Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2007 brodie site should be up soon

4K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  crankpuller 
#1 ·
just waiting for next year now that it's -16 and there's snow

but checked out www.brodiebikes.com and for giggles changed 2006 to 2007 you know, just to see, and I was greeted with a password archive

I'm curious to see the damien in geomety, and something other than the matte white teaser pic from a while ago

#3 ·
Bah, it's nothing we haven't already seen really, the Zealot looks fun, but the shock mount on the TT looks like garbage

my LBS is now the new dealer for brodie in town, the big shop only wants to carry norco, specialized, and santa cruz.

I got to leaf through the booklet of the entire lineup, no prices, and no geometry...bastards
There's a nice lineup, but no decent 5" bikes that don't have a really slack HA or the weakest looking shock mounts ever

I am so going to get a Cretin SS long

#4 ·
Top tube shock mount failures in 1.5 years since I've been at Brodie (Awl-Hurricane-Cyclone-Nemesis-Dissident-Zealot) :

Zero.

As far as the bike you're looking for, the Dissident and the Derelict both 4.5" travel slopestyle bikes.

What's your local shop?

Attachments

#8 ·
yeah, I know... It's a chain reaction: samples late - photo shoot late - catalog late - webpage late... Not much we can dp about it, other than trying to bump samples earlier. But then there's no garantee that Marz will have forks in time, Truvativ cranks, etc...

#9 ·
tosis said:
Top tube shock mount failures in 1.5 years since I've been at Brodie (Awl-Hurricane-Cyclone-Nemesis-Dissident-Zealot) :

Zero.

As far as the bike you're looking for, the Dissident and the Derelict both 4.5" travel slopestyle bikes.

What's your local shop?
I'm in Cranbrook, and the LBS should be Funhogz. Gericks sports is dropping the little 'b' but the rep has kinda left them hanging about prices, final specs and geo...he's got no propblem trying to get them to place an order though.. you seem informed tell us something:thumbsup::p

I weigh in at just over 225 dressed for the trails with a days supply of water. I'm still on the fence if an air-sprung shock and the those TT shockmounts will hold up to a bike that I am supposed to 'free-ride' for a few good seasons. This is by no means a dig at brodie-I love em, I'm just old school and would sooner trust a little more metal to fend off metal fatigue over a couple seasons
the Awl and it's series are built more XC/AM, not for FRin' hits, and the Nemesis was brand new last year, still a little early to see if it will hold the test of time.
If the Dissident or the Zealot come with a nice 69 degree HA it could easily become one of my bikes, I just would want it to last:cool:

#10 ·
Ahhh. I'll be honest, I'm unaware of what's happening in the Kootenays. I deal w. the lower mainland and Okanagan. You're right about the Awl frames being more XC/AM. The Nemesis has been out there since summer 05, and seems to be holding up pretty well. Time will tell, but so far so good. Keep your eyes peeled for a demo in your area next summer, maybe there will be a Zealot around for you to try out...

#12 ·
Welllll, I wouldn't get tooo worked about about the death of the alu hardtail... At the end of the day, they are pretty hard to beat for value/ performance. I love steel as much as the next guy (building up an eXpresso as soon as someone buys my 1Ball) but alu hardtails aren't going away. That being said, I also am a big fan of other alternate materials. We're doing a ti bike for the first time ever (cruZado) and the price of Scandium has come down a fair bit. We are using it in our team XC dually and CX bikes. Big fan of that. I hadn't ever ridden scandium until my GF picked up our last scandium Rodie, and wow. Sure, my carbon Rodie is a little lighter, but for lighter riders (160 lbs and under) I would argue that scandium almost rides better! The carbon is more snappy and accelerates more quickly perhaps, but I find the scandium smoother riding over rough roads... *shameless plug* we may have some old scandium HT frames in the warehouse ;)

#13 ·
tosis said:
Ahhh. I'll be honest, I'm unaware of what's happening in the Kootenays. I deal w. the lower mainland and Okanagan. ... Keep your eyes peeled for a demo in your area next summer, maybe there will be a Zealot around for you to try out...
Can you tell me when to keep my eyes peeled for a brodie 29er?:)

#14 ·
I won't make any promises I can't keep ;)

The thing is, since we aren't doing one for 07, one of 2 things would happen if we did one in 08:

1) We will have completely missed the fad/boat and it will all be over for 29'er sales (unlikely, but there will be a veritable FLOOD of 29'ers in 07.) Not sure we want to jump into the flood...

2) We would be accused of rip off artists/ copycats/ Johnny-come-lately's/ no original thought/ catalog brand etc, etc, etc...

A bit of a lose-lose.

#15 ·
tosis said:

A bit of a lose-lose.
damn, I was hoping to read about a nice cream coloured powdercoat with blue lettering and nice tight geometry, low slung:p

I can see not wanting to miss the wave, but the tryst is certinly appeasing a noisy crowd that's grown out of retro-lovers. Considering 29ers are some of the most fanatically elisit, the crowd only seems to grow with the parts selection growing along with build a good stiff wheel

#17 ·
First impressions:

The Tryst almost made me shat my pants when I saw the MSRP:eek:
the Bigshot is a bargain at 1799 and the tryst is 1499? is Paul smoking crack? I was hoping to see it retail under 1k at the most. I understand it uses a pretty nice tubeset. but C'MON, the cretin comes spec'd nicely for 200 less. The Zealot suprised me too...

I also noticed a lot of retired names this year on a side note
Gigolo, Libido, Holeshot just to name a few

#18 · (Edited)
What can I say, you gotta pay to play. Reynolds don't come cheap. I don't think we're out of line here...
Yeah, we could have used a non branded straight gauge tubeset, horizontal dropouts, formula hubs and cheaper tires, but who wants to ride that? ;)

What about the Zealot surprises you?

#19 ·
the price of the tryst is clearly out of line. the spec is OK but there is nothing I mean nothing high end or fancy on it that would justify that price tag. If you are going to charge that much at least upgrade the brakes to juicies or something. I love the looks of the bike but in today's competetive market there are wayyy more attractive options out there - in brand named steel too...(not that that makes a lick of difference to the ride quality)

#20 ·
tosis said:

The thing is, since we aren't doing one for 07, one of 2 things would happen if we did one in 08:

1) We will have completely missed the fad/boat and it will all be over for 29'er sales (unlikely, but there will be a veritable FLOOD of 29'ers in 07.) Not sure we want to jump into the flood...

2) We would be accused of rip off artists/ copycats/ Johnny-come-lately's/ no original thought/ catalog brand etc, etc, etc...

A bit of a lose-lose.
A bit of a lose-lose indeed. Did you guys say the same thing when full suspension bikes first came out? or disc brakes? I agree there are alot of fads out there but 29ers are not fads. so there is no missing the boat involved. I think you guys are missing the boat with the climbmax, kinetic, and fury - don't expect to sell many of those this year or anytime soon - the high end 26 inch aluminum XC hardtail is dead and has been dead for quite a while. that niche is being filled up with bikes with carbon stays or short travel XC bikes. Brodie should really think about changing to meet market demand otherwise they won't be competetive

#21 ·
I kinda agree with crank, I didn't have time to respond lastnight, but it could have at least come with some juicy 5's The very heavy WTB spec isn't really justified in the price, the light XC wheelset on a rigid makes this bike for light riders only

I'm not a SS guru, but shouldn't any frame worth riding as a single have sliding dropouts?

I really kinda hoped that it would be a competetive, affordable SS/R that was going to take some of the elitism out of the market. I wasn't expecting cheap, I was looking at brodie afterall, but my girlfriend was pretty pumped at the thought of the tryst, but laughed at the price
it's a nice little bike, but it's not THAT nice

As far as the Zealot, I can see how the heavy syncros sprinkle and DT spokes pushed the price into astronomical digits. I can get a Bottle Rocket shipped to my door with much better suspension for that price. the Zealot is priced even higher than the Damien, and I would much rather have a zocchi setup over Rockshox any day. maybe if the Zealot shipped with a Totem and Juicy 7s at least, instead of 5's --which is an XC/AM brake

#22 ·
Thanks for the input guys, now I need your help if we're seriously going to reset the goal posts:

If the Tryst is way out of line, then what IS in line? What bike should we have firmly in our sights? What SS bike out there is priced/ specced like what you guys are talking about? I know the GF rig is about the same price, but is alu, and comes with a Reba. What else is there we should be looking at? Redline monocog flight? What does that sell for? Anyone ever see one in Canada?

As far as Zealot goes, RS vs Marz, looks like this might be the year RS takes a bite out of their business. They are building killer product, and at the end of the day, it's personal preference... I like the adjustability of the RS myself, but I know Marz has a strong following. No need to poo-poo RS based on Judy circa 1997...

As far as juicy's go, 5's vs 7's, they may label the 5's as XC/AM and the 7's differently, but the only difference is the pad contact adjustment... 5's, 7's and carbons are all 3 XC/AM labelled, and really the application only depends on rotor size. Just like HFX... 6"= xc, 7"= am and 8"= FR. The only brake that Avid makes that is FR/ DH specific is the Code (found on the Devo and $$$$$$$$$$$$). They label the Juicy Carbon as FR/DH also, but the only difference between it and the 7's is the carbon lever and reservoir cap (and Ti bolts maybe?)... End of Avid dissertation.

#23 ·
you're right, the 5's are remarkaly similar to the 7's except for the pad adjustment knob, I wasn't sure if the 5's had the same lever set-up or not. Pad adjustment would be a nice feature on a top tier FR bike

I'm not trying to knock Rockshox, SRAM has been doing some good work in the past couple seasons, bu they have a big shadow to step out from. For a long while they were the company that made the boxxer and some other shocks when you couldn't afford Marz or Fox. I think RS will bite Fox harder than Marz in the long run

For a SS/R bike that you should line up the tryst against: the Kona Unit -- besides using rim-brakes:( it's spec'd quite closely, if not arguably better than the tryst, and built with quality steel as well -- but 500 bucks cheaper.
http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/UNIT/index.html
it is also available with a 29er option to boot, and given the choice between the two, I will buy the Kona and a set of used MX-1 cable discs and save 400 beans in the process.

I think it's sweet that you aren't just dismissing any criticism in this thread and this is a well thought discussion

#24 ·
I've been following the discussion here and I'm espeically interested in the Tryst so I wanted to chime in.

I admit I also did a double take when I first saw the MSRP. Especially compared to the near-identically equipped Kona Unit 2-9, it seems outrageous. However, look a bit closer and there are notable differences between the two bikes. First of all you have the columbus name on the tubes, which, as tosis points out, doesn't come cheap. Then you have the superior SD 7 levers and, in my opinion, a superior wheelset. (WTB, while nothing too fancy, has never let me down).

Then, there is the fact that kona's singlespeeds have been breaking all summer long (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2415918#poststop), and you might start thinking twice about going with the kona.

So in conclusion, it isn't exactly a bargain, but I am saving my coin for the Tryst this winter because I don't want to bother with a small, expensive custom shop frame when I can get a complete bike that:
a) I'll probably never need to upgrade,
b) Made with the frame material I want,
c) By a company I believe in 100%.

Just one question though: how can I get some more pictures of it?? (close ups perhaps)

#25 ·
I really wasn't using the kona unit 2-9, just the Unit with 26" wheels. the 29er problem looks terrible, and shows you have to pay very close attention to HA on 29ers and how the forces are going into the frame. I am also a little curious as to the riding style of those that broke, some of those pics had a suspension fork. The Units aren't sold with them, and they don't look like they're designed in the frame to be ridden hard or jumed on at all. All of those breaks look like someone was pounding pretty hard on the forks to cause the steel to fatigue like that

yes, the low end brakes are a dissapointment on the kona, but overall I think the wheelsets are going to preform the same for 95% of all riders within either bikes intended use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.