Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Lindsay
    I ran over a rattler climbing up brown mountain fire road/singletrack last Monday afternoon. It was in the mid 80's. Looks like it got my rear tire. Lot's of snakes out, I must have passed 4 other.

That's the last time I'm listening to my music while climbing. In fact, that's the last time I'm climbing this fire road until it gets smooth as a baby bottom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Brown mountain is one of my old stomping grounds, haven't been up there in years. Thanks for the report, have been wondering about its condition since getting my new ride about a month ago. See you up there sometime.

This thread as a whole is great, thanks to all posters for the awesome pictures and anecdotes.

mtbr member

Upper Otay Lake Chula Vista

Almost ran one over today around the upper Otay Lake. He was laid out across the trail on a bend l. Didn't have time to stop just went around him, snapped a picture has he took off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Funny, I just realized this is the SoCal thread. Here is one from a ride a few years ago in Jim Thorpe PA, This snake was super mellow and didn't rattle. It stayed like this until it started to rain lightly and off it went into the bush.

About 1/2 mile later I almost stepped on a 5 footer that was more aggressive and rattled instantly. This was in some 1ft high grass and the snake raised it head up over it to look at me!

Both of them were dark phase timber rattlers.
    <p>

<p>
    Last edited by Guitarswheelies; 06-01-2012 at 02:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I swear, I'd be the unlucky SOB to accidentally run one over & actual get bit. Oooh the irony....

mtbr member
    Ran into 2 of them yesterday climbing the mountain around Otay Lake off of Proctor Valley. The first was fairly big one 3 ft or so. Right at the top of the Peak at around 1870 ft did not get a picture of him, but he went into bushes right in front of my bike in the first picture. Surprised the #&^% out of me as I just taken my gear off and was not expecting a rattler that high up. The second is a little baby rattler on the way down about halfway to the base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn5808.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn5858.jpg  

Trail Ninja
    I've run over smaller ones. The last one I ran over, about a month ago, didn't even make a sound. It was just stretched out across the trail and I didn't even process in my mind that I had just run over a rattler until after a few meters past it. Came back to see if it was still alive, and it was coiled up, probably in pain. This is a tiny one like the one in Cobra8D's pic. I found a stick and gently poked it, and it gave a rattle sound that I've never heard before; the rattle had a cute sound, in comparison to the loud "water sprinkler" sound that I've heard the bigger ones make. Those, I'm happy to say I've never come close to running over. They're not as well camouflaged as the small ones either, very easy to spot, so I don't see it happening anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Damn, maybe I should reconsider this wanting to mountian bike now

Trail Ninja
    Sad.

Knowing how rattlesnakes act and how to treat a rattlesnake bite pretty much makes it not much of a worry.

A Natural History of California - Allan A. Schoenherr - Google Books
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/emergency_...20Reptiles.pdf

I pay more caution to people on foot, esp. ones that don't seem to be out to enjoy the trails or the rocks (more trying to do stuff that they can't do out in public), than the amount of caution I have for rattlesnakes. Those druggies, teenage kids carrying sticks, hunters or other plp who like to bring weapons out to the trail, are more of a worry. I should go out of my way to ride trails that don't have those types hanging out, but...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Sad.

Knowing how rattlesnakes act and how to treat a rattlesnake bite pretty much makes it not much of a worry.

I pay more caution to people on foot, esp. ones that don't seem to be out to enjoy the trails or the rocks (more trying to do stuff that they can't do out in public), than the amount of caution I have for rattlesnakes. Those druggies, teenage kids carrying sticks, hunters or other plp who like to bring weapons out to the trail, are more of a worry. I should go out of my way to ride trails that don't have those types hanging out, but...

Totally agree, and the only reason the one surprised me is because I screwed up and didn't fully check the area out before fumbling around with my gear. Even then he was totally mellow and just wanted to avoid me even more than I wanted to avoid him.

mtbr member
    Ever since I got a 29er I can ride right over rattlers and not hurt them. They really appreciate the lower roll over resistance.

mtbr member

Proctor Valley / Jamull Mt, CA

First one of the year as I was climbing from Proctor Valley up the Jamul Mt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn0352.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn0355.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Live in Apple Valley and i started seeing them couple weeks ago....Gotta love the High Desert

mtbr member
    Saw a bunch of snakes on Brown Mtn last weekend. No rattlers though. Also a ridiculous number of lizards that like to run race me along the trail.
    buzzes like a fridge

banned
    Sep 2010
    The meanest rattlers I've come across in San Diego county are the few I've encountered on the trails in Mt. Laguna. Maybe it's the mountain air that makes them more ornery.......

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Sad.

