Thread: Winter Riding

Downhiller

Winter Riding

im pretty new to the forums here and i havent ridden any trails out side of arizona. im currently in afghanistan and i will be home in the january february time for a few weeks and i was wondering if anyone knew of any good mountain biking in the california or nevada area for this time of the year...so far all the places im interested in are usually covered in snow in the winter.

Thanks

Climbing Monkey
    Apr 2010
    I'm new to the forums here as well, but I ride year round and live in North Los Angeles, so I ride in the Verdugo and San Gabriel Mountains. I've been biking in many areas throughout the state, and many areas are better when in season. I'm sure all bikers will welcome you out here and be happy to ride with you. We can help by getting a better idea of what you prefer:
    Is there any area you're considering staying?
    What type of trail: fireroad, flowing or technical singletrack,or combinations;
    How strenuous: lots of climbing, gradual climbs, not so much elevation change;
    How long do you like to ride: one hour, two, all day., etc.
    That makes a difference, for instance, as many people ride the Verdugos since it's convenient, mildly strenuous, and majority is non-technical fireroad, with a little singletrack, but it's hard to make a ride last longer than three hours, and a week will bore you. Tha San Gabriels don't get much snow, but have been closed due to fires and landslides, possibly opening by January.
    Put down some of your preferences and I'm sure you'll get a lot of response.

official eMpTyBRain
    South Mtn in the Phoenix area, Santa Monica Mtns in Los Angeles area, Orange County hills....Since it never rains in So Cal or AZ, you can ride there year round...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Downhiller
    i like mostly downhill with some technical stuff and also fast flowing trails are good too...my wife is new to mtn biking so im looking for something thats not gonna be too difficult for her as well...we dont like a lot of difficult climbs but some climbing is ok...thanks for the suggestions we'll definately get onto south mountain sometime though

official eMpTyBRain

South Mountain

South Mtn has a lot of technical trails with rock garden stuff. However, "Desert Classic", I think it's called, skirts the base of the range on the East side. It's flowy, fast, in an out of gullys and has minimal climbing. It's a racing track. It's my favorite trail there personally because I can really fly though it. It does have a few technical and steep sections but it is one the most tame trails there.

Take your wife on that one.

Once our San Gabriel mtns reopen here in Northern Los Angeles, you'll have plenty of downhill to do...as in Mt. Wilson, Upper and Middle Merril trails and Sunset.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Hope Welcome Home solder

Might wanna confider coming to Phoenix this winter, The weather is perfect. I don't even know where to start, too much good winter riding here. Angeles Crest might not be open yet by the time you make it home but Red Box to JPL is a nice shuttle monkey run. (Angeles Crest is in Caili but you probably already knew that) I rode that shuttle in 20 deg temp back in 2002. Snow at the top and all.

I have faith in you solder the Lukens climb that GrungeFungus speaks of is a really nice climb out of Tujunga CA. I did that one last Nov with him. Awesome ride for sure.
    Probably harder than any Phoenix Area climbs physically and an awesome view.
    SF
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    palm desert in socal palm canyon( for shuttle) or just ride up dunn road(cathedral canyon area to hahn trail or the one I've never done art smitty. rainn it'll be shinin in desert.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by darkness777
    im pretty new to the forums here and i havent ridden any trails out side of arizona. im currently in afghanistan and i will be home in the january february time for a few weeks and i was wondering if anyone knew of any good mountain biking in the california or nevada area for this time of the year...so far all the places im interested in are usually covered in snow in the winter.

Thanks

Thank you for serving our country and please stay safe........