Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels View Post
    We saw one this evening near sunset. Very slow moving and not aggressive.
    What was the temperature?

I <3 Dirt
    I'm guessing low 70's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ran over this. Going downhill around a corner and there it was coming up. The fat portion of the body is where I think I ran over it.
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-pdfzdqf.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Nah, you didn't flatten it out. It looks like it's got a full belly. It's been warm and they're waking up earlier than normal from their dens.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by unaware View Post
    Ran over this. Going downhill around a corner and there it was coming up. The fat portion of the body is where I think I ran over it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdfZdqf.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	962147
    Wow, that thing had just eaten and sadly, it looks very dead.

mtbr member
    Did u save the skin? I would use it.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Did u save the skin? I would use it.
    I knew this would eventually be coming from you.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Conejo Canyon/Western Plateua in TO

I had asked in another thread how to connect from Wildwood park to the Western plateau. I was successful in reaching those trails but was welcomed by this guy. First rattler I've seen biking. Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattler.jpg

mtbr member
    I saw two snakes today. I hit the fire road off of Tapo Canyon Road. I saw a racer at the tight left right, where it starts to get steep. About four feet long, pencil thin with a yellow stripe down the side. Then, down the other side I saw a four foot rattler stretched across the road, so I slammed on the brakes. He didn't want to move, so I walked up to him, about four feet alway. He coiled up, rattled a little and decided to slither off in the other direction. For those of you familiar with the trail, he was headed right for the oil puddle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I saw two snakes today. I hit the fire road off of Tapo Canyon Road. I saw a racer at the tight left right, where it starts to get steep. About four feet long, pencil thin with a yellow stripe down the side. Then, down the other side I saw a four foot rattler stretched across the road, so I slammed on the brakes. He didn't want to move, so I walked up to him, about four feet alway. He coiled up, rattled a little and decided to slither off in the other direction. For those of you familiar with the trail, he was headed right for the oil puddle.
    I'm gonna ride that trail in an hour with some friends. Is the tight left right at the base of the hill where that oak tree fell?

I've encountered a couple recently if you take the left side trail down. Thankfully none on Chivo as that could pose a bigger problem.

Its only 1" on the map!
    I have seen 10 rattlers so far this year. My highest number seen in a year up until know has been four. I have seen four rattlers in the last two days. I have ran over my first one this year as well. Scared the crap out of me.

mtbr member
    Riding sycamore canyon yesterday I came across two right in the middle of the trail.

I slowed down both times and went wide around, both didn't move a inch. would rather not run them over..

They both were around 3-3 1/2 ft give or take a little, my hair always stands up when I see those darn things.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-20150311_162947.jpg

This is the one I ran over. Considering how full of piss and vinegar he was, I think he was going to be okay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unaware View Post
    I'm gonna ride that trail in an hour with some friends. Is the tight left right at the base of the hill where that oak tree fell?

I've encountered a couple recently if you take the left side trail down. Thankfully none on Chivo as that could pose a bigger problem.
    I haven't been on this trail in a while. So, I don't know where the tree fell. I did take the first right down the hill. I didn't go to the very top and down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Black Mountain Park @ Start of Lusardi Loop.

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_20150318_122825%5B2%5D.jpg

I also saw one on Raptor Ridge and one near the adobe house by the Lake Hodges storage buildings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Is there a time of day when you are more likely to encounter one? Say from 2-5. But near or after sunset and it seems less common to run into one. Maybe by then they've already sat on the trail and warmed up so now they can slither off looking for a meal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KidConejo View Post
    Is there a time of day when you are more likely to encounter one? Say from 2-5. But near or after sunset and it seems less common to run into one. Maybe by then they've already sat on the trail and warmed up so now they can slither off looking for a meal?
    It depends what the weather is like. They're cold blooded. If it's really hot out they are active at just before sunset till just after sunrise. If it's not to hot like yesterday, they'll be out. If it's to cold they'll be hibernating.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeTom View Post
    Riding sycamore canyon yesterday I came across two right in the middle of the trail.

I slowed down both times and went wide around, both didn't move a inch. would rather not run them over..

They both were around 3-3 1/2 ft give or take a little, my hair always stands up when I see those darn things.
    Came across on one while riding Ding-Dong on Wednesday evening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This guy stopped me in my tracks this morning at Santiago Oaks. I was going to pass him but he coiled up and went into attack position. I waited as he calmed down a bit. He finally decided I wasn't worth the time and ended up crossing to the other side.