Yes. I keep a particularly close eye on those out there wielding 'Sierra Clubs'. They tend to be the nastiest.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Saw a bunch of snakes on Brown Mtn last weekend. No rattlers though. Also a ridiculous number of lizards that like to run race me along the trail.
    What species of snakes?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    What species of snakes?
    Probably trouser snakes . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sunday we rode schabarum park. We were on those switchbacks above the stables when the guy riding behind me stopped to catch his breath and a 4ft rattler crossed his path. Reminds me to stay on the main path. I will no longer be tempted to take one of those narrow shortcuts with tall grass on both sides cuz if you dont make the climb and have to put a foot down you'd never know if a snake was inches away.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boyonadyke View Post
    ride in control, and rattlesnakes won't ever be an issue.
    bs!

mtbr member
    I've run over a lot of them. But, I grew up, on a huge ranch, riding dirt bikes, mountain bikes, driving 4x4s since I was old enough to reach the pedals and peeling panties off of hot chicks if they want to see the ranch. I have also killed plenty of them. Not because I want to, but because they were really close to the houses or barns or close to me or an animal. It's not worth the danger to try to relocate them. But, unfortunately, you can't leave them around the houses and barns. If they are out away from those common areas, then I leave them alone. Just like everything else, they have a purpose out there. One day I was hiking on the ranch with this girl I grew up with. We were hiking up a hill and I walked right over the top of one. I didn't see it till it was between my feet. I didn't even think, I just jumped out of the way. One day my father was following three sets of mountain bike tracks. He was near some brush, he stopped and there was a rattler coiled up next to his foot. So, he shot it with the shot gun he was holding. Right then the mountain bikers came out of the bushes yelling, "don't shoot us". It was funny. Last Friday, one of our horses died from a rattlesnake bite to the face. Her head swelled up about twice it's original size. It wasn't a pretty site. A rattlesnake bite to a human is a pretty serious thing. If you live through it, it will leave you pretty effed up.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    [/URL]

South East Side of the hill below Lake Calavera on Friday Afternoon.

Also this thread is of interest:
    Rattlesnakes and Off-Leash Dogs

Keep your eye and ears open and stay safe.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

I saw a 3 foot juvenile Rattler yesterday afternoon on the ridge to the south east of Lake Calavera. It was off the trail by about 3 feet at the edge of the brush. My wife walked right past and did not even see it. It was not coiled and just relaxing. I stopped to take a closer look and held my dog back. I wanted him to see it and understand that he was to avoid the sound (once he started rattling). What concerned me the most is the fact that the last two rattle snakes did not make any noise right away.

Stay alert out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I saw a 3 foot juvenile Rattler yesterday afternoon on the ridge to the south east of Lake Calavera. It was off the trail by about 3 feet at the edge of the brush. My wife walked right past and did not even see it. It was not coiled and just relaxing. I stopped to take a closer look and held my dog back. I wanted him to see it and understand that he was to avoid the sound (once he started rattling). What concerned me the most is the fact that the last two rattle snakes did not make any noise right away.

Stay alert out there!
    That's middle aged.

whatever age, his rattle was pretty small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Their rattles are very delicate and parts of them break off frequently. A 3 footer is a young adult of breeding age. They get a new button with ever shedding (2-4 times each year) but it's rare to see any rattler with a full/never broken rattle.

mtbr member
    Saw a rattler on brown last friday. No rattling though so it may have been squished.
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Haha, that sounds like a personal problem for the poor little guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Aren't rattlesnake rattles actually stingers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    Ride in control, and rattlesnakes won't ever be an issue.
    Even if you do ride in control there can be issues, I was riding along a few years ago and was riding off to one side of the trail and I hear a pinging sound. I stopped and looked back and a rattler had hit my seat tube right behind my leg. I was lucky he missed my leg.

Where I ride you see several rattlers during the hot season. Just pay attention off to the side of the trail.

Slap happy crappiness
    Any snake experts in here want to ID this lil' fella?
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_0799.jpg
    Yelled at a bud to stop him inches before he ran this guy over. Was laid out in the middle of the street right by the car. At first I wasn't concerned with him at all thinking it was a gopher snake or something since it clearly had not rattle, but then the shape of the head was the typical viper triangle shape so I kept my eye on him while we packed up and left. Ended up picking it up on a stick and walking him over to the side of the road so he didn't get nailed.
    Any Juan know what kinda of snake it is?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Iv'e heard of them crossing, but I don't know if it's true or not.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I average about one snake a year, and I've been riding trails for almost 25 years. It's just a fact of life if you ride trails in SoCal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Saw two rattlesnakes Saturday south of Sweetwater. First one was big enough I saw it from 100 feet away, looked to be at least 5 foot, had a pinkish cast to the color to match the clay dirt. Second one was about 2 1/2 feet. I spotted the tail as it was crossing the single track. Waited for it to get about 6 foot off the trail. As we went by, it buzzed and made us jump. Sounded like a joy buzzer going off.

Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg 
Views:	1888 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	799277
    Yelled at a bud to stop him inches before he ran this guy over. Was laid out in the middle of the street right by the car. At first I wasn't concerned with him at all thinking it was a gopher snake or something since it clearly had not rattle, but then the shape of the head was the typical viper triangle shape so I kept my eye on him while we packed up and left. Ended up picking it up on a stick and walking him over to the side of the road so he didn't get nailed.
    Where did you see him at? He looks like a Rattle Snake.
    Crotalus ruber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other snakes found in the Wild in Socal are the California King:
    California kingsnake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Garter Snake:
    Garter snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are others, but the king, garter and diamond back are the most common from what I understand.

Here is a good site with more info on California Snake Species:
    Commonly Encountered California Snakes

I forgot to mention the Gopher snake is very common and looks the most like a Rattler, however no diamond shape head, and no fangs or rattle.

Also, I think I saw that Same Rattler Yesterday on the ridge south east of Lake Calavera, about 200-300 yards away from where I saw one a few days ago, but I do not think they roam super far. He was escaping into a bush so I could not get a good look at him.

b a n n e d
    Hawg will know . . . he'd probably try to pick the damn thing up.

Slap happy crappiness
    Also, I think I saw that Same Rattler Yesterday on the ridge south east of Lake Calavera, about 200-300 yards away from where I saw one a few days ago, but I do not think they roam super far. He was escaping into a bush so I could not get a good look at him.
    This guy was in Alpine. I'm not convinced he's a rattler but his head was strikingly similar, enough to make me keep an eye on him.
    This was the second large snake we ran across today. If the other one would have been a rattler he could have EASILY struck one of us, lucky for us it wasn't. We were descending pretty quickly and my buddy abruptly stopped in the middle of a fast rock section. I was focused on slamming on my brakes to not rear end him and we both stood there for a good 45 seconds chatting and then all of a sudden the ground started moving. It was a good 5 feet long and pretty thick... I was more concerned with unclipping my other foot and getting the F out of there rather than trying to ID the snake, but it wasn't a rattler. Must have been 3 or 4 inches from our tires, right between us.

mtbr member

Who's run over a Rattler? now that its snake season

Looks like a Gopher Snake to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

That is a San Diego Gopher snake. Very common. I just released one that I was keeping for a few weeks . They are great bluffers/actors. Hissing, flattened their heads. rattling their tails, striking a lot. But they generally don't bite, just trying to scare you off.

***look at my avatar.

banned
    Jan 2013
    ^ agreed, and a hog snake will roll over, play dead and let off a god awful stench if threatened. Just natural responses to our incursion, their mimicry is kinda neat though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I just released one that I was keeping for a few weeks .
    playmate for your rabbit?
    buzzes like a fridge

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    playmate for your rabbit?
    ...for my daughter

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Haven't seen many snakes yet up here in Apple Valley....Usually ride in the morning so not sure if that's what it is! I've always seen more in late afternoon right around this time.
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    That is a San Diego Gopher snake. Very common. I just released one that I was keeping for a few weeks . They are great bluffers/actors. Hissing, flattened their heads. rattling their tails, striking a lot. But they generally don't bite, just trying to scare you off.

***look at my avatar.
    This confirms my suspicions along with SoCal-Rider comment. When we first rolled up on it I was like "awww cute, a gopher snake..." and ignored it as I started taking taking my riding stuff off. Then we saw it almost get nailed by a passing truck so we grabbed our bikes and attempted to rangle it off the street, and that's when it started looking/acting like a rattlesnake. I went into cautious mode thinking maybe this was a rattler born without it's rattle. We still managed to pick it up and get it out of the street. It hissed, tried to strike us, curled it's tail up and shook it, and even had that flat triangular head; I was convinced it was a rattler.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^ Thank you for saving it's life!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just ran one over going down Johnson motorway in simi. Single track part around a corner so I could do nothing but lift my feet at the last second. It sat there coiled and rattling for a good 30 seconds till it slithered off into the bushes. Luckily the guys behind me were a good ways back so they didn't see it. But they both heard its rattle as they came down. Scary moment for sure.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Moral of the story (i have to keep reminding myself): Two years of post + a bunch of sightings= no one actually hit by a rattler. So, I will
    -keep them in mind
    -look ahead on the trail
    -not panic when I see one
    -try to warn others if possible.
    If for some freaky reason I do get hit
    -make the 911 call first and follow directions
    -if no phone reception move slow toward help or gaining reception to make the call and then follow directions. I'm not sure where to find the stats, but I'll bet the incidence of cyclists dying by snake bite is neglible.

mtbr member
    ^ probably about the same as getting attacked by a Mountain Lion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I had a little talk with a rattler today who was on the trail and in the way.

<iframe width="960" height="540" src="http://contour.com/stories/5-19-13-friendly-neighborhood-rattlesnake-mtt/embed?map=false&width=960px&height=540px" frameborder="0"></iframe>

b a n n e d
    Damn, that thing was huge!

(edit: Is that what she said?)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast