Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator

New question here. Anyone know anything about the Norco Team 853 HT?

I'm looking at a new Norco Team 853 frame to replace my commuter frame but I'm having a hard time finding info about it.

The latest info I can find on Norco's site is a mention of the frame in 2000, but I've found people on the net selling 2002 versions.

I've emailed Norco sales and they are either all on holiday or aren't responding to my email. What I'd most like to find is a geometry diagram.

Anyone know anything about them?

Here are a couple of pics of a built up bike. (I played around with balance and contrast so you can see more detail and decals.)

USB Rep'n
    I really can't add much other than the fact that, visually, the geometry looks exactly like my RM Blizzard (also 853). I LOVE my Rocky and it rides incredibly well even with the slightly slacker head tube angle I get from using a 4" fork on it. It's a great trail bike and handles both the steeps and climbs great. I run it as a SS (32x17 works perfectly). Reecently I've had it at the bmx track and an indoor skatepark and the thing performed like a champ.

Being of Canadian heritage, like the Rocky, I have to think that Norco would have the exact same feel. The 853 tubeset is especially nice. It's not too harsh but not flexy either. You just feel really connected to what the bike is doing at all times.

Hope this helps in some roundabout way. If worse comes to worse, get the Rocky from Simon's, I think they are the cheapest out there.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

The RM Blizzard is more than double the price of the Norco. So is the Cove Handjob.

The Norco frame is made in Taiwan.

Norco's XC HT geometery from 2001, I just want to find out if this is applicable to this frame.
    http://www.norco.com/bikes/xc_geometry.htm

I'd like a Blizzard or a Cove, but I can't justify the $$$. This would be more of a back up mtn bike, and regular commuter.

My old GT Avalanche (Tange Prestige) doesn't have enough stand over to use it for trail riding. It has a couple of other problems too, no disk mount, and the brake mounts are for a U-brake (that will give you an idea of how old it is!)

OG lurker

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    The RM Blizzard is more than double the price of the Norco. So is the Cove Handjob.

I'd like a Blizzard or a Cove, but I can't justify the $$$. This would be more of a back up mtn bike, and regular commuter.
    Another post with no Norco info. The Norco looks pretty nice, but if it doesn't work out how about an RM Hammer?

I've got an older Blizz, 725, which I love. From what I understand, the new Hammer's are the same as my Blizz. Not sure if the Hammer's BC built. I've beat the snot outa my Blizz, I'm 6'3" 200#, and nary a wimper.

edit: I looked around a bit, and the only info I found was for an 853 trials frame. Unless the folks at Norco tell you otherwise, I'd proceed with caution when buying what could be a steel XC bike with an 853 sticker on it. It seems kinda weird to me that they haven't listed that bike on any of the archived sites.
    Last edited by anon; 01-01-2004 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a Rocky Blizzard too and I love it.I've seen three of the brown Norco 853 frames that cracked or had alignment problems.I wouldn't buy one of the brown ones.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

The Norco frame is made in Taiwan.

Norco's XC HT geometery from 2001, I just want to find out if this is applicable to this frame.
    http://www.norco.com/bikes/xc_geometry.htm

My old GT Avalanche (Tange Prestige) doesn't have enough stand over to use it for trail riding. It has a couple of other problems too, no disk mount, and the brake mounts are for a U-brake (that will give you an idea of how old it is!)
    Yo Craig. The geometry didn't change for 2002. The 853 is a stiff frame - not your traditional steel feel.

Hi Lee:

I found out through a indirect contact at Norco that the frame is actually a 2000 model.

Did you have a Team 853, or ride one?

Apparantely the 2001 geometry chart on the Norco site is correct.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have one of those bikes. Might be a little older than what you're looking at though, I think mine is a 96 or 97? Anyway, back then at least, it had pretty traditional race geometry, 71/73 angles as I recall. Nice ride, although the S-curve seatstays kinda limited tire clearance. Might want to look into that if you want big tires...

Thanks for the info!

Do you have any pics?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's a couple pics. They are not necessarily of the bike only, but maybe they will help... they were all I could find.
    Last edited by slowride; 06-14-2006 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also found this picture on Google...

I found a pic of the actual frame. (Sorry about the size and quality.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like it hasn't changed much, except for the addition of disc brake tabs. I forgot the other thing I don't like about mine... the Breeze dropouts. They have like a cup around the QR area, making it hard to A) tighten the QR nut and B) close the lever in a position that does not leave it open to being flicked open by a passing branch.

I never had any cracking or misalignmetn problems with mine. But I think it was made in Canada, not Taiwan.

mac
    high school Prom King

I thought they...

stopped production of that frame in 2000?

I've since found out through a friend of a friend that 2000 was the last year they made a 853 HT. What is weird is that some Norco dealers now seem to have frames in stock.

My guess is that Norco sold off some of the frames they were holding for future warranty purposes.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I've since found out through a friend of a friend that 2000 was the last year they made a 853 HT. What is weird is that some Norco dealers now seem to have frames in stock.

My guess is that Norco sold off some of the frames they were holding for future warranty purposes.
    Craig I rode the pea soup green frames; for some reason I think its 1999 but I could be wrong. Dario at Cyclepath had the same kind of frame you just pictured. They're both identical geometry. Norco never changed the geometry. They;re a pretty twitchy geometry; good for tight singletrack - not so great for fire road bombing. I had a Superfly on it. The Superfly was first generation 1999 and that is a 3" fork and it worked well

If its a good deal I would snap it up. You're careful enough you won't snap it. The paint will chip easily on the 1999 model I had

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Craig I rode the pea soup green frames; for some reason I think its 1999 but I could be wrong. Dario at Cyclepath had the same kind of frame you just pictured. They're both identical geometry. Norco never changed the geometry. They;re a pretty twitchy geometry; good for tight singletrack - not so great for fire road bombing. I had a Superfly on it. The Superfly was first generation 1999 and that is a 3" fork and it worked well

If its a good deal I would snap it up. You're careful enough you won't snap it. The paint will chip easily on the 1999 model I had
    ~$250-299Cdn for a new frame worth it? Same sort of money buys you a generic aluminum HT or a generic steel jump frame.

I have a 3" AtomBomb (no disk) or a 4" Z1 I could use as a fork.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    ~$250-299Cdn for a new frame worth it? Same sort of money buys you a generic aluminum HT or a generic steel jump frame.

I have a 3" AtomBomb (no disk) or a 4" Z1 I could use as a fork.
    Yes! I would get that frame in a heartbeat for that price

mac
    high school Prom King

I believe...

they still sold the Team Ti after 2000.

I believe LeeL had/has one of those (although you probably already know that). I also think he rode the 853 prior to that. I was seriously interested in both the Team Ti and Team 853 back in the late 90s but opted for a Dekerf Team SL because I found a decent deal.

If I found a new Norco Team 853 at the right price, I would snatch it up in a minute.

Code Burr

some on ebay

I almost bought a norco team 853 last year, theres a guy on ebay who had some.
    That pic of the black one looks just like the pic they sent me.
    If you cant find one, get a rocky mountain hammer or blizzard.
    The hammer is heavy as hell but you wont break it.(5.4lbs)
    The blizzard was what I really wanted, but the cheapest I could find it for in the US was for $500 just for the frame. So I got a brodie catalyst and havent looked back.
    Try john henry, they could probably order you one.
    They cost about $300-$400 US, might be more in Canada but no shipping so...
    The brodie is sweet as hell, tange prestige tubing, not as lite as the blizzard but
    so sweet. It does have the breeze drop outs, which I love and have never had QR problems with Salsa skewers.
    Trying to post a pic of mine.....

Code Burr

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I found a pic of the actual frame. (Sorry about the size and quality.)

Craig,

I had that frame. I believe it was a 2000. I used it for a couple months as my first converted singlespeed before going to a dedicated SS frame. Loved the Norco geometry and feel. Pretty much spec'd my Seven Ti SS EBB around the Norco 853. Too bad Norco doesn't make the Team 853 anymore, or, the Team Ti, for that matter.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B.
    http://www.one-speed.com

Quote Originally Posted by mike@one-speed.com
    Craig,
    I had that frame. I believe it was a 2000. I used it for a couple months as my first converted singlespeed before going to a dedicated SS frame. Loved the Norco geometry and feel. Pretty much spec'd my Seven Ti SS EBB around the Norco 853. Too bad Norco doesn't make the Team 853 anymore, or, the Team Ti, for that matter.
    Thanks for the info Mike!

Hoping to pick the frame up this weekend.

mtbr member
    So what happened Craig - did you get the Team853??? I know some guy named Larry was selling a black one in 20" late last year over on nsmb.com....is that the one you were looking at?

I had the 20" Torrent in its XC form - shares same geometry and I can say the angles were great!! Slap a 65-80mm fork on there and you're set. My friend had the yellow 853 - the dropouts were a bugger to get wheel on and off, and he ended up ovalizing the headtube with a 100mm fork. So, limit your fork to 80mm and a v-brake and you'll likely have a frame that will last years and years on the trails.

No, the one I was looking at was new at a LBS. By the time I got an email response from Norco (it took a month) it has sold. They still have a new 22" though. I've heard of a smaller (~17") frame over on Vancouver Island.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast