mtbr member

3D-Link vs Giant NRS

I went over to my friend's house for dinner tonight and drooled over at the bike his dad just purchased. It was kind of a funny story because I went to the Toronto Bike show a few weeks back, and there were two bikes I was seriously considering of buying. My Rocky Mountain Instinct and the Giant NRS-1. When I went back to the Giant dealer the 2nd time, someone has already walked off with the bike, and it turns out to be a good friend of mine's father who has bought the bike.

Anyways, after drooling over the bike for a bit today, I was curious if I had made the right decision about my purhcase. I mean, I love how my rocky mountain rides, but there is always a little bit of doubt if I made the best decision for my riding style.

So, does anyone know a lot about the difference between the rear suspension design? The Giant's rear suspension did seem to be more plush, but I think it bobed a little bit more under pedaling compared to the 3D-link design. Also, as a big Formula 1 fan, my friend's dad said Renault designed the Giant rear suspension, which had a good wooooo factor for me

Also, for the same price, which bike would you have bought for XC racing? The Giant has a persumably better fork, brakes, and wheel set, but my rocky mountain is much lighter than the Giant.

Opinions/ideas???

Ming

Pics:

Rocky Mountain 3D-Link

Giant NRS
    Last edited by macming; 10-31-2004 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Buy the Instinct

I rmemember that Instinct at the Toronto One Day Bike Sale. The price was $2.000 Canadian and I believe it was Dukes Cycle that was selling it. My brother and I were both comenting on how what a beautiful bike it was and what a fantastic deal if you wanted to buy a decent XC racing bike for a good price. Rocky has had the 3D link since 1996 and it works so why replace it. The latest version of the 3D link uses sealed bearings instead of bushings. You would be buying a Canadian made frame with a decent parts mix, by a company that has podiumed at the Athens Olympics and has won the Trans Alp Challenge numerous times. Or you could have a Taiwanese Giant, which like Specialized are as common as Slammed Civics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowser07
    I rmemember that Instinct at the Toronto One Day Bike Sale. The price was $2.000 Canadian and I believe it was Dukes Cycle that was selling it. My brother and I were both comenting on how what a beautiful bike it was and what a fantastic deal if you wanted to buy a decent XC racing bike for a good price. Rocky has had the 3D link since 1996 and it works so why replace it. The latest version of the 3D link uses sealed bearings instead of bushings. You would be buying a Canadian made frame with a decent parts mix, by a company that has podiumed at the Athens Olympics and has won the Trans Alp Challenge numerous times. Or you could have a Taiwanese Giant, which like Specialized are as common as Slammed Civics.
    Yeah, I got the 18" version from Duke cycle. THe sales guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Too bad he talked me into buying a SID. LOL

I managed to get them to take off half of the tax, and they also included a suspension pump with the bike, which was nice. I love the way this bike rides, I just hope the SID will last me a few years.

It seems like Rocky Mountain is a prestige brand since I got many replies in the general forum about the difference of the 2 suspension designs. It seems like there are many NRS owners out there while very few people have hands on experience with the 3D-Link system.

Next year will be my first season of XC racing. I'm going to train hard for it and hopefully use this bike to its full potential.

Cheers

Ming

PS. I know I got a smoking deal on the bike. Glad I bought it

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

No experience with the NRS

So didn't comment on the General board.

If the SID goes, Cane Creek's been running a trade in program that gets ya about 1/2 price of a new shock. The CC seems to work good on the frame.

Personally I look at Rocky's as 1/2 way between the mass produced bikes and the boutique bikes. Rocky frames tend not to cut corners, but don't know if this matters as much now as it did 5 or 10 years ago.

The design for the Rocky has evolved over the past years, it is very similar to the first ones they put out, and heck look at the similarities between the Rocky and the Titus Racer X, the Gary Fisher Sugar, the JamisDakar, and quite a few others that were passing fads. Rocky stuck with it, and have made it a pretty darn good ride.

The bike's a good performer, it won't hinder ya in a race. Good luck!

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by macming
    Yeah, I got the 18" version from Duke cycle. THe sales guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Too bad he talked me into buying a SID. LOL

I managed to get them to take off half of the tax, and they also included a suspension pump with the bike, which was nice. I love the way this bike rides, I just hope the SID will last me a few years.

It seems like Rocky Mountain is a prestige brand since I got many replies in the general forum about the difference of the 2 suspension designs. It seems like there are many NRS owners out there while very few people have hands on experience with the 3D-Link system.

Next year will be my first season of XC racing. I'm going to train hard for it and hopefully use this bike to its full potential.

Cheers

Ming

PS. I know I got a smoking deal on the bike. Glad I bought it
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowser07
    I am extremely happy with my bike, I just wanted to know the technical knowledge between the two suspension design to make myself a little better informed

I know Rocky Mountain makes great bikes, and it is my friend's Element TSc that made me want to go full suspension ....

Ming

PS...I'm also supporting a Canadian company.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    If the SID goes, Cane Creek's been running a trade in program that gets ya about 1/2 price of a new shock. The CC seems to work good on the frame.
    If the SID ever goes on me, I think I will opt for a Fox F100X or the Mozaocchi Marathon SL. This year, I'm doing a website deal with a LBS, so I'll be able to get gears at cost

Also, when the float RL goes, I think I will sent it to PUSH industries and get it upgraded.

Personally I look at Rocky's as 1/2 way between the mass produced bikes and the boutique bikes. Rocky frames tend not to cut corners, but don't know if this matters as much now as it did 5 or 10 years ago.
    My old bike's manufacturer (Douglas) is considered a boutique bike maker. He went out of business because he made my old bike frame out of aluminum and almost every single one failed. So he went out of business. Not exactly sure if I want a boutique bike.

I believe Rocky has the perfect balance for quality, and safety for future warranty purposes. I also like how Rocky paints their frames by using electricially conducted process, which results in beautiful, and durable paintjobs. How many other bike manufactuers include hand bult wheels?

The design for the Rocky has evolved over the past years, it is very similar to the first ones they put out, and heck look at the similarities between the Rocky and the Titus Racer X, the Gary Fisher Sugar, the JamisDakar, and quite a few others that were passing fads. Rocky stuck with it, and have made it a pretty darn good ride.

The bike's a good performer, it won't hinder ya in a race. Good luck!

JmZ
    THank you for sharing your knowledge about past bikes. I am really glad to hear the assurance that this bike wont slow me down in the race. I just hope I will use it to its full potential. Also, hopefully, this bike will last me in the years to come

Cheers

Ming