Thread: Wildwood Pics

That's gonna leave a mark

Wildwood Pics

A few pictures of Wildwood this last weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

Looks nice and green

I miss riding there. I could ride 17 miles from the house with only about 1 mile of pavement!

How was the mud on Santa Rosa? Last time I rode there it was about 1 1/2 weeks after a rain so i figured it'd be fine. I wasn't thinking that the Santa Rosa trail gets far less sun than the rest of the place so even without much rain for a while pieces of that trail were definately a slog fest. The rest of the park was good though.

The waterfall must have been really flowing with all the rain. How'd the park hold up? I've seen pictures of Sycamore and that place looks pretty torn up.

Michael

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    I miss riding there. I could ride 17 miles from the house with only about 1 mile of pavement!

How was the mud on Santa Rosa? Last time I rode there it was about 1 1/2 weeks after a rain so i figured it'd be fine. I wasn't thinking that the Santa Rosa trail gets far less sun than the rest of the place so even without much rain for a while pieces of that trail were definately a slog fest. The rest of the park was good though.

The waterfall must have been really flowing with all the rain. How'd the park hold up? I've seen pictures of Sycamore and that place looks pretty torn up.

Michael
    On Jan 30th we saw mud but it wasn't a slogfest. The water in the canyon was more trouble, the bridges were pushed away - but anchored by chains so we put them back.

Wildwood green day

mtbr member
    Looks awesome, where exactly is that? County, city and or directions?

thanks
    wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

Thousand Oaks

Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Looks awesome, where exactly is that? County, city and or directions?

thanks
    wayne
    The park is located on Avenida de los Arboles west of Lynn Road (Ventura County). 101 Fwy to the 23 Fwy north. Exit Avenida de los Arboles and turn left (west). Drive about 5 minutes to the end of Arboles. You'll get to a point where you are forced to take a 90 degree right hand turn. Instead, do a quick u-turn around the median and park in the dirt lot. You're there.

The fireroads are open to mtn bikers. Most, if not all, of the singletrack is hiker-only. Lots of hikers. Still a beautiful area. If you're not from the area, it's a little limited in mileage to make a trip out.
    Last edited by Upchuck; 03-08-2005 at 10:04 AM. Reason: needed more info
    Fat fanatic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    The fireroads are open to mtn bikers. Most, if not all, of the singletrack is hiker-only. Lots of hikers. Still a beautiful area. If you're not from the area, it's a little limited in mileage to make a trip out.
    Say what??? Most everything is open to mtn bikers.

For pictures and maps http://www.nrmbc.org/TrailMaps/Wildw...20Rosa%20Trail

Huh...

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Say what??? Most everything is open to mtn bikers.

For pictures and maps http://www.nrmbc.org/TrailMaps/Wildw...20Rosa%20Trail
    Indian Creek and part of Moonridge have signage indicating they're closed to bikes. Most of the stuff in there that's legal to ride is fireroad. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful area but it's quite limited for someone who isn't a local. I find it's a better place to hike than ride.

If someone told me they were traveling to the area to get some riding in, I'd send them to Sycamore Cyn (pre-rain), Los Robles Trail (as an out-and-back), Kanan Backbone, or Cheseboro.

BTJMO
    Fat fanatic.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

there's plenty of open

Indian Creek and part of Moonridge have signage indicating they're closed to bikes. Most of the stuff in there that's legal to ride is fireroad. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful area but it's quite limited for someone who isn't a local. I find it's a better place to hike than ride.

If someone told me they were traveling to the area to get some riding in, I'd send them to Sycamore Cyn (pre-rain), Los Robles Trail (as an out-and-back), Kanan Backbone, or Cheseboro.

BTJMO
    ST, but you do have to kind of know your way around. I wrote a review with my specific directions several years ago and it's posted on this forum.

But, you can get about a 17 mile ride and I'd say better than 11 of it is ST. it's a bit of a cloverleaf loop though adn you do have to use a couple of surface streets to connect things up.

i always started by heading over the mesa to CLU which is directly opposite the park. that hooks up with Santa Rosa Trail which then gets you back to the park via the switchbacks. turn right on the main trail all the way to the bottom of Lizard Rock. then turn left on Stagecoach bluff. exit the park again and turn right on Lynn road. take the ST across from the hospital (this is one of the hidden gems of the park IMHO) and take it all the way to the bottom. follow the stream to the waterfall and then climb up the teepee hill to get back out.

a bit of pavement and a bit of fireroad but a lot of fun ST too. Problem with this route is you don't find many of hte trails on the map but they're all open and legal. there are some other options too. if you don't climb the teepee hill, you can keep going along the stream over to the hill canyon water reclamation plant. there's a trail around it but you can eventually hook up with the area behind the weigh station on the grade. most of what I ever rode over there was fireroad but there's a number of trails I never hit either. if nothing else it adds some distance and some climbing to the ride.

YR

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    BTJMO
    Santa Rosa, Stagecoach rock, Lizard Rock, and Lynmere are all single tracks and all open to bikers as AFAIK. If you start on Santa Rosa from CLU, you can get a pretty fun ride in, with barely any fireroad in the mix.

Here's a map of the area...

http://www.nrmbc.org/TrailMaps/Wildwood/AreaHome.html