mtbr member
    Jan 2004

05 ETSX rear shock help...

I'm wondering if anyone can chime in with tips on how you've set up your rear shocks. I've gotten an 05 ETSX-70 as a replacement frame, and its got the RP3 on it. No manual came with it. Bike shop not very helpful either. Sticker on the frame says that the shock is custom tuned for RM. I mostly use the frame in the 4.5" travel mode, I weight 180lbs and pump the shock from 160 to 180, and I usually ride in the "softest" pro-peddal mode...

So, what's the BEST way to get this shock set up right?

Thanks

ups and downs

It's as simple as that

The fox website has an RP3 manual for download

http://www.foxracingshox.com/website...Cshox_en05.pdf

Basically you want to shoot for about 3/8" of sag. Here's the one paragraph on the Pro-Pedal setting

ProPedal RP3 Damping Adjustment

The FLOAT RP3 features a three position ProPedal tuning lever allowing on-the-fly ProPedal tuning. ProPedal damping reduces pedal induced suspension bob. The three settings of the lever are full ProPedal, light ProPedal and Plush. Use the different settings to tune the shock to different riding conditions and situations. For example, use the full ProPedal position for riding to the top of the mountain and then switch to the Plush position for the descent. Because suspension designs vary, some pedal inherently better than others.

To determine which ProPedal position is best, pedal the bicycle at about 15 mph and moni-tor the shock movement. Switch between positions and select the one that reduces suspension movement most effectively while providing the desired amount of bump absorption. The setting may change depending on conditions and riding styles.

LBS Manager

I have the same bike

and also weigh 180 I have my shock set up almost exactly like yours and that seems to the best for me.