Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy View Post
    Total late notice but going to ride in the santa monicas in about an hour. up sully then ?? depending on mood... PM me if any interest I could leave later..
    really late notice...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy View Post
    Total late notice but going to ride in the santa monicas in about an hour. up sully then ?? depending on mood... PM me if any interest I could leave later..
    Dayuuuum. I would have liked to tag along..... I had just gotback to my truck when I got the reply......

Hit me up if you go again.

DD

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How about hummingbird and animal this Saturday at 9am?

pewpewpew Moderator
    I have Thursday Sept 29th off and am thinking Pt Mugu/Sycamore. Let me know if you want to join.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Riding limekiln canyon in porter ranch this saturday at 9 am (beginner's trail) and then to Hummingbird in Simi Valley right after that...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Sullivan Ridge to Canyon connector? (bottom of trail)

Figured I'd ask here rather than start a new thread...I know the below post is old but someone may know the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    Tonight - 8/21/2011 I'm looking for a ride in the Santa Monica area. Probably climb Sullivan Canyon or fireroad then descend the ridge.
    Sullivan Cyn and Ridge are my two favorite rides locally. But I really want to do the loop above but without riding all the way up Westridge from Sunset to get to the Sullivan Cyn entrance.

To make the long story short: I want to park near Bayliss, go up the cyn, come down the ridge, then connect to the cyn again and end up near Bayliss.

Is there a trail that connects the Ridge to the Canyon? I heard there is one that connects from the lower part of the Ridge (down a ways from road to Josepho camp). I think I did see a small single track entrance once near a telephone pole. How is it? Where do you end up once in Sullivan Canyon (near Bayliss? or way below it?)

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Any one want to run circles around rollercoaster in thousand oaks tomorrow at 515? I'm taking my friend who's kind of newbish. If you've never been there it's about a 15 minute loop but it's fun and like the name indicates, it's like a rollercoaster. It's a pretty good ride if you do 4 or more loops around it witch I intend to. It's also fun because you learn the lines like a motocross track. Pm me or post back here.
    If it's not one thing it's your mother

mtbr member
    Rollercoaster is shorter and far more boring then I remembered. Los Robles trail and space mountain are way more fun if your going to ride that area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WLAmtb View Post
    Is there a trail that connects the Ridge to the Canyon? I heard there is one that connects from the lower part of the Ridge (down a ways from road to Josepho camp). I think I did see a small single track entrance once near a telephone pole. How is it? Where do you end up once in Sullivan Canyon (near Bayliss? or way below it?)
    The trail you're describing, the one that starts off the lower part of Sullivan Ridge (pavement section) near the telephone pole, is exactly what you're looking for. It will drop you into Sullivan Canyon, less than a half-mile from the pavement incline that you climb back up to Queensferry/Bayliss. It's a short, fun singletrack, less than a half-mile long. What's it like? Drop in - immediate right-hand switchback - short, steep, loose section - few S-turns through a bowled out gully - navigate a deep, wide rut for about 20 yards - mellow bench cut trail for a bit - sharp, right-hand switchback followed by a sharp, exposed, left-hand switchback, then the final roll down into the canyon.

Another option is to park at Amalfi & Capri, climb the lower ridge, drop into Sullivan Canyon on the trail described above, climb up the canyon, and finally descend the ridge back to Amalfi & Capri.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the response and details!

mtbr member
    anybody want to ride near agoura, thousand oaks or malibu tomorrow? Im thinking 2pm or so. post or pm back. im open to pretty much anywhere near those locations. i was thinking backbone or chesebro. sycamore canyon anyone?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspinn View Post
    anybody want to ride near agoura, thousand oaks or malibu tomorrow? Im thinking 2pm or so. post or pm back. im open to pretty much anywhere near those locations. i was thinking backbone or chesebro. sycamore canyon anyone?
    AmbassadorHawg and I are riding backbone from Kanan-Dume at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow. Post here or send a PM if you'll be joining us.

mtbr member
    I wish I could. Saturday was my day. Ended up riding from the chesebro lot to china flat, up to simi peak and back down suicide. That was a pretty beasty ride for me. Going down suicide is just rough, even on my enduro sl.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    AmbassadorHawg and I are riding backbone from Kanan-Dume at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow. Post here or send a PM if you'll be joining us.
    A group of us are starting from Kanan at 9:30 AM. We're heading out to the Yerba Buena (Circle-X) trailhead and back - the same route you did with us a while ago. If you guys are headed in that direction, then I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point.

official eMpTyBRain

Backbone with 007

Here's a clip from our ride today. The trails are in great shape and dusty just like everywhere else...

...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

b a n n e d
    And what you DON'T see is me suckin' wind on the climbs . . . . at least I kinda look like a real biker on the downhill :thubmsup:

Thanks for posting!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    A group of us are starting from Kanan at 9:30 AM. We're heading out to the Yerba Buena (Circle-X) trailhead and back - the same route you did with us a while ago. If you guys are headed in that direction, then I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point.
    We definitely need to do that again! We had already planned to to head towards Corral canyon since I've never been that direction before. So far, both directions are very, very cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    We definitely need to do that again! We had already planned to to head towards Corral canyon since I've never been that direction before. So far, both directions are very, very cool.
    It was a fun ride today. 30 miles, almost entirely singletrack. Stellar views in all directions!

Happy to see that you guys had a fun ride, as well. Kanan to Corral is definitely a more "bang for your buck" ride, as the trail is so flowy and includes at least some technical features. The way we went offers a lot of miles on singletrack, but the fun factor is a bit lacking. Can't beat the views, though.

b a n n e d
    Yeah, I'm definitely not ready for a 30 mile ride yet. I'm still seriously lacking endurance

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    JimN: Did that ride yesterday (up Sullivan Cyn, down the ridge and its single tracks, down that crazy steep singletrack....on my Revel 2 lol [Thought MTB'ing would be a couple times a month thing since I have another main hobby, so went in clueless and went cheap ]. Seems to work fine for now as I hone my skills though. I'd rather beat this bike up real good and learn technique/trails first before investing. I figure my next bike will feel that much better if I put my time in

ambassadorhawg: Great vid! Which trailhead/road is best place to start if you want to have more climb at first, and more downhill as you go back? (I always prefer to climb first).

Anyone local & similar skill/speed that may want to ride sometime:
    Started back in April as a backup for my other sport. But lately I've been MTB'ing more since my other sport is best in mid-winter.
    To give you an idea of my climbing ability (or lack thereof)...
    a) Sullivan Cyn - can get to the very last/steep part w/o stopping now
    b) Sullivan Ridge - need to stop&walk the super steep area past the boy scout camp
    c) Guadalasca - can get to the last traversing part w/o stopping. Some stop&walk from there up to overlook
    *all slow though

As for downhill I've gotten to know Sullivan and Mugu trails pretty well. I figure I won't slow people down too much.... I hope.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anybody up for hummingbird trail in Simi Valley or Animal trail in the same place? they are both technical... hummingbird is longer and more flowy with a few switchbacks and two optional drops, a 2 footer and 5 footer (there are more but i've never done them yet)...

Animal is more technical with a two footer drop (can go around it) at the beginning... a fs dh bike is recommended for this one, but i've seen people on AM bikes on it... really fun trail and worth coming to simi valley for...

my tuesday riding buddy is on vacation this week and i really don't want to go at it alone...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by carspidey View Post
    anybody up for hummingbird trail in Simi Valley or Animal trail in the same place? they are both technical... hummingbird is longer and more flowy with a few switchbacks and two optional drops, a 2 footer and 5 footer (there are more but i've never done them yet)...

Animal is more technical with a two footer drop (can go around it) at the beginning... a fs dh bike is recommended for this one, but i've seen people on AM bikes on it... really fun trail and worth coming to simi valley for...

my tuesday riding buddy is on vacation this week and i really don't want to go at it alone...
    another guy i ride with is coming with me tomorrow to do HB... if anyone wants to join us just post here...

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by WLAmtb View Post
    JimN: Did that ride yesterday (up Sullivan Cyn, down the ridge and its single tracks, down that crazy steep singletrack....on my Revel 2 lol [Thought MTB'ing would be a couple times a month thing since I have another main hobby, so went in clueless and went cheap ]. Seems to work fine for now as I hone my skills though. I'd rather beat this bike up real good and learn technique/trails first before investing. I figure my next bike will feel that much better if I put my time in

ambassadorhawg: Great vid! Which trailhead/road is best place to start if you want to have more climb at first, and more downhill as you go back? (I always prefer to climb first).

Anyone local & similar skill/speed that may want to ride sometime:
    Started back in April as a backup for my other sport. But lately I've been MTB'ing more since my other sport is best in mid-winter.
    To give you an idea of my climbing ability (or lack thereof)...
    a) Sullivan Cyn - can get to the very last/steep part w/o stopping now
    b) Sullivan Ridge - need to stop&walk the super steep area past the boy scout camp
    c) Guadalasca - can get to the last traversing part w/o stopping. Some stop&walk from there up to overlook
    *all slow though

As for downhill I've gotten to know Sullivan and Mugu trails pretty well. I figure I won't slow people down too much.... I hope.
    The sections of the Backbone we rode yesterday are _ss kickers because you can't get the climbing out of the way. You climb some quite steep stuff for a few minutes and then drop into a new canyon, then another steep climb out for a few mins, then drop in again to the next one, and so on...

If you want to get in a good workout climb and then be rewarded for you hard work, I'd recommend Chesebro. I park right at the sign and take the "private" paved residential road up til it ends on a foreroad. Go straight on the fireroad through some oak groves and then you climb steadily for a few more miles. At the top, you can jump onto some ST and do a loop through China Flats. Then drop back down that fireroad for less than a mile and fork off to your left onto some sweet ST called "Sheep corral". If you make right turns at every intersection, you'll eventually get back to the upper parking lot and you're done....perfection!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    sweet vid, look like an awesome trail, and no horse poop to be seen!

Glad I'm not the only one using a contour these days.

Quote Originally Posted by carspidey View Post

Really want to try these, but I need to get my dh bike back and tuned up. Hopefully by the end of the month. How's the climbing on these? Or are you shuttling it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    sweet vid, look like an awesome trail, and no horse poop to be seen!

Glad I'm not the only one using a contour these days.

Really want to try these, but I need to get my dh bike back and tuned up. Hopefully by the end of the month. How's the climbing on these? Or are you shuttling it?
    we shuttle to rocky peak exit and then push our bikes about half a mile... i am always riding this place... so far i've only ridden this trails with two members of this forum... it seems like there are a bunch of people in the area but noone seems to like them that much...

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast