Bike to the Bone...

Any information on a Banshee Viento

Hello, I'm looking for a HT. I ordered a SC Chameleon, but my LBS didn't deliver. I was searching and came to the Banshee Viento. I really liked the information I got from Banshee website, but I would like to hear from user what they think from the frame. I want to put a Fox Talas fork on it, and the built will be mid-level (LX,XT,Deore components).

local trails rider
    Never seen a Viento live...
    I think the Scirocco (what I ride) would be more in the same class with the Chameleon: tough and stiff but does not weigh a ton, can be set up for XC trails or light freeride.

Powder King lift jockey.
    Hmmm, I seen any or heard any reviews on them yet, its a new model for 2006. Check out NSMB, the folks on the north shore should know a thing or two about the frame, this however I can say, if its quality you want, with Banshee...its quality your gonna get, everything I've ever seen from them has been top notch plus they have apperantly have one of the best (slowest but best) warranties in the bussiness, 10 years on the frame I think.
    J-bro

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Never seen a Viento live...
    I think the Scirocco (what I ride) would be more in the same class with the Chameleon: tough and stiff but does not weigh a ton, can be set up for XC trails or light freeride.
    I've also looked at the Scirocco, and really like it. But I really don't do hucks or jumps, more on a XC stuff, but I want to put a 130 mm fork, and I'm 230 lbs, so I just want it to be burly enought so I don't need to worry about it.

Right now I have a Titus Moto Lite and I think that's a pretty good bike for the riding I do. I want a nice, reliable hardtail for fun riding, not XC racing, but also I'm not a freerider, too old to try it (sounds lame, hahaha). I'll think on it, I'm searching to see if I can buy one in Mexico or if I must buy it from the States.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I've also looked at the Scirocco, and really like it. But I really don't do hucks or jumps, more on a XC stuff, but I want to put a 130 mm fork, and I'm 230 lbs, so I just want it to be burly enought so I don't need to worry about it.

but also I'm not a freerider, too old to try it
    I am no freerider either, but I want my bike to have some room to progress towards a little bigger stuff... I am only 43 myself, and not that much lighter than you. My being not-light weighed quite a bit in my decision to get a frame that is a little over built for what I am doing with the bike right now.

My Scirocco is with a 105 mm fork now, and that makes it a little steep. 130 mm would work very well.

Bike to the Bone...
    Perttime, thanks for the advice on the Sciroco. I think I prefer the Viento, but it depends. Mostly in what I can get in Mexico. Probably I would have to order the frame from the States.

The other bike I could get is the Covee Stiffee FR. I think that the Stiffee would comparte more to the Scirocco, right?

Price wise, the Viento and the Stiffee probably would cost me similar (one I have to order it from the States, the other I would order from a LBS here in Mexico), but the scricocco would cost me probably 150 bucks more.

Another option I was looking at was the Azonic Ds-1 (one friend is selling me one used for a very good price, and the condition seems pretty nice), but I think that frame is more DJ and Urban, I want something more for trails.

local trails rider
    The other bike I could get is the Covee Stiffee FR. I think that the Stiffee would comparte more to the Scirocco, right?
    I think so. I have never seen a Stiffee live, but what I have seen on their website and some reviews, they are made for similar types of riding. Looks like the Medium Stiffee is slightly longer than the Medium Scirocco.

Bike to the Bone...
    edited.... wrong thread..jajajaja

I just ordered the Viento, I expect to have it maybe in a month and a half or so. I just need some logistics before sending the bike, so I'll have to skulk and wait..

I'm taking some parts from a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR frame I had, plus some new ones.

Here's the build so far:

Large Viento
    Fork: Fox Talas R
    FD: SRAM X-Gen
    RD: Shimano XT
    shifters: Shimano Deore
    Brakes: Hayes HFX-9 (8" rotor front, 6" back)
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    Headset: Cane Creek S-2
    Stem: Vital 90mm or RaceFace 110mm (depends on fit)
    handlebar: Easton EA30 monkeylight (27" wide)
    wheelset: (1-dirt) Shimano XT hubs / Mavic XM819
    (2-road) Shimano Deore, Specialized something hubs / Mavic 117 & 618
    Cassette: Shimano something, maybe deore level (from my Stumpy)
    Crankset: Shimano something, maybe deore level (from my Stumpy)
    Bottom b: Same as above
    Tires: (1-dirt) Panaracer Cinders 2.1 UST
    (2-road) WTB slickasaurus
    Peddals: Shimano 512 contact
    Last edited by rzozaya1969; 06-28-2006 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    edited.... wrong thread..jajajaja

I just ordered the Viento, I expect to have it maybe in a month and a half or so. I just need some logistics before sending the bike, so I'll have to skulk and wait..

I'm taking some parts from a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR frame I had, plus some new ones.

Here's the build so far:

Large Viento
    Fork: Fox Talas R
    FD: SRAM X-Gen
    RD: Shimano XT
    shifters: Shimano Deore
    Brakes: Hayes HFX-9 (8" rotor front, 6" back)
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    Headset: Cane Creek S-2
    Stem: Vital 90mm or RaceFace 110mm (depends on fit)
    handlebar: Easton EA30 monkeylight (27" wide)
    wheelset: (1-dirt) Shimano XT hubs / Mavic XM819
    (2-road) Shimano Deore, Specialized something hubs / Mavic 117 & 618
    Cassette: Shimano something, maybe deore level (from my Stumpy)
    Crankset: Shimano something, maybe deore level (from my Stumpy)
    Bottom b: Same as above
    Tires: (1-dirt) Panaracer Cinders 2.1 UST
    (2-road) WTB slickasaurus
    Peddals: Shimano 512 contact

Hi Roberto,

Havenīt you considered using 6in rotors on both wheels? I mean, an 8in rotor in the front for a trail HT seems too much for me, moreover, the HFX are very powerful and lack of modulation. It could be more stopping power than what you could need, and with out the modulation it can turn against you. well just an opinion.

So, how are you bringing the bike dude? have you decide it yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    ...es como acomodarte los calzones, seguro lo puede hacer alguien pero es mejor que lo haga uno mismo

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by ritopc
    Hi Roberto,

Havenīt you considered using 6in rotors on both wheels? I mean, an 8in rotor in the front for a trail HT seems too much for me, moreover, the HFX are very powerful and lack of modulation. It could be more stopping power than what you could need, and with out the modulation it can turn against you. well just an opinion.

So, how are you bringing the bike dude? have you decide it yet?
    I still haven't decided. Probably have a friend in DFW to Fedex or UPS the bike and see how it comes.

And yes, the 8 inch looks huge on the wheel, anyway, I have already bought it, so at least I will try it.....