Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WTF on SJT?

Jus' Ridin' Along

WTF on SJT?

Yesterday, 4/7, I met up with some friends for a San Juan Trail ride. Quite a showing at the lower t.h. with the likes of Aqua and various SD crew, SL Keith, Switchback types, and my buds from LA and OC. Looked like a great day: foggy, cool, with a slight drizzle to keep the dust down and add a little tack to the tread.
    Three of us proceeded up about 5-7 minutes after the big crowd with me in the lead. First group I encountered were coming down a straightaway near the top of the first switchbacks. Pretty narrow section with ruts, and 1st guy just keeps coming as I look directly at him, wondering of he'll yield to the climber. Nope, not a chance. 2nd guy makes attempt to move over but not stop, I get his handle bar in the knuckle. He makes comment, I return favor with "try giving uphills right of way". No harm, no foul; Ride on through the fog...
    Encounter 3 more down hill groups. Everybody makes efforts to stop, or slow considerably and exchange "hi's". Cool.

Then, at mile five, I'm coming out of a brush tunnel making a right curve, when I hear noise and see a fully armored full faced monster bike coming at me full speed. He grabs a handful of brake but too little too late. OTB's directly into me along with bike, his bars and body doing a complete frontal plant on me. His 2 buds and budette come up fast from behind, in time for the usual exchange of pleasantries. Outside of the typical references to cranial rectal inversion and defecation, one comment made by either the purp or bud was "hey, it was 50/50 (meaning fault), so just let it go".
    Ummm... no.
    It wasn't 50/50 at all. First, it is a public trail, and the unsafe operation of a bike on said trail endangers the rest of the public. Second, it was a foggy day, making it even more important to keep the speed down and eyes open. Last, and certainly not least, I'm laid up today with a swollen right hand, jacked back, and f'd up carbon handle bar. Just cause some fetid rectum felt entitled to race his DH bike without any concern for anyone else who might be on the trail.
    Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm all for having fun on the DH. But it doesn't take more than a couple of brain cells to know that full speed into a blind curve can cause major problems, and when visibility is an issue, or on a weekend when the lower lot is so full people are jockeying for parking spots, maybe scrubbing off some overall velocity is prudent.
    So, just a quick thanks to the brainless knuckledragger for making the rest of my ride, and my Sunday, so enjoyable. Happy Easter.

And just a little OT... WTF with all the trash out there? Spotted no less that 3 tubes, 1 tire, and countless food wrappers and tabs all on the lower trail. Not to mention that Cocktail Rock smelled like a urinal from all of the mutts marking their spot. What does it take to walk 20 feet away from the public rest area to piss?
    I know, stupid question.
    If ya gotta good tool, build a shed over it

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Do you have a magnet built into your bike? First the guy in Aliso and now this. Maybe you need a brighter bike???
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

Jus' Ridin' Along
    Quote Originally Posted by CPATCRASH
    Do you have a magnet built into your bike? First the guy in Aliso and now this. Maybe you need a brighter bike???
    Funny.
    I guess it's the ASSHAT magnet....
    Now you know why I tend to stick to Sprockethead trails.

BTW, Pat, I have a 3 liter full of 10th... jus' waitin' fer Fruita
    And a Brown Sugga in the fridge just waitin fer me to get off my arse.

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Bob- From the trash, to the urine smell to the bonehead who slammed into you- All I can say is I agree with you!!! Trust me, you are not the first person it has happened to. There have even been a few posts regarding this subject in the past. There is one unnamed PRO (who rides the trail quite often) who seems to think the trail is his personal one way street! F*#* him!!! That #S$%& won't slow down if 20 riders are blocking the trail.

As a guy who usually rides San Juan from top to bottom- let me say 99% of the people are not like that. I would also like to suggest the use of a BELL (zipped to you seat rail) for any DH rider on SJ (or any other trail) where contact with a hiker or biker going uphill is possible. Hope you heal up soon.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobL
    Funny.
    I guess it's the ASSHAT magnet....
    Now you know why I tend to stick to Sprockethead trails.

BTW, Pat, I have a 3 liter full of 10th... jus' waitin' fer Fruita
    And a Brown Sugga in the fridge just waitin fer me to get off my arse.
    I sure hope I can make Fruita but if not we can drink it before you go. Think how much weight it will save you in the car on the way out there.
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    BobL, that sux! Sorry to hear this.

What the hell is wrong with theses DH'ers. Takes just a second to stop and let the guy climbing pass. The guy climing has right of way! Peroid. None of that 50/50 stuff.

And trash, no excuse.

It's sad, it takes such little effort to pick up your OWN TRASH and throw it out in a garbage can at the bottom. Just a second or two to let a climber by. But no. More and more people don't give a $H!T. Truely sad.

