The Sentinel

Anyone here heard of Dark Cycles?

I've been casting about for a steel hardtail, and came across their website. The Supernove looks like a promising prospect. Anyone ever seen or ridden one of these? I'd be interested in your feedback. Thanks.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    They had a display booth at the Toronto Spring bike show. Their weld quality, build quality, and overall finish looked okay but not quite there yet. They are still working out a lot of design issues any looking for engineers and CAD/CAM people to further the designs.

The Supernova is constructed of the cheapest materials acceptable for a bike. I don't know if I would trust the bolt on dropouts as there is a long lever from the axle to the bolts that hold it on. Also It seems that the frame design has several types of intended riding but never gets all of them; tire size, frame weight, and fork length of FR, BB height and chainstay length of XC race, set and head tube angles of XC/AM.

I believe they are trying to sell them at near custom or boutique prices too. I would probably pass on these for now.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

The Sentinel

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    I would probably pass on these for now.
    I'll wait to see what happens with them. Thanks.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    here's a pic I found..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    The Supernova is constructed of the cheapest materials acceptable for a bike. I don't know if I would trust the bolt on dropouts as there is a long lever from the axle to the bolts that hold it on.
    Steel may be cheap, but 4130 is still over twice as strong as 7005T6 aluminium, and that's before its heat-treated. As to bolt on dropouts, they're trusted by Santa Cruz on almost all their models.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you're looking for a quality steel frame, check out Chromag Bikes. Whistler-based company, really nice product. Bunch of variations on the theme too.

http://www.chromagbikes.com/
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'd suggest doberman myself, they're in gatineau, quebec.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread