Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for all the posts. I need to keep my kids closer to me when we ride. I let my 12 year old take off uphill cause he climbs like a maniac, so thats gonna have to end. THen my 16yr old bombs down faster then us so Im gonna keep that in check too..ALSO now Im gonna be more aware of my surroundings during the hike a bike sections! I hate snakes!!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Ride in control, and rattlesnakes won't ever be an issue.

Now Randy...you serious?

Better that we learn quick bunny-hop panic moves.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you are afraid of rattlers, don't ride the 24 hour course at Hurkey Creek, or in the Idyllwild area. I usually ride over two or three a year. They love to lay stretched out in the middle of trails sunning themselves in the late spring. I have had two dark timber rattlers rise up into my cranks only to be knocked down. When you are moving quickly around a corner, it is impossible to react fast enough!

mtbr member
    One summer day, back when the Manitou 2 was cutting edge, we crossed FOURTEEN snakes between the top of L.A. Sycamore Canyon and the beachside trailhead. We just let'em slither away. One of them looked like a dang python. about 6' stretched out and thick.

Man, he woulda made a great hatband in the 1970's. Or, like now for the Motor City Madman.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Long ago when I used to ride dirt bikes I ran over a snake that stretched most of the way across a dirt road and looked to be as big around as my calf. I was going fast and only had time to kind of unload the suspension. I stopped and went back to look for it (and possibly put it out of it's misery if I squished it). I couldn't find any sign of it. I really think I saw it....

mtbr member
    Thankfully, the only two times I've seen them on the trail were when I was walking my bike back up. The first time I saw it from a good ten feet away, the second time I almost walked on top of it. I was about halfway off of the trail right as I rounded a corner, and because it was so small I thought it was a branch...I don't think I scared the snake at all but I was shaken up pretty good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    New to the site but not new to riding.. Last year we were riding near Thousand Oaks and I swore the item in front of me was a tree branch.. Low and behold to my surprise i bunny hoped over it and while doing so realized it was the largest rattler me and my friend had ever seen.. Tried to strike at me and lucky didnt get hit..

Seriously my biggest fear is when riding single track out here.. especially in July when the brush is so high. I think a copper head is a bigger threat though

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've seen 10-15 and had to bunny-hop two of them (both on the same day at of all places.... Rattlesnake Canyon). Last July at Lake Hodges, they were out in force. I saw one on (3) straight days, including the biggest/fattest one ever. He was just sunning himself on the side of the trail, only about 1/2 mile from the main lot near NC Fair. Not surprising though because they had tons of food available. The rabbit population was immense last season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quicker401
    New to the site but not new to riding.. Last year we were riding near Thousand Oaks and I swore the item in front of me was a tree branch.. Low and behold to my surprise i bunny hoped over it and while doing so realized it was the largest rattler me and my friend had ever seen.. Tried to strike at me and lucky didnt get hit..

Seriously my biggest fear is when riding single track out here.. especially in July when the brush is so high. I think a copper head is a bigger threat though
    I don't think we really have to be on the lookout for Copperheads in SoCal.
    "The Jeep is America's only real sports car"
    Enzo Ferrari

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    What about cobra's?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I understand that it is incredibly bad luck to step across a cobra (which is after all the king of snakes) that is lying across your path. I can only imagine the cost in Hindu holy men, milk, honey and incense it would take to avert the huge amount of bad luck that would result from riding over a cobra.
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

Trail Ninja
    I rode past one that I didn't see, but heard just to the side of a horse trail in the hills by Lake Perris. It sounded like a water sprinkler. That was my first encounter since moving here in Nov '10. I don't really fear 'em since there's a lot of info out there about them. I hear they're shy and only attack if threatened. I'd stop and watch it if I see one in the middle of a trail though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    I rode past one that I didn't see, but heard just to the side of a horse trail in the hills by Lake Perris. It sounded like a water sprinkler. That was my first encounter since moving here in Nov '10. I don't really fear 'em since there's a lot of info out there about them. I hear they're shy and only attack if threatened. I'd stop and watch it if I see one in the middle of a trail though.

Lake Perris is where I had my encounter with a huge rattler 5' easy! It was on a paved part of the trail along the lake. We pulled over never seing one in the wild and I wanted to hear what a rattlesnake sounds like in person. (I dont believe Hollywood movies!) Plus I wanted my boys to hear it too in case they run into one. From a safe distance I provoked it with small pebbles and yes when threatend they will coil and rattle. AFter the experience we waited till it slithered deep into bushes and advised uncoming people about the sighting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Bunny hopped over one on me old Racer-X flying down Gridley in Ojai.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I saw my first rattler of the season this afternoon at Sycamore Canyon, Riverside. He was coiled up on the trail in the mini moab area. He wasn't a happy camper!

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    almost ran into one this afternoon off of T&A in laguna coast wilderness. luckily, i was braking already to get around a little stump. otherwise, with the tall grass i wouldn't have seen it till the last second. he was pissed!
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

noob
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert
    almost ran into one this afternoon off of T&A in laguna coast wilderness. luckily, i was braking already to get around a little stump. otherwise, with the tall grass i wouldn't have seen it till the last second. he was pissed!
    I saw two in El Moro canyon on Sunday. I've hopped over one and ridden past a few, speed helps...
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing more helpess and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an either binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon...

mtbr member

this close

I wasn't close to running over a rattlesnake, but I was this close to getting bit by one I came around a bend and there it was in the trail, it rattled and then took a swipe at me as I rode past. I didn't get to see the lunge, but I definately heard it. My buddy was a second or two behind me and it took a shot at him too. We stopped a bit aways and tried to get it off the trail. There were alot of hikers on the trail that day, so we decided to help the snake off the trail. A buddy of mine got a tree branch and led it off the trail into the bushes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake2.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Happened to me today

On the Desert Classic near Pima Canyon. Didn't have time to react and the snake was stretched out over the majority of the width of the trail. He rattled, i screamed. I was able to unclip a foot, it just happened, i didn't think about it. Snake moved into a shrub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Came close to running over a trout a couple weeks ago on one of the concrete crossings up Trabuco.

This guy had no intention of moving off El Moro ridge. Ignored the sticks being tossed at it by two hikers who were afraid to pass by.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattlesnake.jpg  

Last edited by She&I; 04-02-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: To increase the quality of provided content

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Msn i think i saw the same snake at el moro ridge on Friday - i think right after "I think I can" on the way to get a view of the ocean. he was about 4 feet long

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I saw my first rattler of this year at Hurkey Creek last Friday. It was a tiny baby stretched out across the fire road by the oak tree that signals the beginning of the downhill section of the 24 hour loop. I'm surprised he didn't drown because there was a ton of water on those trails! Use a wet chain lube.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craptasticycle
    Get to a doctor ASAP. None of the snake bite kits really do all that much as far as I've heard. Always carry a cell phone so you can call 911.

Also, do not try to hike or bike out of the area you are in unless you can keep your heart rate extremely low and you have no other choice. Better to let the medics come get you. Best thing is to stay calm and keep the heart rate low to avoid pumping the venom around the body too much.

As for the comment about keeping ones bike in control to avoid the snakes, bike control is not going to save you from a snake in the trail. I came around a blind corner on a tight single track in Calavera Preserve about a month ago and barely stopped in time to avoid running over what was a dead rattle snake sprawled across the trail. I was going about 4mph at the time because the trail was so tight.

My buddies found another dead rattler a week later in a different part of the preserve. No idea what is killing them, but I have yet to see a live one.

On another note we did see a Ring Necked Coral Snake, it was gorgeous, never seen one before, and I just missed running him over cause he was so small, probably only 9-10 inches.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I
    Came close to running over a trout a couple weeks ago on one of the concrete crossings up Trabuco.

This guy had no intention of moving off El Moro ridge. Ignored the sticks being tossed at it by two hikers who were afraid to pass by.
    That's a Southern Pacific -- notoriously stubborn and ill-tempered. Some experts even believe the Southern Pacific is more poisonous than other rattlesnakes due to cross-breeding with Mojave Greens which have a neurotoxin in their venom.

Beer Please!
    My mom sent this email to me yesterday, thought it sorta fit in on this thread:

This is a 15 foot Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake - the largest ever caught on record, in fact. This snake was found Near the St. Augustine outlet, in a new KB homes subdivision just south of Jacksonville FL.

A little research revealed the following:
    One bite from a snake of this size would contain enough venom to kill over 40 full grown men.

The head of this snake alone is larger than the hand of a normal sized man
    A bite from those fangs would comparable to being stabbed by two curved, 1/4 inch diameter screwdrivers.

The knife being used to draw out the fangs for the bottom picture has a blade around 4 inches long.

This snake is estimated to have weighed over 170 pounds.

Notice the girth of this snake as compared to the cops leg in the first picture (and he is
    not a small man).
    A snake of this size could easily swallow a 2 year-old child (and dogs, pigs, etc).
    A snake this size has a 5 1/2' accurate striking distance. (The distance for an average size rattlesnake is about 2 feet.)

I think Mountain Biking In Florida is a bit more hazardous when it comes to snakes.

Unless this is some elaborate email hoax....
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast