Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The whole Cannell Trail- First for the Season

734 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  scottyl 
#1 ·
Saw some bear tracks in the snow up high, but otherwise it was virgin. Very top to the very bottom DEFINITELY hadn't been ridden yet.

Don't plan on doing it without a lot of soft snow hike-a-bike crosstraining, but that makes the tacky dirt downhill all the sweeter.

Impressive downed trees X 3.

Bushes after Big Meadow a little rider-unfriendly at this point.

Winter gate closed 9.5 miles from the trailhead. Be resourceful and you won't have to pedal. We skitched behind some poacher Jeepers. Yessssssss.

The Class V Stout at the brewery provided a perfect finish.

Have fun!

#2 ·
By the way, mad props to the pseudo-Euro roadie/mt. bikers we passed that were pedalling the whole route as a loop from town. Our Jeep skitching manuever allowed us to weasel into pole position, which we maintained thanks to fine italian engineering. (Marzocchi 888's )...

#4 ·
our kernville crew did it sunday from big meadow, it was perfect....we did some work o
and made it so the few fallen trees from there are rideable....as we were on the plunge, we saw a fire start down the potato patch way....has anyone ridden down that way?????its very dry up there already......i have a few buddies on the forest service fire crew up there and they say the gate will open soon...

#5 ·
more trails

scottyl said:
....as we were on the plunge, we saw a fire start down the potato patch way....has anyone ridden down that way?????its very dry up there already......i have a few buddies on the forest service fire crew up there and they say the gate will open soon...
I've been on that potatoe patch trail. Back in the day, it was part of the original Cannell trail, but was access was closed down because of private property. there's a huge cattle ranch down there. The trail is super overgrown, and after a couple miles the trail disappears in a landslide. I guess there was a gigantic trail network all above the plunge area, but many of the trails stopped being used when access was shut down at potatoe patch trail and espcially at fay creek trail. We've found some sweet trails up there near upper fay creek and by some meadows - we definately plan to explore more this summer.

#6 ·
well as far as overgrown, there was a fire sundat that moved up that canyon...there has been quite a bit of mx activity on that trail recently too....i google earthed the area today and saw evidence of those old trails...let us know when yall come up to ride....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.