mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Better Trailbike

Which would be better for the money: A Rocky Slayer 50 or a Jamis dakar xlt 2.0?
    The main differences are the suspension (rp3/vanilla rl vs swinger/minute 3) and the brakes (lx vs juicy 7)
    Is it worth it to go for the Easton tubes, and is the Manitou suspension a good idea...
    Any suggestions?

LBS Manager

my opinion

Go with the slayer you cant go wrong with fox suspension(RP3 is the best shock I ever road). The juicys are a way better break but it is cheaper to change them than both shocks. Take a look at the etsx bikes first though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I looked at those two bikes among others when taking a decition about what bike to get. I ended up with the Slayer due to frame/fork and overall weight. I felt that the xlt 2.0 was more of a trailbike/light freeride while the slayer was primarely a trailbike with lighter parts on it.

What I wanted was a plush 5' trailbike that would climb good as well as descend great.. And the slayer has served me well !

The new slayer has 69 degrees headtube while mine have 70. So it'll probably be a little more stable when it's pointing down than mine.

Born of Fire
    I would get the Slayer. It's a little beefier that the ETSX and the Jamis.

customized
    Sep 2003
    The XLT is more of a stable platform bike as the Slayer is intended more for bigger hits. I would say that both are "all mountain". The suspension on the Slayer will feel more plush.

What kind of riding are you planning to do on it and where do you live. I think Jamis is in NJ, so that may make warranty issues and replacement/service parts more accessible.

Louis

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i live in Marin over in California, and im looking for something that'll take the downhills a lot better than my 03 stumpjumper hardtail. But it also has to be good on the uphill. I know manitou has a reputation... and that the rp3 is a great shock. i guess the biggest thing is how the minute 3 compares to the vanilla rl (i have no prob using lockout, and i know someone who has an 04 2.0 who says that they'd rather have a lockout on the minute) The travel adjust would be a great feature to have, but it's not necessary. I just don't know that much about the vanilla and how it performs. I guess what it really comes down to is the reliability of the frame/ suspension on the Jamis. Also, the slayer has some more lx stuff on it while the Jamis has more xt (hubs, frt deraileur) although i don't think it'd make much of a diffence.

livin' large
    I don't know much about Jamis bikes (not really around here in ontario) but I do ride a slayer, and so do a couple of friends of mine ( some of the other guys ride estx bikes, elements, and switch sl's ) and I find the slayer to be a good do it all bike.

The estx bikes and the elements seem to be better uited towards racer types, and lighter smoother riders if taken into really rough terrain, and the switchs seem to be great for hurling ones self off of high obstacles.

I've had a warranty issue with my slayer but rocky was pretty good at sorting it out.

Sooo... I think rockys are pretty good bikes, and I have had a blast on my slayer, I wouldn't buy the jamis as I've seen people having some problems with the manitou stuff (mine's got a marzocchi fork and fox shock {no problems})

Hope this helps,
    Enjoy which ever bike you choose

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Get a devinci Remix 5

4 bar linkage with rocker link and horst link, comparable to RM in build quality. In opposite to ETSX, the rear end is stiff as hell with INA needle bearings in prime. Frame weight is comparable to ETSX and you can change the talas rear shock for a RP3 if you dont want the ajustable travel feature.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

fork

how would the fork on the 2 compare? i no fox has great quality, but i dont know if it is worth it for the travel adjust and the spv...

livin' large
    Manitous are a little trickier to rebuild and seem to change models far more frequently (difficult to get bits down the line) but they have the whole stable platform thing