mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Banshee Model for a fat dude

Hey Banshee experts, I was wondering if the Wraith model would be suitable for a bigger guy like me. I'm 240 pounds, 5'11" and I ride mostly XC--singletrack with small rocks and roots, but nothing too crazy. I see that one of the online places has a good price on an 06 Wraith and was interested in picking it up.

If that's not a good choice, is there another model you'd recommend? Thanks!

mtbr member
    I think the Wraith would be a great deal for someone your size depending on riding style and setup. The boys art Banshee could even talk to you about other particulars you might not have considered.
    Good luck

General Rabble-Rouser
    You sound like how I was a couple months ago

A Wraith should be a great option, but only available as a complete bike. it has a great build, but a little $$.have you considered building up a Chaparral? I scored a mint 04 XL frame/fork/shock combo through the classifieds for a bargain. I'm a little taller and a little lighter than you, but few could ever hurt this bike. overall build stands at 1400 cdn

local trails rider
    Probably it will work very well. It should be sturdy enough for a heavier guy who is not planning to launch off any big obstacles. And also not all that heavy. A lightly built Chaparral would be pretty similar.

I think you are tall enough to need a Large.

Not sure how you the set the suspension for rider weight. Banshee's website says that the Wraith has Manitou Black Super 90-120mm and Fox Vanilla R Coil but that is 2007 spec.

mtbr member
    Banshee's website says that the Wraith has Manitou Black Super 90-120mm and Fox Vanilla R Coil but that is 2007 spec.[/QUOTE]

2006 model has the same spec. and the same colors
    I have a wraith for a year now, i only bought the frame from a friend of mine, but i can say, if you`ll change your mind and start jumping and take some drops go ahead, really strong frame, very fast on singletracks (agile).The only thing bad is the price as a complete bike, but if you can get it cheaper......... . The Chap is an outstanding bike,but for XC rides i really think it`s too much weigt, specially if you have steep climbs on your area. Hope i helped, if you have some questions about the wraith shoot.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by drapeado
    if you`ll change your mind and start jumping and take some drops go ahead, really strong frame
    yup, Banshee does not make weak frames...
    Just thinking that you should not try anything huge with the Manitou Black, before you learn to land a smaller drop smoothly