over researcher

Wildwood Canyon Park - Hills above Burbank

Wildwood Canyon Park off of E Harvard Rd next to Da Bell Golf Course. I've hiked in the area, but is it open to MTB'ing? I'm driving up to see my grandmother before she flies to Provo, and thought I'd leave Corona at the butt crack of dawn to get a ride in before she wakes up.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I belive that all trails in the Verdugos are open to bikes, but the one I think your talking about is not a very enjoyable. It has far too many steep steps and tight switchbacks.

over researcher
    I don't know, that could be enjoyable too.

I ended up parking below Stough Park. I climbed up to the top of La Tuna singletrack and ended up doing the loop. That's a pretty fun singletrack once you get in the trees. The top is a little too loose for my liking. I don't mind rocks, as long as they don't roll around under my tires. I just kind of sketch out sometimes, and yesterday was one of those times. It's been a long time since I've crashed, but yesterday I did, at the worst possible place too. A left hand easy as pie switchback. The last switchback just before you get in the trees, just before the right/left swtichback combo in the trees. Anyway, I crashed just before the switchback, and my body proceeded to skid through the poison oak bush that is on the inside of the corner. So much so, that my right leg was stained green from sliding through the bush. I actually ripped a small branch of the bush off with my body, and deposited it on the trail below. I'm so stoked! On the way back, I went past Stough and dropped the singletrack that is on the left, the one that goes by the chimney. It's a pretty good place to ride if you're already in the area. The fireroad climbs are novice material, not steep at all, and you can flat out hammer up them. I'd say the La Tuna singletrack bumps the ride up to Intermediete level though. I'll ride it again, because I don't know of that many rides where you get such a good singletrack reward with such easy climbs.

edit - I took my wife's camera with me so I could create a geoladders route of my ride. I checked the SD card this morning, and wouldn't you know it, not a single file on it. I even took pictures of my green stained leg. Bummer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The trail by the chimney is called Boy Scout. If you're looking for tuff climbs in the Vedugos try Whiting Woods, Brand, or the seldum used Wildwood fire roads.