Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    Question's been asked. Read the thread.

Thanks for your direct response and coaching how I should manage my time.

You actually brought quite a bit of distraction to my ride today as I laughed over and over at your silly command for me to be a better reader. It helped me get past the burn on the uphills.

Next time, instead of being a dbag, maybe try to give a suggestion or even point out something that someone might have missed.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Cool, glad I could help. Next time you're too lazy to read the whole thread just shoot me a pm and I'll get you up to speed again.

Genius
    Yes. 3 times. We have lots of snakes in the desert southwest. We even had a snake pit in one of the ranches my family owned until 3-4 years ago when it was sold. The pit was basically a canyon but no one ever went down there. You could throw a rock down there to tick them off. The noise made by the startled snakes was impressively loud.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemberland
    Ah ****! Lol!

That said, did anybody see any snakes in Otay Lakes?
    Saw a rattler today laying on the trail around the upper Otay Lake, scared the heck out me. Then i had to pass it again on the way back was still in roughly same place .
    Last edited by Cobra8d; 05-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.

official eMpTyBRain
    Saw 2 San Diego Gopher snakes on my ride in Chesebro today. My Sister-in-law just called and said that there is a snake in her front yard, oh no!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A snake without a head is something you don't see every ride. El Morro Ridge.

What happened? It had been writhing in the trail for some time based on its prints. The injury included a long flap of skin hanging. My guess is a run in with a hawk or other predator. But why leave the meat? The track is could be mine, but pretty sure I swung more left. I turned around after whipping by. Now that I think more about it, the snake was not small so the track looks more like a motorcycle. Weird.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode up on a rattler on thusday and another on friday at Sycamore Canyon/Riverside. The biggest one was as thick as my forearm! Both in the mini moab area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d
    Saw a rattler today laying on the trail around the upper Otay Lake, scared the heck out me. Then i had to pass it again on the way back was still in roughly same place .
    Thank god your safe man, I usually ride around Lower Otay Lakes anyways. BUT, now I'm hesitating now if I should continue. If I ever ride again around Otay Lakes, I'll make sure I have someone ride with me. I usually ride by myself.

Keep pedaling

I saw a small one bite my front tire.

I saw a small one bite my front tire. The snake was blocking a narrow trail (La Tuna Canyon single track). I came to a stop to before I reached it, threw some little rocks at it but it wouldn't get out of the way. Then I stood behind my bike and bumped it with the front tire a few times. Finally it bit my front tire, rattled and slithered away.

It didn't rattle until after striking. The bite didn't puncture my tire. The snake was only about 12-18 inches long.

mtbr member
    rode through sycamore canyon last weekend and didnt see any, now I'm nervous man, I hate snakes! Luckily they make me levetate for several feet due to the intense pucker factor. Geeze, now I just want to stick to the road...

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by the
    rode through sycamore canyon last weekend and didnt see any, now I'm nervous man, I hate snakes! Luckily they make me levetate for several feet due to the intense pucker factor. Geeze, now I just want to stick to the road...
    YEAH, but on the road you could get hit by a mustang, pinto, falcon, impala, bobcat, ram, jaguar, beetle, rabbit, fox or cougar (maybe not so bad).

99.9% (I'm not absolutely sure) of the snakes in SoCal are not fast enough to pursue you on a bike, but quick enough to bite your nose if you try to give them a kiss

Thus the best policy is to ride on the dirt and do NOT attempt to kiss any snakes, no matter how tempting it may be

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Came across a good sized Southern Pacific the other day in the chino hills state park. I was riding west on telegraph canyon and i was coming up on what I thought was a tree branch... until it instantly coiled up when I got within 2' of it. The snake was about 30" long and rattled something deep and scary sounding.

This was my first venomous snake encounter and it rattled me for about 500ft. I said to myself... "**** everything about that". luckily I was alone and the snake was ready to strike for nothing.

I think my co pay on emergency room visits is ridiculous .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Almost ran over one in Simpson Park (Hemet) about 4 days ago. Came around a corner on a flat section going slow to medium speed and it was half on the trail and half in the bushes. I'm bummed that my initial reaction was to stop instead of pedal my ass off to get by it. Before I was even stopped (instantly as I saw it) it coiled and started rattling. I've seen lots of rattlesnakes growing up in SoCal and riding bikes and motorcycles in the desert etc. and this was far and away the loudest mofo I have ever heard. I got up on a rock aobut 6-8 feet above it and took a shot of it. It was off the trail about a foot coiled ready to bite the **** out of me. You can see it in the center of the shot. I couldn't get the video to work of how loud it was so that is just a photo of the screenshot to give you an idea of where it was in relationship to the trail. Its coiled in the bush with the white buds on it on the right side of the trail. Also, have seen one in Aliso Woods at the start of the trail down from the water tower, one in peters canyon, and one on the san juan trail, all within the last 2 months. And I accidentally ran over a rosy boa on the same ride in simpson that I saw the rattler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-snake1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Trail Ninja
    I came upon a snake at Sycamore Canyon, Riverside as well. I noticed it when I rode by it, giving it a little extra room; I looked back and noticed my riding buddy stopped. I turned my bike around and found him picking it up and moving it off the trail.

Like some others have pointed out, I'll take my chances riding by since I know I ride faster and my exposed flesh are rather high above the ground. More of a chance of the snake getting hurt than me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnakesycamore1.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnakesycamore2.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnakesycamore3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yes. last month at noble canyon. in the rocky lower part. ran over the first one.

screamed like a girl and pedaled away like crazy. the next one 15 yards later must of heard my frightened cry as it was going off the trail as i rode by like wiley coyote.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I did Saturday at Spring Canyon -- fortunately he had a rat half-way down his throat at the time, so he couldn't bite me. Rolled over him at about 4 mph about half-way up 3 Barrels. Couldn't make him out until my front wheel was about 1 foot away and by then it was too late to stop. Most scared I've ever been of a snake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Funny when I read this thread. I was riding today at El Morro and came down a steep hill and then turned to a flat trail, a baby rattle snake is lying on the right side of the trail and perfectly blended into the ground. I stopped right in front of him and my front tire is literally right next to his head. I looked at him and took off right next to him. He looks very calm and I am so lucky that he didnít bit me as my right foot just right next to his head.. I think I didnít look ahead as a beginner rider which I should.. I am proud that I didnít panic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Rode Granite Bay, Ca trails (starting point, middle trail) saw a rattler , didn't really notice it, it was spread out just chilling in the shade, but didn't run it over.
    Went back 2 days later, different part of the trail , saw another one spread out and I just bunny hopped over it since it was spread out over the entire singletrack and I wasn't trying to fall next to it. (both sides was either a tree or bushes)
    Ever since I saw the first one, I pay more attention to my surroundings (I already do, just a lot more) the last thing I want to do is hurt or kill wildlife, regardless if it's a squirrel or snake, it's really their land where they live, we just ride on it

SoCal mtbr
    Yup, I ran into one today at PQ around 5:30PM. The only advice I could give is to look far ahead so you have time to react to any situation you may come across on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-pq-snake.jpg  

Customer: How spicy is medium?
    Waitress: It's "medium"...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride PQ a lot and have seen more snakes this year
    than all the other years put together. I wonder if all the
    rain we got this year may have something to do with it?

Best, John

mtbr member
    May 2011
    looking at the size of all of these snakes, 3 to 5 feet, if you put your legs up on top of your bike frame, I dont possibly see how one could strike high enough to bite a body part?

even id you roll right by it and not over it?

snakes strike downwards or forwards, so to bite a body part up that high, it would need to get its head at least 36 inches above ground before the strike? which could never happen even on a 5 foot snake?

mtbr member

Does bunny hopping one count?

Was coming down a singletrack section of Gabriellino between Red Box and Switzer a few years before the station fire and saw a down tube size branch laying across the trail. Except it wasn't a branch, it was a fat rattle snake. By the time I realized what it was, there was no time to stop... so I bunny hopped it. The snake didn't even wake up until my buddy got there. I yelled at him to stop 'cause there was a snake. So he stopped and started throwing pebbles and twigs at it, which totally pissed it off. Started rattling and slithered off the trail.

Don't try this at home. Rattle snakes eat bunnies so if you try to execute a bunny hop, the snake could mistake you for food and it may try and eat you. I'm just saying.

Scott

Trail Ninja
    This rattlesnake snuck to the benches on top of Snow Summit Big Bear at the Viewhaus:

Kind of scary knowing how many people were next to it, including children, and didn't really notice it. This one was really well camouflaged.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebird View Post
    Friend came across these two sexing it up on the Luge about a week ago.
    BALLS OF STEAL! i grew up on a farm and rattlers are the only thing i can think of besides skunks that will make me run away like a 14 year old school girl from R.kelly

mtbr member
    I had a moment of pure stupidity at spring canyon earlier today. Like most of the other posts, I came around a blind corner at a medium pace and saw a meaty one crawling across the traill about 10' in front. After trying to hammer the foot break on my 450x and grabbing the clutch I realized as I was going over the bars that I was NOT riding my X!!! As I sailed over the bars, I somehow clicked out mid flight and landed on my feet about 5 feet away. My niner goes bouncing right over this guy and off into the bushes. HOLY F'n crap... I damn near had a heart attack thinking how stupid I was grabbing levers in a panic and picking the wrong one. Never done anything so stupid, but lesson learned......there is no clutch on a mtn bike

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast