Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    @klurejr -- the claimed size of the snake shown in that email has been debunked on Snopes, but that snake is truly huge nonetheless. I forget the exact size as it's been a while since I read the Snopes article.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan
    @klurejr -- the claimed size of the snake shown in that email has been debunked on Snopes, but that snake is truly huge nonetheless. I forget the exact size as it's been a while since I read the Snopes article.
    I should of known better, gonna check out the snopes article now.

EDIT:
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/15ftrattler.asp

The snake is just over 7 feet long, not 15, but heck that is still a monster.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    @klurejr -- for sure; that's about 5' longer than any rattlesnake I'd want to run into on the trail. He's probably as big around as a grapefruit.

Waiting for my Obamabucks

Luge Snake Pron

Friend came across these two sexing it up on the Luge about a week ago.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Now Randy...you serious?

Better that we learn quick bunny-hop panic moves.
    That's still riding in control, Mike. What are you, up to 5 rattlesnakes already this month, and it's not even the 15th of April?

Flaccid Member
    That's two male red diamond backs fighting for breeding rights.... somewhere a female is near by.

mtbr member
    Yesterday at GMR/Monroe Truck trail in Gelndora.

Beer Please!
    Wow, you guys re lucky that first one that was coiled did not strike either of you.

I ran into a coiled up 4-5 footer on the way back to the parking lot out at Daley Ranch (cougar pass entrance) yesterday afternoon, it was close to 5:30pm and he was coiled in the grass off the side of the trail, I was climbing so I heard him before I saw him, but it still freaked me out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    All this talk of rattlesnakes has me nervous, especially with all the tall grass coming right up to the edge of the trails. I had a close call with a pissed-off Southern Pacific a few weeks ago down in Sweetwater, and I ran over an itty-bitty baby red in Oak Canyon last week, but that's it.

I was climbing CR-1 in Spring last night and came upon a huge alligator lizard. Before I got a good look at him I thought he was a rattlesnake, he was that thick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This worries me I'm not gonna lie... There shouldn't be any snakes in spring right? They only come out in the summer? Forgive my ignorance, I just hate snakes lol

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemberland
    This worries me I'm not gonna lie... There shouldn't be any snakes in spring right? They only come out in the summer? Forgive my ignorance, I just hate snakes lol
    Ha ha HAHAHA haha haa (deep an cruel laughter).....

.... dude.... summer (when the earth warms up enough to tell the snakes it's dinner time out there) starts in San Diego somewhere around March 29 (one week after equinox).

Snakes are part of the environment. The only thing they have on you is POISON and SURPRISE. You can't fight the poison, but you sure can mitigate the surprise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    Ha ha HAHAHA haha haa (deep an cruel laughter).....

.... dude.... summer (when the earth warms up enough to tell the snakes it's dinner time out there) starts in San Diego somewhere around March 29 (one week after equinox).

Snakes are part of the environment. The only thing they have on you is POISON and SURPRISE. You can't fight the poison, but you sure can mitigate the surprise.
    Ah ****! Lol!

That said, did anybody see any snakes in Otay Lakes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    God forbid if you do get, do you ride out or stay put and try to explain to 911 where the heck your at. Half the time I'm not even sure of the name of the trail I'm on.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanminded
    God forbid if you do get, do you ride out or stay put and try to explain to 911 where the heck your at. Half the time I'm not even sure of the name of the trail I'm on.

Stay Put unless it is life or death that you need to move.

If you are alone and have no cell signal to call 911 and no one is on the trail to help, then perhaps you should move slowly keeping your heart rate down until you get cell signal. Too much heart rate will move the venom quicker in your body.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr
    Stay Put unless it is life or death that you need to move.

If you are alone and have no cell signal to call 911 and no one is on the trail to help, then perhaps you should move slowly keeping your heart rate down until you get cell signal. Too much heart rate will move the venom quicker in your body.
    I was taught differently, but who knows who is right. I just moved here to SoCal. The guy made sense to me. I said to just immobilize that area and maybe fashion a sort of loose tourniquet. Heart rate doesn't really mean much. If the snake was lucky enough to inject all the venom into a vein, that would probably be near instant death. More than likely, its in the muscle and working that body part attracts more blood, which would pick up the venom. That and blood pressure maybe, so stay calm, relax the bitten area, call 911, get to a more accessible spot. The sooner you get treatment, the better the chances. He also mentioned that snake-bite kits are ineffective and sucking it out/suction is also ineffective and 911 and the hospital is the way to go.

IE. if my left leg got bitten, I'd just ride my bike, mostly coasting with weight on my right foot and use my right leg to pedal if necessary, with my left hanging/resting, and get to the trailhead. If I were with a buddy and we were parked at the trailhead, I'd probably have 'em drive me to the hospital if it didn't take long to get there. Dunno why kind of treatment they can do on an ambulance, but if they have anti-venom on it, I probably would wait for that instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Snake phobia makes me roadbiking

Yeah, I am really having a hard time daring going for a mtb ride during snake season here in San Diego.
    I rode for 4 years in the Santa Monica Mountains: only saw one huge black coiled rattler. I literally rode maybe a foot next to him, only to hear that scary rattling sound, uncliped and ...survived..
    Saw a few in the in the San Gabriels.
    Spend 3 years in in Palm Spring and saw none, zero, nada (rode a few times/week in the goat trails).
    Now, I am in San Diego and where I ride (Daley Ranch), from March to Sept-October, I can say I see at least one rattler every ride. I am not kidding, last week, 3 on the same ride...
    In April last year, I basically decided to stop riding my MTB until fall. Now the question is "is road biking any less dangerous than mtbiking in snake country ?"
    And see, it's Sunday PM, I would like to go for a 3hr mtb ride, but instead will go road biking again (already have 10 hr of road in the legs and want to ride my superfly).

R.I.P. DogFriend
    That 'record size' snake is much closer to the camera than that dude in the background (old fisherman's trick ).

The reports I have seen are that it was 9'1", which is still HUGE.
    ============================
    Was searching in the weeds next to a trail for a shovel (to do some trail work) that a friend had stashed on Wednesday evening. I was standing in one spot and gave him a call on the cell to try to pinpoint the location of the shovel. Just as he answered the phone, I took two steps and turned around to see a small/mediu, sized rattler coiled up just a couple inches from where I had just been standing. He never made a sound.

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    Quote Originally Posted by fabe
    Yeah, I am really having a hard time daring going for a mtb ride during snake season here in San Diego.
    I rode for 4 years in the Santa Monica Mountains: only saw one huge black coiled rattler. I literally rode maybe a foot next to him, only to hear that scary rattling sound, uncliped and ...survived..
    Saw a few in the in the San Gabriels.
    Spend 3 years in in Palm Spring and saw none, zero, nada (rode a few times/week in the goat trails).
    Now, I am in San Diego and where I ride (Daley Ranch), from March to Sept-October, I can say I see at least one rattler every ride. I am not kidding, last week, 3 on the same ride...
    In April last year, I basically decided to stop riding my MTB until fall. Now the question is "is road biking any less dangerous than mtbiking in snake country ?"
    And see, it's Sunday PM, I would like to go for a 3hr mtb ride, but instead will go road biking again (already have 10 hr of road in the legs and want to ride my superfly).
    I believe most snake bites occur to drunk young men who 'play' with them. I do, this time of year, stay on the trail when I dismount. I always look where I put my feet. The snakes I've seen are always bee-lining off the trail or giving the rattle warning. Not very aggressive.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebird
    I believe most snake bites occur to drunk young men who 'play' with them. I do, this time of year, stay on the trail when I dismount. I always look where I put my feet. The snakes I've seen are always bee-lining off the trail or giving the rattle warning. Not very aggressive.
    99% of the snakes I've seen are laid back / chill. All it takes is one with an attitude to wreck your day though.

I've ridden by one that I never even saw but it was rattling and hissing like a cobra from the side of the trail; who knows maybe it had just been run over by a biker a few minutes before I went by. Also heard a report of a big old diamondback at San Diego Sycamore slithering right down the middle of the trail directly toward guys on bikes - so don't necessarily count on them ALWAYS being non-aggressive.

official eMpTyBRain
    Friend came across these two sexing it up on the Luge about a week ago.
    INCREDIBLE SHOT!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

official eMpTyBRain
    Are you saying that drunk young men do not make good snake charmers? What about drunk middle aged men? I capture and hold the rattlers I come across on the trail and I haven't been bitten yet???

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamicz
    Yesterday at GMR/Monroe Truck trail in Gelndora.

I've seen "buzzers" on that ride also. How's the water situation down at the start of the trail? Has the roaring river subsided yet???

Beer Please!
    Saw a smaller one dead and missing the front half of his body out in Calavera yesterday, so now that is three different dead rattlers I have seen in that area over the past month. I have yet to see a live on in Calavera.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone here ever been bit or been on a ride where someone got bit?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell
    Anyone here ever been bit or been on a ride where someone got bit?
    Question's been asked. Read the thread.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast