mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Will Rogers Backbone Section Sanitized?!

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere else, I did a quick search and didn't see anything....

Just got the word from a friend of mine. Rumor is they bulldozed the Will Rogers section of backbone all the way from the bridge up to the oak tree. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I did see the bulldozers out on the trail, but I thought it was just to fix the area near the bridge.

Has anyone else heard about this? This was my favorite Wednesday night ride. I'm really bummed.

Check out the linked info here

mtbr member
    May 2004

Yes, the trail has basically been ruined

I rode this 10 days ago, and the top is still intact, but the bottom half of the trail has been pretty much ruined. It's been bulldozed flat and is now 6-10 feet wide. It's no longer a fun ride. Very sad.

g c
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/messag...ges/136142.htm

We discussed this on a thread recently.

Note that there is a bunch of junk on the thread, but if you dig deep enough the answers to this really poor trail work is there.

mtbr member
    GC's link has the photos, and is way more informative than the Trail Report.

Not scolding, but if local riders don't like the way it looks, they might consider contacting the Ranger that did the work and getting together a day to "sculpture" the trail back to a better appearance (while maintaining the grade he laid in with the tractor). Start talking now, but schedule the work in late fall or early winter...perfect timing to address how the trails harden in after the butchery, and close to the rains you'll need to harden in whatever you do to them yourselves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

needed it?

road it yesterday....

sorry i love singeltrack as much as the next guy, but i can see why they did the trail work...the rain ruts were cutting the trail in 2. a nice obstacle/technical ride for us bikers, hoping side to side, but granny cut sprain her ankle hiking that thing.... the top is the same, a bit overgrown in places.

the run-off "bumps" are fun to ride over, but i agree, the trail is 2-3x as wide as it needs to be. the removal of the steps just beyond the bridge makes it easier when coming down towards the bridge...

john
    ride:: ti hardtail