Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rem69 View Post
    Baby rattler about a mile from the top of La Tuna 9 April. It will probably be too cold for them tomorrow.
    I've been climbing La Tuna alot lately but I've yet to see a snake there so far this year. Last year, that place was snakeland!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kim View Post
    There also is a venom collector who stalks rattlers mostly by the K-rail. I don't think he kills them but I would not be surprised if he had to once in a while to save his skin. He uses a metal rod with a fork-like snake holder to hold them down while he pumps venom from their fangs. What a weird way to make money.
    prolly saves lots of lives if you think about it. if im not mistaken the anti-venom is made using the actual venom. glad hes got the balls to do it cuz one day heaven forbid myself or someone else might need it. ive hiked calavera many times and never even considered the possibility of snakes. ive been wanted to go trail riding for a while and now im definitely having second thoughts ha ha.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    almost stood on a 4 foot rattler stepping off wil rogers polo field of all places last week

snake was right on edge of the polo field

friend shoved me off my feet and to the side of snake before i walked on it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Coming up on my 1 year anniversary of MTB'ing. Went almost every weekend since I started. But I've always been an ocean guy (surfing's my 1st sport, 20+ yrs). So I never really had to deal with mountain stuff because mountains=hiking=walking=F the mountains up until last year haha.

So let's say you're riding alone and you get bit.

What do?

-Do those bite kits even do anything?
    -[If phone works] Should you call and wait for help?
    -[If phone doesn't work - highly likely since I'm on damn ATT] Should you cruise down the hill asap or wait for another biker?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well, from watching movies, you should

1) suck the poison out and spit it out
    2) if the snake is still there take a picture of it for ID later
    3) ride down the mountain at mach 1
    4) collapse in a main road until someone calls 911 or drives you to hospital (or dial 911 yourself I guess)

So, how does hollywood score?
    Last edited by jasonjm; 04-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post

1) suck the poison out and spit it out
    2) if the snake is still there take a picture of it for ID later
    4) collapse in a main road until someone calls 911 or drives you to hospital (or dial 911 yourself I guess)

So, how does hollywood score?
    You forgot cut off the "rattle" for later story telling to the grandkidz.

In all seriousness. Lay still, call for help. Elevate the bitten area (if possible). GET TO A HOSPITAL and hope you did not get bit by a green mojave (neuro toxin AND hemo toxin).

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by WLAmtb View Post
    So let's say you're riding alone and you get bit.

What do?
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post

1) Do 50 jumping jacks.
    2) if the snake is still there take a picture of it for ID later and cut off rattle for proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    You forgot cut off the "rattle" for later story telling to the grandkidz.

In all seriousness. Lay still, call for help. Elevate the bitten area (if possible). GET TO A HOSPITAL and hope you did not get bit by a green mojave (neuro toxin AND hemo toxin).
    Truth be told, I'm not so sure about the "elevate" part. I think you would want to keep the bit as far below your heart as possible to allow gravity to help.

If I were VERY remote, and got bit below the knee, I honestly think I'd tie a tourniquet.

I know there's some WFR's on this forum . . . where they at?!

Edit: Errrr . . . don't do jumping jacks.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hmmmmmm

Sometimes I don't see anyone else on my trails for hours if ever.

Don't think waiting is a good idea?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm down in San Diego and have seen three decent sized rattlers the last 3 weekends. It's pretty routine to see them where I ride. The scary thing is, during this early springtime they rarely rattle, so there's literally no warning until you're right on top of them. Without cell coverage or a buddy nearby, it would be a tough call on how to best haul yourself out of there. Hope I never find myself in that situation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I know there's some WFR's on this forum . . . where they at?!
    Didn't really hear much about elevation, but I do remember no tourniquet for a rattle snake bite. Mainly the best thing to do is to immobilize whatever was bitten and evacuate without moving too much.

Just don't pretend to be in True Grit and suck the venom out!
    Last edited by PerfectZero; 04-14-2012 at 01:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Didn't run this guy over, but he was crossing the trail at hodges on the north side of the foot btidge. Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-uploadfromtaptalk1334684822937.jpg

I saw a 2.5' kingsnake a little later on my ride but he was too fast for me to get my camera out. The kingsnake was very cool.
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Saw a big rattler today at PQ. Warned a lady walking her dog
    who was close and she didn't see it until I showed her.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just had to think of this thread when I came upon this rattlesnake today! No surprise to see him out since it was sunny and warm, but he was hidden in the shadows on a part of the trail where you try to keep up speed for an uphill. Tried to stop, but it was clear I wasn't going to be able to stop in time. So I hopped over him - got the front wheel over for sure, probably got the back wheel over but I'm not so sure about that. The snake wasn't much bothered - pulled its head back a bit, but otherwise didn't move. Always a rush when you go over a rattler!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake-poacher-4-20-12-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    I just had to think of this thread when I came upon this rattlesnake today! No surprise to see him out since it was sunny and warm, but he was hidden in the shadows on a part of the trail where you try to keep up speed for an uphill. Tried to stop, but it was clear I wasn't going to be able to stop in time. So I hopped over him - got the front wheel over for sure, probably got the back wheel over but I'm not so sure about that. The snake wasn't much bothered - pulled its head back a bit, but otherwise didn't move. Always a rush when you go over a rattler!
    That guy is a beast!

Almost ran this little guy over right at the trailhead, my daughter spotted him and yelled "snake" I was trying to avoid some dog crap didn't even see him hahahaha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-snake.jpg  

So Cal Slayin'
    Saw a decent sized rattler today out at Cheseboro. I was crawling up a steeper spot on the Cheseboro ridge trail and heard a rattle to my side, looked down and sure enough there it was off to the side of the trail. It could have easily tagged me because I was going super slow. Luckily it just sat there rattling as I passed it.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilverZ View Post
    It could have easily tagged me because I was going super slow. Luckily it just sat there rattling as I passed it.
    Yeah, the good thing about rattlers is that they'd much rather prefer to scare their threat away or retreat rather than immediately attacking. In other words they are mostly passive animals when it comes to threats like humans.

I can't tell you how many times I have unknowingly walked inches away from them while hiking on the trails. They will first rattle to give you a warning (which will scare the s**t out of even the bravest man if he is caught off guard), and then back away but if you get close to them and start pissing them off they will attack.

Be very careful for the baby ones though. Those are 100 times more dangerous than a full size adult because they are small and hard to spot, and they have not developed their rattles yet. On top of that if they bite you they will release an uncontrolled substantial amount of venom whereas an adult will release a small controlled amount of venom.

So, always keep a look out for those little guys on the trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Be very careful for the baby ones though. Those are 100 times more dangerous than a full size adult because they are small and hard to spot, and they have not developed their rattles yet. On top of that if they bite you they will release an uncontrolled substantial amount of venom whereas an adult will release a small controlled amount of venom.

So, always keep a look out for those little guys on the trails!
    Plus it looks like a good year for baby rattlers! I saw three little guys before I saw the adult in my picture. They come out when it is not as warm - though all the snakes are probably out now that it's summer temperatures!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I spotted this one yesterday in a concrete road in Lake Perris it was heading to the bushes moving a little fast so I got this snap on the scrubs

Surf 'n' Trail Rat
    Didn't run him over, but yesterday was a close call.

While riding in the Aliso area on a trail that doesn't get many riders, I rode past a red rattler on the side of the trail. What was unusual was that I was the third rider out of four, and that we were spread out... also, I rode within inches of it, and it never even tensed-up or rattled. I've seen rattlers a number of times here, and they always seem to be mild tempered. Yes, we seem to have our rattlers well-trained in South OC!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    man that snake even LOOKS pissed off.
    The person who said bad publicity is better than no publicity never fell down a cliff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It was for a moment then moved on.

No known cure
    I ran over a Mojave Green in my driveway with my car today. Saved me a round of snakeshot.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Holy shhhhh.......!!!!!

Cheers from Italy first of all.

Long time California visitor here, was just killing time on the forum and stumbled upon this topic. Man..this is making me think twice about a MTB vacation in Socal,I'll stick with road bike on PCH...geez....
    I live in Sardinia,Italy,the only region in the entire country where we don't have poisonous snakes,go figure... I would probably shatz my padded shorts just seeing one of those Aliens at a distance... The scariest encounter you can have on my trails is the occasional local sheperd inviting you to his barn for a couple of beers and a fresh cut of home made cheese and bread.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 04-24-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Trail Ninja
    Awesome pics Kukulkan. Now that I think about it, a majority of my snake encounters are around Lake Perris, and the biggest snake I've seen was there too.

mtbr member
    i saw a mess of reptile out in mission trails. it turned out to be a king snake that had a massive alligator lizard halfway down its throat. pretty awesome and rare sight to see.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Long time California visitor here, was just killing time on the forum and stumbled upon this topic. Man..this is making me think twice about a MTB vacation in Socal,I'll stick with road bike on PCH...geez....
    Ha! That's the problem with a thread like this - it exaggerates how common rattlesnakes are! It's actually a treat to see them, as long as you don't run over them. It's a bit of a shock when you can't stop in time - hence the title of this thread! - but that's pretty rare. In 20 years of riding these trails, I've only not been able to stop in time twice. And getting bitten is quite rare, especially biking. It's more dangerous hiking where you can step on an unseen snake or climbing on rocks where you can put your hand on a ledge with a snake.

And although I enjoy the occasional road ride, the cars on PCH are without doubt way more dangerous than rattlesnakes!!!

b a n n e d
    I've ridden for two years in SoCal and I've seen a whopping total of ONE rattlesnake. I used to share similar concerns, coming from the midwest, however, those fears have dissipated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Average number of people killed by a rattlesnake in a year = 5.5
    Number of cyclists killed by vehicles in 2006 = 772.

I'll take the snakes any day

I find it pretty rare to see snakes while riding. Although it's been a while since I have ridden heavily during the spring time so maybe this year will be different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I must be extremely unlucky because I have run into a snake (rattler, gopher, king) every single ride starting from about March this year. And they are never off in the bushes but just chilling on the side of the trail or stretched out in the middle.

My friends couldn't believe it so I started taking pictures and I eventually got sick having to dismount to snap a pic (got up to 18).

Let's build one more
    Quote Originally Posted by b52doc View Post
    I must be extremely unlucky because I have run into a snake (rattler, gopher, king) every single ride starting from about March this year. And they are never off in the bushes but just chilling on the side of the trail or stretched out in the middle.

My friends couldn't believe it so I started taking pictures and I eventually got sick having to dismount to snap a pic (got up to 18).

I have seen more this year than ever before. I caught one on my lawn last Saturday while mowing the grass Two footer and let him go in the field behind the house, far behind the house that is...
    Ryan McLatchy, you are my hero

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    In my last 4 rides I've seen 3 rattlers, 1 garter, and
    1 gopher snake. I don't know about the rest of you,
    but I love to see wildlife no matter what it is.

Best, John

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    In my last 4 rides I've seen 3 rattlers, 1 garter, and
    1 gopher snake. I don't know about the rest of you,
    but I love to see wildlife no matter what it is.

Best, John
    Same here to me it's one of the benefits of the sport. My eyes are constantly looking around for any type of critter. And if I see something I often do a pit stop to check it out.
    Front Range, Colorado.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    been out to the desert many many times from calico area but mainly glamis sand dunes since 87.Seen sidewinder tracks but never a snake til 2 years ago about a foot long baby i relocated it.It was on my brother sandrail wheel as it was getting dark.The next year i saw another one this one about 8 inches long warming up on a black part of our traielr door mat.It also got relocated.Never seen anything when i go fishing in kern river area either and they are there

Started mtn biking in dec so maybe i will see some now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Awesome pics Kukulkan. Now that I think about it, a majority of my snake encounters are around Lake Perris, and the biggest snake I've seen was there too.
    Thanks , you are right I have seen few there in the past two yrs, Sycamore cnyn in Riverside , PLENTY there to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    First post!

So far in the past 2 months I have seen 2 Rattlers, 1 Garter, and last week I saw a beautiful King snake. One of the Rattlers was pretty small and I almost ran him over, but was able to stop short and wait for him to slither into the bushes. Always gets my heart pumping when I see a Rattler.

By the way... All of these snake sightings have been on the Arroyo Trabuco trail in Mission Viejo.

Drew

mtbr member
    i started riding in october last year and so far i have seen 2 goopher/rat snakes and 2 rattlers one of which was a baby.

i saw them all in Penasquitos Canyon riding around noon time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I ran over a **** ton of rattlers on 5 Oaks Trail at Aliso and Wood Canyon state park

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I bunnyhopped a rattlesnake stretched straight across the trail one time up in JT. This was on the Uranium road in a straight/open and moderate downhill section where I had a little time to react. I think at about 10 feet I identified it as a snake and decided to bunnyhop it. I was going maybe 15-18mph. I didn't want to stop fast and put my foot down right next to it or fall on it and get bit! This snake wasn't little either . It was a 4-5 foot black phase and pretty thick.

It went smootthly for me but the snake got a little feisty with the next rider. He decided to bunnyhop it too and I can remember seeing it strike while he was over it in the air. No damage to either party but its possible one could nick your shin and cause you problems. It looked like the snake if it hit anything at all it struck his back tire.

Some other times I've seen black snakes on the trail when you come around a blind corner cut into the blueberry bush ground cover . The snake boogied off the trail quickly but if it was a big rattlesnake that was zoning it might be a different story. I wouldn't want to have to meet one like that! Let someone else go first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    All these responses and very few pictures. Doesn't anyone carry a camera or a cell phone. Come on people lets get some picture of these encounters and post em up.

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    All these responses and very few pictures. Doesn't anyone carry a camera or a cell phone. Come on people lets get some picture of these encounters and post em up.
    Never seen a snake???

Best NOT to stick around and play tourist snapping pics. These are deadly poisonous animals. I don't mess with them, just ride by and hold my legs UP.

Oh, you want a pic..... here is a Mojave Green from AZ (Tucson area....50 mile trail). Pic is out of focus..... I was SHAKING!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Upper Otay Lake Chula Vista

They're not boogie men out to get you, if you respect them they are not an issue.

Ran into two them today one at the lower lake, but I only heard him off the trail

And saw this guy around the Upper Otay Lake, he was stretched along the trail facing me, he was pretty mellow (maybe because it looks like he just ate) never rattled, just stayed there for a while then slithered off into the bushes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn5709.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-dscn5711.jpg  

b a n n e d

That thing is HUGE!

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by oo7 View Post

That thing is huge!
    oh yeah!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was riding in Aliso and Woods Canyon 05.14.2012 and saw two baby rattlers one dead, one was alive and went into the brush.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post

That thing is HUGE!
    Thats what she said !!

mtbr member
    That one is a fatty.

I think most of the rattlers I see have been in aliso woods. One ride there I saw more than a hand full; teaches you to watch where you place your foot when you stop. They are very cool to see.

My cup runneth over
    It’s not just SoCal…

I had a ride in Colorado and rode over two rattlers on one ride. The first one was on a climb and truly freaked me out because I was heads down grunting out the climb and didn’t see it until it came into view right under my front tire. The second rattler was on a flat section and I was going faster and so not too worried. The third snake (same ride, 5th picture) is a bull snake – these guys eat rattlers. Three snakes on one ride, none the rest of the year – go figure.

Edit: pics got loaded in reverse order - 1st pic is the bull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_0180.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_0189.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_0203.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_0205.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_0202.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    It’s not just SoCal…

I had a ride in Colorado and rode over two rattlers on one ride. The first one was on a climb and truly freaked me out because I was heads down grunting out the climb and didn’t see it until it came into view right under my front tire. The second rattler was on a flat section and I was going faster and so not too worried. The third snake (same ride, 5th picture) is a bull snake – these guys eat rattlers. Three snakes on one ride, none the rest of the year – go figure.

Edit: pics got loaded in reverse order - 1st pic is the bull.
    WOW! 2nd photo is great and scary!

mtbr member
    Had a stand-off with a rattler in Moro last week on Missing Link. Laying across the trail and went into a defensive coil/hissing after I stomped on the ground. Finally moved over, a bit, but it's hissing sounded like a downed power line and wasn't too far off the trail.

Ran over a Racer on Moro Canyon. Shot of the bushes, across the trail - I had a fair amt. of speed and couldn't stop. It must've be 3-4 ft. long too. It disappeared to other side so not sure how bad off it was.

banned
    Apr 2012
    I ran over a huge fat rattler last week on a high speed G out. Basically a downhill double drop into a gully. The point I hit him is where my suspension is usually fully bottomed. He coiled and rolled into the brush and the hissing and rattling was eerie, sounded like someone stabbed a truck tire. Definitely the sound of something dying.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast