Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I've seen about 5 snakes in PQ canyon this year too. If you haven't noticed there's an absolutely INSANE amount of bunnies in that canyon which explains the excessive snakes. I see bunnies running across the trail almost the whole Freakin time. Even worse I saw a mountain lion on the far north west side of the canyon chasing after something in the bushes. Highly unusual for a mt lion to be out this far west, but one was found dead on the road out here earlier this year.

Beer Please!
    This afternoon my wife and I took the dog for a walk around Lake Calavera, and right in the middle of the trail near Skyhaven drive was a baby Rattler, about 1foot and a few inches long. I tried to skoot him off the trail but the only stick I could find near me was really short, and he just coiled up and started rattling when I went to move him, so we moved on. Later I saw people near where I spotted him yelling and such, hopefully no one got bit, I think they were prob just messing with the little guy.

Then on the other side of the lake we came across a baby Gardner snake about the same length, laying across the trail.

It was like 58f and the wind was blowing, plus it is nearly December, what the heck are snakes doing out right now?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Geritol Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    It was like 58f and the wind was blowing, plus it is nearly December, what the heck are snakes doing out right now?
    Last supper before bed time? Confused by the hot spell perhaps?

Trail Ninja
    Since it's my first year down here, I was sort of wondering when rattlesnake season ended. I also figured they'd go away once it got cold, but then remembered I saw them up in Big Bear when it was relatively cool up there. Not too long ago, just after day light savings, I was riding at night by moonlight and ran over something that sort of snapped and brushed off my shoe with a clunk and gave off about one second of the tell tale "water sprinkler" rattle sound, but it didn't rattle as I rode off. I was hoping it was just a wayward weed in the middle of the trail, rather than me running over a rattler and it making an attempt at my ankle/calf/shin. I didn't go back to check.

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    This afternoon my wife and I took the dog for a walk around Lake Calavera, and right in the middle of the trail near Skyhaven drive was a baby Rattler, about 1foot and a few inches long. I tried to skoot him off the trail but the only stick I could find near me was really short, and he just coiled up and started rattling when I went to move him, so we moved on. Later I saw people near where I spotted him yelling and such, hopefully no one got bit, I think they were prob just messing with the little guy.

Then on the other side of the lake we came across a baby Gardner snake about the same length, laying across the trail.

Rattle snakes are out and about all year here in sunny SoCal.

Took me a while to figure that out after moving here from Montana.

They're just a little slower and less "active" in the winter it seems.

Beer Please!
    I was just shocked to see 2 snakes on such a cold and cloudy day.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

I'm your density
    I bunny-hopped a baby rattler a few weeks ago, on a cold day not long after rain. It was about the size of a #2 pencil. Good thing, because the air I got bunny-hopping was about the diameter of a sharpie.

RWC
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Back in the '80's we were on a group ride of around 15 riders. We started from Sorrento Valley and went under I-5 through the storm drain that led to the PQ mesa area. I was riding last in the long line through the pipe when I heard someone yell SNAKE and lots of commotion. The rider in front of me could see the snake and stopped. Everyone but us had either run over the snake or narrowly missed it. We followed the dazed rattler out of the pipe where he slithered up the embankment and into the bushes. I bet he was wondering what happened!

mtbr member

Chula Vista CA, Otay Lakes

Around the upper lake today, coming off Proctor Valley rd, after the short climb up to the trail that leads around the upper lake to the lower lake. He wasn't there when I went down but about five minutes later on my way up right at the top BAM there he was.

Found a branch gave him a gently nudge, he gave me a little rattle and off he went into the bushes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn04.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn033.jpg  

CEB
    No horse'n round
    THAT IS A BIG SNAKE BRO!!!!! Jan 29th...... wow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post

Saw a big as one at Lake Hodges sunning himself. He took up the whole width of the trail, and would not move.

Had to turn around a go a different way. Must be the warm Santa Ana conditions we have had lately.

official eMpTyBRain
    It's been several years now, but I recall a January where the temps hit the 80s & 90s in Los Angeles for a few weeks and the buzzers came out. The poor things must have been all confused. The following week, the temps dropped sharply, the rains started, and Winter began. I assume that the sudden weather swing led to alot of snake deaths.

mtbr member
    Looks bigger in the pics was only about 2 half feet.

mtbr member
    I saw this one at the top of sycamore today....stretched out almost the entire length of the trail. Probably 3 feet or so, maybe a little longer. I rode past it and it didn't even budge.

Photobucket
    Last edited by ihaveagibsonsg; 02-02-2012 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If you don't like snakes, then I do not recommend that you ride Andersen Truck Trail in Alpine. The biggest rattlesnake I've ever seen was laying across the trail. Absolutely huge snake (I'd guess close to 7 feet).

I wish I had a picture of it...

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    If you don't like snakes, then I do not recommend that you ride Andersen Truck Trail in Alpine. The biggest rattlesnake I've ever seen was laying across the trail. Absolutely huge snake (I'd guess close to 7 feet).

I wish I had a picture of it...
    Yeah concidering there's not a rattlesnake species in California that grows to 7'. Are you sure you weren't in the Florida Everglades and spotted a Python.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member

Oak Leaf Rattler

I've hit oak leaf rattlers several times riding at Boggs. Mostly when there are fallen oak leafs to get stuck in my fork.

That noise just gets my attention, rattler or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Yeah concidering there's not a rattlesnake species in California that grows to 7'. Are you sure you weren't in the Florida Everglades and spotted a Python.
    I grew up in east county so I've seen my fair share of snakes and that one in Alpine was not a typical rattle snake. I don't think it was quite 7 feet, but it was definitely bigger than the average.

I've also seen desert tortoise, horned lizards, deer and bobcats out there. But no mountain lions. I know they are out there, but I have yet to see one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I saw a bobcat a couple of weeks ago on the south side trail
    at PQ near the waterfall. I use to see bobcats all the time in the
    old days, but not much these days. In my 50+ years of being
    outdoors I have yet to see a mountain lion in the wild. I would
    love to see one though.

Best, John

Geritol Power
    A mountain lion chased a big buck across the trail right in front of us coming down Noble one morning. It was huge. Night rides have never been the same for me since.

official eMpTyBRain
    The reptiles are coming out of hiding, boys!

A friend texted a picture of a rattler on a trail in Griffith Park. I saw two Alligator Lizards on my afternoon ride in Sully today.

b a n n e d
    I'm going to start packin' Xanax on my rides thanks to this thread . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Haven't seen one yet this "season," but the rabbits were out in force at Cheseboro last weekend, so the rattlers can't be far behind.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    Haven't seen one yet this "season," but the rabbits were out in force at Cheseboro last weekend, so the rattlers can't be far behind.
    Careful of those rabbits man . . . some of em' have FANGS!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    That place has more rabbits per capita than anywhere else on Earth!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast