Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm A Balfa Thread - figured I'd start one

I know there are some Balfa riders waiting in the wings to post in this new forum right? So I figured I'd start a thread where we can post about our rigs and throw up some photos and stuff.

Here's a few Balfa Shots to get it going:

I've spent one full season on my Belair and I'm very very happy with it - it can do a little bit of everything really. A truly fun bike!

Soon the Psylo will be gone and a new Manitou Minute will take it's place! May also work on adding a Risse external reservoir to give the Fox Float RL a little more air volume - I rode one set up like this when I was deciding on this full suspension bikes and liked it a lot - and it's only about a $75 project.

Cheers,

Mark
    Last edited by CTRider; 01-01-2004 at 10:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Okay what did I do wrong with the images?

mtbr member

Let's try again

Maybe inserting them as attachments will work
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

figured I'd add the standard bike and couch image too

Here's a shot of my 2Step DH, that is now being happily ridden by a young kid in Boulder Colorado!

mtbr member

Gonna try again a more old fashioned way

From when the bike was being first built up last year:

mtbr member

I've changed tires, stems back and forth, since the initial build - but one thing remains constant, the bike rocks!

mtbr member

These are two shots of me on my Belair from the summer of 2003. The first is from Nepaug State Forest in New Hartford CT and the second one is from Case Mountain in Manchester, CT - two great places to ride in the Greater Hartford Area.

The third one is me landing a sweet jump at Nepaug - part of a downhill section that includes two really nice jumps - one you have to get speed and get distance but you can't get much height so it's tricky, and the second one is just a sweet jump attached to a stump that launches you perfectly into a nice landing area below.

Come on, dare me!
    Nice pics ! It's cool to see the bike in action too (but who's this guy on it ? ;-) Just a question : what's the weight of your Belair (as is) ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome
    Nice pics ! It's cool to see the bike in action too (but who's this guy on it ? ;-) Just a question : what's the weight of your Belair (as is) ?
    I'd say my Belair is in the 27-28 pound range, but that's how I want it. The beauty in the frame in my opinion is that it can easily serve as a lightish xc rig or as a rock solid trail bike as I have it set up.

I am going to put a Minute 3 on it for 2004.

jtd
    mtbr member

Minuteman...

Here is my '03 Minuteman with a Boxxer. A very solid ride. Cannot recommend it enough.

Jake

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd
    Here is my '03 Minuteman with a Boxxer. A very solid ride. Cannot recommend it enough.

Jake
    Sharp looking Minute Man! Where are you located? Do you use it exclusively for freeriding or do you race DH on it as well??

What's your thought of the army green up close? I've seen one 2Step FR in that color and I liked it a lot.

Have fun on that MM!

Mark

jtd
    mtbr member

Minuteman...

Mark-
    I am in the Seattle Area. My minuteman is my only bike and I use it for everything from riding on the Shore, DJ, urban, trailriding, Whistler, etc... It does everything well. Whistler is a little painful after about 10 runs, but it is still good times. It is such a solid ride. As for the color.... I love it. It is a lot more green than I expected, but I like it more than I expected also. Here is a little urban action at UW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd
    Mark-
    I am in the Seattle Area. My minuteman is my only bike and I use it for everything from riding on the Shore, DJ, urban, trailriding, Whistler, etc... It does everything well. Whistler is a little painful after about 10 runs, but it is still good times. It is such a solid ride. As for the color.... I love it. It is a lot more green than I expected, but I like it more than I expected also. Here is a little urban action at UW.
    Cool Shot! Looks like the minuteman suits you well!

conjoinicorned
    pics don't work
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

conjoinicorned

insurance pic, so it sucks but she's here...and she rides soooo nice...
    Last edited by ferday; 05-06-2004 at 01:47 AM.

wompy
    here's mine
    Last edited by bikergeoff; 09-18-2004 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikergeoff
    here's mine
    Hey are you on the NEMBA forum as well? How do you like that with an AVy on it?

wompy
    yeah i'm on nemba. i like the avy alot, but i think it will feel alot better when i get it re-valved for my weight

mtbr member

One of a kind BB7

Here's a shot of my bud's old school BB7. Check the custom chrome-dipped rear triangle.

Wheelie shot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Keep this thread alive!!!

Bringing out the big gunz:

-Adam

mtbr member
    woah - that's a dead sexy bb7!!!! What year is it??

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's an '03 with a '02 Super T (ya the good one )

Best bike i've ever owned. Sweetness all around

-Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

2 Step review HD

Hello former Balfa 2step HD/DH owners. I would like a serious review on the Balfa 2 step DH or HD. I have found most reviews are leaning more over a bias standpoint.
    As a matter of fact, I can't find any review that talks badly about the frame. This is good... I know, but I also am aware these same reviewers have there frames up For sale. Why sell, when it says that you love the bike in the review.
    Could anybody enlighten me with potential flaws with this bike. I am considering buying one. I would like a truly honest oppinion, with all the faults.

thanks, Alain
    Last edited by Ionit; 01-21-2005 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionit
    Hello former Balfa 2step HD/DH owners. I would like a serious review on the Balfa 2 step DH or HD. I have found most reviews are leaning more over a bias standpoint.
    As a matter of fact, I can't find any review that talks badly about the frame. This is good... I know, but I also am aware these same reviewers have there frames up For sale. Why sell, when it says that you love the bike in the review.
    Could anybody enlighten me with potential flaws with this bike. I am considering buying one. I would like a truly honest oppinion, with all the faults.

thanks, Alain
    Alain - if the bike you are considering is a 2003 - then I'd be leery of a really low bottom bracket for a bike designed to do what the 2Step DH is designed to do.

However if it is a 2004 2Step HD - then I would give it serious consideration if the price is right.

You see 2003 was the first year for the 2Step DH and many significant improvements were made in 2004 (higher bottom bracket height, improved chainline, ability to run more types of shocks etc. etc.)

If you decide to get the bike and it is a 2003 - then I highly recommend getting 170mm crank arms to help with the low bottom bracket height - otherwise you'll probably be nailing your pedals a lot on rocks and whatnot.

Good luck!!!

And if you get one - post photos!!

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My 2Step FR

Here's my custom painted '03 "poop brown" 2Step FR. I bought it from an ex-Balfa guy who's now working for Rocky Mountain. It's a super sweet ride. Getting a bit lighter-duty wheelset and hopefully a Fox Vanilla or Z1 Freeride (standard QR) for the long-hauls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

thanks,Blafa 2step oppinions.

Thanks for the honest opinions. That is a nice rig Mike E. When I see a 2step HD frame I am going to buy. Even if it's brown. The brown looks good anyway.

MMcG, I was looking at the new IronHorses and they have the exact linkage and rear axle path as the 2Step DH. This guy called Dave Weagle is taking credit for the design at Iron horse http://www.dw-link.com/. I wonder if this guy is for real or a product of Iron horse's marketing division. Putting all MTB industry conspiracies aside it appears to be a great design.

All this claiming of intellectual property is getting me dizzy.
    The world of mountain biking, they have really got the consumer by the hook.

See ya. thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the honest opinions. That is a nice rig Mike E. When I see a 2step HD frame I am going to buy. Even if it's brown. The brown looks good anyway.

MMcG, I was looking at the new IronHorses and they have the exact linkage and rear axle path as the 2Step DH. This guy called Dave Weagle is taking credit for the design at Iron horse http://www.dw-link.com/. I wonder if this guy is for real or a product of Iron horse's marketing division. Putting all MTB industry conspiracies aside it appears to be a great design.

All this claiming of intellectual property is getting me dizzy.
    The world of mountain biking, they have really got the consumer by the hook.

See ya. thanks for the help.
    Weagle is the real deal in my opinion - he's the guy behind Evil bikes and E-thirteen components too.

I now own an Iron Horse Hollowpoint and I'm excited to give it a go this season (and hopefully for years to come). A friend who owns one called it's ride like an FSR bike on crack - and he meant that in a highly positive way.

I suspect that the 2Step design and the DW design differ slightly if not quite a bit - regardless I owned a 2STep DH demo bike and I loved it - but the 2003 first year run had that issue with too low of a bottom bracket.

Find a 2004 if you can - I suspect there are still some left in the inventory of Procycle as well and if you'd like I could check with them for you. I still remain in contact as I used to work as a part time sales rep for Balfa - now I help riders get spare parts etc. etc.

Or.......if you want a 2STep FR - I think Mike E. there just might be willing to sell his to you.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Procycle contact.

Hey MMcG.

I already sent them an e-mail to info@procycle.com. Asking if they had any Balfa 2Step DH 2004's in stock, they have not replied yet. That is great that you have links to Procycle. I knew I asked the right person about the bike. I wouldn't want to trouble you but if I can't get a hold of someone their on my own. It could be allot more efficient if you lead me to talk to the right person. Someone with the right authorisation would speed my search so much more. Or at least put to rest these ideals I have for my dream bike.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    this is my baby, love it but this is my first time posting on this forum, so if the pic doesnt work dont hold it against me

mtbr member
    Hey MMcG.

I already sent them an e-mail to info@procycle.com. Asking if they had any Balfa 2Step DH 2004's in stock, they have not replied yet. That is great that you have links to Procycle. I knew I asked the right person about the bike. I wouldn't want to trouble you but if I can't get a hold of someone their on my own. It could be allot more efficient if you lead me to talk to the right person. Someone with the right authorisation would speed my search so much more. Or at least put to rest these ideals I have for my dream bike.

Thanks.
    I'll see what I can find out for you.

Both sizes (regular and long) and both colors (gunmetal grey, Gloss Black) are available with shock options of a 5th Element or Fox Vanilla RC .

Check your PMs
    Last edited by MMcG; 01-27-2005 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    mmm new fork, yesss

Now I just need some of those new yellow Deemax's coming out, i'll be all set

-Adam

mtbr member
    Just wanted to let all you Balfa owners know that Procycle has sold the brand to a British company. They promise to revitalize the brand, unlike Procycle who killed it. They have some frames/bikes left for those of you that are interested. Mighty pricey though.
    http://www.balfa.co.uk/

conjoinicorned

anyone still read this thread???

hi,

i have a line on one of the last brand new bel-airs left in canada, i was hoping craigH or another bel-air owner could chime in on how the bike rides for epic xc/aggressive trail riding. i already have a balfa 2step and wouldn't trade it for the world, but it's set up at 45 lbs...

thanks anyone!!!

conjoinicorned
    got the belair, sweet bike. 29# with a psylo (hate the fork will be changed soon), it's been out on a couple easy rides. the geometry is identical to that of my 2step. so is the insanely irritating chainline...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    got the belair, sweet bike. 29# with a psylo (hate the fork will be changed soon), it's been out on a couple easy rides. the geometry is identical to that of my 2step. so is the insanely irritating chainline...
    Yup.
    Happy to see someone is still interested. I must say Balfa owners should have their own owner’s group forum. I would start own myself if only I new how to use PHBB or something like that.
    I don't know anything about the belair. I think it has good geo if I can remember correctly. Like a toned down Freeride bike. What is up with the chain line ferday.

Balfa owners could verywell use a comunity. The brand has a transending quality that people still speak of. In my opinion it could turn into a cult like following (in every good sence of the term)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not a Balfa really, but close...

The only one in Western Canada, and I got it!

10lbs exactly as shown. I'm putting a DHX Air or 4 Way air on it sometime soon.
    Yodo Distribution Inc, Canadian distributor for:

Appalache Cycles, Atomlab, Azonic, Blur Optics, Brembo, E13, Gatorbrake, GRC, Oury Grip, Redraven, SIC, Stone Edge, Unex, O'Neal Motocross.
    Full color cataloge ready for downloading!
    WWW.YODOBIKE.COM phone: 1 800 745-2415 wayne@yodobike.com

www.knollybikes.com > wayne@knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Look Mark finally I found a two Step HD in size large...

i will have the frame home by the middle of next week.and already have all the parts to build it so will be rolling soon after

currentlly I have a large FR that i enjoy extremlly.that i got from skyst3alth

they are extremlly well crafted and design if anything a little heavy, but i'm sure will last a long time.

Before the blue one I have the same model in size regular but sadlly was a little to small for my big body.

actually i really miss the little one,,so far (after about 67 mountain bikes in 25 years) is pretty much the funnest frame to ride i ever own,,

long life to the Balfa guys were ever they are.. and thanks to MMcG "mark" for all his help and sopport

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Congradulations patineto. The 2step is a really good ride.
    I owe my thanks to MMcG also.

Hey wayne@yodobike.com Wow the only Appalache in Upper america. Good luck at the races with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Congradulations patineto. The 2step is a really good ride.
    I owe my thanks to MMcG also.

Hey wayne@yodobike.com Wow the only Appalache in Upper america. Good luck at the races with it.
    Upper America?!!! J/K

I knew exactly where the Balfa BB7 could've been improved and this frame has addressed all those concerns and more. I'm stoked on riding it.

I'm also repping for Knolly Bikes, so I'm torn between the two. I'll have to get some time in on the Delirium frame so I can have the best of both worlds.
    Yodo Distribution Inc, Canadian distributor for:

Appalache Cycles, Atomlab, Azonic, Blur Optics, Brembo, E13, Gatorbrake, GRC, Oury Grip, Redraven, SIC, Stone Edge, Unex, O'Neal Motocross.
    Full color cataloge ready for downloading!
    WWW.YODOBIKE.COM phone: 1 800 745-2415 wayne@yodobike.com

www.knollybikes.com > wayne@knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I got my new (to me) Balfa 2-Step HD yesterday and already build it..is a 2003 next to the last production year of the model the 04' feature a taper down tube, the one i have usses a none taper one..

here are some pictures for your pleasure.

I'm going to try to run a two chainring set up on it, so far is a little problematic because the rear triangle hits the derreileur since the lower links moves pretty much in a vertical path.

I even made a nice chainstay warp ussing a "Mister tuffy" tyre protector,, works extremlly well is quiet, looks nice and for sure is super dupper Tuffy..

Any way i'm super impress with the design and quality of this bikes,they are so simple and honest i'm sure is going to last for a long time, i just wish they were a little lighter but is no big deal.
    Last edited by patineto; 12-31-2005 at 08:24 PM.

conjoinicorned
    nice to see that there is still interest in the greatest of canadian bikes! i can't wait till appalache creates some more FR/XC type frames, i'll be first on the list...

ps. ionit....the chainline is very difficult to get straight on teh balfas due to weird clearances on the rear end. once it's set it's all good though. nice rides guys, i want the olive green minuteman near the top of the post...

sorry for the poser pics...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    nice to see that there is still interest in the greatest of canadian bikes! i can't wait till appalache creates some more FR/XC type frames, i'll be first on the list...
    I glad to know i'm not the only crazy for them...

this little Balfa's Rule..

ps. ionit....the chainline is very difficult to get straight on teh balfas due to weird clearances on the rear end. once it's set it's all good though. nice rides guys, i want the olive green minuteman near the top of the post...
    You know i run old school square Taper XTR on Blue one with a 113 philwood (adjustable) bottom bracket with out any trouble,,actually i bevel the edges of the crank (back side of the pedals a little, since they were very close to the chainstays (my fault since I run a really thick chainstay protector )on the FR and the chain line is pretty much optimal, the only "problem" so far is the 46T chainring riders a little to close to the chainstay (about 3MM) and 2-3 times i got chain suck that way,,, the HD 2-Step configuration is very dferent but i still think you can run a similar set up (I run two rings and a E-13 guide)

first TWO squematic (borrow from the english company that sells them now)
    the FR geometry

This is the HD, notice how the lower linkage runs above the Bottom bracket on this model and under the BB on the FR you have

side by side "posser" Foto, sorry for the messy workshop.
    I trade shock in between the two bikes yesterday.

Now the Avalanche is on the Grey one and the Foz vanilla is on the Blue one.

oh are you running the cables on this bike (i never see on of them in person),,,,zipties...!?!?
    do they come with typical "bolt on guides" or not...?
    I quess will be impossible for the back one, since the shock resides inside the frame

sorry for the poser pics...
    I love the green color...Ah perfect posser coment or what..
    Last edited by patineto; 01-04-2006 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here is mine, tough I sold it last week-end!

Well, it's now time to wait for the M3

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nice Balfa's. I just bought a brand new 2003 2step dh frame. It's never been built, found it at a local shop. Can't wait to build it up and ride it this season.

I've seen a few people running e.thirteen chain guides on thiers. I thought it wasn't compatible to run one on a 2step, according to the ethirteen website it's not do-able. Do you have an e.thirteen on your Balfa 2step? Which guide model are you running? Did it go on easy, or take some modification and struggle? I already have an e.thirteen srs but thought I couldn't use it on this bike, and was going to buy an MRP.

Also, any set-up tips for my 2step? I'm going to start building next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phade1_98
    Nice Balfa's. I just bought a brand new 2003 2step dh frame. It's never been built, found it at a local shop. Can't wait to build it up and ride it this season.
    Good for you i warranty you "love at first ride" and " Tuxocs smile sindrom since you can not stop grinning after you get on it..

I've seen a few people running e.thirteen chain guides on thiers. I thought it wasn't compatible to run one on a 2step, according to the ethirteen website it's not do-able. Do you have an e.thirteen on your Balfa 2step? Which guide model are you running? Did it go on easy, or take some modification and struggle? I already have an e.thirteen srs but thought I couldn't use it on this bike, and was going to buy an MRP.
    well Evil never meet ricky and his dremmel, actually the E-13 was really simple to install (on my 2003 at least) with verry little grindings, for a few days i run a guide for a Single but currentlly i run the daul ring with a heavilly modified comvensional front derreiluers since the chainstay was hitting cage when the suspension got compress.

I will try to istall it, specially if you have one already, since the other brands are just not even close to the quality of the E-13 stuff

Also, any set-up tips for my 2step? I'm going to start building next week.
    well many can tell you about the suspension better than I can but i will suggest.
    *take the linkages apart and use a little x-acto knife or something sharp to take the bearing seals and then add grease since i notice they come kind of drie from the factory, so far locktyde is not necesary but is always a good thing to apply just in case.

*the chainstays flex a little so be sure to leave at least 3mm clearance for the a cranks (will hit next to the pedals) Plus is nice to have some wraping on it like "mister tuffy"

*i like to run my cables from the left levers to the right and viseversa and route them inside the frame gussets and then crossing the wires underneat the downtube, is a little thick but works extremlly well.
    for example i run the rear shifter and the rear brake right on top of the linkages with very little grow, works exelent, no shifting ghost and very clean and scracth free.

Here is the whole foto gallery of thatbike

more comments when i'm more awake.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Great tips. Thanks. Can't wait to start building it.

conjoinicorned
    hey guys, just picked up a minuteman to add to the balfa fleet, i'll post pics this weekend! now all i need is a bb7...!

and phade, i run a DRS on my 2step, required a bit of grinding but it's obvious where it needs to be done once you set the thing up.

mtbr member
    Cool thread, hopefully i can contribute to it soon.
    WTB: Ritchey Plexus
    DiNotte 200 lights

automobiliana.blogspot.se

conjoinicorned
    so heres the minuteman, it's old skool styles, i'm waiting on pricepoint for some brakes. also got a fork for the belair (am sl) and getting the rear shock push'd.

mtbr member
    Ricardo - regarding cable routing on the Belair - there are some guides that you can use to run cable along the frame - not perfect, but they are there.

I had a Belair and it was one helluva fun bike. I should have gotten a Long frame instead of a regular.

had I done that I probably wouldn't have gone through so many damned bikes in the last couple of years.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast