Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Who's run over a Rattler? now that its snake season

Im just curious who's actually run over one they couldnt avoid. I ride with my boys who are teenagers and want to try to give guidence on how to handle a situation. We came across one last year but we saw him in plenty of time to slow and roll around him. Im not so worried if im not clipped in and can lift my feet up high but you never know!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I ran directly over a small Gopher snake a few years ago. I stopped to check it out and was shocked to see that it did not have any obvious injury.

When we were kids, my Cousin and I were jumping down from boulders along a creek and he landed right on top of a large rattler. It was scary and funny. The snake didn't know what hit it. It was clearly asleep, coiled up. My Cousin is a big Viking (Icelandic) yet he more or less bounced off the snake in an effort to get away from it quickly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ran over a rattler at PQ, coming down the ST on cobbles trail. Came around bend, saw the snake and ID'd it as a rattler as my front wheel was going over it. It was flat out across the trail so I don't think there was any way it could have swung around to get me, my main concern was for my buddy coming up right behind me. Snake was SUPER pissed lol, hissing and rattling. Was a bit scary for my friend to pass where it slithered off into the grass, he didn't know if it was just hiding plotting revenge or what.

Been rattled at 2x while hike a biking not looking where I was going, once at Hodges at the little hill/creek crossing after the whoopsies by a HUGE diamondback probably like 3.5-4 feet long and once by a little guy at Sycamore tip top trail when I was walking backwards thinking how cool it was that I could see the ocean. Advice there is to always look where you're going.

I've seen probably 5-10 more over the years that basically just ignored me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ran over a rattler's tail 20+ years ago on Little Pine. Came around a blind corner and couldn't avoid it. Yelled, "SNAAAAAAAKE!" really loud and my following buddy was able to stop. Snake was fine and rattled off into the bushes.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    One time I locked up my brakes so that I wouldn't run a massive one over at PQ (as mentioned above). I ended up going over the bars and face planting 1 foot from it. One of the sketchiest crashes of all time. Not cool. My endo was one of those slow motion ones too...lots of time to think about what was about to happen...

One struck my buddies rear wheel two years ago at Mission Trails....saw it happen with my own two eyes. He is a tough dude, but screemed like a little girl. It was pretty funny actually.

Not sure what to do about it though. It is just a risk we all take I guess. Have a cell phone on you at least and hope you get reception...

mtbr member
    Yes to that one at least a few times. It happens on the way down and the last time was last summer. When you see them it's sometimes too late and immediately you level out your pedals to get yourself as far from him as possible. Right over the last one and he just stayed put. I usually nudge them off the trail when I see them so they don't get run over or bite someone. My daughter also almost stepped on one last year. I warned her just in time as we were hiking. Lots of them in the bay area in California. Getting bit by one can sometimes cost 75 grand and up. Hospital and anti venum shots are expensive.
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member

$$$$$$ snake bite u tube

This one cost 150 grand me thinks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcDZbXslfw
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I HATE SNAKES!! I Saw some shedded snake skin at turnbull a few weeks ago during my hike.

mtbr member
    If you see it in time to stop early, just do and then you can coax 'em off the trail to go hunt bunnies and other such stuff. Don't go bananas trying to stop, though: you don't want to wind up either on the ground or stopped right over the snake, right?

If you can't avoid, roll right over and go toward the "head side" (keeps 'em down so they don't strike, if it has time). The bigger danger is definitely to the rider(s) behind you, who then encounter a startled, angry snake.

I was riding in a group of six running 2x2x2 on a fire road when we came across 3 in the trail. The first two groups of us bunny-hopped the snakes and the third group got a "ponk" sound off the 'dale downtube of one rider... from a snake head. Close one. Better to ride lead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ive been ponked by a rattler sunning itself on the side of the trail. Also went past one that was run over by the guy in front of me. I got unnerved by the ponking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I almost did Rydbyk's face plant next to a rattler. On my first ride with disc brakes I came around a corner in San Clemente canyon to find a snake stretched across the trail. I grabbed some brake and the rear wheel came off the ground about a foot before I let off the front brake. I remember thinking I was going to try to land with my foot on it's head. As it was I stopped about three feet from it. It didn't even move, so I turned around and warned some joggers to take the main trail.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleboy
    Ran over a rattler's tail 20+ years ago on Little Pine. Came around a blind corner and couldn't avoid it. Yelled, "SNAAAAAAAKE!" really loud and my following buddy was able to stop. Snake was fine and rattled off into the bushes.
    Did the same thing at Mission Trails last year, just clipped it near the tail. My buddy behind me had plenty of warning and as he passed it by, he said it was looking sort of like "WTF just happened?" but wasn't rattling.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Ride in control, and rattlesnakes won't ever be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had several close encounters but only ran over one: I ran right over the middle of a big one at Sycamore Canyon (Santee side) several years ago. Crested a hill and just saw a bunch of movement under my feet in my peripheral vision. Stopped about 10 yards later and yelled back to my brother who was following. Fortunately he stopped in time, because the snake was in the middle of the trail pissed off and ready to strike.

If you are riding fast over a blind hill there is not much you can do. The best defense is just to keep your head up and look far ahead when riding, but thats good practice regardless of snakes..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I ran over one with the back tire

I was middle in a group of three. First guy yelled snake, I went toward the wrong side. Glad I lifted the front wheel. The last rider saw it strike his front wheel, but snakes are everywhere on the Rose Canyon loop. We have called it snake canyon since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    What?

I was in complete control of my bike and speed when I ran one over. Came around a blind corner and there was no choice as it was stretched across the trail. Brush was low, so I could see there were no people coming, but the snake wasn't visible until I was on it. I guess I could've been in better control if I walked my bike down the entire trail?

Another non-riding incident. I was hiking with my wife and son and came across a baby rattler on a fairly busy trail. Reached off to the side of the trail and grabbed a stick to help prod it off the trail and out of danger. Once it went on its way, I put the stick back. . .

and noticed Mom was coiled up under a rock about 6 inches from where I had grabbed the stick! She didn't strike and didn't rattle, but I was rattled!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Along the lines of this thread... Has anyone ever been bit? If so, what did you do? Does anyone have a good link on the proper protocol to take if bitten?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Get to a doctor ASAP. None of the snake bite kits really do all that much as far as I've heard. Always carry a cell phone so you can call 911.

mtbr member
    Rider in SLO about 4-5 months ago was riding when all of a sudden he felt he had been punched in the nose and felt horrible all over. Did not know what happened until he looked back on the trail and saw a rattlesnake slithering away off the trail and then noticed the bite mark on his leg. He then rode back to his car (at MDO about 5 miles) then went to the hospital where he was hospitalized.

After that I lost track of what happened next. Pretty crazy bad luck for the guy. I figure that another rider must have gone by few minutes earlier and made the snake coil up..and he had the bad luck to come by then.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I think I ran over a rattler this morning at Del Mar Mesa, didnt even know it, until the rider behind me yelled "Rattler!" and then I heard the rattling. He then proceeded to tell me I probably ran it over... Scary stuff, I didnt even see it (Im always looking ahead, but my eyes arent great).

Ride safe guys.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Never hit a snake while on my bike. Half dead squirrel? Yes. But a rattler? No. Seen a few of them while running though.
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie

After that I lost track of what happened next.
    Cool story bro

Over the Hill
    I hucked a dead skunk in the trail once.

Dean

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Rattlesnake encounter is pretty common at where I ride after work so I run over a rattlesnake every once in while if I cannot stop safely. To me panic braking in front of one is suicidal.

mtbr member
    Think I ran over 3 rattlers last year. With the colder summer they were pretty active (and aggressive as HELL!) and always seem to be stretched out across the trail as I rounded a turn. Didn't bother me much as I was gone before they could react but my buddies behind me had one PO'd rattlesnake to deal with when they caught up...
    I'm super, thanks for asking...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for all the posts. I need to keep my kids closer to me when we ride. I let my 12 year old take off uphill cause he climbs like a maniac, so thats gonna have to end. THen my 16yr old bombs down faster then us so Im gonna keep that in check too..ALSO now Im gonna be more aware of my surroundings during the hike a bike sections! I hate snakes!!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy

Now Randy...you serious?

Better that we learn quick bunny-hop panic moves.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you are afraid of rattlers, don't ride the 24 hour course at Hurkey Creek, or in the Idyllwild area. I usually ride over two or three a year. They love to lay stretched out in the middle of trails sunning themselves in the late spring. I have had two dark timber rattlers rise up into my cranks only to be knocked down. When you are moving quickly around a corner, it is impossible to react fast enough!

mtbr member
    One summer day, back when the Manitou 2 was cutting edge, we crossed FOURTEEN snakes between the top of L.A. Sycamore Canyon and the beachside trailhead. We just let'em slither away. One of them looked like a dang python. about 6' stretched out and thick.

Man, he woulda made a great hatband in the 1970's. Or, like now for the Motor City Madman.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Long ago when I used to ride dirt bikes I ran over a snake that stretched most of the way across a dirt road and looked to be as big around as my calf. I was going fast and only had time to kind of unload the suspension. I stopped and went back to look for it (and possibly put it out of it's misery if I squished it). I couldn't find any sign of it. I really think I saw it....

mtbr member
    Thankfully, the only two times I've seen them on the trail were when I was walking my bike back up. The first time I saw it from a good ten feet away, the second time I almost walked on top of it. I was about halfway off of the trail right as I rounded a corner, and because it was so small I thought it was a branch...I don't think I scared the snake at all but I was shaken up pretty good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    New to the site but not new to riding.. Last year we were riding near Thousand Oaks and I swore the item in front of me was a tree branch.. Low and behold to my surprise i bunny hoped over it and while doing so realized it was the largest rattler me and my friend had ever seen.. Tried to strike at me and lucky didnt get hit..

Seriously my biggest fear is when riding single track out here.. especially in July when the brush is so high. I think a copper head is a bigger threat though

mtbr member
    I've seen 10-15 and had to bunny-hop two of them (both on the same day at of all places.... Rattlesnake Canyon). Last July at Lake Hodges, they were out in force. I saw one on (3) straight days, including the biggest/fattest one ever. He was just sunning himself on the side of the trail, only about 1/2 mile from the main lot near NC Fair. Not surprising though because they had tons of food available. The rabbit population was immense last season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quicker401
    New to the site but not new to riding.. Last year we were riding near Thousand Oaks and I swore the item in front of me was a tree branch.. Low and behold to my surprise i bunny hoped over it and while doing so realized it was the largest rattler me and my friend had ever seen.. Tried to strike at me and lucky didnt get hit..

Seriously my biggest fear is when riding single track out here.. especially in July when the brush is so high. I think a copper head is a bigger threat though
    I don't think we really have to be on the lookout for Copperheads in SoCal.
    "The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    ppppppppppppppp
    Last edited by tjchad; 03-25-2015 at 03:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I understand that it is incredibly bad luck to step across a cobra (which is after all the king of snakes) that is lying across your path. I can only imagine the cost in Hindu holy men, milk, honey and incense it would take to avert the huge amount of bad luck that would result from riding over a cobra.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

Trail Ninja
    I rode past one that I didn't see, but heard just to the side of a horse trail in the hills by Lake Perris. It sounded like a water sprinkler. That was my first encounter since moving here in Nov '10. I don't really fear 'em since there's a lot of info out there about them. I hear they're shy and only attack if threatened. I'd stop and watch it if I see one in the middle of a trail though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    I rode past one that I didn't see, but heard just to the side of a horse trail in the hills by Lake Perris. It sounded like a water sprinkler. That was my first encounter since moving here in Nov '10. I don't really fear 'em since there's a lot of info out there about them. I hear they're shy and only attack if threatened. I'd stop and watch it if I see one in the middle of a trail though.

Lake Perris is where I had my encounter with a huge rattler 5' easy! It was on a paved part of the trail along the lake. We pulled over never seing one in the wild and I wanted to hear what a rattlesnake sounds like in person. (I dont believe Hollywood movies!) Plus I wanted my boys to hear it too in case they run into one. From a safe distance I provoked it with small pebbles and yes when threatend they will coil and rattle. AFter the experience we waited till it slithered deep into bushes and advised uncoming people about the sighting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Bunny hopped over one on me old Racer-X flying down Gridley in Ojai.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I saw my first rattler of the season this afternoon at Sycamore Canyon, Riverside. He was coiled up on the trail in the mini moab area. He wasn't a happy camper!

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    almost ran into one this afternoon off of T&A in laguna coast wilderness. luckily, i was braking already to get around a little stump. otherwise, with the tall grass i wouldn't have seen it till the last second. he was pissed!
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk (I'm looking at you, MidPen).

noob
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert
    almost ran into one this afternoon off of T&A in laguna coast wilderness. luckily, i was braking already to get around a little stump. otherwise, with the tall grass i wouldn't have seen it till the last second. he was pissed!
    I saw two in El Moro canyon on Sunday. I've hopped over one and ridden past a few, speed helps...
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing more helpess and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an either binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon...

mtbr member

this close

I wasn't close to running over a rattlesnake, but I was this close to getting bit by one I came around a bend and there it was in the trail, it rattled and then took a swipe at me as I rode past. I didn't get to see the lunge, but I definately heard it. My buddy was a second or two behind me and it took a shot at him too. We stopped a bit aways and tried to get it off the trail. There were alot of hikers on the trail that day, so we decided to help the snake off the trail. A buddy of mine got a tree branch and led it off the trail into the bushes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake2.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Happened to me today

On the Desert Classic near Pima Canyon. Didn't have time to react and the snake was stretched out over the majority of the width of the trail. He rattled, i screamed. I was able to unclip a foot, it just happened, i didn't think about it. Snake moved into a shrub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Came close to running over a trout a couple weeks ago on one of the concrete crossings up Trabuco.

This guy had no intention of moving off El Moro ridge. Ignored the sticks being tossed at it by two hikers who were afraid to pass by.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake.jpg  

Last edited by She&I; 04-02-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: To increase the quality of provided content

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Msn i think i saw the same snake at el moro ridge on Friday - i think right after "I think I can" on the way to get a view of the ocean. he was about 4 feet long

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I saw my first rattler of this year at Hurkey Creek last Friday. It was a tiny baby stretched out across the fire road by the oak tree that signals the beginning of the downhill section of the 24 hour loop. I'm surprised he didn't drown because there was a ton of water on those trails! Use a wet chain lube.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Craptasticycle
    Get to a doctor ASAP. None of the snake bite kits really do all that much as far as I've heard. Always carry a cell phone so you can call 911.

Also, do not try to hike or bike out of the area you are in unless you can keep your heart rate extremely low and you have no other choice. Better to let the medics come get you. Best thing is to stay calm and keep the heart rate low to avoid pumping the venom around the body too much.

As for the comment about keeping ones bike in control to avoid the snakes, bike control is not going to save you from a snake in the trail. I came around a blind corner on a tight single track in Calavera Preserve about a month ago and barely stopped in time to avoid running over what was a dead rattle snake sprawled across the trail. I was going about 4mph at the time because the trail was so tight.

My buddies found another dead rattler a week later in a different part of the preserve. No idea what is killing them, but I have yet to see a live one.

On another note we did see a Ring Necked Coral Snake, it was gorgeous, never seen one before, and I just missed running him over cause he was so small, probably only 9-10 inches.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I
    Came close to running over a trout a couple weeks ago on one of the concrete crossings up Trabuco.

This guy had no intention of moving off El Moro ridge. Ignored the sticks being tossed at it by two hikers who were afraid to pass by.
    That's a Southern Pacific -- notoriously stubborn and ill-tempered. Some experts even believe the Southern Pacific is more poisonous than other rattlesnakes due to cross-breeding with Mojave Greens which have a neurotoxin in their venom.

My mom sent this email to me yesterday, thought it sorta fit in on this thread:

This is a 15 foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake - the largest ever caught on record, in fact. This snake was found Near the St. Augustine outlet, in a new KB homes subdivision just south of Jacksonville FL.

A little research revealed the following:
    One bite from a snake of this size would contain enough venom to kill over 40 full grown men.

The head of this snake alone is larger than the hand of a normal sized man
    A bite from those fangs would comparable to being stabbed by two curved, 1/4 inch diameter screwdrivers.

The knife being used to draw out the fangs for the bottom picture has a blade around 4 inches long.

This snake is estimated to have weighed over 170 pounds.

Notice the girth of this snake as compared to the cops leg in the first picture (and he is
    not a small man).
    A snake of this size could easily swallow a 2 year-old child (and dogs, pigs, etc).
    A snake this size has a 5 1/2' accurate striking distance. (The distance for an average size rattlesnake is about 2 feet.)

I think Mountain Biking In Florida is a bit more hazardous when it comes to snakes.

Unless this is some elaborate email hoax....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    @klurejr -- the claimed size of the snake shown in that email has been debunked on Snopes, but that snake is truly huge nonetheless. I forget the exact size as it's been a while since I read the Snopes article.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaan
    @klurejr -- the claimed size of the snake shown in that email has been debunked on Snopes, but that snake is truly huge nonetheless. I forget the exact size as it's been a while since I read the Snopes article.
    I should of known better, gonna check out the snopes article now.

EDIT:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/15ftrattler.asp

The snake is just over 7 feet long, not 15, but heck that is still a monster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    @klurejr -- for sure; that's about 5' longer than any rattlesnake I'd want to run into on the trail. He's probably as big around as a grapefruit.

mtbr member

Luge Snake Pron

Friend came across these two sexing it up on the Luge about a week ago.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail, XT/XTR 1x Build Kit

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Now Randy...you serious?

Better that we learn quick bunny-hop panic moves.
    That's still riding in control, Mike. What are you, up to 5 rattlesnakes already this month, and it's not even the 15th of April?

banned
    Sep 2007
    That's two male red diamond backs fighting for breeding rights.... somewhere a female is near by.

mtbr member
    Yesterday at GMR/Monroe Truck trail in Gelndora.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kFewKOS8Ufs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, you guys re lucky that first one that was coiled did not strike either of you.

I ran into a coiled up 4-5 footer on the way back to the parking lot out at Daley Ranch (cougar pass entrance) yesterday afternoon, it was close to 5:30pm and he was coiled in the grass off the side of the trail, I was climbing so I heard him before I saw him, but it still freaked me out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    All this talk of rattlesnakes has me nervous, especially with all the tall grass coming right up to the edge of the trails. I had a close call with a pissed-off Southern Pacific a few weeks ago down in Sweetwater, and I ran over an itty-bitty baby red in Oak Canyon last week, but that's it.

I was climbing CR-1 in Spring last night and came upon a huge alligator lizard. Before I got a good look at him I thought he was a rattlesnake, he was that thick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This worries me I'm not gonna lie... There shouldn't be any snakes in spring right? They only come out in the summer? Forgive my ignorance, I just hate snakes lol

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemberland
    This worries me I'm not gonna lie... There shouldn't be any snakes in spring right? They only come out in the summer? Forgive my ignorance, I just hate snakes lol
    Ha ha HAHAHA haha haa (deep an cruel laughter).....

.... dude.... summer (when the earth warms up enough to tell the snakes it's dinner time out there) starts in San Diego somewhere around March 29 (one week after equinox).

Snakes are part of the environment. The only thing they have on you is POISON and SURPRISE. You can't fight the poison, but you sure can mitigate the surprise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    Ha ha HAHAHA haha haa (deep an cruel laughter).....

.... dude.... summer (when the earth warms up enough to tell the snakes it's dinner time out there) starts in San Diego somewhere around March 29 (one week after equinox).

Snakes are part of the environment. The only thing they have on you is POISON and SURPRISE. You can't fight the poison, but you sure can mitigate the surprise.
    Ah ****! Lol!

That said, did anybody see any snakes in Otay Lakes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    God forbid if you do get, do you ride out or stay put and try to explain to 911 where the heck your at. Half the time I'm not even sure of the name of the trail I'm on.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanminded
    God forbid if you do get, do you ride out or stay put and try to explain to 911 where the heck your at. Half the time I'm not even sure of the name of the trail I'm on.

Stay Put unless it is life or death that you need to move.

If you are alone and have no cell signal to call 911 and no one is on the trail to help, then perhaps you should move slowly keeping your heart rate down until you get cell signal. Too much heart rate will move the venom quicker in your body.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    Stay Put unless it is life or death that you need to move.

If you are alone and have no cell signal to call 911 and no one is on the trail to help, then perhaps you should move slowly keeping your heart rate down until you get cell signal. Too much heart rate will move the venom quicker in your body.
    I was taught differently, but who knows who is right. I just moved here to SoCal. The guy made sense to me. I said to just immobilize that area and maybe fashion a sort of loose tourniquet. Heart rate doesn't really mean much. If the snake was lucky enough to inject all the venom into a vein, that would probably be near instant death. More than likely, its in the muscle and working that body part attracts more blood, which would pick up the venom. That and blood pressure maybe, so stay calm, relax the bitten area, call 911, get to a more accessible spot. The sooner you get treatment, the better the chances. He also mentioned that snake-bite kits are ineffective and sucking it out/suction is also ineffective and 911 and the hospital is the way to go.

IE. if my left leg got bitten, I'd just ride my bike, mostly coasting with weight on my right foot and use my right leg to pedal if necessary, with my left hanging/resting, and get to the trailhead. If I were with a buddy and we were parked at the trailhead, I'd probably have 'em drive me to the hospital if it didn't take long to get there. Dunno why kind of treatment they can do on an ambulance, but if they have anti-venom on it, I probably would wait for that instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Snake phobia makes me roadbiking

Yeah, I am really having a hard time daring going for a mtb ride during snake season here in San Diego.
    I rode for 4 years in the Santa Monica Mountains: only saw one huge black coiled rattler. I literally rode maybe a foot next to him, only to hear that scary rattling sound, uncliped and ...survived..
    Saw a few in the in the San Gabriels.
    Spend 3 years in in Palm Spring and saw none, zero, nada (rode a few times/week in the goat trails).
    Now, I am in San Diego and where I ride (Daley Ranch), from March to Sept-October, I can say I see at least one rattler every ride. I am not kidding, last week, 3 on the same ride...
    In April last year, I basically decided to stop riding my MTB until fall. Now the question is "is road biking any less dangerous than mtbiking in snake country ?"
    And see, it's Sunday PM, I would like to go for a 3hr mtb ride, but instead will go road biking again (already have 10 hr of road in the legs and want to ride my superfly).

R.I.P. DogFriend
    That 'record size' snake is much closer to the camera than that dude in the background (old fisherman's trick ).

The reports I have seen are that it was 9'1", which is still HUGE.
    ============================
    Was searching in the weeds next to a trail for a shovel (to do some trail work) that a friend had stashed on Wednesday evening. I was standing in one spot and gave him a call on the cell to try to pinpoint the location of the shovel. Just as he answered the phone, I took two steps and turned around to see a small/mediu, sized rattler coiled up just a couple inches from where I had just been standing. He never made a sound.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fabe
    Yeah, I am really having a hard time daring going for a mtb ride during snake season here in San Diego.
    I rode for 4 years in the Santa Monica Mountains: only saw one huge black coiled rattler. I literally rode maybe a foot next to him, only to hear that scary rattling sound, uncliped and ...survived..
    Saw a few in the in the San Gabriels.
    Spend 3 years in in Palm Spring and saw none, zero, nada (rode a few times/week in the goat trails).
    Now, I am in San Diego and where I ride (Daley Ranch), from March to Sept-October, I can say I see at least one rattler every ride. I am not kidding, last week, 3 on the same ride...
    In April last year, I basically decided to stop riding my MTB until fall. Now the question is "is road biking any less dangerous than mtbiking in snake country ?"
    And see, it's Sunday PM, I would like to go for a 3hr mtb ride, but instead will go road biking again (already have 10 hr of road in the legs and want to ride my superfly).
    I believe most snake bites occur to drunk young men who 'play' with them. I do, this time of year, stay on the trail when I dismount. I always look where I put my feet. The snakes I've seen are always bee-lining off the trail or giving the rattle warning. Not very aggressive.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail, XT/XTR 1x Build Kit

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebird
    I believe most snake bites occur to drunk young men who 'play' with them. I do, this time of year, stay on the trail when I dismount. I always look where I put my feet. The snakes I've seen are always bee-lining off the trail or giving the rattle warning. Not very aggressive.
    99% of the snakes I've seen are laid back / chill. All it takes is one with an attitude to wreck your day though.

I've ridden by one that I never even saw but it was rattling and hissing like a cobra from the side of the trail; who knows maybe it had just been run over by a biker a few minutes before I went by. Also heard a report of a big old diamondback at San Diego Sycamore slithering right down the middle of the trail directly toward guys on bikes - so don't necessarily count on them ALWAYS being non-aggressive.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    INCREDIBLE SHOT!!!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Are you saying that drunk young men do not make good snake charmers? What about drunk middle aged men? I capture and hold the rattlers I come across on the trail and I haven't been bitten yet???

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicz
    Yesterday at GMR/Monroe Truck trail in Gelndora.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kFewKOS8Ufs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I've seen "buzzers" on that ride also. How's the water situation down at the start of the trail? Has the roaring river subsided yet???

Saw a smaller one dead and missing the front half of his body out in Calavera yesterday, so now that is three different dead rattlers I have seen in that area over the past month. I have yet to see a live on in Calavera.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone here ever been bit or been on a ride where someone got bit?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell
    Anyone here ever been bit or been on a ride where someone got bit?
    Question's been asked. Read the thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Question's been asked. Read the thread.

Thanks for your direct response and coaching how I should manage my time.

You actually brought quite a bit of distraction to my ride today as I laughed over and over at your silly command for me to be a better reader. It helped me get past the burn on the uphills.

Next time, instead of being a dbag, maybe try to give a suggestion or even point out something that someone might have missed.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Cool, glad I could help. Next time you're too lazy to read the whole thread just shoot me a pm and I'll get you up to speed again.

Genius
    Yes. 3 times. We have lots of snakes in the desert southwest. We even had a snake pit in one of the ranches my family owned until 3-4 years ago when it was sold. The pit was basically a canyon but no one ever went down there. You could throw a rock down there to tick them off. The noise made by the startled snakes was impressively loud.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemberland
    Ah ****! Lol!

That said, did anybody see any snakes in Otay Lakes?
    Saw a rattler today laying on the trail around the upper Otay Lake, scared the heck out me. Then i had to pass it again on the way back was still in roughly same place .
    Last edited by Cobra8d; 05-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Saw 2 San Diego Gopher snakes on my ride in Chesebro today. My Sister-in-law just called and said that there is a snake in her front yard, oh no!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A snake without a head is something you don't see every ride. El Morro Ridge.

What happened? It had been writhing in the trail for some time based on its prints. The injury included a long flap of skin hanging. My guess is a run in with a hawk or other predator. But why leave the meat? The track is could be mine, but pretty sure I swung more left. I turned around after whipping by. Now that I think more about it, the snake was not small so the track looks more like a motorcycle. Weird.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode up on a rattler on thusday and another on friday at Sycamore Canyon/Riverside. The biggest one was as thick as my forearm! Both in the mini moab area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d
    Saw a rattler today laying on the trail around the upper Otay Lake, scared the heck out me. Then i had to pass it again on the way back was still in roughly same place .
    Thank god your safe man, I usually ride around Lower Otay Lakes anyways. BUT, now I'm hesitating now if I should continue. If I ever ride again around Otay Lakes, I'll make sure I have someone ride with me. I usually ride by myself.

Keep pedaling

I saw a small one bite my front tire.

I saw a small one bite my front tire. The snake was blocking a narrow trail (La Tuna Canyon single track). I came to a stop to before I reached it, threw some little rocks at it but it wouldn't get out of the way. Then I stood behind my bike and bumped it with the front tire a few times. Finally it bit my front tire, rattled and slithered away.

It didn't rattle until after striking. The bite didn't puncture my tire. The snake was only about 12-18 inches long.

mtbr member
    rode through sycamore canyon last weekend and didnt see any, now I'm nervous man, I hate snakes! Luckily they make me levetate for several feet due to the intense pucker factor. Geeze, now I just want to stick to the road...

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by the
    rode through sycamore canyon last weekend and didnt see any, now I'm nervous man, I hate snakes! Luckily they make me levetate for several feet due to the intense pucker factor. Geeze, now I just want to stick to the road...
    YEAH, but on the road you could get hit by a mustang, pinto, falcon, impala, bobcat, ram, jaguar, beetle, rabbit, fox or cougar (maybe not so bad).

99.9% (I'm not absolutely sure) of the snakes in SoCal are not fast enough to pursue you on a bike, but quick enough to bite your nose if you try to give them a kiss

Thus the best policy is to ride on the dirt and do NOT attempt to kiss any snakes, no matter how tempting it may be

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Came across a good sized Southern Pacific the other day in the chino hills state park. I was riding west on telegraph canyon and i was coming up on what I thought was a tree branch... until it instantly coiled up when I got within 2' of it. The snake was about 30" long and rattled something deep and scary sounding.

This was my first venomous snake encounter and it rattled me for about 500ft. I said to myself... "**** everything about that". luckily I was alone and the snake was ready to strike for nothing.

I think my co pay on emergency room visits is ridiculous .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Almost ran over one in Simpson Park (Hemet) about 4 days ago. Came around a corner on a flat section going slow to medium speed and it was half on the trail and half in the bushes. I'm bummed that my initial reaction was to stop instead of pedal my ass off to get by it. Before I was even stopped (instantly as I saw it) it coiled and started rattling. I've seen lots of rattlesnakes growing up in SoCal and riding bikes and motorcycles in the desert etc. and this was far and away the loudest mofo I have ever heard. I got up on a rock aobut 6-8 feet above it and took a shot of it. It was off the trail about a foot coiled ready to bite the **** out of me. You can see it in the center of the shot. I couldn't get the video to work of how loud it was so that is just a photo of the screenshot to give you an idea of where it was in relationship to the trail. Its coiled in the bush with the white buds on it on the right side of the trail. Also, have seen one in Aliso Woods at the start of the trail down from the water tower, one in peters canyon, and one on the san juan trail, all within the last 2 months. And I accidentally ran over a rosy boa on the same ride in simpson that I saw the rattler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-snake1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Trail Ninja
    I came upon a snake at Sycamore Canyon, Riverside as well. I noticed it when I rode by it, giving it a little extra room; I looked back and noticed my riding buddy stopped. I turned my bike around and found him picking it up and moving it off the trail.

Like some others have pointed out, I'll take my chances riding by since I know I ride faster and my exposed flesh are rather high above the ground. More of a chance of the snake getting hurt than me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnakesycamore1.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnakesycamore2.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnakesycamore3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yes. last month at noble canyon. in the rocky lower part. ran over the first one.

screamed like a girl and pedaled away like crazy. the next one 15 yards later must of heard my frightened cry as it was going off the trail as i rode by like wiley coyote.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I did Saturday at Spring Canyon -- fortunately he had a rat half-way down his throat at the time, so he couldn't bite me. Rolled over him at about 4 mph about half-way up 3 Barrels. Couldn't make him out until my front wheel was about 1 foot away and by then it was too late to stop. Most scared I've ever been of a snake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Funny when I read this thread. I was riding today at El Morro and came down a steep hill and then turned to a flat trail, a baby rattle snake is lying on the right side of the trail and perfectly blended into the ground. I stopped right in front of him and my front tire is literally right next to his head. I looked at him and took off right next to him. He looks very calm and I am so lucky that he didnít bit me as my right foot just right next to his head.. I think I didnít look ahead as a beginner rider which I should.. I am proud that I didnít panic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rode Granite Bay, Ca trails (starting point, middle trail) saw a rattler , didn't really notice it, it was spread out just chilling in the shade, but didn't run it over.
    Went back 2 days later, different part of the trail , saw another one spread out and I just bunny hopped over it since it was spread out over the entire singletrack and I wasn't trying to fall next to it. (both sides was either a tree or bushes)
    Ever since I saw the first one, I pay more attention to my surroundings (I already do, just a lot more) the last thing I want to do is hurt or kill wildlife, regardless if it's a squirrel or snake, it's really their land where they live, we just ride on it

SoCal mtbr
    Yup, I ran into one today at PQ around 5:30PM. The only advice I could give is to look far ahead so you have time to react to any situation you may come across on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-pq-snake.jpg  

Instagram: @steven_bikes

2016 Transition Smuggler aka The Honey Badger

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride PQ a lot and have seen more snakes this year
    than all the other years put together. I wonder if all the
    rain we got this year may have something to do with it?

Best, John

mtbr member
    May 2011
    looking at the size of all of these snakes, 3 to 5 feet, if you put your legs up on top of your bike frame, I dont possibly see how one could strike high enough to bite a body part?

even id you roll right by it and not over it?

snakes strike downwards or forwards, so to bite a body part up that high, it would need to get its head at least 36 inches above ground before the strike? which could never happen even on a 5 foot snake?

mtbr member

Does bunny hopping one count?

Was coming down a singletrack section of Gabriellino between Red Box and Switzer a few years before the station fire and saw a down tube size branch laying across the trail. Except it wasn't a branch, it was a fat rattle snake. By the time I realized what it was, there was no time to stop... so I bunny hopped it. The snake didn't even wake up until my buddy got there. I yelled at him to stop 'cause there was a snake. So he stopped and started throwing pebbles and twigs at it, which totally pissed it off. Started rattling and slithered off the trail.

Don't try this at home. Rattle snakes eat bunnies so if you try to execute a bunny hop, the snake could mistake you for food and it may try and eat you. I'm just saying.

Scott

Trail Ninja
    This rattlesnake snuck to the benches on top of Snow Summit Big Bear at the Viewhaus:

Kind of scary knowing how many people were next to it, including children, and didn't really notice it. This one was really well camouflaged.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebird View Post
    BALLS OF STEAL! i grew up on a farm and rattlers are the only thing i can think of besides skunks that will make me run away like a 14 year old school girl from R.kelly

mtbr member
    I had a moment of pure stupidity at spring canyon earlier today. Like most of the other posts, I came around a blind corner at a medium pace and saw a meaty one crawling across the traill about 10' in front. After trying to hammer the foot break on my 450x and grabbing the clutch I realized as I was going over the bars that I was NOT riding my X!!! As I sailed over the bars, I somehow clicked out mid flight and landed on my feet about 5 feet away. My niner goes bouncing right over this guy and off into the bushes. HOLY F'n crap... I damn near had a heart attack thinking how stupid I was grabbing levers in a panic and picking the wrong one. Never done anything so stupid, but lesson learned......there is no clutch on a mtn bike

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 189