mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Your help is appreciated.

I live in LA and bought a hybrid bicycle about 6 months ago for purposes of exercise. I have taken a real liking to bicycling and want to try mountain biking. Before i invest in a good mountain bike, i would like to take my bike on a few test rides on some trails.

Can anyone reccomend good trails, preffereably in the San Gabriel Valley area that I can ride using my hybrid. My bike does not have any type of suspension so easy trails would be best.

Thank you.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you don't mind an hour drive, I would recommend Pt. Mugu State Park (Sycamore Canyon) from the ocean end of the trail system. It's a network of trails that range from mild fire road to moderately difficult singletrack. The trail through the valley floor would be the one I recommend for your first trip.

Ride in to where it connects with the Wood Ranch trail. If that is as difficult as you want to get, turn around and ride back to the beach. If you want to go up a slight notch, take the Wood Ranch trail and loop back to the same trail you came up and then continue back to the beach. Very do-able on a hybrid with semi-knobby tires.

There are usually trail maps at the trailhead and there are at least a couple of water spigots alongside the trail. Always bring at least one innertube, tire irons and a pump or CO2 setup.

Then you can always hit up Neptune's Net, Paradise Cove or some such place on PCH on your way home.

It's a great place to get a taste for MTB.

Regards,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    LABiker,

You can try the lower trails of JPL. It is very nice trail that is not very difficult. It is near Pasedena. Or you can try Sullivan Canyon in Brentwood. Those are probably my two favorite places to introduce people to riding.

I'm 5'6" and have several bikes that you can try out on the trail. Shoot me a PM and we can meet up for a ride.

Duc

Jus' Ridin' Along

Go for Real

Had to chuckle when I read this post. In 1988, I couldn't decide whether to get into road or mountain biking, so I bought a hybrid... a Trek 750 with 700x38 knobby tires. It didn't do either sport well (as set up) but still I took it out to El Moro and managed to do a complete body plant in to a patch of cactus the size of a king bed. After many hours, er days having spines removed, I decided I needed a real mountain bike. Within a month I purchased the top of the line Trek, complete with RS-1's and have never looked back.
    Still have the 750, though now it sports a carbon rise bar, Avid ultimate brakes, Suntour XC Pro Drivetrain (yes, with thumbies) and ti eggbeaters. It's affectionatly called the "Grocery Getter" and makes a sweet tourer and Midnight Riddaz steed.
    But I digress...
    LABiker, do yourself a favor. Rent or borrow a real mountain bike (take Pato up on his offer if you'll fit) and go try some easy trails. I'd bet you'll get hooked. Again, make sure the bike fits you, and hit easy, flat fireroads and very easy non-technical singletracks (Santa Monica Mountains have some of that).
    Then send me a PM so I can keep you posted on our next "New Rider Day", a great way to pick up on some new skills and techniques (for free) down here in the OC.
    If ya gotta good tool, build a shed over it

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"