Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 551 to 596 of 596
  1. #551
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,320
    Quote Originally Posted by ohfosho View Post
    looks like someone got bit in san diego and posted the cost on reddit. I didn't see any response from the op as to where or what type of snake.

    Attachment 1002793

    https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...te_in_america/
    yikers!!
    Front Range, Colorado.

  2. #552
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,021
    San Diego's Sharp Memorial Hospital, is a FOR PROFIT $$$$ mill. Never....
    "The ONLY person who needs to race.....is the entrant"

  3. #553
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ohfosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    55
    So I'm reading that snakes like to come out during the rain and maybe after because the water fills there tunnels and holes. I'm not a big snake fan nor do I know how to ID a snake besides the rattler on the tail. Advice to stay home or just go out and ride? I want to ride La Costa preserves but that please seems to have a lot of active snakes.

  4. #554
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by ohfosho View Post
    So I'm reading that snakes like to come out during the rain and maybe after because the water fills there tunnels and holes. I'm not a big snake fan nor do I know how to ID a snake besides the rattler on the tail. Advice to stay home or just go out and ride? I want to ride La Costa preserves but that please seems to have a lot of active snakes.
    Go out and ride. The only snakes you need to ID are the ones with rattles ... there are no other poisonous snakes in SoCal.

  5. #555
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by ohfosho View Post
    Looks like someone got bit in San Diego and posted the cost on Reddit. I didn't see any response from the OP as to where or what type of snake.

    Attachment 1002793

    https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...te_in_america/
    This is a good reason to carry medical insurance. Especially if you are self employed because it is 100% deductible in this state. Out of pocket cost would be just a few thousand. No biggy.

    Or if you're lucky, your employer carries it for you.

    What's a life worth in cash, anyway?

  6. #556
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    This is a good reason to carry medical insurance. Especially if you are self employed because it is 100% deductible in this state. Out of pocket cost would be just a few thousand. No biggy.

    Or if you're lucky, your employer carries it for you.

    What's a life worth in cash, anyway?
    One of many good reasons to carry medical insurance. I can think of two others off the top of my head. Riding a motorcycle off a cliff and landing on your head off a jump while snow skiing. [inside joke] for Hawg.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  7. #557
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    One of many good reasons to carry medical insurance. I can think of two others off the top of my head. Riding a motorcycle off a cliff and landing on your head off a jump while snow skiing. [inside joke] for Hawg.
    Rag dolling 100'+ down a steep mountain side. Another good reason to carry med ins.

  8. #558
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rhinodriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Why would you try to panic stop and risk what happened to you, when you could just keep going. A rattleshake isn't going to bit you if you just ride right by.
    It was right after a downhill corner but far enough after the corner that I had time to react. It was pure gut reaction without any brain power. I've hopped over a couple of them in the past. This guy coiled up and started rattling pretty quick, but lucky for me when I landed next to him he was fully stretched out enjoying the sun.... I've had a few close calls with putting my foot down off the pedal right next to one before too. There's a ton of them where I ride.
    If you are going through hell, keep going. -- Winston Churchill

  9. #559
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    Wait, so this guy coiled up really fast and started to rattle, but by the time you decided to spoon with him he was in the tanning position? This doesn't sound right.

  10. #560
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rhinodriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    100
    No... I came around the corner and he was sunning himself. I slammed on the brakes, went over the bars and landed next to him. He quickly coiled up and I rolled the other way.

  11. #561
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinodriver View Post
    No... I came around the corner and he was sunning himself. I slammed on the brakes, went over the bars and landed next to him. He quickly coiled up and I rolled the other way.
    I guess he's not into spooning!

  12. #562
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BikingScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    134
    Not exactly ON a trail, but I was headed out and stepped right over this guy.
    After I freaked out, I realized it wasn't a rattler....
    I was hoping that HAWG could ID what kind of snake it is.
    King? Gopher?
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-image.jpg

  13. #563
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by BikingScott View Post
    Not exactly ON a trail, but I was headed out and stepped right over this guy.
    After I freaked out, I realized it wasn't a rattler....
    I was hoping that HAWG could ID what kind of snake it is.
    King? Gopher?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	317.6 KB 
ID:	1062585
    It's a San Diego Gopher snake. Very nice!!

  14. #564
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    59
    I ride in the Mojave, and rattlers are common around here. I've had close calls with several. I keep wondering if I need to carry a snakebite kit in my camelbak during the summer.

    So far this season they haven't been too active yet.

  15. #565
    Bannėd
    Reputation: Trevor Ochmonek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    I ride in the Mojave, and rattlers are common around here. I've had close calls with several. I keep wondering if I need to carry a snakebite kit in my camelbak during the summer.

    So far this season they haven't been too active yet.
    Don't waste your money, snakebite kits are outdated and can do more harm than good. Best to just remain calm (easy, right?) and call for help if you can or walk where you can without raising your HR too much. Not a bad idea to have a list of do's and dont's in your first aid kit if that would help in an emergency.
    "Imagine being able to travel safely at incredibly fast speeds, and not having to go to the stupid fartface airports!"

  16. #566
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    Don't waste your money, snakebite kits are outdated and can do more harm than good. Best to just remain calm (easy, right?) and call for help if you can or walk where you can without raising your HR too much. Not a bad idea to have a list of do's and dont's in your first aid kit if that would help in an emergency.
    Everybody's best friend in the case of an emergency is a cell phone signal. Make the call, first and foremost.

  17. #567
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sdktm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22
    A couple of weeks ago in PQ canyon heading west on the North side just a 100 yards before waterfall area where there is a off camber small dip to the trail, I rode past a big rattler that was stretched across most of the trail. I stopped to get my phone out for a picture just as a girl mtber came flying around corner from same direction I had. I gave her a warning shout about the snake which lead to a full panic lockup slide out. The screaming girl was clipped in and spun a 180 stopping with her head and shoulders maybe at the most 6 inches away from a now pissed off coiled up to strike rattler. For some lucky reason, the snake straighted out and bolted for the brush away from her. She was in a little shock and scratched up a bit, but okay. She will remember that encounter the rest of her life!

  18. #568
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    ^ Holly shit! I guess he didn't want to spoon either.

  19. #569
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdktm View Post
    A couple of weeks ago in PQ canyon heading west on the North side just a 100 yards before waterfall area where there is a off camber small dip to the trail, I rode past a big rattler that was stretched across most of the trail. I stopped to get my phone out for a picture just as a girl mtber came flying around corner from same direction I had. I gave her a warning shout about the snake which lead to a full panic lockup slide out. The screaming girl was clipped in and spun a 180 stopping with her head and shoulders maybe at the most 6 inches away from a now pissed off coiled up to strike rattler. For some lucky reason, the snake straighted out and bolted for the brush away from her. She was in a little shock and scratched up a bit, but okay. She will remember that encounter the rest of her life!
    Legitimate question (i.e., not trying to be an arse) . . . do you think that she would have fared just fine had she continued riding along her intended route? It sounds like the panic-stop and avoidance maneuvers could have led to a worse outcome, when perhaps the smart thing for her to do would have been to keep riding.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  20. #570
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Legitimate question (i.e., not trying to be an arse) . . . do you think that she would have fared just fine had she continued riding along her intended route? It sounds like the panic-stop and avoidance maneuvers could have led to a worse outcome, when perhaps the smart thing for her to do would have been to keep riding.
    Yes grasshopper, she would have been better off if she just kept going.

  21. #571
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-rattler.jpg
    Nearly ran over this guy yesterday in PQ. I think that may have pissed him off a little. It's amazing how high you can bunny hop to avoid a snake haha. The red ones blend in with the dirt and I didn't see him till he hissed and coiled up. I was moving pretty quick so he never had a chance to strike. Thankfully I was riding alone cuz anyone following behind would have gotten his wrath.

  22. #572
    ILIKEBIKES
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    405
    [QUOTE=adrock79;Thankfully I was riding alone cuz anyone following behind would have gotten his wrath.[/QUOTE]

    So this is justification for Strava- it helps you train to move so fast a snake can't bite you...

  23. #573
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blacksheep5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    357
    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-image1460681384.862350.jpg came across this serpent yesterday at houlda crooks , in loma linda


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #574
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    276
    Out on a hike with the dog this morning in MTRP, this guy was right square in our path.





    I was keeping a close eye out for them, since it's been so warm, but this caught me by surprise a bit. We had just come from the other side of a bush that was obscuring the trail. The un-zoomed pic is from about 5 ft away. Fortunately the dog was heeling, instead of charging ahead like he sometimes does.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
    -- Robert A. Heinlein

  25. #575
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    Wow, and he blends in so well.

  26. #576
    mtbr member
    Reputation: luvdabeach2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    546
    Didn't run hm over but it was damn close. Beautiful snake.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

  27. #577
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Power Meter City's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    90
    Lots of rattlers where I am in southern California. I don't worry to much about them but definable keep an eye out, especially when on foot. I'll have to throw some pics up here later.
    PowerMeterCity.com
    www.powermetercity.com

  28. #578
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socal_jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    957
    Last week at Calavera on the way out, a young un. Seen more snakes this year than last 20 combined.

    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-wp_20160318_12_43_11_pro.jpg

  29. #579
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Last week at Calavera on the way out, a young un. Seen more snakes this year than last 20 combined.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160318_12_43_11_Pro.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	388.9 KB 
ID:	1065516
    That's far from, "a young un".

  30. #580
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,018
    Sounds like this dude saw a rattler today: Mountain biker bit by rattlesnake in forest north of Altadena
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  31. #581
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    927
    I think this is a red racer, but not sure...

    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-13139004_10154189107429628_5557632509223580105_n.jpg

  32. #582
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    I think this is a red racer, but not sure...
    That's pretty much like posting a Yugo in a Ferrari thread.

  33. #583
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    528
    This 30'' rattler was basking in the 68 degree 9 a.m. morning sun on Mother's day on the Boo Hoff trail in La Quinta, CA. It didn't move when I went around it. Sorry for the garbage I-phone picture.
    I had a pack of three Bighorn sheep cross my path a few yards away the week prior. I was too stunned to take pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  34. #584
    mtbr member
    Reputation: luvdabeach2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    546
    This one looked like he just gotten done eating, large midsection, and wasn't looking to bother any one. Unfortunately he was completely across the trail but a coupe handfuls of gravel got him moving.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

  35. #585
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    I think this is a red racer, but not sure...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13139004_10154189107429628_5557632509223580105_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1069147
    Yes, Red Racer, aka, Red Coachwhip.

  36. #586
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,320
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    I think this is a red racer, but not sure...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13139004_10154189107429628_5557632509223580105_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1069147
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    That's pretty much like posting a Yugo in a Ferrari thread.
    I think you've got that backwards.
    Have you ever seen a Red Racer move? They are the Ferrari of the snake world.
    Front Range, Colorado.

  37. #587
    CEB
    CEB is online now
    The beauty surrounds
    Reputation: CEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,235

    Snake was dining....

    Little bunny did not do well on Friday the 13th.....

    Who's run over a Rattler?  now that its snake season-img_1422.jpg

  38. #588
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    41
    I didnt know a rattler could fit a whole rabbit in its mouth! 0.0

  39. #589
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by btsjeff View Post
    I didnt know a rattler could fit a whole rabbit in its mouth! 0.0
    Most animals can compact to 50% of their normal girth. That's big rattler. There has been at least one other pic posted of a rattler eating a rabbit on this website this year.

  40. #590
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,277
    I watched a small garter snake get a bunny once. It had it but the bunny
    was too big for the snake to do anything with it.

  41. #591
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    I made a new friend this morning....

    Just your average, friendly rattler... Video - Pinkbike

  42. #592
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I made a new friend this morning....

    Just your average, friendly rattler... Video - Pinkbike
    He's pretty thin for being that long and old.

  43. #593
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    He's pretty thin for being that long and old.
    Are you talking about Hawg?
    Front Range, Colorado.

  44. #594
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,322
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Are you talking about Hawg?
    No, only you would know if Hawg is long or not. We don't have that type of relationship.

  45. #595
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrmattjohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I made a new friend this morning....

    Just your average, friendly rattler... Video - Pinkbike
    did you use a stick or did you just approach the snake to direct it off the trail?

  46. #596
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,388
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    did you use a stick or did you just approach the snake to direct it off the trail?
    Knelt down about 4 feet from it and stretched out my phone/camera to about 3 feet from it. It was calm so I wasn't too concerned.

    My bike wheels rolled by less than a foot from it and it didn't even flinch.

    I told it to get off the trail. Didn't you here me talking in the video?

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •