Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

date night

DG Super Speedway behind Double Peaks in San Marcos, Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-17311299_10155266836598258_299292660954665530_o.jpglast Thursday.

One ring to mash them all
    While out with the dog last weekend (Missing Trails near Tierrasanta):

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_20170312_100547595.jpg

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_20170312_100633708.jpg:

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Almost got this little guy.

And 100ft later I ran something over and got a bad flat that hissed and I screamed like a little girl thinking I just ran over a pissed off snake. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Almost got this little guy.

And 100ft later I ran something over and got a bad flat that hissed and I screamed like a little girl thinking I just ran over a pissed off snake. Hahaha.
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_9805.jpg

I added something for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Haha thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
    Im just curious who's actually run over one they couldnt avoid. I ride with my boys who are teenagers and want to try to give guidence on how to handle a situation. We came across one last year but we saw him in plenty of time to slow and roll around him. Im not so worried if im not clipped in and can lift my feet up high but you never know!
    I just saw one last week on Dirt Mulholland, splayed out across the trail. I stopped about 5 feet from it at which point it slithered into the brush, but not before giving me a stern warning with its rattle. I have thought of this situation and how I would deal with it. I ride in AZ quite a bit as well and have seen a few in South Mountain. What I have made up in my mind if I ever have to act quickly is to try to aim for the head - I figure if I get close enough to the head I significantly reduce its striking range, and if I get the head directly, well... problem solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    I understand that it is incredibly bad luck to step across a cobra (which is after all the king of snakes) that is lying across your path. I can only imagine the cost in Hindu holy men, milk, honey and incense it would take to avert the huge amount of bad luck that would result from riding over a cobra.
    Good thing the only place you are likely to encounter a cobra in SoCal is the zoo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Came across this little guy. He seemed to be a bit aggressive. Guess he wasn't too pleased being bunny hopped over.

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-snake.jpg
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Oh, that's not so little. Four feet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Oh, that's not so little. Four feet?
    Probably 3-4'. Good enough to see at a far enough distance so I could react in time.

mtbr member
    Starting to show in force. Next couple of month should be crazy! This is one of two I saw on Tuesday. With all the trails overgrown with weeds from rain, they are going to be some creatures being bit this spring/summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    While out with the dog last weekend (Missing Trails near Tierrasanta):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170312_100547595.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	1128057

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170312_100633708.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	1128058:
    Just curious have you put your dog through one of the dog rattle snake trainings? I've been debating doing it for mine and wanted to know if they were worth it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've taken my German Shepherd through the rattlesnake aversion course the last couple of years and will do it again this spring. I take him with me on trails in So. CA, and we usually go up to Mammoth and Tahoe in the summer as well. In the class last year he remembered to avoid rattlers without even having to get a shock from the collar. As soon as he saw the snake in his path he ran all the way around it and came back to me. The trainer couldn't even get him to smell the baby rattlers--he wanted nothing to do with them. I think it's a cheap insurance policy compared to losing your dog or spending thousands on vet bills. And it looks like it will be a 'snake-y' summer.

Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    Just curious have you put your dog through one of the dog rattle snake trainings? I've been debating doing it for mine and wanted to know if they were worth it.
    I have not. They stopped holding them in San Diego county about the time we got our dog. They may have started back up again but I haven't checked recently.

I had my dog on leash and wrapped it around my thigh when I took those pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Don't be one of the plethora of asshats out here who lets their dogs roam off leash. Plenty of dog parks if you want to do that.

That said I've taken my dogs to some of these classes and they were pretty worthless. You can easily train your dog to avoid/ignore various things. Shaking a can of beans or some maracas to imitate the sound and teach avoidance is stupid. The majority of rattlers I've encountered and ran over never bothered to rattle any warning signal.

These rattlesnake avoidance programs don't offer anything that a simple obedience training class won't accomplish IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Don't be one of the plethora of asshats out here who lets their dogs roam off leash. Plenty of dog parks if you want to do that.

That said I've taken my dogs to some of these classes and they were pretty worthless. You can easily train your dog to avoid/ignore various things. Shaking a can of beans or some maracas to imitate the sound and teach avoidance is stupid. The majority of rattlers I've encountered and ran over never bothered to rattle any warning signal.

These rattlesnake avoidance programs don't offer anything that a simple obedience training class won't accomplish IMO.
    Very well said! If your pooch is on a leash as he or she should be, there won't be any problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    We have put both of our dogs thru class and will do another refresher. The one we did used live snakes so they get the full scent and got zapped when they approach it.

Obedience training can work, but have had two friends dogs get bit, once on a trail and the other in the backyard. Unless they learn the scent, they will do as all dogs do and investigate it, then its too late. Majority of time they wont rattle if startled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post

I never said anything about having my dogs off leash but thanks for the unsolicited advice.

My understanding was these training programs used actual snakes that were secured somehow but if that's not the case then I'll steer clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I never said anything about having my dogs off leash but thanks for the unsolicited advice.

My understanding was these training programs used actual snakes that were secured somehow but if that's not the case then I'll steer clear.

Shop around. Legit ones use muzzled snakes and are everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Not a rattler but a good sized gopher snake stretched completely accross the trail this morning. Had to give him a friendly nudge so he wouldn't get run over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-20170422_101720.jpg  

Binned
    Nov 2008
    My new bud...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_1047.jpg  

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_1049.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's a pretty one!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by SCR818 View Post
    My new bud...
    Gross.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    What's so gross? You're not one of them Snowflakes are you?

Quote Originally Posted by SCR818 View Post
    My new bud...
    A nice Southern Pacific specimen.
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Gross.
    This. Nope Train to Nopeville at F&!k Nope o clock.

mtbr member
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-20170506_113824.jpg
    I saw this guy at Missing Trails, on the Quarry Ridge loop.
    I believe it's either a Coachwhip or a Racer.
    (HAWG can verify or correct me...)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A black and white California Kingsnake was swimming in a small cove on the south side of Diamond Valley Lake on Saturday 5/13/17. It was very intent on getting in my bass boat. I had to kick my 36 volt trolling motor on high to get away from the thing. I was afraid that I was going to have to hit it with my rod tip. Fortunately, it wasn't a rattler and I got away. Feel free to imagine a James Bond like getaway scene! That lake has way too many rattlesnakes also.

Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    A black and white California Kingsnake was swimming in a small cove on the south side of Diamond Valley Lake on Saturday 5/13/17. It was very intent on getting in my bass boat. I had to kick my 36 volt trolling motor on high to get away from the thing. I was afraid that I was going to have to hit it with my rod tip. Fortunately, it wasn't a rattler and I got away. Feel free to imagine a James Bond like getaway scene! That lake has way too many rattlesnakes also.
    You should have scooped that colorful harmless gentle creature up and gave him a lift to shore. I bet if the tables were turned he'd do the same for you.

I've handled many a Cal. King and they are as gentle of a snake as you'll find.

CEB
    The beauty surrounds
    Rosey Boa ( in the pic above).

Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Rosey Boa ( in the pic above).
    Good call, now that I'm on a larger screen than my cell phone I can see that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You almost never see Rosey Boa's anymore. Nice find.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    You almost never see Rosey Boa's anymore. Nice find.
    Especially as low as Missing Trails. All my sightings were in the Lagunas.

Let's build one more
    4 rattlers in 30 mins this afternoon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattler-lilac.jpg  

"We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I saw only one but plenty of tracks across the trail in other placesWho's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-20170519_180250.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Especially as low as Missing Trails. All my sightings were in the Lagunas.
    I've seen Rosy Boas up there, also a Mountain King on upper Noble Canyon. I was riding with my wife's brother and his wife; she though it was a Coral snake.

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I've seen Rosy Boas up there, also a Mountain King on upper Noble Canyon. I was riding with my wife's brother and his wife; she though it was a Coral snake.
    Noble is where I've had most of my Rosy Boa sightings and California Kings. I've never been fortunate enough to see a Mountain King which mimics a Coral Snake in colors. Just remember "if red touches yellow you're a dead fellow".

Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_0168.jpg

Harmeless Mountain King Snake
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_0170.jpg

Deadly Coral Snake
    Name:  IMG_0171.JPG
Views: 11
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 10 Hours Ago at 08:10 AM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Members who have read this thread: 172