Bike Hoor

Banshee Chap riders??

Hey guys,

First off, this is NOT A PLUG, but more an information gathering session. We recently picked up the Banshee line and wow.. all I can say is wow. They are just cool, bad-ass bikes. Esquire is riding a Scirroco and I am pounding the hell out of a Morphine (it is winning though).

That brings me to this... how do you guys (Chap riders) feel about the Chap as an all around trail bike. In other words, a bike that be ridden up and then down.... and then up again.. and then down again? Is this thing too heavy for that kind of riding... you know.. the kind of riding reserved for 5 Spot owners and Heckler owners? I have a few guys almost ready to pull the trigger on a few of them, but before they do, I need to know that I am fulfilling their needs as bikers and not putting them on something that is going to be too much bike.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks
    Don
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

user-created

One opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander
    Is this thing too heavy for that kind of riding... you know.. the kind of riding reserved for 5 Spot owners and Heckler owners?
    Heavy? Whatever. I crank mine (45#s with a Super-T) through the biggest climbs around. I've raced XC on it as well as pulled a century or two.

5-Spots and Hecklers are great bikes, but they dare not tread where the Chap will take you.

It's as capable on the lifts at Silverton as it is on buff track in Fruita. It really, really likes to rock-crawl in Moab.

The pivots are well designed using readily available bearings. Everything is very easy to service, and the frame kits include extra pivot hardware and derailler hangers, should you need them.

You can't beat the quality for the price. Really you can't beat the craftsmanship, period. Or the warranty. So fuggin' buy one.
    Last edited by singletrack; 09-28-2004 at 01:08 AM.

user-created

Or another....

Is this thing too heavy for that kind of riding... you know.. the kind of riding reserved for 5 Spot owners and Heckler owners?
    This bikes got some issues. A 13 pound 6" frame is pretty rediculous. The derailler hangers break if you look at `um funny. The paint is pretty lousy too.

Cable/hose routing is a pretty big issue, although it's been addressed somewhat on the '04. These bikes are notorious for kinking hoses. Also, the width of the swingarm forces you to run a 118 bb, which pretty much kills your chain line.

But you should fuggin' buy one anyway.
    Last edited by singletrack; 09-28-2004 at 01:10 AM.

Bike Hoor
    Ummmm.. those responses are bipolar. What am I to believe here?

Besides, we are looking to sell them (as well as ride them), and I want some input from owners/riders of the Chap.

Thanks
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

user-created
    I want some input from owners/riders of the Chap.
    Such as myself. I'm guessing I've been riding a Chap longer than anyone else on the board. I've also already broken one. Was there something specific you wanted to know?

I got a Chap because I needed a shortish travel bike that could climb all day, and still handle the loads produced by a DC fork. If you're not gonna run a big fork, then a lighter frame might be a better choice.
    Last edited by singletrack; 09-28-2004 at 06:11 PM.

Xtremely Moderate
    I love mine. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Started out as a middle-weight trail bike w/ a Z1 and mutated into a DH/FR bike with a Super T just because its so versatile.

I considered a Heckler at one point, but decided to go with more beef. No regrets. I don't think the Heckler or 5 spots are nearly as flexible or strong.

The Chaps are on the heavy side, but really, its not noticeable. They pedal well.

Besides they are tough as nails. I'm 6'5" 225 and have beat the snot out of it and it still rides great.

Cons:
    Singletrack is right about the paint. Total garbage, rubs right off.
    I run a 113mm BB with no problems, just watch what cranks you use. Northshores don't clear the stays well. Truvativs are OK though.

Cable routing is weird, but OK.

If your customers want strength & burl and the ability to run a DC and go hucking in the morning and XC'ing in the evening, then they need a Chap.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by eo
    Cable routing is weird, but OK.
    I've noticed that the freakishly large frames don't kink hoses like the medium does.

You haven't broken any d-hangers? I break like 1 a month....

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack

You haven't broken any d-hangers? I break like 1 a month....
    Not broken, but bent good. I need to replace it soon.

Who you callin' freakish?
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtnjam
    I've noticed that the freakishly large frames don't kink hoses like the medium does
    singletrack, are you riding a medium Chap?
    what ht and wt are you? I've been seriously looking at either a Chap or a Ells moment, but after all the "things" I heard about Ells I'm looking more at the medium Chap, but before I more closely consider it I want to get an overview of which size is right for me.
    I've heard a little something about the Chap toptube being a little short for a taller rider....

as for me I'm 5'10" and 155#. Any recommendations on a good size frame for me?

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    as for me I'm 5'10" and 155#. Any recommendations on a good size frame for me?
    I'm 5'9" @ 150. The medium is PERFECT.

The top tube is gonna be shorter on any "Freeride" bike; it puts you in an upright position, and lets you get alot further behind the bike. That said, the Chap isn't short relative other bikes of the same genre. I rode lotsa Rocky Mountains before I got the Chap, the cockpit is pretty much the same as a RM6/7/Switch. Same with Kona, Cove, etc...

As I mentioned earlier, the hose issue is pretty much resolved on the '04.

Ellsworth is crap. I've sold them for a number of shops and quite frankly, they're as bad as Intense.
    Last edited by singletrack; 10-06-2004 at 01:46 PM.

Xtremely Moderate
    To emphasize my point on the Chaps versatility here's a couple of pics.

1st is of the original build.
    2nd is current.
    Attached Images Attached Images

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by eo
    To emphasize my point on the Chaps versatility here's a couple of pics.
    Look good with the Super. That's how I think this bike should be set up. It still climbs hella good, even with such a tall front end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtremely Moderate
    That's how I think this bike should be set up. It still climbs hella good, even with such a tall front end.
    Yep. Agreed. Climbs good, descends even better.
    I think I've finally found inner peace with this build..................

mtnjam
    thanks for the great info...

I'm gonna try to get to one of the bike shops in Vancouver when I'm up there for a meeting 10/20 'til 10/24. Any good recommendations on shops where I can see one in person?

singletrack, who did your Chap build?

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by ryman
    singletrack, who did your Chap build?
    Uh, me.... I don't let nobody touch my ride.

Yer in Boise, eh? I haven't been up there in a while, but it seemed like there were lotsa good shops. One of the great things about Banshee is that they're sold through QBP, the dominant LBS wholesale supplier. So basically any shop can order one for you. Find a wrench you trust and git it ordered.

It's a bit cheaper to order a frame & kit from Banshee. Their spec is okay, but if you're particular (or peculiar) you may not like what they give you.

I'm UTarded
    I had a Chaparral for this season... you could check out my review here:
    http://www.feedthehabit.com/gear_rev...al_review.html

My take is that the Chap is a great all-around rig, but like was mentioned, it's a bit on the heavy side overall. For larger riders or those who are particularly abusive of their rides, the Chap is a Godsend.

I don't huck my meat off anything larger than a 5-6' drop, so the Chap ended up being a bit overkill for my tastes. For hard-core riding, the Chap can't be beat uphill or down.

I've ridden alot of beefy freeride bikes and the Chap does pedal very efficiently--though that may be due to the Romic. Personally, I like the supple feel of a FOX over a Romic though...