mtbr member

Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!

Wes over at Motorangutan just got this:

Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-spartan.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Awesome, can't wait to get one. Wish I was in the first batch. I also think they should do a limited run of the alltricks paint

mtbr member
    Here's mine. I have a couple of weeks on it and it's a ripper!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey do you have any feedback yet for the ones that are thinking of getting one?? i want to change my Specialized Enduro for this Devinci Spartan but havent seen any real test reviews out there, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been taking out the XP build of this bike because my Dixon is waiting on a fork warranty. Holy balls this thing soars! I want this bike; what torture! The suspension is the best performer of anything I've tried, been demoing late model Santa Cruz, Giant, and Ibis. Pick your feature, preload the suspension, and fly 2x the distance of my Dixon, which is no slouch. I would love to try one with carbon wheels and front triangle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I've been taking out the XP build of this bike because my Dixon is waiting on a fork warranty. Holy balls this thing soars! I want this bike; what torture! The suspension is the best performer of anything I've tried, been demoing late model Santa Cruz, Giant, and Ibis. Pick your feature, preload the suspension, and fly 2x the distance of my Dixon, which is no slouch. I would love to try one with carbon wheels and front triangle.
    Thanks for the information! Just what I was looking for! Did you feel the bike a little heavy uphill? I'm looking to replace my 2013 specialized enduro comp 26 for this Spartan, what are your impressions up and down hill? How does it behaves in sharp turns?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The XP build is not light, ~34lbs in large, and I can feel it on extended climbs. I think this can be mitigated by swapping the Super Gravity HDs and the Jalco wheels. No doubt the Jalcos are anchors, though they do feel pretty stiff.

I have been a snob in the past about travel adjust forks, but I use the dual position air on this bike, and feel it is justified.

The back end doesn't track as close as the Dixon on tech climbs, and I feel like I can't thread through stuff as precisely, but you can tractor over stuff a little better due to greater small bump sensitivity, probably even more so if I got the gearing I like.

Pedaling is excellent in the big ring, though I do notice feedback in the little ring. I don't care, as I'm a 1x guy, and would rip that front derailleur off as soon as it's mine. Fire road climbs I use the compression switch on the Monarch and it eliminates the small amount of bob in full open.

I think the smartest route to making this a trail bike would be to go the XP build and swap out crankset for a 1x and change wheels immediately, ride the HDs till the side knobs die (6 weeks max), then put on something more reasonable and shreddy like XR4s.

Cornering is predictable. I've been getting the suspension dialed, so I can't say I've pushed it to the max. It's really easy to find the balance point in any given situation. I can get more over the front than I can on the Dixon in turns. Not sure if the suspension is in Hi or Lo mode.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The XP build is not light, ~34lbs in large, and I can feel it on extended climbs. I think this can be mitigated by swapping the Super Gravity HDs and the Jalco wheels. No doubt the Jalcos are anchors, though they do feel pretty stiff.

I have been a snob in the past about travel adjust forks, but I use the dual position air on this bike, and feel it is justified.

The back end doesn't track as close as the Dixon on tech climbs, and I feel like I can't thread through stuff as precisely, but you can tractor over stuff a little better due to greater small bump sensitivity, probably even more so if I got the gearing I like.

Pedaling is excellent in the big ring, though I do notice feedback in the little ring. I don't care, as I'm a 1x guy, and would rip that front derailleur off as soon as it's mine. Fire road climbs I use the compression switch on the Monarch and it eliminates the small amount of bob in full open.

I think the smartest route to making this a trail bike would be to go the XP build and swap out crankset for a 1x and change wheels immediately, ride the HDs till the side knobs die (6 weeks max), then put on something more reasonable and shreddy like XR4s.

Cornering is predictable. I've been getting the suspension dialed, so I can't say I've pushed it to the max. It's really easy to find the balance point in any given situation. I can get more over the front than I can on the Dixon in turns. Not sure if the suspension is in Hi or Lo mode.

Woww nice review I want to buy the RC model but changing the fork for a Pike dual position and the shock for a Cane Creek DB air CS, I think this will make the bike a little heavier but do you think the dual position in the fork will help a lot when climbing? I want to leave the rest as it comes, do you think this bike is a little heavy for enduro racing? I'm more like a rider that goes up hill to enjoy downhills, I'm not willing to do xc with the bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Here's a little info I posted on another site:

Sure thing, I'm happy to share what I've experienced so far.

For reference I'm coming off of a Yeti SB66 Carbon. I rode a SB66 (first alloy, then carbon) for about two and a half years and it was an amazing bike, so the switch to the Devinci was mostly just for a change of pace.

Compared to the Yeti, the geo is pretty close with a few tweaks that I consider improvements - mostly the steeper seat tube angle. The reach on the medium is almost identical, the chainstay length is the same, the head angle is a wee bit slacker and as a result the front center is slightly longer. The steeper seat tube is apparent when climbing and it climbs very well. I've ridden it with the shock "open" about 95% of the time so far and don't really feel the need for a platform unless it's a road or dirt road climb. It pedals great all around too, no complaints there. The Pike and the Monarch feel similar and balanced. I'm riding it in the low/slack position and it rails. The BB is 337mm (spot on to Devinci's numbers)which is nice and low for a 165mm bike. Jumps great too. So far, so good. I'll comment further after I've got more time on it.

In my experience Specialized bikes rely heavily on the damper (via platform/lockout) to minimize unwanted suspension movement. The Spartan does not. It pedals fine with the shock wide open and I'd only use the low speed compression switch for long, smooth road climbs. Also, all models (Xp/RC/RR) have a Dual Position Pike on them. Mine is 30lbs even and the wheels are the best place to upgrade if you want to drop some weight/improve performance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey, Dogboy, thanks for your input. Are you riding a large? Do you happen to know how much your wheelset weighs?

One thing I'm not so excited about is the cable routing. There are two sets of bosses on the down tube, one top one bottom. The top bosses can hold three cables. Everything gets lumped together in a nerve bundle, so if you want to mess with one cable you have to mess with all of them; the quick clips won't work. The rear derailleur cable feeds under the chainstay, rather than through it on my Dixon. I can see pluses and minuses to this, as it sucks trying to push the housing through the partial internal routing on my Dixon.

mtbr member
    Hey, Dogboy, thanks for your input. Are you riding a large? Do you happen to know how much your wheelset weighs?

One thing I'm not so excited about is the cable routing. There are two sets of bosses on the down tube, one top one bottom. The top bosses can hold three cables. Everything gets lumped together in a nerve bundle, so if you want to mess with one cable you have to mess with all of them; the quick clips won't work. The rear derailleur cable feeds under the chainstay, rather than through it on my Dixon. I can see pluses and minuses to this, as it sucks trying to push the housing through the partial internal routing on my Dixon.
    I'm on a medium (5'9.5" tall for reference). The wheels are Industry Nine Torch Enduros and weigh 1680g for the pair. I'm pretty pleased with the cable routing. I'd much rather have them on top of the down tube rather than underneath - the front derailleur cable is the one underneath. I agree about the chainstay cable routing. I like the routing through the chainstay, but the difference in dropout design dictates running it externally. I will say that so far the cable isn't showing any signs of abuse with the routing below the chainstay and I've ridden some really rough trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!

Got my large yesterday. I'm transferring XTR 1x bits from a dead yeti so the build should be in the 30lbs range depending on what I do with wheels/tyres.

In the Uk I wasn't able to buy frame-only so I have an Xp build kit to dispose of.

Not at all sure on wheel options. I settled on Crossmax Sx on my yeti. Crossmax enduro wts is of no interest. All my friends seem to be going down the LB carbon route. Think I ride a bit too heavy for them. Currently looking at wildcard option of Syntace W30/W35.

One question about the reverb stealth cabling. There seems to be a big hole in the front of the seat tube all set to funnel mud and water inside the frame. Is this normal? Do people use any sort of grommet?

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    One question about the reverb stealth cabling. There seems to be a big hole in the front of the seat tube all set to funnel mud and water inside the frame. Is this normal? Do people use any sort of grommet?

I'm not using a grommet but I'm sure you could fab something up. To be honest I don't see how much is going to get in on the front side of the seat tube. Sure there is going to be muck coming off the front tire, but the downtube is so wide I can't see much of anything getting past it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    I'm not using a grommet but I'm sure you could fab something up. To be honest I don't see how much is going to get in on the front side of the seat tube. Sure there is going to be muck coming off the front tire, but the downtube is so wide I can't see much of anything getting past it.
    I suppose I've always reckoned UK riding can be guaranteed to get mud in the parts other countries can't reach. Oh well. I was used to tipping my Yeti SB-66A upside down to get water out of the seattube. I guess there will be new rituals with the Spartan. I may try a Shimano Di2 grommet; probably too small but cheap and available so worth a try. Secondary concern is vibration and the frame taking chunks out of the hose or vice versa.

Wheels sorted. Syntace W30s were in stock and they are on their way. A bit lighter than I'd maybe prefer but they took my fancy. I may think again about the HD Super Gravity on the back. 150mm Reverb Stealth is coming with a RH remote (that I'll run upside down on the left).

I think my initial build is now all lined up. Pictures will follow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!

Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    Pictures will follow.
    The build is probably a little to light in the wheels (Syntace W30=1580g) and rear Hans Dampf (2.25 Evo). Comes in at 28.8lbs without pedals

Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-uploadfromtaptalk1405067355976.jpg
    Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-uploadfromtaptalk1405067408229.jpg
    Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-uploadfromtaptalk1405067316827.jpg