mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Banshee Chaparral

Im a XC rider, or better, use to be one. After two years of nasty climbs and equal nasty downhills I decide to change my bike for a stronger one, with more travel so that it could handle some jumps and drops. Im really interested on the banshee chaparral frame... Strong, but not to heavy. Have anyone owned this frame? Im having a hard time searching informations on Banshee bikes... This is going to be my first freeride bike and my budget is smaller than I like it to be so any help would be good...

Thanx alot!

Virus
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfapilot
    Im having a hard time searching informations on Banshee bikes... This is going to be my first freeride bike and my budget is smaller than I like it to be so any help would be good...
    You may have already checked here, but if not, take a look at www.bansheebikes.com/bikes_chaparral.php

The Chaparral is one of the bikes I'm looking at. It goes for US$1299 for the frameset. You can also get some information from http://www.go-ride.com/prod_frames_banshee.html. Those might be worth your time to look into.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfapilot
    Im really interested on the banshee chaparral frame... Strong, but not to heavy.
    Actually, the frame is heavy, heavier than a SC Bullit frame or an Ellsworth Joker.

Email I got from them when I asked for more info, was considering one as a trail bike.

> Thanks for your interest in Banshee Bikes. The Chaparral is available
    > with three different shock options, the Fox Vanilla RC, and Romic Twin
    > Tube witch will give you 5" and 6" of travel and the Fox Float RL witch
    > will give you 4" and 5" of travel. The frame weighs approximately 9 lbs
    > and comes in 3 colours, Dark Blue Mica Metallic, Burt Champagne, and
    > Deep Chianti Red. IF you have any other question please give me an
    > e-mail.

I think the weight above is without a shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Smile depends on what you want

I just got it in November (think it was then), and haven't had a whole lot of time to get out with it, but am really happy with the way it rides so far (still tweaking it every ride). I have it set-up more for free-ride than anything else and couldn't even tell you how much it weighs (lots I'm guessing). But, like every other review says. . .it pedals way lighter than it actually is. Have the Romic/Super-T, and while seated I get no bobbing at all. . . If you want it for a more all around bike. . .go with a shorter travel fork. . . and that probably solves a good bit of the pedal bob when standing.

It is also my first full-suspension free-ride bike, and I couldn't be happier with it. The only exception is the paint (the paint sucks if you're riding anywhere muddy). . . go with a lighter color like silver instead of a dark one (black. . .I have blue).

I looked into everything else out there without spending a $1000 more, and it had the right geometry for me, and is just an all around fun bike. If you go with something like the Super-T. . .get a fender (never thought I'd be a fender guy. . .but eating mud is only so much fun)
    Here is a pic of mine:

http://www.go-ride.com/photos/sept03/be_chap.jpg

As far as dealers go. . . very happy with Go-Ride. They're the only ones that actually had enough decency to return e-mails during my pre-purchase search. . .can't say the same for some others.

voodoo-1 (went with flats. . .and had to relearn how to ride. . .but that's another problem)

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

... and if we just ... Take a Chaparral

Hi Alfapilot,

I Have the same history, also an xc biker, and I had the same thoughts for shoosing a bike. I took the chaparral. Well, it's weight is really 9 lbs, but with the vanilla rc. I do freeriding more and more, for the last 2 years. Miles? Who matters? Just have a good time with your bike partners!

My former bike was a RMB Slayer '03. Also an outstanding frame. But after 10 months, I decided to chosse a heavier frame to go save. I took all my parts to this one. With a Marzocchi Z1 Freeride (130 mm travel), the bike is very nimble. And don't hesitate - you can take the drop!

Ciao Jan

banned
    Jan 2004

What size is your Chaparral, and have you weighed it to be...

Quote Originally Posted by drdoom10
    Hi Alfapilot,

I Have the same history, also an xc biker, and I had the same thoughts for shoosing a bike. I took the chaparral. Well, it's weight is really 9 lbs, but with the vanilla rc. I do freeriding more and more, for the last 2 years. Miles? Who matters? Just have a good time with your bike partners!

My former bike was a RMB Slayer '03. Also an outstanding frame. But after 10 months, I decided to chosse a heavier frame to go save. I took all my parts to this one. With a Marzocchi Z1 Freeride (130 mm travel), the bike is very nimble. And don't hesitate - you can take the drop!

Ciao Jan
    ...9 lbs with the Vanilla RC? If so, I may have to put it back on my list, as that would make it the same weight as a Titus Supermoto FR, which is 8 lb with a Float R.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Size and how I did weigh the frame

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlygig
    ...9 lbs with the Vanilla RC? If so, I may have to put it back on my list, as that would make it the same weight as a Titus Supermoto FR, which is 8 lb with a Float R.
    The frame size is Large and I weight it with a body weighing machine. So it may can differ within a couple lbs.

I read that the chaparral should be 700 gr. less than the Scream. The Scream weighs about 10 lbs.

Ciao

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

other shocks?

hi, same storyy for me: I'm a XC biker but want to change to something more exciting: Chaparral.

Does one of you know if the Chaparral can be equipped with other than Romic/Fox shocks?
    I'm thinking of a Manitou coil SPV 4Way shock or maybe even a 5th Element.

Thanks
    C.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    This is a quote from an email from Banshee back in Oct. 03

"The Chaparral is available with three different shock options, the Fox Vanilla RC, and Romic Twin Tube witch will give you 5" and 6" of travel and the Fox Float RL witch will give you 4" and 5" of travel."

They might have changed for 04. Probably best to email them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coccobill
    hi, same storyy for me: I'm a XC biker but want to change to something more exciting: Chaparral.

Does one of you know if the Chaparral can be equipped with other than Romic/Fox shocks?
    I'm thinking of a Manitou coil SPV 4Way shock or maybe even a 5th Element.

Thanks
    C.
    Hi,

I contacted Banshee as I saw that adrenalinebikes was offering the frame with a 5th element shock. I was curious because none of the other shops I visited (or Banshee) offer the frame with this shock.

The answer was that the 5th elements reservoir was too long and will hit the lower tube when fully compressed...........not so good!.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I heard the same story as well.
    The same problem for the Manitou Coil Swinger shocks: piggyback is too long and will hit the frame when the shock is fully compressed.

C.