Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
    banned
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Cabellero Canyon is fine for riding. Yup, lots of hikers, especially on the weekends. Done it several times. Say "hello" and "good morning" to the people you see out there and there is no problem...everyone is usually pretty friendly.

We use it as our connector to get up to the Hub, then over to Backbone and Sullivan Canyon.

I do a lot of fire road riding as well, but there is nothing wrong with Cabellero Canyon.
    Obviously evaluation of trails is highly subjective but I didn't like thousands of large roundish rocks in the slim trail with high foot traffic. Wasn't fun at all but like I said ok for hiking. Maybe it gets better if/when it opens up after 20 mins into it.

btw, what's the deal with that nearby neighborhood with gates and 20 fountains? seems super high-end...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asookazian View Post
    Obviously evaluation of trails is highly subjective but I didn't like thousands of large roundish rocks in the slim trail with high foot traffic. Wasn't fun at all but like I said ok for hiking. Maybe it gets better if/when it opens up after 20 mins into it.

btw, what's the deal with that nearby neighborhood with gates and 20 fountains? seems super high-end...
    The rounded rocks are called baby heads. It adds character to the ride. Consider it an obstacle course. Consider the crowds of hikers the same way. It's fairly dead there on weekends. There's a trail up near the top of Cab called Bent Arrow. That one would probably scare you to death.

banned
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    The rounded rocks are called baby heads. It adds character to the ride. Consider it an obstacle course. Consider the crowds of hikers the same way. It's fairly dead there on weekends. There's a trail up near the top of Cab called Bent Arrow. That one would probably scare you to death.
    that's cute. I consider it a pain in the ass and there were plenty of everything last Sunday around 7:30am trust me. dogs, hikers, bikers, you name it.

if you say so, it must be pretty scary. so it must be i'm already unhappy by the time I get up to Verdugo Peak (which is apparently illogical) b/c I know I will be zooming down from 3000 ft altitude too fast even though I try to brake a lot to slow down. Too much weight/pressure on the wrists...

banned
    Mar 2015
    Actually it would be a lot better for my knees if I could simply climb to peak and then teleport home and shower. Most of you guys look forward to the "thrill" of the downhills but I don't. More of a necessary evil.

mtbr member
    Most of you guys look forward to the "thrill" of the downhills but I don't. More of a necessary evil.
    Then you would hate the Cannell Plunge, and I do mean PLUNGE.

banned
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Then you would hate the Cannell Plunge, and I do mean PLUNGE.
    Cannell Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Kernville, California

Yep, that's out of my league 100%. Looks full satanic. Dead bodies littered everywhere.

I've been up to ~5000 ft (Mt Lukens) on foot, that's high enough for me. This is almost double.

I found out recently that the Gojira bassist is a mtn biker. French Alps.

Insane Video Footage of Gojira's Jean-Michel Labadie Ripping Through the French Alps on a Mountain Bike - MetalSucks

mtbr member
    asookazian is right - Cab is the worst. Honestly, I don't even like mountain biking. Trails are the worst...all that dirt. YUCK.

mtbr member
    Actually it would be a lot better for my knees if I could simply climb to peak and then teleport home and shower. Most of you guys look forward to the "thrill" of the downhills but I don't. More of a necessary evil.
    we must be married because I feel the exact opposite.

mtbr member
    "asookazian is right - Cab is the worst. Honestly, I don't even like mountain biking. Trails are the worst...all that dirt. YUCK."

"we must be married because I feel the exact opposite."

mtbr member
    Cannell Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Kernville, California

Yep, that's out of my league 100%. Looks full satanic. Dead bodies littered everywhere.

I've been up to ~5000 ft (Mt Lukens) on foot, that's high enough for me. This is almost double.

I found out recently that the Gojira bassist is a mtn biker. French Alps.

Insane Video Footage of Gojira's Jean-Michel Labadie Ripping Through the French Alps on a Mountain Bike - MetalSucks
    Not the entire trail (although it is incredible), I'm specifically talking about the Plunge portion of Cannell (8 miles of down hill with a 5000' drop). If you wanna hear your brakes cry like a little baby, that's the place to hear them do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    asookazian is right - Cab is the worst. Honestly, I don't even like mountain biking. Trails are the worst...all that dirt. YUCK.
    May I recommend road riding. Maybe golf. Metal detecting. Armchair quarterbacking. Mall walking (shop for a new skirt).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    May I recommend road riding. Maybe golf. Metal detecting. Armchair quarterbacking. Mall walking (shop for a new skirt).

Sounds like a sweet vacation to Hawaii, to me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone going out today, south OC area? I am in Irvine, could either do Oaks, or drive down to Aliso/Laguna... A random day off should never go to waste by sitting on the couch!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone interested in shuttling something on the 4th?

mtbr member
    I'm in San Elijo Hills and I'll be here all week. I'm going to rent a bike from the trek shop today (unless someone has a better suggestion) and will be riding Elfin forest and trails somewhat close to me in North County (again, unless someone has a suggestion within an hour drive that is a MUST ride).

Let me know if you're interested in showing an intermediate rider some of the local trails this week.

mtbr member
    There are lots of good rides right in your area. The Equine Incline atop Elfin Forest is a blast. Daley Ranch is in Escondido ands has it all...lots of clinbing, roads, single track, doubletrack, switchbacks...pretty much our go-to location. there is also Hodges which is easier, and Calaveras, which I've yet to ride. A little south are Black mtn and PQ...Penasquitos Canyon, and the Del Mar Mesa reserve.
    A must ride would be Noble Canyon which an hour+ east of here. best done with a shuttle and I'm willing to join in.
    Gene

mtbr member
    Just moved to Pasadena. Anybody riding on the Mt. Wilson area and are familiar with some XC trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEROUNO View Post
    Just moved to Pasadena. Anybody riding on the Mt. Wilson area and are familiar with some XC trails?
    Welcome! The San Gabriels just above Pasa/Altadena has some great riding, though not a ton of pure XC. Many of the single track descents in the area are either steep, techy, exposed, or all of the above.

That said, I'd start out at the "JPL lot" (which is actually adjacent to the actual JPL parking lot) and ride up Brown Mtn.. Fire road up and down, which turns to ST the higher you go.

There's also Monroe Truck Trail out of Glendora, which is super fun.

Hawg can also point you in the direction of some stuff to the west, more toward La Crescenta.

banned
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEROUNO View Post
    There are some decent fire road trails I ride regularly in Verdugos (it's about 15 miles from pasadena: 8000 la tuna canyon road, sun valley). so that's hostetter fire road and you can descend beaudry or whiting woods (steep and steeper) or even brand park (glendale) and burbank but last 2 I haven't tried.

The entire loop from my house in montrose area and back via streets/hostetter/beaudry is ~15 miles. 3000' elevation at verdugo peak. Hostetter up/down is 7.5 miles.

In Verdugos, we have at least one mtn lion (P-41) but no bears afaik.

Cherry Canyon is near as well but I haven't tried that one yet (seems to be popular, LBS guys go there).

banned
    Mar 2015
    Oh, btw, I have a very poor reputation, so don't listen to me.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!
    I gonna try this weekend.

Last time I choose the wrong trail to Mt. Wilson from Altadena and was an horrible morning... like a downhill trail and I was with an hardtail mtb

mtbr member
    May 2009
    last minute notice here, but im gonna ride the Luge trail in Mission Viejo tomorrow morning around 9am. If anyone's down to ride private message me.

mtbr member
    very last minute, but riding hodges @ sunset around 2pm today. I am free for a 1 hour ride only though. Let me know if you want to ride. Kinda out of shape as i just moved houses and had to handle some personal issues. But still should be fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just moved to anaheim. Anyone wanna show me around? looking for some technical trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
    I just moved to anaheim. Anyone wanna show me around? looking for some technical trails.
    If you don't mind dawn patrol start, I can docent in the Santa Anas. It's not the closest trail system to you, but there are a few fun classics with some challenge, in an aesthetic setting with light or nonexistent user traffic.

I'd opt for something on the shorter side, 10-15 miles with a 5-7 mi climb. It will feel like more. Holler...

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
    fullerton right next door has a trail going through it called the fullerton loop. pretty tame 13 miles but there are a few tech areas and jumps built into the side of the trail. message me if u are interested in riding

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just moved to the Dana Point area from Maine and am new to mountain biking- I come from a road background but can't wait to dive into MTB. I'll be available pretty much any day any time after Thursday for the next few weeks and know virtually nothing about the area (other than some digging around online). All I really have right now is an old HT Stumpy M2 and motivation to ride and get a feel for my bike and the terrain. If anyone wants to drag a total noob around sometime, let me know

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dernst View Post
    I just moved to the Dana Point area from Maine and am new to mountain biking- I come from a road background but can't wait to dive into MTB. I'll be available pretty much any day any time after Thursday for the next few weeks and know virtually nothing about the area (other than some digging around online). All I really have right now is an old HT Stumpy M2 and motivation to ride and get a feel for my bike and the terrain. If anyone wants to drag a total noob around sometime, let me know
    This weekend, Sat or Sun starting early near Rancho Santa Margarita? Let me know and I'll PM ya. Cheers...

mtbr member
    RSM! Haha

I'm near Cook's Corner. I mainly ride STT/Luge/Old Camp out of convenience. But my local rotation includes Whiting Ranch, O'neill, Aliso, El Moro and Santiago Oaks.

Currently my only time to ride is at the butt crack of dawn on the weekends. So usually pedalling from my driveway at 6:30am or at a trail head by 7:00am.

For reference, my cooks/stt/luge loop is just over an hour. 2hr 15mins to get up to old camp and down. I don't mind going slower, but I can't help ya if you need me to go faster... =)

jr

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm on corner of SM Parkway and Melinda. Alicia Parkway gate to O'Neil is less than a mile away from my house. I do the STT/Luge in a bit over an hour, and I need a few breaks on the way up. Usually do it as a night ride. I work six days a week and only have night time and Sundays to ride. I have hit up all the places you mentioned. I am not usually up anytime close to dawn, especially on Sunday. I have hit up O'Neil around 7am on a weekday, some days I don't start work till 10Am. Yesterday I did a rode ride from San Juan Capistrano to Las Pulgas and 5 fwy and back to SJC. I started a little after 7pm and got back to my car around 10pm. The heat was a factor for late start time. Are you on geoladders?

Randal

Quote Originally Posted by jr711 View Post
    RSM! Haha

I'm near Cook's Corner. I mainly ride STT/Luge/Old Camp out of convenience. But my local rotation includes Whiting Ranch, O'neill, Aliso, El Moro and Santiago Oaks.

Currently my only time to ride is at the butt crack of dawn on the weekends. So usually pedalling from my driveway at 6:30am or at a trail head by 7:00am.

For reference, my cooks/stt/luge loop is just over an hour. 2hr 15mins to get up to old camp and down. I don't mind going slower, but I can't help ya if you need me to go faster... =)

jr

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If ya wants to plunder some Orange County goods this weekend and can get to the TH in the dark, pipe up. A long ridge: Bell, Los Pinos, