Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I've been holding out on my opinion on this closed area thing near San Diego for a while now but I think it's time that I let it all out. If an area is deemed a preserve, stay out of there plain and simple. Even if it's only for a rare species of dog flea that is known to breed there, and even if that breed is known for delivering diseases to all it bites. If research data shows that the area is sensitive, then stay out.

And if you are thinking that your entertainment is more important than whatever the law is protecting, it's not. Just stay out and urge all of your friends to stay out, too. If we don't protect our planet, it will die off completely.

The officers are not picking on us mountain bikers, they are trying to preserve nature. Doesn't that matter to you? It really should.

Case in point. I've been a fisherman for far longer than I've been a mountain biker. The state continues to add closed area preserves along the coast, effectively stopping access to areas that were fabulous for fishing. Generally speaking, fisherman respect the rules afterward by not fishing there. We may or may not like it but we realize the importance of preserving nature so that future generations can enjoy it, too.

Live for the future, not just for today...

The Devil is in the details down here, Hawg. It's not a black/white situation. Far from it.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    The Devil is in the details down here, Hawg. It's not a black/white situation. Far from it.
    Understood. It's a mixed up, backwards world we humans have created. We are all at fault equally for that.

mtbr member
    No, the Govt would have nothing to do with the project. I am electing YOU to create and mount all of the signs needed for the areas of concern. Now, snap to it!
    Oh man, you said, " the state". Am I going to get paid the $100/hr that I make or is this volunteer work!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Oh man, you said, " the state". Am I going to get paid the $100/hr that I make or is this volunteer work!
    The Govt owns the state's ass. Yull get paid with the freedom your Govt allows you and by enjoying the great outdoors and fresh air. It'll be good for your soul.

mtbr member
    The Govt owns the state's ass. Yull get paid with the freedom your Govt allows you and by enjoying the great outdoors and fresh air. It'll be good for your soul.
    Oh no. Our government is for the people, by the people. We the people allow ourselves and the government the freedoms we enjoy. 65% of everything I make goes to the government. I don't own them anymore!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Oh no. Our government is for the people, by the people. We the people allow ourselves and the government the freedoms we enjoy. 65% of everything I make goes to the government. I don't own them anymore!
    "God" is always looking over your shoulder...

mtbr member
    There is no god! 666 all the way!!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Understood. It's a mixed up, backwards world we humans have created. We are all at fault equally for that.
    I'm sure you don't think we humans have 'created' the world, but that we have had a big influence on it. I'd say the evidence does agree on that. However, I don't think we are equally at fault. Unless you are moving into theological territory there. Anything goes, in that case, I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    I'm sure you don't think we humans have 'created' the world, but that we have had a big influence on it. I'd say the evidence does agree on that. However, I don't think we are equally at fault. Unless you are moving into theological territory there. Anything goes, in that case, I guess.
    I don't think he meant the physical world. He meant the human world. But no, of course we are not equally at fault.

Now, did anyone run over a rattler today?

banned
    Jan 2013
    Now, did anyone run over a rattler today?
    Not today, but last week i did. I didnt even notice, guy i was riding with said it responded by calmly moving off trail with nary a rattle. I have seen him do the same with the same result.

We see rattlers in San Diego all the time, very rare to find a pissed off or aggressive one. I think in two seasons now we have only come across one that coiled up mid trail and didnt want to get out of the way.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    Not today, but last week i did. I didnt even notice, guy i was riding with said it responded by calmly moving off trail with nary a rattle. I have seen him do the same with the same result.

We see rattlers in San Diego all the time, very rare to find a pissed off or aggressive one. I think in two seasons now we have only come across one that coiled up mid trail and didnt want to get out of the way.
    Didn't your Mama tell you to always watch where you are riding when behind the bars???

banned
    Jan 2013
    My mama said alligators is ornery on account of their medulla oblongata.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    My mama said alligators is ornery on account of their medulla oblongata.
    BRG, I'm kinda disappointed in you for not being out there on the trail right now, looking for another rattler to run over....

banned
    Jan 2013
    Had to watch my Chargers choke first. NOW ill go get bit by a rattler.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Saw one earlier this week on the north side of Hodges. I was doing the short rocky climb right after the small creek and would have gone right by it if another rider with his wife ahead of me hadn't said the word rattlesnake. The area had patchy shade so I probably wouldn't have seen it. This got me pretty paranoid and is making me realize it might be better to ride with a buddy haha. This thread has brought the pansy out of me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SDsubasaurus View Post
    Saw one earlier this week on the north side of Hodges. I was doing the short rocky climb right after the small creek and would have gone right by it if another rider with his wife ahead of me hadn't said the word rattlesnake. The area had patchy shade so I probably wouldn't have seen it. This got me pretty paranoid and is making me realize it might be better to ride with a buddy haha. This thread has brought the pansy out of me.
    Im riding hodge tomorrow at 645 am and will keep this in mind while passing this area! I have suffered a pansyness myself lately too. In last two hodge rides ive heard one rattler each ride but havent seen them. First ride was wiith my buddy and we heard one in bushes off to the side pretty far from us just northwest of foot bridge and ond thr other ride i was alone and when quite southwest of bridge was riding and exiting a switchback heard a loud and low rattlefr9m what seemed to be 2 feet from me on my right (uphill). Pretty much exactly the situation I feared but hey im alive and riding hodge again tomorrow morn!

mtbr member

Otay Lakes, Chula Vista, CA

First one of the year, ran into this guy while climbing up the upper lake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn1177.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn1176.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn1179.jpg  

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d View Post
    First one of the year, ran into this guy while climbing up the upper lake.
    As big as he is for San Diego county I bet he's a fugitive from Mexico. In fact I bet he was on his way back just a few yards away from where you were standing. Did you check to see if he had his green card.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

chasing simplicity

Who's run over a Rattler? now that its snake season

Couple days ago in Chesebro Park, midday...4 footer catching rays on trails until I harshed his mellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know what it's like to be dead. "To Die & Live In LA."

b a n n e d
    ^^^ Wow, I never saw snakes at Cheseboro.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Couple days ago in Chesebro Park, midday...4 footer catching rays on trails until I harshed his mellow.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's a big grand daddy of a rattler.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    ^^^ Wow, I never saw snakes at Cheseboro.
    You're in So. Cal. they could be anywhere, it is a desert after all. 007 You're not going outside anymore are ya.
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ran into these guys at Sycamore a few weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Very cool sight consider yourself lucky to have witnessed it. Two rattlesnakes making future rattlesnakes. You could have went right up close to them and they wouldn't have even known you were there. They get in to somewhat of a trance when they're in that situation.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Very cool sight consider yourself lucky to have witnessed it. Two rattlesnakes making future rattlesnakes. You could have went right up close to them and they wouldn't have even known you were there. They get in to somewhat of a trance when they're in that situation.
    That's 2 males vying for breeding rights, there's a sweetheart somewhere nearby that left a scent trail for the winner to follow so he can bed her.

banned
    Sep 2010

This is actually how a lot of fires get started in SoCal.

After the act, rattlers like to have a smoke. No lie.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    That's 2 males vying for breeding rights, there's a sweetheart somewhere nearby that left a scent trail for the winner to follow so he can bed her.
    I just looked at it again, more closely, and your'e right. Neither one of them had boobies!

chasing simplicity

Was on backside not the main trail...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Ran into this guy at Sycamore this past Friday... he was not interested in moving and I wasn't getting any closer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-snake.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That's a big snake!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My iPhone does it no justice either. I turned around LOL.

mtbr member
    I missed this guy by "that much" - my buddy that was behind me is the one who saw it... close call as I went right by it - This was @ Carbon Cyn which also has plenty of coyotes to go around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-cam00041.jpg  

2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyonadyke View Post
    I stand corrected which is unusual in my world.

mtbr member
    I had my first rattlesnake encounter a couple of weeks ago going down E-ticket at MTRP. I came around a corner and it was laying across the trail. I had about one second to try and bunny hop it.

I always thought my first encounter with a snake would involve me going OTB, but I had no time to grab the brakes. Up and over. It looked angry as I sped away.

Jeff

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I stand corrected which is unusual in my world.
    Everything is unusual in your world!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    im getting the creeps reading some of these stories..... i f***ing hate snakes (and spiders) lol. yep, im a pansy......

closest i got so far this season was maybe a couple of feet away. i didnt even see it, single track in OC. heard it in the bushes as i went by. sounded very close, and below me. so not off on a hill or anything. scared me so bad i actually started peddling 5x as fast and bombed a hill i normally would have cruised down.

maybe i should enter a world championship DH event, have a buddy place a rattler at the starting gate. i think id be able to get a faster time that way. lol.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkimSTi View Post
    im getting the creeps reading some of these stories..... i f***ing hate snakes (and spiders) lol. yep, im a pansy......

closest i got so far this season was maybe a couple of feet away. i didnt even see it, single track in OC. heard it in the bushes as i went by. sounded very close, and below me. so not off on a hill or anything. scared me so bad i actually started peddling 5x as fast and bombed a hill i normally would have cruised down.

maybe i should enter a world championship DH event, have a buddy place a rattler at the starting gate. i think id be able to get a faster time that way. lol.
    Considering that you're from So Cal, come ride with me. If I capture one, I will help you get over your fear. Snake are people, too!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Considering that you're from So Cal, come ride with me. If I capture one, I will help you get over your fear. Snake are people, too!
    oh hell no!! haha. you're one of those guys that sees a tarantula and you have to hold it. huh?

no thanks... joking around/speaking in the crocodile hunters accent, yelling 'thats a diamond back rattler mate!' is the closest i get to snakes.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Not a rattler (DARN!) but I had a close encounter of the third kind today:

<iframe width='500' height='281' src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/359140/?colors=C80000' allowfullscreen frameborder='0'></iframe>

Everything is unusual in your world!
    That's going to leave a mark..

Binned
    Nov 2008
    That's going to leave a mark..
    You know i was just kidding.

SAVED R U
    Aug 2007
    I ran over a huge timber rattler a few years ago on Cannell trail, it was so big I thought it was a large branch and ran him over. Apparently he didn't like being ran over and nearly bit the rider behind me. We went back on tried to persuade him off the trail but he let us know he wasn't going anywhere
    It is........What it is

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AM_Rider View Post
    I ran over a huge timber rattler a few years ago on Cannell trail, it was so big I thought it was a large branch and ran him over. Apparently he didn't like being ran over and nearly bit the rider behind me. We went back on tried to persuade him off the trail but he let us know he wasn't going anywhere
    That was a Southern Pacific Rattler. Timber Rattlers are located East of the Rockies.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 65mph12 View Post
    I had my first rattlesnake encounter a couple of weeks ago going down E-ticket at MTRP. I came around a corner and it was laying across the trail. I had about one second to try and bunny hop it.

I always thought my first encounter with a snake would involve me going OTB, but I had no time to grab the brakes. Up and over. It looked angry as I sped away.
    E-ticket, especially the bottom portion before you come back up to the fire road, is like rattlesnake central. I've seen more on that trail than on any other in the park.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65mph12 View Post

I have come across quite a few on E-ticket. The very first section of it it with the berm switchbacks. There was absolutely nothing I could do, I just ran right over them. This happened twice within the span of a month. All throughout E-ticket I have had encounters.

Just be aware of the surroundings. If you can stop, stop. If they are flat and you can't stop, hop. If you can't hop, ride over them. If they are coiled, well....

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-20140330_164211_3.jpg

Ran into this big boy on the Tijeras Creek trail in RSM. He refused to move even after numerous sticks and rocks were thrown in his direction.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkoa63 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140330_164211_3.jpg 
Views:	984 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	886441

Ran into this big boy on the Tijeras Creek trail in RSM. He refused to move even after numerous sticks and rocks were thrown in his direction.
    Use long branches to gently nudge them along. Works every time.

mtbr member
    Not a rattler (DARN!) but I had a close encounter of the third kind today:

<iframe width='500' height='281' src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/embed/359140/?colors=C80000' allowfullscreen frameborder='0'></iframe>
    Where was that??? Black mtn?
    BS.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott View Post
    Where was that??? Black mtn?
    BS.
    Verdugo Mtn, on Verdugo Motorway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Use long branches to gently nudge them along. Works every time.
    Spit a mouthful of water from your camelback. That will get them to move too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_57 View Post
    Ran into this guy at Sycamore this past Friday... he was not interested in moving and I wasn't getting any closer.
    Holy fack that is big and it took me a minute to find t in the photograph man. If you were speeding downhill how the heck did you spot it!?

Quote Originally Posted by Rkoa63 View Post

Name:	20140330_164211_3.jpg 
Views:	984 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	886441

Is that a diamond back?

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    My friends have seen a few snakes in Calavera, but I have not so far.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DeftJester View Post
    Holy fack that is big and it took me a minute to find t in the photograph man. If you were speeding downhill how the heck did you spot it!?
    Luckily I was climbing so I was moving slow ($20 Hill) and I heard him before I was right on top of him. That is probably the biggest rattler that I have personally seen and having lived in Tucson, I have seen quite a few.
    2016 Pine Mountain 2 with a few mods.
    2015 Process 111 with a few mods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I've saw a ton of gopher snakes a couple of weeks ago, nothing since and I'm there 3 lunch days a week. Hawks and road runners have been real active of late though.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DeftJester View Post

Is that a diamond back?
    It's a Southern Pacific. Trust me, you DO NOT want to get bit by one of those. It's known to have both hemo-toxin AND neuro-tioxin!

I've handled several of them in the past.

Warrior's Society
    This was the not so friendly guy I ran across last week up at Blackstar:

Had a close call with a rattler on Sunday while descending Monroe Truck Trail....tight and overgrown trail, blind turn...about the thickness of a soda can....
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_57 View Post
    Which Sycamore? Has anyone encountered this at Sycamore Canyon in Malibu?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sycamore in Riverside. I ride after work there a couple days a week.
    2016 Pine Mountain 2 with a few mods.
    2015 Process 111 with a few mods.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I ride there 1-2 times a week on average for the past 3+ years and have ran across less than (5) snakes there, always rattlesnakes. Last one was about a month ago. I ride at Daley maybe once every couple months and have seen 3 or 4 there and I've ridden at Hodges since the 90's and have seen about 10 snakes there....rattlesnakes, kings and gophers. Biggest RS I ever saw was at Hodges.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ran into a few rattle snakes and an unidentified snake last week out at Southridge.

chasing simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by sehinla View Post
    Which Sycamore? Has anyone encountered this at Sycamore Canyon in Malibu?
    Hardly much wildlife there at all anymore since last year's mega fire.

Let's build one more
    Ran into a few rattle snakes and an unidentified snake last week out at Southridge.

I'm more scared of the gang bangers near that place than the snakes
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Gang bangers are just kids that didnt get enough love. Stop in your tracks, try to look like a Mommy and ask if they need a hug. I carry a Home depot gift card in my pack to make friends so they can buy spray paint. seems to work????

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Years ago I remember riding Santiago Oaks in the Anaheim Hills area. I was riding next to a buddy and BSing with him while coasting on a slight downhill stretch and saw something shoot between my tires. Turns out I ran over the tail of a 3+ foot rattler and he just missed my foot trying to bite w/e just squished him only to get ran over again by the rear tire.

He was the first of 3 I saw that day. Also the most pissed. I bet he didn't lay in the middle of the trail after that for awhile.

mtbr member
    Check it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_3294.jpg  

Glad to Be Alive
    that is a thick snake
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by odin View Post
    Check it out.
    Looks like it's eating roadkill?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We were stopped this weekend north of Mission Trails and a small California King slithered through our group and right past my foot. In my experience California Kings have no fear of people.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

mtbr member
    Looks like it's eating roadkill?!
    I think it was a rat,by the time I saw it the snake was almost dead,it seems like someone tried to kill it.it was still moving a bit with the rat or whatever he caught when I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    that is a thick snake
    And it's about to get thicker.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by odin View Post
    I think it was a rat,by the time I saw it the snake was almost dead,it seems like someone tried to kill it.it was still moving a bit with the rat or whatever he caught when I saw it.
    That snake was merely "doing it's job" in terms of the natural order of things. If somebody deliberately tried to kill it, they just did all of us a disservice. Pretty sure the snake would agree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like snakes better than rats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I like snakes better than rats.
    ++1

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Met a new friend at El Prieto today.

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattler1.jpg

Was about to power up a short climb after a creek crossing when I saw it. Front wheel got about 3 feet away. Didn't make a sound until it decided to slither off.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That's the stupidest comment.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
    Met a new friend at El Prieto today.

Name:	rattler1.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	899814

Was about to power up a short climb after a creek crossing when I saw it. Front wheel got about 3 feet away. Didn't make a sound until it decided to slither off.
    Crap, one of my favorite things about riding El Prieto was the lack of snakes. The only time I've ever seen a rattler around there was in the dam, and a baby one time coming back from the Brown Mtn Dam.

stillanoob
    Dec 2011
    I had one welcome me the other day.

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-10450849_10201838560158056_5710230840814607522_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Came around a somewhat loose corner and ran into these guys...

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-2014-06-17-18.15.19-large-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Haven't seen any around the Simi Valley area....yet. I've seen trails from snake(s) but that's it....that said, I expect to see one today now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is that a rabbit or a squirrel? That's a hell of a meal!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tubored View Post
    Is that a rabbit or a squirrel? That's a hell of a meal!
    A rabbit. I was kind of bummed, but life finds a way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calistyle View Post
    Haven't seen any around the Simi Valley area....yet. I've seen trails from snake(s) but that's it....that said, I expect to see one today now.
    I saw one. I also saw a yellow and brown California King snake today. I wasn't able to get a picture though. This one is from about two weeks ago. He made a nice little fried appetizer and he's going to make a watch strap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    After having never seen a snake on my bike (only hiking or driving), I ran into 2 big rattlers today at El Prieto. The first one was so big and stretched right across the trail that I thought it was a big tree root at first but realized what it was once I was 2 feet away. He looked at me and then slowly slithered off into the bushes.

Then after the end of El P proper, I ran into one at the creek crossing just before the ranger's houses. Literally ran into it, as I only saw it for a split second and then ran right over it. I heard some rattling behind me, then went to check on it but it disappeared.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nemnem View Post
    After having never seen a snake on my bike (only hiking or driving), I ran into 2 big rattlers today at El Prieto. The first one was so big and stretched right across the trail that I thought it was a big tree root at first but realized what it was once I was 2 feet away. He looked at me and then slowly slithered off into the bushes.

Then after the end of El P proper, I ran into one at the creek crossing just before the ranger's houses. Literally ran into it, as I only saw it for a split second and then ran right over it. I heard some rattling behind me, then went to check on it but it disappeared.
    Thanks for the report. What time of the day was it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just before 11am

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I saw one. I also saw a yellow and brown California King snake today. I wasn't able to get a picture though. This one is from about two weeks ago. He made a nice little fried appetizer and he's going to make a watch strap.
    I forgot to post a follow up.

How long do you think it was?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dude, that's awesome!!!
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

How long do you think it was?
    First one was pretty big - at least 4 ft long and pretty thick like it had just eaten.

mtbr member
    ^ That would make a good belt!

Disclaimer: Only if it's found in a heavily populated are, were it can't be safely relocated.

Disclaimer: The above comments are not necessarily the opinions of MTBR.com or it's author. But then again, you never really know.

mtbr member
    Came around a somewhat loose corner and ran into these guys...

Name:	2014-06-17 18.15.19 (Large).jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	902054
    where was this, that guy is huge

Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    where was this, that guy is huge
    No wonder he's HUGE he's been dining on rabbits.

Seriously though where was that he is HUGE.

So he gave ya the old stink eye huh. I know that snake.

mtbr member
    i've never ridden over a rattler but running XC in college up in OC running El Moro Trail rounding a corner being in a zone last second a baby rattler was sitting dead center of the trail. My foot was already in the air so instead of keeping my stride i quickly just held my forward foot up and leaned forward to clear the snake without stepping on it. It was pretty sketchy. But i've seen a lot of snakes but usually they are on the side or completely off the trail on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    i've never ridden over a rattler but running XC in college up in OC running El Moro Trail rounding a corner being in a zone last second a baby rattler was sitting dead center of the trail. My foot was already in the air so instead of keeping my stride i quickly just held my forward foot up and leaned forward to clear the snake without stepping on it. It was pretty sketchy. But i've seen a lot of snakes but usually they are on the side or completely off the trail on the move.
    On video that could have made it to infamous status.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Was heading down the fire road earlier making my way to towards the switchbacks I ride the other day, when I came across this little beauty... 13 rattles and counting... 1st one I've seen up close since the fires (Sycamore Canyon)...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rs1.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rs2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdemm View Post
    Was heading down the fire road earlier making my way to towards the switchbacks I ride the other day, when I came across this little beauty... 13 rattles and counting... 1st one I've seen up close since the fires (Sycamore Canyon)...

That's a nice one. I like the dark ones like that.

mtbr member

Snake Bite Yesterday on News

Does anyone know where that kid was that got bitten by a rattlesnake at Mission Trails, aka "Missing Trails"?

I'm curious if they were on a nice 20' wide Fire Road aka "Trail" or if they were messin around trailblazing?
    BS.

mtbr member
    The description is vague. The area reported as "near Clairemont Mesa Boulevand and Rueda Drive" is the entrance to the west side of the park at Clairemont Mesa Blvd.

Holy crap, I'm not even thinking about rattlesnakes this time of year. The only rattlesnake I've run (bunny hopped) across (over) was at the west side of MTRP going down e-ticket last summer.

Update: It happened on Shepard's trail.

Jeff

banned
    Yes, Shepherd Pond Loop trail was reported. Most of it is pretty wide, except down near the pond where the vegetation closes in a bit.

I was riding in Santee yesterday and ended my ride at noon. On the drive back on hwy 52 right next to that location, my car thermometer said it was 80 F. No wonder the snakes are confused.

Bottom of E-ticket -- if you stay left after the switchbacks and aim for the Fortuna saddle -- is notorious for rattlers.

Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I was riding in Santee yesterday and ended my ride at noon. On the drive back on hwy 52 right next to that location, my car thermometer said it was 80 F. No wonder the snakes are confused..
    If you think the snakes are confused just think how the mice feel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-image.jpg  

I <3 Dirt
    We saw one this evening near sunset. Very slow moving and not aggressive.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 210