V-Shaped Rut

You guys have got it good!

I've been in san diego all week on business. No riding, but do you realize its 65-70 in the middle of winter? What the hell?! 2 feet of snow at lake level back home (tahoe).

I also visited a local bike shop, north of the border in mira mesa. Small but packed with nicer bikes (intense, titus, ellsworth), I9/stans flow wheelset on the wall, some SS bikes. And friendly staff.

Hope you guys know and enjoy what you have.

mtbr member
    weather is amazing here...but you are in tahoe (of which i am a bit jealous) =epic snowboarding in winter.... epic mountain biking in summer...Mike and Doug at North of the Border are definitely top notch too...sure beats being somewhere with two feet of snow and no mountains/resorts

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    I've been in san diego all week on business. No riding, but do you realize its 65-70 in the middle of winter? What the hell?! 2 feet of snow at lake level back home (tahoe).

I also visited a local bike shop, north of the border in mira mesa. Small but packed with nicer bikes (intense, titus, ellsworth), I9/stans flow wheelset on the wall, some SS bikes. And friendly staff.

No down time to work on or build a bike

[/glasshalfempty]

V-Shaped Rut
    True, true. I fly back saturday and am hitting sierra on sunday. The weather was a nice change of pace though.

Quote Originally Posted by jhill
    weather is amazing here...but you are in tahoe (of which i am a bit jealous) =epic snowboarding in winter.... epic mountain biking in summer...Mike and Doug at North of the Border are definitely top notch too...sure beats being somewhere with two feet of snow and no mountains/resorts

Beer Please!

If I could make the kind of money I do down here and live in Tahoe I would.

Snowboarding all winter in some of the best terrain with so many resorts to choose from, and then mountain biking all summer. The grass is always greener my friend.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

V-Shaped Rut
    Yeah, I work remote and have my big city salary on the NV side of tahoe. (no income tax, I rent so no property tax) Its pretty sweet and I'm not saying I'm ready to move down here. Maybe for a year contract or something but not permanently.

CA taxes + cost of living + higher federal tax bracket would eat any benefit I'd gain from moving to a city.

But still, a condo in la jolla and walk to the beach with a surfboard is pretty tempting regardless of the finances.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    If I could make the kind of money I do down here and live in Tahoe I would.

Snowboarding all winter in some of the best terrain with so many resorts to choose from, and then mountain biking all summer. The grass is always greener my friend.

Glad to Be Alive
    :

oh it's a freak hot spell going it is never this warm down here.....stay in Tahoe
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Ya, right.
    I've been in san diego all week on business. No riding, but do you realize its 65-70 in the middle of winter?

We do and that's why we live here. My wife is from Minnesota and has mentioned moving there when the kids are out of the house. I just laugh and laugh everytime she mentions it.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I thank my lucky stars

Every time I ride in January/February and it's sunny and I'm wearing just a T-shirt and I can't believe I just rode my MTB in the dead of winter on another routinely gorgeous day. I grew up in Iowa, lived for a while outside Chicago, now been in San Diego for 8 years and never going back.

on the path most traveled

But still, a condo in la jolla and walk to the beach with a surfboard is pretty tempting regardless of the finances.
    Yeah that would be a real nice situation, but far from the reality of the typical San Diegan. Despite this, I still feel lucky. A condo isn't a house or a sprawling mansion, but if you can afford one in la jolla, I'd say you have a very decent "big city" salary even if it would be a stretch for you.

mtbr member
    You forgot to mention the kick as burrito/taco joints
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by sponger
    Yeah that would be a real nice situation, but far from the reality of the typical San Diegan. Despite this, I still feel lucky. A condo isn't a house or a sprawling mansion, but if you can afford one in la jolla, I'd say you have a very decent "big city" salary even if it would be a stretch for you.
    To be clear here, I'm not talking about BUYING a $650k-7 figure condo. 1-2 bedrooms near the beach in la jolla are $1200-$2000 a month based on craigslist. (which I've been looking at) There are studios below 1k even. I don't know if that is expensive of not compared to the rest of SD as a whole.

I do make what would be considered a higher salary, but believe in living below my means and emphasizing lifestyle over possessions. If not for my wife I'd live an even more stripped down version. I've had a great time in SD this week living out of a 1 bedroom suite with 4 sets of silverware, no stove, no TV, no car. I wish I had one of my bikes though.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    Back in my Navy days I used to get a kick out of calling the friends and family back in Michigan while sitting on the beach (MB or OB) just to let them know it's warm enough to kick it at the beach and drink beer in January...

As a matter of fact I may have to call them this weekend!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Born and raised here so don't know no different, althought back in '66/67 we had a foot of snow on the ground. I remember a bunch of cars spun off the road that morning, if you know how us Socal'r drive in the rain, you can just imagine the snow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've lived in San Diego since '82 (except for college) and have been biking since '94; I can't seem to leave now! Skiing is fun, but I don't think I could afford to go every weekend if I lived in the mountains. I really appreciate the ability to ride year round here.

I thought run-down fixer upper condos in La Jolla start around 1 mil?

V-Shaped Rut
    Like MTB, skiing is cheap after the initial investment. Season passes (excludes saturday) at sierra@tahoe are $200. You can get lightly used gear for cheap on craigslist every summer, or even for free. My wife got a board/bindings/gloves from a friend and we scored some ex-rental boots from in front of a store for free.

Back to la jolla, there are places for well below a mil. But again, I like renting and letting someone else pay property taxes, upkeep, have their money locked down, etc...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/reb/1580581791.html

mtbr member
    Yeah the weather is great but its a rip off to live here. Give and take I guess. First things that come to mind are sales tax, state income tax...both of which increased just recently, and overpriced housing. That and there is a law for everything everywhere.
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

mtbr member

yes sir

moving to SoCal next month from cold upstate NY, cant wait for the yr round riding available. no place to ski may be rough I can understand that.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XRC800
    moving to SoCal next month from cold upstate NY, cant wait for the yr round riding available. no place to ski may be rough I can understand that.
    big bear is 3 hours from SD and less from LA.
    Ride and ride on the same day.

mtbr member
    Big Bear, is that place any good? I heard they dont get very much snow.

just along for the ride
    Be here now, all of CA is snowed in, best in years:

http://www.bearmountain.com/snowboar...snow-report-2/

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Big Bear isn't good. Mammoth is good and is about a 7 hour drive from San Diego.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It can be fun for a day, especially with friends. Not a lot of vertical, but the scenery is pretty. Problem for all of the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mountains is relatively low elevation too close to the Pacific. They get snow, but not a lot and temps are warm.