Been seeing lots of snakes recently. This was one of the bigger ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Came across on one while riding Ding-Dong on Wednesday evening.
    Haha, Ding-Dong!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Haha, Ding-Dong!
    Guess what it's called when you go the opposite direction?

I ran across two rattlers this morning in Sycamore.

One on the blind left corner into the rock section after the G-out towards the beginning of Smokey and one on the new-ish single track segment of Rattle Snake.

mtbr member
    Guess what it's called when you go the opposite direction?
    Umm, Gnod Gnid?

most memberable
    May 2011
    Umm, Gnod Gnid?
    !renniW

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by KidConejo View Post
    Generally, rattlesnakes emerge from hibernation in March or April, or when the average daytime temperatures reach and remain about 60F and higher. The snakes are then most active when the temperatures are between 80-90F. This means that the snakes may be active most of the day during the spring, and during the early mornings and late afternoons throughout the summer. Exposure to temperatures above 110F for more than a few minutes is enough to kill a rattlesnake; therefore, during the hottest part of summer, snakes are seldom observed, except occasionally at night. Snake activity picks up again as temperatures begin to fall in late summer and early autumn before they go into hibernation as early as September or as late as December.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Glad to Be Alive
    I forgot to post a follow up.

How long do you think it was?
    did you glue it or stitch it....how did you cure skin
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Screenshot of a GoPro vid I took at Rocky Peak yesterday. Not sure what he is, but I've never made a harder left right after this capture.

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-screen-shot-2015-03-24-8.32.41-am.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Screenshot of a GoPro vid I took at Rocky Peak yesterday. Not sure what he is, but I've never made a harder left right after this capture.

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 8.32.41 AM.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	975437

Wow! That thing is big. Must be an old snake. He's been around a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Wow! That thing is big. Must be an old snake. He's been around a while.
    I heard he was complaining about kids on his lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    did you glue it or stitch it....how did you cure skin
    I used a product called Snake Tan. It's glued to the leather and still holding up great.

Quote Originally Posted by PandaPancake View Post
    I heard he was complaining about kids on his lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL
    That is all.
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Twice in PQ Canyon. Once on the south side fireroad years ago--didn't see him until I rolled over and passed him. He was pissed and just went off into the brush rattling like crazy. Second time was in that sandy section between Wagon Wheel and Little Waimea (I think that's what it's called). That time I saw him at the last second, locked the front wheel, did a front-wheel stand, and went over the bars in (what felt like) slow motion. He was rattling but left fairly quickly into the bushes, probably laughing his a$$ off.

Quote Originally Posted by GOOOO View Post
    Twice in PQ Canyon. Once on the south side fireroad years ago--didn't see him until I rolled over and passed him. He was pissed and just went off into the brush rattling like crazy. Second time was in that sandy section between Wagon Wheel and Little Waimea (I think that's what it's called). That time I saw him at the last second, locked the front wheel, did a front-wheel stand, and went over the bars in (what felt like) slow motion. He was rattling but left fairly quickly into the bushes, probably laughing his a$$ off.
    Which ponders the question: Does a snake really have an ass? And if so does it look fat against the vegetation?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Which ponders the question: Does a snake really have an ass? And if so does it look fat against the vegetation?

You wanna shave his ass and make him slither backwards?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Umm, Gnod Gnid?
    Close....

Dong-Ding

mtbr member
    Close....

Dong-Ding
    Long Dong-Ding? Or just Dong-Ding?

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Does anyone carry equipment with them to catch n kill these guys to take home and eat?

If so, What do you use?

I am not condoning the killing of Rattle Snakes for anything other than eating, I personally let them be if at all possible, let them eat the mice n rats out there.

But I have heard they are good eating.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Does anyone carry equipment with them to catch n kill these guys to take home and eat?

If so, What do you use?

I am not condoning the killing of Rattle Snakes for anything other than eating, I personally let them be if at all possible, let them eat the mice n rats out there.

We used to hunt and eat them when I was a kid back in the 70s.

We just turned over old lumber, barn sides, logs, rocks, etc., to look for them, then killed them with a knife (by hand)...very dangerous and tastes like chicken.

mtbr member
    Bring this guy with you. These dudes from Ocean Beach don't need any fancy equipment. (sorry for the commercial in the link)

AOL.com Video - Rattlesnake Bite at Dog Beach: 'He Actually Pulled the Snake's Head Off'

I still can't believe there was a rattlesnake at dog beach. must have come down the San Diego River to get there.

If so, What do you use?

mtbr member

If so, What do you use?

On the ranch I use a flat shovel. I always carry one in whatever vehicle I am driving. You can use it to hook it and get it in a safe place, like in the middle of a fire road or trail and away from any place you could get cornered. Then you can use it to cut the head off and then use the shovel to bury the head. I can't think of anything that would be safe to kill a rattlesnake that you could carry on your bike. And, I would never kill one on a public trail.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Long Dong-Ding? Or just Dong-Ding?
    The latter

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I believe in california possession limits of a rattle snake requires a license from fish and game.

Quote Originally Posted by baja07 View Post
    I believe in california possession limits of a rattle snake requires a license from fish and game.
    From what I have read Fish n Game only cares about Birds, Mammals and Fish. Nothing at all on the site about hunting Snakes (Reptiles):

2015 New and Proposed Regulations - California Fish and Game Commission

This article on snakes just says one thing:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/News/Snake

Do not handle a freshly killed snake, it can still inject venom.

They taste like chicken so just go to the store and buy some chicken and leave the snakes alone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Can you imagine, seeing a mountain biker flying down the trail with a headless and bloody snake around his neck? With blood dripping everywhere! That'd scare the piss out of some Barbie trail runner! Lol!

Can you imagine, seeing a mountain biker flying down the trail with a headless and bloody snake around his neck? With blood dripping everywhere! That'd scare the piss out of some Barbie trail runner! Lol!
    Some of these guys are fantasizing of living in the Wild Wild West times.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    From what I have read Fish n Game only cares about Birds, Mammals and Fish. Nothing at all on the site about hunting Snakes (Reptiles):

2015 New and Proposed Regulations - California Fish and Game Commission

This article on snakes just says one thing:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/News/Snake
    It is fact and has always been the law. To legally hunt and posses any reptile within it's legal game limit, anyone over the age of 16 in California must have a current fishing license in their possession.

mtbr member
    How about swinging it around his head with blood flying everywhere, yelling yeehaw!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    How about swinging it around his head with blood flying everywhere, yelling yeehaw!
    You sick b@st@rd, I can actually picture you doing that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    You sick b@st@rd, I can actually picture you doing that!
    I'm gonna do it, just for you!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I'm gonna do it, just for you!
    Pics/video or GTFO!

mtbr member
    Pics/video or GTFO!
    I'll have my video crew follow me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baja07 View Post
    Rattlesnakes Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Binned
    Nov 2008
    You do realize that posting this is like saying that it's OK to kill rattlesnakes and that everyone should kill all rattlesnakes in order to be good human beings? It's NOT okay. rattlesnakes are our friends. We do not kill our friends.

mtbr member
    You do realize that posting this is like saying that it's OK to kill rattlesnakes and that everyone should kill all rattlesnakes in order to be good human beings? It's NOT okay. rattlesnakes are our friends. We do not kill our friends.
    That's your opinion. My opinion is that's its ok to kill them when they invade my private property and I eat them and use the hide. In fact it's ok to kill them if you use them for food. Nothing different than going down to a burger place and having a meal. To go further, if humans didn't kill and eat animals, we'd have been extinct a long time ago.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    That's your opinion. My opinion is that's its ok to kill them when they invade my private property and I eat them and use the hide. In fact it's ok to kill them if you use them for food. Nothing different than going down to a burger place and having a meal. To go further, if humans didn't kill and eat animals, we'd have been extinct a long time ago.
    On your property I agree with you. But not everywhere, every time one is encountered.

mtbr member
    You do realize that posting this is like saying that it's OK to kill rattlesnakes and that everyone should kill all rattlesnakes in order to be good human beings?
    Oh, and please tell me where it says this above?

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Oh, and please tell me where it says this above?
    By not needing a license or permit to do so. Same as murder. If a license or permit was needed, less of it would be committed.

Training for the Darwin's
    Ours are the smallish Western Massasauga. I've jumped one on a road bike, but never ridden over one. I see garter and bull snakes pretty frequently (on gravel trails/roads and occasionally on pavement. Since we encourage bull snakes in our yard/acreage (keep the rattlers away), I'm pretty careful not to kill any snake if I can avoid it, because they're hard to identify in a hurry and our rattlers aren't super-venomous. The last snake I dispatched was actually a Fish Snake which I mistook for a cottonmouth (again, fast and incorrect ID). Now that I know what they look like and have a better grasp of the local threats (minimal), I'll probably be more careful. Don't mind killing things that taste good or represent threats, but I figure everything else belongs where it is (with the exceptions of ticks and mosquitos, they all need to go).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    On your property I agree with you. But not everywhere, every time one is encountered.
    If you read back, you'll see that I said that I wouldn't kill one on public property. But, there would be nothing wrong with doing that if it's used for food.

By not needing a license or permit to do so. Same as murder. If a license or permit was needed, less of it would be committed.
    So, when you go down and buy a hamberger, do you get a permit or license? How many many hambergers have you eaten in your life? You know, cows had to die for that. I estimate that I've eaten 2500 pounds worth of hamberger in my life. I'm responsible for the murder of a lot of cows. How many have you murdered? It's no different than killing a snake for its meat.

You know, evertime you argue with me about this subject, I'm going rattlesnake hunting. Which means you'll be a rattlesnake murderer. I'm going tomorrow. PM me your email addy and I'll send you the pictures.

Don't make me repeat myself: They taste like chicken so just go to the store and buy some chicken and leave the snakes alone.

mtbr member
    Don't make me repeat myself: They taste like chicken so just go to the store and buy some chicken and leave the snakes alone.
    Listen Bra (Bra: my contribution to the Urban Dictionary - Urban Dictionary: bra) they don't taste like chicken. They taste like rattlesnake.

You know, I could edit that and use your name as an example. That DJ is the biggest Bra on MTBR. Haha!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    If you read back, you'll see that I said that I wouldn't kill one on public property. But, there would be nothing wrong with doing that if it's used for food.

So, when you go down and buy a hamberger, do you get a permit or license? How many many hambergers have you eaten in your life? You know, cows had to die for that. I estimate that I've eaten 2500 pounds worth of hamberger in my life. I'm responsible for the murder of a lot of cows. How many have you murdered? It's no different than killing a snake for its meat.

You know, evertime you argue with me about this subject, I'm going rattlesnake hunting. Which means you'll be a rattlesnake murderer. I'm going tomorrow. PM me your email addy and I'll send you the pictures.
    I am referring to the idiots who now believe more than ever that it's OK to just kill rattlesnakes and leave them for dead since they now know that they don't need a license or a permit to do so.

And grosssss! You eat beef?! It's against my religion.

Did you know that the average adult male has up to several pounds of undigested red meat trapped in their colon?

mtbr member
    I am referring to the idiots who now believe more than ever that it's OK to just kill rattlesnakes and leave them for dead since they now know that they don't need a license or a permit to do so.

And grosssss! You eat beef?! It's against my religion.

Did you know that the average adult male has up to several pounds of undigested red meat trapped in their colon?
    Bra, are you serious? No one is going to read that and go out on a rattlesnake killing spree.

Are you kiddng? I shoot the cow between the eyes and have a butcher come out, dress it, cure it and package it for me. Best stuff ever! Grass fed organic. Sorry Bessie, but I gotta eat!

My pooper is as clean as can be. I make a Magic Bullet everyday for lunch. It keeps the pooper nice and clean!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Bra, are you serious? No one is going to read that and go out on a rattlesnake killing spree.

Are you kiddng? I shoot the cow between the eyes and have a butcher come out, dress it, cure it and package it for me. Best stuff ever! Grass fed organic. Sorry Bessie, but I gotta eat!

My pooper is as clean as can be. I make a Magic Bullet everyday for lunch. It keeps the pooper nice and clean!
    Nope, I'm not serious but it's been fun screwing with you for the past several posts. Thanks for the entertainment.

mtbr member
    Nope, I'm not serious but it's been fun screwing with you for the past several posts. Thanks for the entertainment.
    Yeah, I know, you're always screwing with me. One of these days Bra, I'm tellin' Ya! Haha!

It is fact and has always been the law. To legally hunt and posses any reptile within it's legal game limit, anyone over the age of 16 in California must have a current fishing license in their possession.
    Can you show me where in print that is stated? I was not able to find it on fish n games website. I am genuinely curious about this.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Can you show me where in print that is stated? I was not able to find it on fish n games website. I am genuinely curious about this.
    Let me look it up...

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Open this page and scroll down to "Native reptiles captive propagation laws and regulations". You'll have to download it to open it.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Search-R...spx?q=reptiles

And here is the page stating the requirement for a having a fishing license in order to collect or possess reptiles or amphibians in California.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/fishing

mtbr member
    To go further, if humans didn't kill and eat animals, we'd have been extinct a long time ago.
    I'm not sure the vegetarians and vegans of the world have gotten the message yet. Maybe we shouldn't tell them.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Open this page and scroll down to "Native reptiles captive propagation laws and regulations". You'll have to download it to open it.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Search-R...spx?q=reptiles

And here is the page stating the requirement for a having a fishing license in order to collect or possess reptiles or amphibians in California.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/licensing/fishing
    Hawgster, rattlesnakes are in a different class, because they are poisonous. People must be allowed to keep themselves and their property safe from poisonous snakes. Therefore, it is legal to kill or relocate them. And, just for you, I'm going out to keep my property safe.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...47686&inline=1

Don't make me repeat myself AGAIN: They taste like chicken so just go to the store and buy some chicken and leave the snakes alone.

And Shawn they do taste like chicken I've had them. Go down to Von's and get ya some chicken.

WTF is this the Wild West? You can't live without eating rattlesnake?

mtbr member
    Don't make me repeat myself AGAIN: They taste like chicken so just go to the store and buy some chicken and leave the snakes alone.

And Shawn they do taste like chicken I've had them. Go down to Von's and get ya some chicken.

WTF is this the Wild West? You can't live without eating rattlesnake?
    Sorry, I've had dozens of them. To me they are definitely different than chicken, in taste and texture.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Hawgster, rattlesnakes are in a different class, because they are poisonous. People must be allowed to keep themselves and their property safe from poisonous snakes. Therefore, it is legal to kill or relocate them. And, just for you, I'm going out to keep my property safe.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...47686&inline=1
    Yes, I know. I just wanted to let everyone else know that a fishing license is required by law for all other reptiles/amphibians. Might as well try to save the rest of them since everyone in the world knows now that it's OK to kill all rattlesnakes any time they encounter one. At least partly because of your insistence that it's OK to kill them, they will one day be on the Threatened species list and then FINALLY, they will be federally protected.

mtbr member
    Yes, I know. I just wanted to let everyone else know that a fishing license is required by law for all other reptiles/amphibians. Might as well try to save the rest of them since everyone in the world knows now that it's OK to kill all rattlesnakes any time they encounter one. At least partly because of your insistence that it's OK to kill them, they will one day be on the Threatened species list and then FINALLY, they will be federally protected.
    I'm flattered that you think I have that much power on humanity and Mother Nature. But really, contrary to your beliefs, I'm not a mover and a shaker. I'm just a regular guy, and I doubt highly that my comments will have an effect on the rattlesnake population in California.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I'm flattered that you think I have that much power on humanity and Mother Nature. But really, contrary to your beliefs, I'm not a mover and a shaker. I'm just a regular guy, and I doubt highly that my comments will have an effect on the rattlesnake population in California.
    I'm still just messing with you sort of but it's clear that I have a genuine concern. A perfect world for me would be a rattlesnake encounter every single time I went to the great outdoors.

I'm on the fence still. Mainly because I feel safer up here with all the damn rattlesnakes down there.

mtbr member
    I'm on the fence still. Mainly because I feel safer up here with all the damn rattlesnakes down there.
    They are up there too.

No rattlesnakes today. Just a four foot gopher snake, which I walked right over, because I was talking to someone. He let me pick him up.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    They are up there too.

No rattlesnakes today. Just a four foot gopher snake, which I walked right over, because I was talking to someone. He let me pick him up.
    No gopher snake watch band projects on the books?

mtbr member
    No gopher snake watch band projects on the books?
    No, I don't have a license to take one.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    No, I don't have a license to take one.
    Otherwise you would, huh?!

mtbr member
    Otherwise you would, huh?!
    That's what a license is for.

tasteslikechicken

mtbr member
    Tasteslikegameysnake

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    well for a combination of reasons, mostly denial, I wasn't going to report running over a smaller green rattlesnake last week on north eastern high trail of lake hodges, but I fess up t it now after this morning at about 10 me and a buddy, just east of lake hodges look out point and not far from last week's rattler event, I tried and failed to bunny hop a good sized (3.5 ft / 1.75 inch diameter) brownish rattler with black and white striped tail. he was cruising across a flat adn sandy ~7 ft wide section of the trail just below a little-rocky downhill. we were coming down fast but slower than usual honestly and I saw him about 15 feet up and like last week froze up and ended up going right over him. I tried to jump but when I looked back he was curled up and then my buddy f*ing did about the same thing as I did...only he got him I imagine worse. Snake shortly collected himself and slithered into some adjacent bushes. We are both on 29ers fsrs.

does running over a med size rattler kill them usual?

Quote Originally Posted by kevbeer View Post
    well for a combination of reasons, mostly denial, I wasn't going to report running over a smaller green rattlesnake last week on north eastern high trail of lake hodges, but I fess up t it now after this morning at about 10 me and a buddy, just east of lake hodges look out point and not far from last week's rattler event, I tried and failed to bunny hop a good sized (3.5 ft / 1.75 inch diameter) brownish rattler with black and white striped tail. he was cruising across a flat adn sandy ~7 ft wide section of the trail just below a little-rocky downhill. we were coming down fast but slower than usual honestly and I saw him about 15 feet up and like last week froze up and ended up going right over him. I tried to jump but when I looked back he was curled up and then my buddy f*ing did about the same thing as I did...only he got him I imagine worse. Snake shortly collected himself and slithered into some adjacent bushes. We are both on 29ers fsrs.

does running over a med size rattler kill them usual?
    It can damage them but they usually make it out alive. Most people do as you did and lock up the brakes. It's usually pretty easy to just ride around them at a good rate of speed. Creeping by may get you bit.

And by the way I lived just 2 miles from Lake Hodges for a number of years. My old local ride haunt. That trail system is loaded with rattlers. More so than I've ever seen in any other trail system.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

And by the way I lived just 2 miles from Lake Hodges for a number of years. My old local ride haunt. That trail system is loaded with rattlers. More so than I've ever seen in any other trail system.
    sheet...that isn't what I wanted to hear!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    what do you mean by "local ride haunt"?

No sportfishing license is
    required for the sport take of any rattlesnake, but bag and
    possession limits apply. No reptiles shall be taken from
    ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section
    630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments.
    I think the key here is unless killing a snake is the only way to allow you to escape a situation without getting bit, literally backed into a corner while in an Ecological Reserve, State Park, National Park or Monument, you leave the thing alone and move along.

BUT, if you are not in an Ecological Reserve, State Park, National Park or Monument you are well within your rights to kill a Rattle Snake without a license, limit 2.

I am not advocating either way, when on my rides I do my best to avoid them and let nature be, but I am curious to try eating one someday.

mtbr member
    So, what if the third rattlesnake backs me in a corner? And, is that limit 2 per day or per year?

And, is that limit 2 per day or per year?
    I am guessing like most limits it would be 2 per day...

sheet...that isn't what I wanted to hear!
    It's no big deal just be aware at all times of your surroundings.

what do you mean by "local ride haunt"?
    My closest trail system to my residence at the time. So my most frequented riding spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not a rattler, but still a cool looking little guy.

He was seen on Black Mtn on Sunday.

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-8trdjeblnm5tw-1krbxcbmgw6j_miikcuyguvpkm9q8-768x432.jpg

mtbr member
    My closest trail system to my residence at the time. So my most frequented riding spot.
    Haha, AKA The Playground.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That's a great sighting! I saw one on my last ride, too - pretty rare these days, and they are just so cool!

Of course, I saw a rattler on that ride, too. First one of the season for me, not surprising with how warm it has been lately.

Not a rattler, but still a cool looking little guy.

He was seen on Black Mtn on Sunday.

Name:	8trdJeBlNM5Tw-1kRBxcBMgw6J_MIIkcUYguvpkM9q8-768x432.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	977471
    Very cool! I've seen them out at Lake Hodges as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Almost ran over one today. A young Southern Pacific.

Not a Rattler, but close.

Gopher on the trail yesterday.

https://youtu.be/0TKL5hBkSYY

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Not a Rattler, but close.

Gopher on the trail yesterday.

https://youtu.be/0TKL5hBkSYY
    Your friend is clearly afraid of snakes.

Your friend is clearly afraid of snakes.
    Granted on his last ride out there he came up on two very large rattlers while leading the group, so he was being extra cautious I guess.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Granted on his last ride out there he came up on two very large rattlers while leading the group, so he was being extra cautious I guess.
    He basically bailed off his bike, backed away like it was the plague, and tossed a rock at it in an attempt to move it. Yes, EXTRA cautious.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 189