chips & bier

Anybody want to part with an 3D Link for an Element?

Anybody here have a spare (used) 3D Link for a '01-'03 Element/Instinct lying around? I ask as I've just overhauled my pivots, and I've been a bit lazy regarding replacing bushings, so everything's a little worn.

I'd like to replace two of the three 3D-Link pivots by industrial bearings - which should be quite easy to do with the right tools. Thing is, I need a second set of linkage plates, as I don't wont to be left linkless if I make a mess of it. So anybody have spares lying around? Or know of a shop w/ spares (willing to ship to Europe)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hello Eric. A buddy of mine might still have his old worn 3-D Link from his Element. You could e-mail him at lentravis@yahoo.ca .The town he lives in has numerous Dutch immigrants (I see you are from the Netherlands). You might be able to make a swap for Salted Licorice Ha Ha .Best luck Gerald

chips & bier

Thanks, I'll drop him a line...

It may be a goofy project, so I'm going to run everything trough AutoCAD, maybe Ansys before I start trying and buying. The main thing is finding the links and a place where I can machine a couple of axles.

Thanks!
    eRIC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    It may be a goofy project, so I'm going to run everything trough AutoCAD, maybe Ansys before I start trying and buying. The main thing is finding the links and a place where I can machine a couple of axles.

Thanks!
    eRIC
    Please keep us updated with this project. I really would like to replace my bushings with bearing if possible. THey just seem to last longer.

Thanks

Ming

customized
    Sep 2003
    Always the tinkerer Eric!

chips & bier

A couple of issues I've already found...

1. I need a neat way to fit an axle into the main-frame / 3D link pivot location. Just whacking a piece of stainless steel in there may not be the best option.

2. I don't think I'll replace the bushings of the pivot near the dropout. That might mean drilling into my chainstay, which I'm not prepared to do.

3. The pivot near the BB is also a challenge. I'm don't yet have an idea of how I'm going to put industrial bearings in there without removing material.

Given this all, however, I've found the three pivot locations that show the most wear (and would probably benefit most from cartridge bearings) are:

> The rear end of the shock. I removed by Float (nitrogen leak) and now use a DT Swiss SSD with spherical bearings.
    > The pivot mentioned in (1)
    > The seatstay pivot.

The latter two do have room voor mounting industrial bearings, as all that is needed is a pair of custom axles and two bearing press-fit into the 3D-Link.

Priority as this week is customizing some Hayes levers. After that I'll have some time to do the measurements required and get onn the drawing board. If I can I'll try to use 6001 or 6000 series bearings, which are relatively easy to come by. Updates soon...hopefully!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Although I am a Canadian, I subscribe to the German magazine BIKE. I can remember in one of the issues, there was a picture of an aftermarket 3-D Link you could purchase that featured sealed bearings. This might be the easiest way to go, and I will have to do a more thorough check for the third time so as I can get you the information on this source.It's cool that this German magazine is where you will see for the first time any new product, before you see it in the American magazines.

chips & bier

Peak Rocky-Links

I know a German company called Shock Therapy (Fox distibutor) used to sell Peak parts, including a Special Ed FSR-XC linkage and custom 3D Link plates for the Element. This would set you back ?129,- and boost travel - no bearings on the version in the mag in front of me, though.

I've got easy access to all kinds of bearings, and machining a set of axles would be a piece of cake. The only problem is I no longer have access to machinery (only did in the first two years of college) so I have to get a friend to mill everything.