mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Will Rogers/Backbone Conditions?

Does anyone know if the trail is still overgrown? It was about as bad as I've seen it a couple of weeks ago, especially towards the bottom.

Glad to Be Alive
    if you ride the trail then why don't you spend a day doing some maintenance....I am tired of guys complaining about stuff, but won't put in the time to fix it......you my friend shouldn't even ride trails if you can't even put one day into trail work
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    He was asking a question, get the sand out of your panties and lighten up a bit.
    Last edited by Galamoor; 07-08-2008 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Rode it this past Sunday, 7/6/08. Worst of the brush has been trimmed back recently, particularly on the lower half of the trail. There are still a few areas where the mustard is pretty thick, but overall it's a huge improvement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    Rode it this past Sunday, 7/6/08. Worst of the brush has been trimmed back recently, particularly on the lower half of the trail. There are still a few areas where the mustard is pretty thick, but overall it's a huge improvement.
    Rode it this tuesday, pretty much all clear now.

The state parks dept pays for the brush clearance, its not done by volunteers, btw. At least according to the guy I talked to out on the trail who was out there with a crazy big weed whacker, he has a contract with the state.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by peligro
    Rode it this tuesday, pretty much all clear now.

The state parks dept pays for the brush clearance, its not done by volunteers, btw. At least according to the guy I talked to out on the trail who was out there with a crazy big weed whacker, he has a contract with the state.
    I don't know who you talked to? The State, Forest Service and most other managing agencies do not have money to pay for trail maintenance! We (CORBA Trail Crew) worked on the trail a few weeks ago. We are volunteers! Trails in that area are either worked on by CORBA, the SMMTC, Sierra Club and there are a few individuals that do some work on their own. There is a horse group in the area that paid a trail contractor to work on the trail around five years ago. Maybe they paid someone to work on the trail recently too?
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thank you for clearing that up....I have no idea who the guy was but that's definitely what he said. I was going to tell him thank you for volunteering but he said he wasn't.

Anyway thank you for working on the trail and I will check out your organization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by peligro
    Thank you for clearing that up....I have no idea who the guy was but that's definitely what he said. I was going to tell him thank you for volunteering but he said he wasn't.

Anyway thank you for working on the trail and I will check out your organization.
    I concur, thank you. I just rode it today and it was great. I have seen worker types with heavy machinery many times on the Sull Ridge fireroad, but I guess not on Backbone. Many thanks. I too would like to check out your org.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by So Cal RX
    I concur, thank you. I just rode it today and it was great. I have seen worker types with heavy machinery many times on the Sull Ridge fireroad, but I guess not on Backbone. Many thanks. I too would like to check out your org.
    The ridges are not actually trails. They are fire breaks. They were recut by the fire department. The roads are also maintained on a routine basis for fire fighting/emergency access

I hope you guys will get involved and come out and help us with some maintenance and hopefully some trail/ bike park building soon!
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com