mtbr member
    Jan 2005

5th Element Travel Upgrade on a Cove G Spot

Anyone tried upgrading their 5th to a 2.25" stroke on their G Spot? If so how's it turned out?

mtbr member

not a good idea

I went thru a phase where I thought of everything to increase the travel on my G spot by an inch. A 2.25 stroke shock in place of the 2.0 would as far as I can tell cause the rear tire to bottom out on the seat tube before finishing it's stroke. That could be seriously dangerous to rider and bike on a hit big enough to push the shock shaft that far. I cycled my 2.0 stroke 5th trhough it's travel and it seemed to bottom out at the bumper just before my 2.5 tire hit the seat tube. A longer shaft on the shock would cause the rear wheel to move further forward and upwards as it strove towards the bottom out bumper, and there is very little room there believe me. Cove specs 'em with a 2.0 and I imagine they know what they are doing. Alternatively you could run a 24" wheel in the back and you might be able to get away with it.
    G
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervo
    Anyone tried upgrading their 5th to a 2.25" stroke on their G Spot? If so how's it turned out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks Lambhead. I had a closer look and decided the brace across the linkage plates on my frame would hit the seat tube if I had a 2.25 stroke shock on so have ditched the project altogether.

In the meantime I've also had my shock tuned by Tim Flooks at TFTuned, and to be honest I don't think the bike really needs the extra .75" now anyway. The shock is much more supple and controlled all the way through the travel now so I'm happy with my lot.

I'd recommend trying TF out - its made a BIG difference to my bike.