Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Its only 1" on the map!

Wildfire Damaged Trail Status Page

I'm consolidating all the information I can find on the various trails that have been damaged during the Wildfires.

Here is the link

If you can confirm the status of a particular trail or would like to add a suspect trail to the list please post here or email directly.

Thanks,
    Bill

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks great. Thanks for taking the time to do a page for everyone to keep track.

mtbr member
    I only have this crappy cell picture, Sweetwater from the Chula Vista trailhead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    According to the google earth map from the SD emergency homepage the fire did not hit iron mountain or the santa luz loop.

http://www.sdcountyemergency.com/firemaps.html

It gives a decent overview.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

pewpewpew Moderator
    thanks bill, that is a succinct reference page
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My stupid question for the night. If a trail is burned, I assume it is closed. Question would be for how long they are typically closed?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by djphaneuf
    My stupid question for the night. If a trail is burned, I assume it is closed. Question would be for how long they are typically closed?
    My guess would be a few months, at least.

When Santiago Oaks in OC burned it was closed down for a good time while they did re-seeding and other park/trail work to try to get the area back to being okay/safe.

Just a friendly reminder - please follow all trail signs. When the area is closed, stay out of it. If mountain bikers go into closed trails/parks it really looks bad on all of our part and may hurt trail access once the trails are re-opened.

There are still quite a few open and available areas to ride. Take advantage of them!

Jus' Ridin' Along

CNF Closed

Thanks for the info up BP, will buy you a beer next time I make it to Stone (if I ever get my azz outta Silverado).

For everyones info, all of Cleveland NF (all regions) is closed until further notice, so all of those trails regardless of their degree of "doneness" are off limits. Check Bill's site for local county and city stuff.

And to double up on Wordy's words: PLEASE don't poach! All eyes will be on the MTB community and ANY illegal trail activity will be noticed and used against us. Pass the word to your friends who may not "get it" to make sure it gets out. Thanks!
    If ya gotta good tool, build a shed over it

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sweetwater Reservoir

I called yesterday to check on the status of Sweetwater reservoir and if the trails were open to hikers and bikers. I was told it was. If someone want to confirm, their number is 619-420-1413.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BobL
    For everyones info, all of Cleveland NF (all regions) is closed until further notice, so all of those trails regardless of their degree of "doneness" are off limits. Check Bill's site for local county and city stuff.
    Additionally, I'm fairly certain (about 98%) that *all* national forests in So Cal (Angeles, San Bernardino, Cleveland, and the other one) are all closed to the public with MINOR exceptions right now.

However, and Bill, you may want to check this out.. I read on another thread that Elfin was open? It was updated to include text about the wildfires. Check their site, maybe?

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Confirmed, all of Santa Luz trails are untouched and opened.

Black Mtn, in PQ/RB also escaped any damage and is open. Rode it last night.
    If not biking, then what?

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Cuyamaca WIDE OPEN. I called yesterday and was welcomed by the ranger!

Rode the GRAND LOOP (25 miles) parking at East Mesa Fire Rd crossing and riding all the ST we could get on! The deadfall is abundant, the winds that fanned the fires last week elsewhere were busy knocking down trees that were burnt and dead from the 2003 fire. We came across at least a dozen form Azelea Glen to the bottom of the downhill at the "horse trailer" parking lot. Looks like the FS people have done a great job so far clearing out many trees already. Give yourself an extra HOUR to do this ride. Getting on and off the bike breaks the flow..........

Beautiful day out there, get back to our forests and frolic!

No horse'n around now, ya hear?!?!?!

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    fe.

Just a friendly reminder - please follow all trail signs. When the area is closed, stay out of it. If mountain bikers go into closed trails/parks it really looks bad on all of our part and may hurt trail access once the trails are re-opened.

There are still quite a few open and available areas to ride. Take advantage of them!
    I am certain all trails at Hodges are closed.........but I saw lots of cars in the parking lot
    at the north trail head and lots of bikes on cars leaving at dusk. Please...if they are
    closed, stay out.....don't make us mtbrs look bad.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    I'm consolidating all the information I can find on the various trails that have been damaged during the Wildfires.

Here is the link

If you can confirm the status of a particular trail or would like to add a suspect trail to the list please post here or email directly.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Nice page, Bill. Anything in LA county get hit or just OC and SDC?

Glad everyone is safe.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

29er Hater
    Noble Canyon still closed until "the end of the fire emergency". Right now the biggest problem is the many trees down across the trails from the Santa Ana winds, the USFS will need to go in with a chainsaw crew to clear the trails and that could take more than a few days. I've asked for a re-open date and will post ASAFP.

Also, the Nov 10th trail work on Indian Creek has been canceled.

mark@sdmba.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

San Diego, CA - October 22, 2007

To protect public health and safety, the Cleveland National Forest will be closed to the public, effective today, October 22, 2007 through the end of the fire emergency. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands, roads, or trails within the Cleveland National Forest is not allowed.

A violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both.16 USC 551 and 18 USC 3559, 3571, and 3581.

Check Before You Go! For additional information on the forest use restrictions, call (619) 593-2183s or go to www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland.
    Shuttle Noble? Hell No!

ICPAYDIRT

Holy Jim and Trabuco Creek Trails?

Hey mtbbill, the whole Luge is burned? Has anyone heard if the fires had missed the Holy Jims & Trabuco trails?

Its only 1" on the map!
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Nice page, Bill. Anything in LA county get hit or just OC and SDC?

Glad everyone is safe.

I'm not sure about the LA Area, but I think so, The Malibu had fires. I don't know the area well enough to know for sure. I gladly put some info from that area if I get some.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklermark
    Noble Canyon still closed until "the end of the fire emergency". Right now the biggest problem is the many trees down across the trails from the Santa Ana winds, the USFS will need to go in with a chainsaw crew to clear the trails and that could take more than a few days. I've asked for a re-open date and will post ASAFP.

Also, the Nov 10th trail work on Indian Creek has been canceled.

mark@sdmba.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

San Diego, CA - October 22, 2007

To protect public health and safety, the Cleveland National Forest will be closed to the public, effective today, October 22, 2007 through the end of the fire emergency. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands, roads, or trails within the Cleveland National Forest is not allowed.

A violation of these prohibitions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six months, or both.16 USC 551 and 18 USC 3559, 3571, and 3581.

Check Before You Go! For additional information on the forest use restrictions, call (619) 593-2183s or go to www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland.
    Thanks for the update Mark. You might want to padlock Aquaholics bike's down. For we all know he will not adhere to the warning. He is probably up there as we speak bunnyhopping over the downed trees.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    anybody have an idea of when San Bernardino forest is opening for Hurkey and Santa Ana? FYI, I hit Hahn Buena Vista/VanDeVenter trails in Palm Springs this weekend, quite nice right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPAYDIRT
    Hey mtbbill, the whole Luge is burned? Has anyone heard if the fires had missed the Holy Jims & Trabuco trails?
    From what I have seen on STR Holy Jim and Trabuco should be fine. Pretty sure all of Luge burned. I think Joplin also is probably okay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84
    anybody have an idea of when San Bernardino forest is opening for Hurkey and Santa Ana? FYI, I hit Hahn Buena Vista/VanDeVenter trails in Palm Springs this weekend, quite nice right now.
    My best guess is that the forests (possibly except for the areas that burned in the Santiago fire) will all reopen around the same time. I'd still give it a few weeks... Especially with the santa ana's forecasted for this weekend. Not sure they will reopen knowing that warm winds are coming back again.

They may even stay closed until we get some rain.

BTW, the fact that SDMBA is cancelling trail work 2 weeks out makes me kinda think that they'll be closed until mid-Nov at the earliest (or that SDMBA was told it'll be awhile before they re-open).

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Here's a link to an excellent map showing the burn areas. Thank goodness San Diego's mountains were mostly spared this time.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/firemap/
    If not biking, then what?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by djphaneuf

no they are open.....(at least Simi Valley trails were after the fire)

You need to go out and do trail days on your local trails. Erosion will be at a peak right now. Dig 45 degree ditches for drains on the steep stuff.....this cuts down the anount of water that will erode the trail and make ruts
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Additionally, I'm fairly certain (about 98%) that *all* national forests in So Cal (Angeles, San Bernardino, Cleveland, and the other one) are all closed to the public with MINOR exceptions right now.

However, and Bill, you may want to check this out.. I read on another thread that Elfin was open? It was updated to include text about the wildfires. Check their site, maybe?
    Elifin is open. I drive by the trailhead every day to and from work. The ranger was unlocking the gate Monday AM. It was closed last week but no longer.

YR

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

post-fire weekend ride suggestions?

So for someone living in Orange County, where can I go to ride? I assume that Aliso Canyon is open, and obviously Carbon Canyon.... but how about the San Juan Trail? Just curious.

So obviously my FAVORITE trail (Old Camp on Modjeska Grade) is closed along with The Luge and Whiting. I'm sad. ;-( But I guess it's rather selfish of me to be lamenting over some trail that was burned when people just lost thier homes and everything they own.
    Anyways, just looking for riding suggestions to get out there again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast