Safe

'02 Cove Handjob advice

Been offered an '02 cove handjob. Got a couple of question for current Cove owners

1. What length fork is this adjusted for
    2. How are they sized? The cove website indicates a 23" tt for the 17.5", the owner has measured it to 22". I'm 6' and generally go for around a 23" tt. Would the 17.5 be OK or ought I go for the 19"?

cheers

resident crackpot
    The newer Handjobs are geoed for a 100mm fork. I would assume it to be for at least an 80mm fork. I know that the DeKerf Generation I bought recently came with a Forx 100RLC. I didn't really like the way it rode so I shortened it for 80mm...what they recommended back in '96. It is a touch small for me so maybe that is the reason I noticed the difference so acutely. Were it a size larger, I suppose I wouldn't really notice a taller fork. I would guess that putting a 100mm fork would be a good start. This said for reference...my Bontrager Race (stolen), from '96, was obviously geometried for a short-raked fork with 63mm of travel. When I put the Skareb of 80mm on it, it rode much, much better with lots more flow.
    I was looking to buy a new frame late last year and the Handjob was in the top three on the list. I just ended up finding a great deal on a whole bike, so that's the way I went.

Not much actual help, but some insight for you maybe. If'n you go against the Cove, I'd be MOST interested. Let me know.

loonyOne

Wolf nipple chips
    dude, go with the 19. i'm 6'1" and i've got the 21"! it's a pretty slick ride. i love that "TINK!" when rocks bounce up and hit the frame - only steel makes that noise. Loony is right - the current handjobs are designed around a 100mm fork, which i'm using quite nicely. you should be just fine with an 80mm fork, as i doubt they were designed around 100mm back in '02. yeah tom, the frame is sweet. all it needs now is a riser - WCS carbon on the way!

Safe
    cheers for the advice chaps.

Sounds like the 19" is the way to go.

Decided against the 17.5" loonyOne. The frame is in the UK though, not sure if you're interested in it or not.

resident crackpot
    Ivy, I forgot that's what you were gettin'!! How's it ride for ya? I just tried to go to the Cove website and they must have let their site go. Nothing, nada. I really was looking at the Handjob, and still have a spot for it. I don't know that I (being 6'1" as well) would go with a 21"...prolly would settle nicely on the 19".

Rutteger, I would still be interested, no real issue on it's current whereabouts. Send me an email at bruttusATmchsiDOTcom and we'll see if we can strike up a deal!!

loonyOne

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loonyOne
    Ivy, I forgot that's what you were gettin'!! How's it ride for ya? I just tried to go to the Cove website and they must have let their site go. Nothing, nada. I really was looking at the Handjob, and still have a spot for it. I don't know that I (being 6'1" as well) would go with a 21"...prolly would settle nicely on the 19".
    DNS change. No biggie, you should be able to see it now.