiste and checked the archives ..... 2003 Quantum - HYBRID! Ummm, yeah, just a slight departure from what i've got.

Oh well, doesn't really matter to me. I like it and enjoy it. This Brodie is the second Canadian frame i've owned, first being a Maxam Light Heavyweight, years and years ago. Chalk it up to pride thing.

Hey, tosis, from what I gather looking at other posts you've made - you actually work at the Brodie factory? Care to share more, i'm interested in hearing.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

98 Brodie Reactor

Well, it's an old one, But here's my 98 Reactor. Modernized by having a frame welder put a disk mount tab on the rear triangle.

'06 XT shifters and Hydraulic Disks
    '99 Manitou Xvert Fork
    '06 Swinger 3-Way to stable it up

mtbr member
    May 2004

Brodie Dissident, Pearl problem

I bought a RS Pearl from an '07 Brodie Dissident. The Pearl is supposed to be 200 x 50mm according to the sellers' email with Brodie. It is definitley not. If I take the air out and compress it fully the shock travels 1.75".

Any other shock I have used (Fox, Manitou 200x50) travels a true 2". Is anyone aware of this bike using a
    1.75" stroke shock and the original Brodie emailer was wrong or is the shock possibly defective?

The seller will warranty it if it's defective.

If someone from Brodie could enlighten me that would be great as the email I sent directly to Brodie has not been answered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Emails have gone back and forth... May be a stuck down Pearl... Keep us informed Coolatt.

-> SickLines.com <-
    2007 Brodie Dissident

The Lizard King
    Mar 2007

Complete specs

Frame-Brodie Brute (7000 Aluminum )
    Fork-2005 Marzocchi MX Comp
    Headset-WTB Momentum
    Crankarms-Shimano Deore LX
    B/B-Deore LX
    Pedals-Shimano 515
    Chain-Sram 970
    Cassette-Shimano Deore XT 11-32
    Handlebar-Bontranger Crowbar Select O/S
    Stem-Titec El Norte O/S
    Grips-ODI Rogue Lock-On's
    Brakes-Shimano Deore Discs
    Brake Levers-Avid SD 1.9
    Front Hub-Shimano Deore Disc
    Rear Hub-Shimano Deore Disc
    Front Tire-Conti Tracker Pro 2.0
    Rear Tire-Conti Tracker Pro 2.0
    Front Rim-Sun Rims Rhyno Lite 36 hole
    Rear Rim-Sun Rims Rhyno Lite 36 hole
    Saddle-Titec Ithys
    Seatpost-Stock Brodie
    Front Derailuer-Shimano Deore LX
    Rear Derailuer-Shimano Deore LX

*NOTE* Titec El Norte and Bontranger Crowbar aren't shown as they're in the mail right now

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does Brodie still make a lightweight hardtail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1999 brodie unibomber

This is my 1999 unibomber, lime green with a lime green fork, loaded with spot hubs, raceface bits and mavic rims.

it sees a little trail riding, but sure is a blast in the singletrack trails

NATE CORE
    The American Brodie division just stopped by the shop I work at ( Hazards in Santa Barbara) and they are an awesome group of guys.Sounds like they have a good strong customer service. I test rode the Devo and was very impressed on how strong it was and how smooth it rode with the Rocco and 888, easy to flick around as well. I also like the 1.5 headtube. Now, I want one. Damnit! so much for a savings account.

Anyways, that was just my impression of their crew and bike I tested.
    you like dags??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here is my American Brodie Damien, I LOVE it! Changed the fork out to something with adjustable travel so I can get a little more versatile with it. Also great climbing bike for a 7 inch travel rig.

mtbr member

holeshot

Here is my Brodie HT.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great thread as I have a story to tell that is a testament to Brodie's tough frames! On a recent trip to Moab with my wife, we were ending our day's riding on the soveriegn trail. I was quickly loading my Gigolo onto the roof rack, in a hurry to make it back to Poisen Spider bike shop to return my wife's rental bike before closing. I failed to secure my bike properly and by the time we hit the highway it had rattled loose. And at 70 mph it broke loose, first from the quick release, and... while still holding on to the back wheel by the strap the bike wheelied over smashing out our rear hatch window then letting loose and finally doing a swan dive onto the asphalt! Luckily nobody was behind us so the damage was minimized, however after checking it over, amazingly, the frame took no direct hit but the left fork leg was sheared into the lowers all the way through, the front brake lever was pulled out of the diaphram, the stem was slightly filed and the seat was toast. Believe it or not, I taped up the seat and rode it two days later on the log chutes trail in Colorado (with no front brake and weeping fork) with my 11 year old son. First pic. is on Slickrock beforeMoab_Keith_Slickrock2.JPG... second pic. is after,... notice the window and look closely at the seat.Moab_BrokenWindow.JPGWhat can I say but thats more abuse than I'll ever dish out and she's still going strong (with a new fork and brake)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Brodies rock i have a 2007 brodie brute buy brodies they rock and there made in bc,canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I don't think that they are still made in B.C. most probably Taiwan or China like most bike companies these days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

'95 brodie expresso

My pride and joy...I bought the frame back in '94 for $500...

I raced it for years XC, cyclocross, even did trials with it...It just fits me so well and takes a beating...I just installed a new CK headset..

I'm trying a 67'er with it..just waiting for my spokes to come in so I can build my Front wheel.

It's not the cleanest bike out there ..cos it's ridden..

Last edited by Hammerhead XC; 02-12-2008 at 02:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Time to revive this thread. Here's my latest acquisition. A 1989 Brodie Romax. A pretty rare bird indeed. Fillet brazed by Paul Brodie himself. It's a marvel of hand made Tange construction. Sorry I don't have more pics but it's being torn down for a rebuild of my own liking.

By the way... I'm looking for a Brodie Gatorblade fork - that would really finish this baby off nicely.

RomaxFrame.jpg

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    I demo'd an 08 damien tody, felt really nice. Think i might go for the medium. Just wondering how well it climbs (obv not amazingly since 7"), but is it more dh race oriented rather than freeride? Going to take it for a proper trail demo in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My Sovereign, a '98 I believe. A buddy rode it for years, and it's what got me back into mountain bikin' after crushing my vertebrae. Looked like this:

She's been updated with Juicy 7's, minute2's, salsa bars, fixed chainstay, v/canti guides replaced with hydro guides...and looks like this:

Now she's my backup/loaner/rideout machine and I am stoked to have a quiver of mountain bikes to choose from.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tashi, love those classic frames.
    Good looking OBB sticker (have a similar one on my truck over here on the Lower Mainland) on them too - say Hi to Jon for me.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    Time to revive this thread. Here's my latest acquisition. A 1989 Brodie Romax. A pretty rare bird indeed. Fillet brazed by Paul Brodie himself. It's a marvel of hand made Tange construction. Sorry I don't have more pics but it's being torn down for a rebuild of my own liking.

By the way... I'm looking for a Brodie Gatorblade fork - that would really finish this baby off nicely.

RomaxFrame.jpg

Hey, how about an old-school Syncros fork?
    Saw it here:
    http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bik/888062435.html

Cheers,

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast