MT rider
    Jan 2004

2K5 Kona Kula vs. 2k5 RM Vertex 30

Thinking about getting a 2005 RM Vertex 30 or a 2005 Kona Kula - both for the same price. Looks to me that the Kona is better spec'd out that the Vertex (Fox forks vs. EXR Pro, XT/LX vs. XT/Deore, RF Evolve X-Type vs. RF Ride ISIS).

Another question is re. the brakes - the Kona is fitted with the Hayes HFX-9 while the Vertex's fitted with the Hayes Sole - Didn't find any reviews about the Sole? Anybody got any opinion about performance / reliability of these brakes compared to the HFX-9s?

Both bikes have Easton tubing and several Easton components. Think I read that the lower-end RMs (Vertex 30 & 50 incl.) are made in Taiwan, just like Kona. Read also that a method of identifying which ones are made in Canada from those made in Taiwan is by reading the decals on the seat stays - Taiwanese models - "Rocky Mountain" - Canadian models - "Built in Canada" Is anybody sure enough to confirm this?

One of the main reasons I'd prefer RM is since I already got a 2K5 Hammer and a 2K4 Blizzard, (reason for wanting an alu frame is to be used in wet weather etc. - would be a real pity to ruin the Blizzard and the Hammer steel frames (rust etc. ) the Vertex will feel the same in terms of geometry although the Kona won't vary by much (both are known for having short top-tubes).

What ya guys think? (Un-biased answers pls.) Thanks.
    Last edited by Mervyn_b; 08-28-2005 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

ups and downs
    It looks like the Kona is better spec'd, even the frame is Easton Ultralite rather than the Easton Elite, so the frame will be lighter on the Kona. The drievtrain is slightly more upscale across the board on the Kona.

The handbuilt RM frames also have the thumbprint decal on the top tube that says hand made in Canada.The only visible difference between the frames on the two websites is that Rocky returns the seat stays to a point above the top tube and the Kona seatstays line up at the top tube height.

I've got a Rocky Vertex (the 2000 model equal to the current 70) and Kona Unit (to declare my biases) I'd lean towards the Kona Kula if they're the same price.

MT rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    It looks like the Kona is better spec'd, even the frame is Easton Ultralite rather than the Easton Elite, so the frame will be lighter on the Kona. The drievtrain is slightly more upscale across the board on the Kona.

The handbuilt RM frames also have the thumbprint decal on the top tube that says hand made in Canada.The only visible difference between the frames on the two websites is that Rocky returns the seat stays to a point above the top tube and the Kona seatstays line up at the top tube height.

I've got a Rocky Vertex (the 2000 model equal to the current 70) and Kona Unit (to declare my biases) I'd lean towards the Kona Kula if they're the same price.
    Thx - think ya are very right. My 2004 Blizzard did not have the thumbrint on the top tube, does that mean something?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sorry but I don't think you will ever see an ubiased opinion.The Vrtex 30 made in B.C, it is the least expensive Rocky made there. I think either bike would be a good choice, pick the paint job you like best.

MT rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso
    Sorry but I don't think you will ever see an ubiased opinion.The Vrtex 30 made in B.C, it is the least expensive Rocky made there. I think either bike would be a good choice, pick the paint job you like best.
    In that case, I'll choose the Kula - "cooler" paintjob n' better specs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Are the prices the same where you are, here in Canada the 30 is $400 less than the Kula and the 50 is only $100 more. Also keep in mind that the weight between the 2 frames is probably negigible as rocky claims only a .1 pound weight difference between their Elite and Ultralite frames.

I own an Elite tubed Rocky (2002 Trailhead) and an Ultralite Race Kona (2005 Jake the Snake) both are great bikes, love them both, but feel the Rocky is the better frame. Mainly due to the much much much more durable paint job. My Kona has some nasty scratches, and has not seen the years or intensity of riding (crashing) that my Rocky has. IMO, Konas are nice bikes, but I'd only buy another if there was a big price advantage over a Rocky, or a lack of Rocky competition, aka Jake, wheres the Rail Rocky?

MT rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    Are the prices the same where you are, here in Canada the 30 is $400 less than the Kula and the 50 is only $100 more. Also keep in mind that the weight between the 2 frames is probably negigible as rocky claims only a .1 pound weight difference between their Elite and Ultralite frames.

I own an Elite tubed Rocky (2002 Trailhead) and an Ultralite Race Kona (2005 Jake the Snake) both are great bikes, love them both, but feel the Rocky is the better frame. Mainly due to the much much much more durable paint job. My Kona has some nasty scratches, and has not seen the years or intensity of riding (crashing) that my Rocky has. IMO, Konas are nice bikes, but I'd only buy another if there was a big price advantage over a Rocky, or a lack of Rocky competition, aka Jake, wheres the Rail Rocky?
    The Kona is actually more expensive but its price is reduced to the same price of a Vertex 30. I'm sort of unwilling of choosing the Kona over the RM but the Kona is much better equipped. Hope you're not telling me that the Kona paint is so crappy that it scratches on its own!!! The only reason I want this bike is to be able to ride in wet weather - not planning to crash hard with it! Sort of hmmmm instead of getting a indoor trainer heh.