Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I'll be up there in mid July for a stretch. But I ain't taking no lifts. I like to earn my rides back down by grinding up to the top via man power (except for Exploration), lol.
    I, too, like to earn my ride back down. I work to earn the money with which to buy a lift ticket.

Seriously, though, occasionally it's fun to ride down without wearing yourself out first.

Having said the hat, I'm going riding ... Uphill ..TTFN

mtbr member
    I like to earn my rides back down by grinding up to the top via man power (except for Exploration), lol.
    ::cough:: July 23 ::cough::
    buzzes like a fridge

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    I'm planning to go to Snow Summit on Sunday the 5th and to spend the night. I'm planning to take the lift up and ride the XC trails like Pirate's and Fern and Skyline. I also want do spend some time in the skill builder area. Anyone else going to be up there?
    Bruce it's been years since I rode up there but I remember many incredible trails that didn't include the ski area. Venture away, go to a local bike shop and get a trail map. There is some incredible riding away from the resort. Get away from the crowds is what I'm all about.

Especially on the biggest holiday weekend of the year. Just say no to the resort area.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    ::cough:: July 23 ::cough::
    Wait, you guys are taking the lift to the top of Mammoth?!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Bruce it's been years since I rode up there but I remember many incredible trails that didn't include the ski area. Venture away, go to a local bike shop and get a trail map. There is some incredible riding away from the resort. Get away from the crowds is what I'm all about.

Especially on the biggest holiday weekend of the year. Just say no to the resort area.
    He's gonna ride Skyline which skirts the top of that range. It's one you are completely unfamiliar with and not a part of the resort so yes, Bruce will be venturing out.

He's gonna ride Skyline which skirts the top of that range. It's one you are completely unfamiliar with and not a part of the resort so yes, Bruce will be venturing out.
    I couldn't say for sure if I'm unfamiliar with Skyline. It's been so many years since I rode that area.
    Progress: Just because we have always done it that way is no reason to keep doing it that way.

b a n n e d
    Wait, you guys are taking the lift to the top of Mammoth?!
    Yup. Don't worry, we'll wait for you . . . might get in a couple runs while you pedal, but we'll eventually meet you up there
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Yup. Don't worry, we'll wait for you . . . might get in a couple runs while you pedal, but we'll eventually meet you up there
    I won't be pedaling, I will be pushing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I couldn't say for sure if I'm unfamiliar with Skyline. It's been so many years since I rode that area.
    Skyline is only a few years old, literally.

mtbr member

The "Who wants to ride?" thread

Anyone else able to do mt.pinos this Friday? Getting to the area around 9am
    If we get another car or atleast another person or two we can shuttle

I won't be pedaling, I will be pushing.
    It's a Mammoth of a climb.

members only
    Not sure if riding Mt. Pinos tomorrow (Sunday) jfudge02 might have gone camping. If anyone can ride tomorrow & willing to drive PM me.
    I ride solo 98% of the time

members only
    Quote Originally Posted by ET_SoCal View Post
    ... riding Mt. Pinos tomorrow ...
    jfudge02 and I are going tomorrow (Friday) + might be two others - If anyone else is interested in joining the group.

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009

Roll with the SCUMBAGS...

The "Who wants to ride?" thread-dethmotoii.jpg

Hello fellow SCUMBAGS, we have an exciting weekend planned for the 3rd and 4th of July, hope you can make it to some or all of what we have planned.

On the 3rd we have Coaster Brake Challenge 16 heat #1, more info for that can be found at atomiccycles.com

The next day for the 4th of July, we're going to ascend SCUMBAG Point in the Verdugo Mountains. This is a MTB ride of medium difficulty.

Meet at the corner of Glenoaks and Olive by the gas station in Burbank at 7:30 am we roll at 8:00 am.

After the ride we will re-locate to Paul's house where we will begin eating nitrate filled meat tubes (I'll make my rad humus for non-meat eating types) and most of you will be drinking of the beer, for this I have a keg I will provide. Food stuffs will be had for free too, if you want to bring something that is welcomed but not expected.

Once people are sufficiently sloshed, worn out, sun burned etc and the sun begins to peak below the horizon we will begin Deth-Moto II.

Deth-Moto rules are simple:

20" bmx bike on backyard track.

Ride.

You die. Or,

The bike dies.

Last one left is the winner.

30 second down time is equal to an out.

RSVP me for my address as I don't want the whole world showing up to my house, mess of friends would be nice though. Feel free to spread it around if you'd like as I can't get a hold of everyone I know. See you then!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Who's riding Mt. Pinos this Friday?

mtbr member
    I would be up for it

members only
    Who's riding Mt. Pinos this Friday?
    Quote Originally Posted by jfudge02 View Post
    I would be up for it
    I'm Up 4 IT

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Can you guys record some video footage of Mt. Pinos this time? I need to see what it's all about.

mtbr member
    Can you guys record some video footage of Mt. Pinos this time? I need to see what it's all about.
    I'd like to see that too!

Also, I've only ridden twice in the last month, I'm desperate for some riding time this weekend and Monday morning, I'm thinking on heading to el Pietro at some point, does anyone have other plans within about an hour of Hollywood?
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

mtbr member

If none of my friends are riding I'll probably just keep it local , unless someone else from long beach area wants to carpool.
    Edit: plus I just got this, and may take her to Telonics tomorrow

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Dang, that's a BEAST!

Big air time.

members only
    If none of my friends are riding I'll probably just keep it local...
    Good chance I'll ride up there tomorrow, weekends can be crowded @ Mt. Pinos. Sorry I don't have resources to record video, the first few hit video's on Youtube show shuttle/DH and they start at the top parking lot, I prefer to climb from McGill past the parking lot to the summit - then ride Down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I wanna see it from YOUR guy's POV, not somebody elses.

I wanna see it from YOUR guy's POV, not somebody elses.
    We don't always get what we ask for. Now go clean your room it's a filthy mess up there.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 06-18-2016 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Watched some youtube Mt. Pinos.

Reminds me of Mt. Charleston in Southern NV and that little downhill section of SART in Angelus Oaks.

It's also not unlike Monroe Truck Trail in Glendora (smooth, continuous downhill blast) so if you guys wanna save on gas and travel time, try that one if you have not. Plus, the rock garden creek bed at the bottom adds some spice to that ride. Shuttle it 2-3 times to get your fill. It's a 7+ mile ride down to the bottom.

mtbr member
    I just looked that up on mtbproject and it looks like fun hawg, I think I'm gonna head out there Monday morning from Hollywood, I've got a spot for a second bike if anyone wants to join me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidfs View Post
    I just looked that up on mtbproject and it looks like fun hawg, I think I'm gonna head out there Monday morning from Hollywood, I've got a spot for a second bike if anyone wants to join me.
    Weekdays are a great time for MTT because it's generally empty so you can blast down with few if any encounters with hikers/bikers coming up the trail. It's also a great climb up for those who like the grind.

I'd gladly join you if I didn't have to work in the morning.

members only
    ... not unlike Monroe Truck Trail...
    Although I've never ridden Monroe Truck Trail - from the video's I watched, it doesn't have the pines or same type of dirt, although most of the Pinos trail system is non-technical and flowy only Harvest trail has any rock gardens.

I'm still looking for those interested in going up there during the week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Although I've never ridden Monroe Truck Trail - from the video's I watched, it doesn't have the pines or same type of dirt, although most of the Pinos trail system is non-technical and flowy only Harvest trail has any rock gardens.

I'm still looking for those interested in going up there during the week.
    Yes, true. It's more chaparrall type terrain with more exposure in some of the sections. Lower elevation. But if you subtract the visual aspect, it's basically the same, and closer to home which is a big bonus for crazy busy people such as myself.

members only
    ...closer to home ...
    For myself Pinos is only 10 more miles away in distance but 100 times less traffic and driving time. (Well not 100 times, but a lot)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    For myself Pinos is only 10 more miles away in distance but 100 times less traffic and driving time. (Well not 100 times, but a lot)
    Not if you leave at the crack of dawn. It's a ghost town on the way to either location because traffic is coming in from the other direction (except for one section of the 210 where there is construction under way).

Google Maps says that Mt. Pinos is 91 miles from Simi, and that MTT is 66 miles from Simi. Do your car a favor and stop taking it up that nasty grade on I-5, you're gonna kill it. MTT is so much closer and so much easier on your car. Plus, you'll be hooked once you ride it.

mtbr member

Mtt looks fun, and I think since I do Marshall canyon regularly it's very close to that so I will try it.. But the two rides, to me, seem completely different lol... On one , soft dirt and banked corners through shade and pretty much the ability to remove both brakes from the bike. The other seems sandy/gritty and hard, with no shade, lots of flat corners and many areas where speed checking or wings may be in order

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Mtt looks fun, and I think since I do Marshall canyon regularly it's very close to that so I will try it.. But the two rides, to me, seem completely different lol... On one , soft dirt and banked corners through shade and pretty much the ability to remove both brakes from the bike. The other seems sandy/gritty and hard, with no shade, lots of flat corners and many areas where speed checking or wings may be in order
    So what you're saying is that MTT requires more talent?

mtbr member

well it certainly incorporates more risk (and not necessarily skill just penalty for failure). I ****ing hate flat sandy corners esp when I just wanna go fast, and esp in new areas where I want to push limits right away

Not sure if you've noticed but my thermo reads 106. I'm not about to ride in desert conditions haha

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^Well, that's why you shuttle it (again and again). Go down semi-cautiously the first time to learn the route. Then on the second pass, let 'er rip.

I saw the dusty loose stuff disintegrated pine needle dirt on Mt. Pinos in the videos. Big bear has the same thing. It's easily as dangerous as DG.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey guys. 31 year old, Carlsbad resident here. I would say I am an intermediate rider. I also do enduro riding and supermoto riding, so I'm pretty comfortable on two wheels in the dirt.

Looking to ride really whenever. After work works for me, but ideally I would like early morning ride (sunrise). Also interested in trail maintenance, trail building, ect. I just wanna get out there and meet new people who are into the same things I am.

PM me, I'll be checking here regularly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Man, no one?

members only
    Rode Mt Pinos last week - Typical late summer with warm temp's and dry pine starting at McGill trail, a few flowers still in appearance on Harvest & NorthRidge. Only took 3 pictures, this one is almost at condor view area at very top with few trees and everything is still green;

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iCapture View Post
    Hey guys. 31 year old, Carlsbad resident here. I would say I am an intermediate rider. I also do enduro riding and supermoto riding, so I'm pretty comfortable on two wheels in the dirt.

Looking to ride really whenever. After work works for me, but ideally I would like early morning ride (sunrise). Also interested in trail maintenance, trail building, ect. I just wanna get out there and meet new people who are into the same things I am.

PM me, I'll be checking here regularly.
    Calavera is right by u. That's a fun and busy place to ride on the weekends. Elfin Forest is also fun but rocky. Daley Ranch in Escondido is an awesome ride. Call your local bike shops. They do group rides. Ride Cyclery does one Sat mornings at Calavera. Also hit up SDMBA. They do group rides and trail maintenance days. If u want to ride Temecula/Murrieta where I live, hit me up. Lots of great riding up here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Saturday morning group ride, Idyllwild, 8am at the Hub bike store there. Great trails, beat the heat! You can google it for a map. A little ways from carlsbad but worth it!!

mtbr member
    Anybody know anything about Kernville and Just outstanding right now? Im thinking of hitting it while were up there either Wed or Thurs if anyone wants to join. My wife will probably have to shuttle and i have room for a couple more. Dont know if the fire messed up the trail at all so any help from locals is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightops View Post
    Anybody know anything about Kernville and Just outstanding right now? Im thinking of hitting it while were up there either Wed or Thurs if anyone wants to join. My wife will probably have to shuttle and i have room for a couple more. Dont know if the fire messed up the trail at all so any help from locals is appreciated!
    Check with John at Mountain River Adventures. He is the owner and the is the one who puts on the Kernville Fat tire Festival/Shuttle Fest in October. He can give u all the info u need.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Thought I'd toss a ride out there. I'm riding Saturday at 0630AM in the Santa Monicas. Plan is to start at Caballero Canyon on Reseda, climb Caballero, then go hit Jedi. At the bottom of Jedi either head back up Sullivan Ridge or maybe up Sullivan canyon, then down Hectic or Cookies to the cars. Should be less than 3 hours all-in. Let me know if you're interested.

Rob

mtbr member
    Interested, I don't know where that first trail is, I normally ride out of Sullivan canyon can you send me a PM?

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920