Well I guess I'll see for myself next time I'm up at SJT.

Heal up quick BobL

Equal opportunity meanie
    It's a blown out trail. What do you expect? There's a ton of traffic so there's bound to be encounters on the trail and with that many people there's definetely going to be a few boneheads around.

Not pointing fingers, but knowing that there are DH guys on the trail (a lot of which aren't the best at emergency stops) why didn't you try to jump out of the way when you heard a noise around a blind corner? Even if it's someone poking down on a hardtail, I give them plenty of room when I'm heading up just so they have some more room for error if they sketchy when they see another user. I know descenders are supposd to yield to ascenders, but let them have their fun.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    It's a blown out trail. What do you expect? There's a ton of traffic so there's bound to be encounters on the trail and with that many people there's definetely going to be a few boneheads around.

Not pointing fingers, but knowing that there are DH guys on the trail (a lot of which aren't the best at emergency stops) why didn't you try to jump out of the way when you heard a noise around a blind corner? Even if it's someone poking down on a hardtail, I give them plenty of room when I'm heading up just so they have some more room for error if they sketchy when they see another user. I know descenders are supposd to yield to ascenders, but let them have their fun.
    Man, don't go there. It's that kind of thinking that keeps the trails in SB, and several other areas, in constant jeopardy. It's called education and reinforcement of trail rules/etiquette. BobL didn't deserve to be laid out. It sounds like you agree with the guy's 50/50 comment.

Whatever happened to letting the climbers have their fun? I get as much gratification from finishing a heinous climb as I do railing a descent. The important difference is I probably won't injure anyone from flying up the trail so fast I can't stop.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mechmann_mtb
    Nothing new.

I actually get mildly excited now when I read crap like this. I can feel the property value on my parcel in Utah going up!!!

SJT is a great trail. Unfortunately not everyone plays by the rules (duh) and even those that do play by the rules occasionally get a bit out of hand (myself included, but i would shoot myself in the face with a 12 guage if i was ever rude to someone after I made a mistake)

on the bright side we had a great weekend in Idyllwild with a big STR group. fun times!!!!

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    Man, don't go there. It's that kind of thinking that keeps the trails in SB, and several other areas, in constant jeopardy. It's called education and reinforcement of trail rules/etiquette. BobL didn't deserve to be laid out. It sounds like you agree with the guy's 50/50 comment.

Whatever happened to letting the climbers have their fun? I get as much gratification from finishing a heinous climb as I do railing a descent. The important difference is I probably won't injure anyone from flying up the trail so fast I can't stop.
    Enforcing trail ettiquette by putting yourself in danger of a bonehead going at high speeds? Sounds brilliant. If you're all for putting yourself in harms way to enforce yielding (off-road no less), go right ahead. We have to yield to uphillers and hikers in SB here because of the touchy situation, but people around here (myself included) know to get the hell out of the way because there is always a change those stoppers may not do their thing in time or the rider could get into an "oh crap" situation by seeing someone squatting in the only useable riding line on a trail. I'm not saying the descender was in the right at all. In fact, far from it. But not protecting yourself is kinda moronic fault or no fault.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Even if it's someone poking down on a hardtail, I give them plenty of room when I'm heading up just so they have some more room for error if they sketchy when they see another user.
    I ride DH more than anything else, and the DH crowd I run with always yields to those who have right of way. Better to slow down and say hi rather than take a chance of a collision and ruin things for everybody. I also move over when I'm climbing uphill on my smaller bike; too many morons out there (on both big and small bikes) who don't care about who's in their way when they come down. Sorry to hear about that BobL.

mtbcat.
    May 2006

bob L

I was one of the SD riders. saw riders going down and took the hard line up more than once. they were probably shocked . im sure my luck will run out one day. for now im my worst enemy heel up to ride .

Jus' Ridin' Along

Once again, you live up to your name...

Enforcing trail ettiquette by putting yourself in danger of a bonehead going at high speeds? Sounds brilliant. If you're all for putting yourself in harms way to enforce yielding (off-road no less), go right ahead. We have to yield to uphillers and hikers in SB here because of the touchy situation, but people around here (myself included) know to get the hell out of the way because there is always a change those stoppers may not do their thing in time or the rider could get into an "oh crap" situation by seeing someone squatting in the only useable riding line on a trail. I'm not saying the descender was in the right at all. In fact, far from it. But not protecting yourself is kinda moronic fault or no fault.
    ...by assuming you knew the situation.
    FYI, the time span between hearing the sound and seeing asshat grabing binders whilst careening into me was less than a second. And the distance was about 5 feet.

As far as protecting myself, after sitting around all day, I decided to run some Hoppes # 9 through my old 03-A3. Now I'm thinking that bayonet clip might look good on my stem

mistereckz
    Sad to hear these stories over and over again. 99% of my riding is gravity/DH oriented and it just sucks that I/we have to get lumped in with idiots like this guy! My personal rules:
    1) Always use a bell
    2) No bombing multi use trails
    3) If I can't get to a DH trail, the weekend is for trail riding or wrenching...just too many people to worry about

That being said, stuff happens. I have had incidents that I am not proud of. However, if you are going so fast that you hit somebody, man, you need to sit the next couple of plays out, bud! What if it was a kid instead of another rider?

We have to yield to uphillers and hikers in SB here because of the touchy situation...
    Talk about circular reasoning. You don't have to yield to uphillers and hikers because of a touchy situation. It's because it's the right thing to do. The "touchy situation" developed because there's a whole conga line of morons coming down the mountain who believe the following quote I read somewhere:
    I know descenders are supposd to yield to ascenders, but let them have their fun.
    Please, don't try to rationalize why this incident is partly BobL's fault. It only makes you look like a DH idiot.
    Fat fanatic.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Bobble:

Sorry to hear that your ride vibe was less than ideal. I've come to expect that kind of scenario while climbing SJT. What blows my mind... is that I'll make a point of telling descending rider that there are more climbers coming up.......and then later, hear tales of my mates still almost being taken out.

And, Cocktail Rock? WHOA!!! That area is smelling Really, REALLY foul!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Uphillers have the right of way. Cyclists, hikers, or equestrians don't jump out of the way for out of control cyclists. If you run into someone going downhill, you're out of control. If this is not to your liking, go buy a ranch and build your own trails and ride anyway you like.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons
    Uphillers have the right of way. Cyclists, hikers, or equestrians don't jump out of the way for out of control cyclists. If you run into someone going downhill, you're out of control. If this is not to your liking, go buy a ranch and build your own trails and ride anyway you like.
    So being aware of your surroundings, protecting yourself, and expecting the unexpected is too much to ask of people wandering around out in the wilderness hm? In no way is a downhiller running into an uphiller justified, but being poorly prepared for being out in the woods is flat out stupid. This isn't a residential intersection. There are no patrol cars or metermen. There are no ambulances a 2 minute drive away. A fair amount of your protection, if not all, is up to you. If you can't muster that much up, the wilderness probably isn't the place for you.

Once again, not saying the original poster is at fault in any way. For all I know, he could have had zero time to react, or had 10 minutes with visual contact first, but from the sounds of it he had the first one. I'm just throwing this out there for arguments sake since I see people way WAY out on the trails who are extremely poorly prepared for situations that would almost definetely present themselves at some point. (example: crippled elderly ladies being walked by two other people at least 2 miles up Tunnel trail). I do not condone running down hikers and all that, and I always stop for them on descents unless I see them from a good distance waving me on through encouragingly (is that a word?). Apparently some of you don't see the sarcasm in the idiot title, but use it as you will.

That's a pretty weak backstroke you got there.
    Fat fanatic.

Jus' Ridin' Along

OK, Idiot, one more time...

So being aware of your surroundings, protecting yourself, and expecting the unexpected is too much to ask of people wandering around out in the wilderness hm? In no way is a downhiller running into an uphiller justified, but being poorly prepared for being out in the woods is flat out stupid. This isn't a residential intersection. There are no patrol cars or metermen. There are no ambulances a 2 minute drive away. A fair amount of your protection, if not all, is up to you. If you can't muster that much up, the wilderness probably isn't the place for you.

Once again, not saying the original poster is at fault in any way. For all I know, he could have had zero time to react, or had 10 minutes with visual contact first, but from the sounds of it he had the first one. I'm just throwing this out there for arguments sake since I see people way WAY out on the trails who are extremely poorly prepared for situations that would almost definetely present themselves at some point. (example: crippled elderly ladies being walked by two other people at least 2 miles up Tunnel trail). I do not condone running down hikers and all that, and I always stop for them on descents unless I see them from a good distance waving me on through encouragingly (is that a word?). Apparently some of you don't see the sarcasm in the idiot title, but use it as you will.
    ... 'cause you I guess you missed it in my last reply.

Try this: walk into your bathroom at night without turning the light on. Stand in front of the mirror. Turn the light on. See the monkey?
    That's how much time and about as much distance I had before asshat hit me.

But just to further clarify, I was in a tree tunnel and making a blind right curve, doing maybe 3-4 mph. He had at least 50 yards of straightway to look ahead, see said blind curve and scrub speed.

Now I'm having to argue with another asshat that tries to assume he knew what the sitch was (without even being there?) and implies that I was ill prepared for the situation.
    How would you, mister mental giant, prepare for that ride? Walk your bike up the trail whilst peeking around every corner? Or just be another shuttlefuc dimwit and damn everybody else?

Equal opportunity meanie
    Now I'm having to argue with another asshat that tries to assume he knew what the sitch was (without even being there?) and implies that I was ill prepared for the situation.
    I wasn't implying anything. I'm just saying that's a common situation, and many people find themselves guilty of being ill-prepared without realizing it. It was a generalization and nothing towards you. You also don't have to "argue" with anyone.

How would you, mister mental giant, prepare for that ride? Walk your bike up the trail whilst peeking around every corner? Or just be another shuttlefuc dimwit and damn everybody else?
    I personally would prepare for that ride by avoiding a blown out trail, or not riding up a trail that someone else whose control I don't have faith in is barreling down at who knows how fast, or at least go at non-peak hours (no idea what time you were riding here, don't take it as assumption). When I'm shuttling the trails around here and feel like doing a non-stop run or just getting nutty in general, I do it at 6am (or 7ish these days with the time change) when it's just about guaranteed to be empty and still wear a bell. I guess that's when I'm damning everyone else and cursing them to a life of suffering via being a weak and lazy un-yielding disrespectful shuttlejunkie like every other downhill rider on earth is...
    The absolute best and lesser known and least crowded runs are the ones that aren't on any map or have internet directions and you have to hike to, and I mean hike, cannot drive or granny gear or even simply walk to - this is half their beauty.

I wasn't implying anything. I'm just saying that's a common situation, and many people find themselves guilty of being ill-prepared without realizing it. It was a generalization and nothing towards you.
    Um, wrong. Re-read your previous posts. Implying is all you have been doing.

I personally would prepare for that ride by avoiding a blown out trail, or not riding up a trail that someone else whose control I don't have faith in is barreling down at who knows how fast, or at least go at non-peak hours (no idea what time you were riding here, don't take it as assumption).
    Well let's see, that pretty much narrows down the "safe" climbing trails, doesn't it? Why should the rest of the riders cow tow to the shuttle monkeys just so they can get their speed fix? Hey, here's an idea: Enter a DH race so you don't have to worry about breaking the laws or some innocent person's (insert body part).
    The absolute best and lesser known and least crowded runs are the ones that aren't on any map or have internet directions and you have to hike to, and I mean hike, cannot drive or granny gear or even simply walk to - this is half their beauty.
    Here, lemme help you out with this one. You mean illegal or poached trails. You really are a piece of work.
    When I'm shuttling the trails around here and feel like doing a non-stop run or just getting nutty in general, I do it at 6am (or 7ish these days with the time change) when it's just about guaranteed to be empty and still wear a bell.
    So let me get this straight,
    • we should ride illegal trails
    • we should ride at non-peak hours to avoid wreckless morons
    • we should also keep our eyes open for you, since you ride at non-peak hours
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Just deal with it Billy BoB .Doesn't take more than a couple of brain cells to move out of the way???Doesn't take more than a couple of brain cells to hear a person coming from a bilind corner .Billy Bob- " I get his handle bar in the knuckle" what comes around goes around ... and the end result poor Billy Bob="I'm laid up today with a swollen right hand, jacked back, and f'd up carbon handle bar".

Quote Originally Posted by mcfury
    Just deal with it Billy BoB .Doesn't take more than a couple of brain cells to move out of the way???Doesn't take more than a couple of brain cells to hear a person coming from a bilind corner .Billy Bob- " I get his handle bar in the knuckle" what comes around goes around ... and the end result poor Billy Bob="I'm laid up today with a swollen right hand, jacked back, and f'd up carbon handle bar".
    Obviously it didn't take more than a couple of brain cells to write your response...
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Too bad more people can't exercise a little common sense, and I mean that on both ends.

I too enjoy bombing down a nice singletrack, but I'm not going to come ripping around a blind turn hoping someone coming the other way jumps out of my way. I pick up the pace where I can see, slow it down where I can't. Through the years I've seen riders, hikers and a couple horseback riders get hit by guys charging down a popular, multiuse trail. I don't want no part of that.

At the same time, I've been *****ed out by people for failing to come to a complete stop to let them pass while they are climbing up a trail. I'm talking about areas plenty wide for two bikes to pass, with a wide line to ride, not some technical spot with only one good line. I'll slow down to a crawl and we will pass without even coming close to touching but they have it in their head that the downhill rider needs to yield and anything less then coming to complete stop is not doing that. Again, exercise some common sense.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast