Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Who's run over a Rattler? now that its snake season

Im just curious who's actually run over one they couldnt avoid. I ride with my boys who are teenagers and want to try to give guidence on how to handle a situation. We came across one last year but we saw him in plenty of time to slow and roll around him. Im not so worried if im not clipped in and can lift my feet up high but you never know!

official eMpTyBRain
    I ran directly over a small Gopher snake a few years ago. I stopped to check it out and was shocked to see that it did not have any obvious injury.

When we were kids, my Cousin and I were jumping down from boulders along a creek and he landed right on top of a large rattler. It was scary and funny. The snake didn't know what hit it. It was clearly asleep, coiled up. My Cousin is a big Viking (Icelandic) yet he more or less bounced off the snake in an effort to get away from it quickly.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ran over a rattler at PQ, coming down the ST on cobbles trail. Came around bend, saw the snake and ID'd it as a rattler as my front wheel was going over it. It was flat out across the trail so I don't think there was any way it could have swung around to get me, my main concern was for my buddy coming up right behind me. Snake was SUPER pissed lol, hissing and rattling. Was a bit scary for my friend to pass where it slithered off into the grass, he didn't know if it was just hiding plotting revenge or what.

Been rattled at 2x while hike a biking not looking where I was going, once at Hodges at the little hill/creek crossing after the whoopsies by a HUGE diamondback probably like 3.5-4 feet long and once by a little guy at Sycamore tip top trail when I was walking backwards thinking how cool it was that I could see the ocean. Advice there is to always look where you're going.

I've seen probably 5-10 more over the years that basically just ignored me

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ran over a rattler's tail 20+ years ago on Little Pine. Came around a blind corner and couldn't avoid it. Yelled, "SNAAAAAAAKE!" really loud and my following buddy was able to stop. Snake was fine and rattled off into the bushes.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    One time I locked up my brakes so that I wouldn't run a massive one over at PQ (as mentioned above). I ended up going over the bars and face planting 1 foot from it. One of the sketchiest crashes of all time. Not cool. My endo was one of those slow motion ones too...lots of time to think about what was about to happen...

One struck my buddies rear wheel two years ago at Mission Trails....saw it happen with my own two eyes. He is a tough dude, but screemed like a little girl. It was pretty funny actually.

Not sure what to do about it though. It is just a risk we all take I guess. Have a cell phone on you at least and hope you get reception...

mtbr member
    Yes to that one at least a few times. It happens on the way down and the last time was last summer. When you see them it's sometimes too late and immediately you level out your pedals to get yourself as far from him as possible. Right over the last one and he just stayed put. I usually nudge them off the trail when I see them so they don't get run over or bite someone. My daughter also almost stepped on one last year. I warned her just in time as we were hiking. Lots of them in the bay area in California. Getting bit by one can sometimes cost 75 grand and up. Hospital and anti venum shots are expensive.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member

$$$$$$ snake bite u tube

This one cost 150 grand me thinks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcDZbXslfw
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I HATE SNAKES!! I Saw some shedded snake skin at turnbull a few weeks ago during my hike.

mtbr member
    If you see it in time to stop early, just do and then you can coax 'em off the trail to go hunt bunnies and other such stuff. Don't go bananas trying to stop, though: you don't want to wind up either on the ground or stopped right over the snake, right?

If you can't avoid, roll right over and go toward the "head side" (keeps 'em down so they don't strike, if it has time). The bigger danger is definitely to the rider(s) behind you, who then encounter a startled, angry snake.

I was riding in a group of six running 2x2x2 on a fire road when we came across 3 in the trail. The first two groups of us bunny-hopped the snakes and the third group got a "ponk" sound off the 'dale downtube of one rider... from a snake head. Close one. Better to ride lead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ive been ponked by a rattler sunning itself on the side of the trail. Also went past one that was run over by the guy in front of me. I got unnerved by the ponking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I almost did Rydbyk's face plant next to a rattler. On my first ride with disc brakes I came around a corner in San Clemente canyon to find a snake stretched across the trail. I grabbed some brake and the rear wheel came off the ground about a foot before I let off the front brake. I remember thinking I was going to try to land with my foot on it's head. As it was I stopped about three feet from it. It didn't even move, so I turned around and warned some joggers to take the main trail.

I'm your density
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleboy
    Ran over a rattler's tail 20+ years ago on Little Pine. Came around a blind corner and couldn't avoid it. Yelled, "SNAAAAAAAKE!" really loud and my following buddy was able to stop. Snake was fine and rattled off into the bushes.
    Did the same thing at Mission Trails last year, just clipped it near the tail. My buddy behind me had plenty of warning and as he passed it by, he said it was looking sort of like "WTF just happened?" but wasn't rattling.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Ride in control, and rattlesnakes won't ever be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had several close encounters but only ran over one: I ran right over the middle of a big one at Sycamore Canyon (Santee side) several years ago. Crested a hill and just saw a bunch of movement under my feet in my peripheral vision. Stopped about 10 yards later and yelled back to my brother who was following. Fortunately he stopped in time, because the snake was in the middle of the trail pissed off and ready to strike.

If you are riding fast over a blind hill there is not much you can do. The best defense is just to keep your head up and look far ahead when riding, but thats good practice regardless of snakes..

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I ran over one with the back tire

I was middle in a group of three. First guy yelled snake, I went toward the wrong side. Glad I lifted the front wheel. The last rider saw it strike his front wheel, but snakes are everywhere on the Rose Canyon loop. We have called it snake canyon since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Ride in control, and rattlesnakes won't ever be an issue.
    What?

I was in complete control of my bike and speed when I ran one over. Came around a blind corner and there was no choice as it was stretched across the trail. Brush was low, so I could see there were no people coming, but the snake wasn't visible until I was on it. I guess I could've been in better control if I walked my bike down the entire trail?

Another non-riding incident. I was hiking with my wife and son and came across a baby rattler on a fairly busy trail. Reached off to the side of the trail and grabbed a stick to help prod it off the trail and out of danger. Once it went on its way, I put the stick back. . .

and noticed Mom was coiled up under a rock about 6 inches from where I had grabbed the stick! She didn't strike and didn't rattle, but I was rattled!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Along the lines of this thread... Has anyone ever been bit? If so, what did you do? Does anyone have a good link on the proper protocol to take if bitten?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Get to a doctor ASAP. None of the snake bite kits really do all that much as far as I've heard. Always carry a cell phone so you can call 911.

mtbr member
    Rider in SLO about 4-5 months ago was riding when all of a sudden he felt he had been punched in the nose and felt horrible all over. Did not know what happened until he looked back on the trail and saw a rattlesnake slithering away off the trail and then noticed the bite mark on his leg. He then rode back to his car (at MDO about 5 miles) then went to the hospital where he was hospitalized.

After that I lost track of what happened next. Pretty crazy bad luck for the guy. I figure that another rider must have gone by few minutes earlier and made the snake coil up..and he had the bad luck to come by then.
    Originally Posted by XC62701
    Agreed...make it longer. I want to know death is an option

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I think I ran over a rattler this morning at Del Mar Mesa, didnt even know it, until the rider behind me yelled "Rattler!" and then I heard the rattling. He then proceeded to tell me I probably ran it over... Scary stuff, I didnt even see it (Im always looking ahead, but my eyes arent great).

Ride safe guys.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Never hit a snake while on my bike. Half dead squirrel? Yes. But a rattler? No. Seen a few of them while running though.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Dokie

After that I lost track of what happened next.
    Cool story bro

Over the Hill
    I hucked a dead skunk in the trail once.

Dean

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Rattlesnake encounter is pretty common at where I ride after work so I run over a rattlesnake every once in while if I cannot stop safely. To me panic braking in front of one is suicidal.

mtbr member
    Think I ran over 3 rattlers last year. With the colder summer they were pretty active (and aggressive as HELL!) and always seem to be stretched out across the trail as I rounded a turn. Didn't bother me much as I was gone before they could react but my buddies behind me had one PO'd rattlesnake to deal with when they caught up...
    I'm super, thanks for asking...

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast