"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

x-post from Passion - Penasquitos Night Ride ~Video~

My friends and I had been doing a regular Wednesday night ride for about a year and a half but last fall I was no longer able to attend. Instead, I got the honor of sitting in a very uncomfortable desk for three hours each Wednesday at SDSU while I finished some courses for my Master's. Well, my last Wednesday night class was two weeks ago so we resurrected the Wednesday night tradition and went out for an evening ride. It was nice
    for several reasons, but this week it has been ridiculously hot so an evening ride in a coastal canyon would certainly be a good thing too!

We decided to hit Penasquitos canyon since it's close to everybody's house and is a pretty good little ride to boot! Plus, Ebasil has been instrumental in opening up actual legal single track in the park so poaching is no longer necessary!

I had been wanting to shoot a night ride video for some time but never got around to dragging the gear along. Plus, I hadn't really done much night riding in the past 7 months or so anyway.

We always started our night rides at 7:00 since it provided a good window for people to beat traffic yet still get home at a reasonable hour. Of course, starting a night ride at 7:00 means that some of the ride happens while it is still daylight out. This isn't a bad thing and it probably worked to my advantage for this ride. I was able to get about 25 minutes of decent footage in the daylight before it got too dark.

all of the daylight footage is shot heading east, so the shadows are quite long. The camera had a tough time picking up enough light at times so I bumped up the brightness and contrast a bit to compensate. Unfortunately, there are brief moments where this is too bright but I think there are more better moments than bad moments.

all of night shots are heading back to the west. That's why there seems to be a lot of light on the horizon. it seems like there was a lot of ambient light out on the trail but I can assure you it was quite dark. There was a mostly full moon the other night so that certainly helped.

I don't know if I'll do another night video because the total darkness certainly causes a lot of detail to be lost on the trail. But, this one at least seems to showcase the differences between day and night riding.

Hope you like.

direct link to video file can be downloaded by right clicking here. This link will only be active for about a week. if you try to view after one week, just go to my
    web site
    and access the file there.

I only noticed when I put my web page together that I shot my very first ride video at the same place on the very same day two years ago. This certainly wasn't planned but just one of those weird things that happened.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Sweeeet!! I really have to get back there now!

mtbr member
    About ten years ago, the boys riding out of Cantina hauled a VHS camera up to the Mesa and along on some of their rides. When they were done, they had a short amount of raw footage that I borrowed briefly so my wife could ask the students running her college TV station to edit it into a "video". When it was finished, I gave the source tape and a new one back to Tom.

Unfortunately, the guy that did the editing understood nothing about MTB, and used editing and music that sucked, in my view.

Fortunately, the guy kept a copy and is now a mucky-muck at KUSI. He came by the 10th Anniversary Party for WCTV, and offered to burn the vid onto a disc for me. It's only the result, rather than the source vid, but the next step will be to edit and post some shots of Mike King breaking his fork on the west mesa, etc...

mountain bike pimp
    hey i saw you guys as i was finishing my loop. i'd love to hook up for a group ride sometime if your willing to take on another rider. i really have to explore abit more some of those shots don't look familiar
    Last edited by SDtrailblazer; 05-08-2004 at 11:45 PM.
    "sometimes i'm too much man for my own damn self"-undercover brother

If you have to ask...

SDTrailBlazer, here's what you should do.

Go to this link:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/sdtrailriders/

and sign up. I'll enter you, and you will get all of the emails about posted rides. For some reason Yahoogroups is seeming a bit overwhelmed, so I'm thinking of transferring the whole thing to a site of mine, but there it is for now.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

yeah, what Miles said

Quote Originally Posted by SDtrailblazer
    hey i saw you guys as i was finishing my loop. i'd love to hook up for a group ride sometime if your willing to take on another rider. i really have to explore abit more some of those shots don't look familiar
    where did we pass you? we have several different versions that we do out there but the mostly include all of hte same trails, just a different start/finish sometimes.

the more the merrier. on night rides especially.

YR

mountain bike pimp
    i don't know the name of the trail, its the main trail running parallel to the creek. i was headed to the sorrento valley rd parking lot. i'll go ahead and sign up and hopefully see ya on the next group ride.
    "sometimes i'm too much man for my own damn self"-undercover brother

mtbr member
    Miles, are you coming out for trail maintenance on Cobbles this Saturday? I want you to tell Ranger Thompson where you lived and how far back bicycle use on Cobbles, etc.. goes.

If you have to ask...

What time on saturday do the festivities start?

Maybe I can make it- what are the deatils?

Miles

as posted to trailriders.........

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Maybe I can make it- what are the deatils?

Miles
    and in this very forum......Trail Maintenance Event: May 15th, Los Pen :-)

I won't be able to make it. Graduation is Friday and family is in town Saturday.

TRAIL MAINTENANCE EVENT: MAY 15TH, 8AM- NOON
    LOS PENASQUITOS CANYON PRESERVE

Please set your calendar and come out to meet fellow riders, improve
    some local trails and have a good time at the Trail Maintenance Event in Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve on May 15th.

In January, our trail maintenance event generated almost 40
    volunteers and major renovations to nine sections of Cobblestone
    Trail. Since that time, the Rangers have decided to feature
    Cobblestone as an example of a good example of multiuse trails that
    aren't just a dirt road, and there are more rut-repairs, drainage
    installation and brush trimming to complete before National Trails
    Day, on June 5th.

This trail event is jointly sponsored by cyclist, running and
    equestrian organizations, and we'll be working together on trails we
    all share.

We'll meet at the upper trailhead to Cobblestone Trail (directions
    below) and then hike our tools and equipment down to the worksites. We'll be performing more repairs and grading to the sections of Upper Cobbles not finished in January, clearing light brush along Cobblestone and adjacent trails and repairing ruts and erosion on the
    bicycle route in Lower Cobbles. The Ranger has identified our work
    areas and will allocate volunteer labor for appropriate repair work.

DIRECTIONS: The meeting point will be at the top of Cobblestone Trail, on the Del Mar Mesa. To get there, take the 56 Freeway to Carmel Country Rd, south. Then take Carmel Country Rd to Del Mar Mesa Rd (Shaw Ridge Rd) east/left. Follow Shaw Ridge Rd to the point where it "tees" into Del Vino. Turn right onto Del Vino and park at the end of Del Vino. The top of Cobblestone is to the southeast of the end of the pavement. Walk south onto the dirt road, then turn left at the first track you see: it leads directly to the trailhead and you'll see the Ranger's truck there. The meeting time to start work is 8:00am, but if you come later, you will be appreciated (see below).

Notes on Trail Maintenance: if you haven't come to one of these events before, you will enjoy it, even if you do break a sweat. There will be tools for working available, but you can bring your own (mark it with your name using a Sharpie) if you like. Certainly, bring a hat, some water and work gloves. These "work parties" usually go about 4 or 5 hours, so if you're late, it will still work out fine.

Come by! Lend a hand, whether it is in "hard labor", walking water up and down the trail to workers or just cheering others on and taking photos. We guarantee you'll enjoy meeting and working with the people you share trails with!

If you are planning to come, please email an RVSP to:
    MultiUseTrails-owner@yahoogroups.com, so we can give an expected
    count to the Rangers. If you have questions, email them to the same
    place and we'll try to get back to you quickly.

Here's hoping to see you out there!
    Last edited by Yeti_Rider; 05-11-2004 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

If you have to ask...

Yeah, I saw the email AFTER my post.

I'll try to be there.

Miles

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeti - what type of apparatus do you use to do the filming? You just using a mini/DV - type recorder? or are you using something else? Just curious - nice job!

Bike Geek
    Looks like I need to start checking out the coastal canyons - my buddy and I have mostly stuck to Mission Trails and Santee, but with summer approaching it's gonna get too hot.

Great video, too - it's amazing how well you can get a sense of the trail from it.

I use

Quote Originally Posted by Juliius
    Yeti - what type of apparatus do you use to do the filming? You just using a mini/DV - type recorder? or are you using something else? Just curious - nice job!
    a lipstick camera I bought from rfconcepts and normally a Sharp Mini DV camera. But, my Sharp was having issues with the heads so I sent it in under warranty. the video was shot with a loaner canon provided by Fry's. It appears that the canon gives me better color but part of that may be due to the issues I was having with my Sharp.

I just mount the lipstick camera on the helmet with velcro and throw the DV Cam in my pack. it makes for a heavier pack but my personal camera isn't small enough to bolt to my head like others do. Maybe I'll upgrade to that method soon but for now the lipstick provides a good enough image at a low cost.

after that, I just use Adobe Premier to edit the video.

YR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sweet! I'd love to catch some of our rides on video - but my camera is too big to carry anywhere but on my back. Thanks for the info - great idea with doing the night-video...I just did my first bit of night riding a couple of months back. 8 years of mtbiking and I had never done a night ride - videos like this give you a decent feel for what it is like. Thanks again!

Bike Geek
    Yeti-

Can you give me an idea of the route you guys took? I was out there this weekend (great ride) and saw some familiar looking stuff from the video, but some stuff that I don't recall seeing, especially the section with all the trees and brush at the end of the video.

The route we took was up along the main road from the Sorrento Valley entrance all the way up to the Black Mountain Road entrance and then back down through the singletrack and crossings to the north of the creek.
    Last edited by Rower_CPU; 05-24-2004 at 12:29 PM.

If you have to ask...

Come out and ride it with us

this wednesday night. YOu'll get to see it all in living color.

miles

Bike Geek
    Thanks for the offer, but I gotta get a new bike before I can spring for lights.

If you give me the basic gist of it I can go from there...

Maybe once I've had the chance to get all my gear together I'll take you up on the offer.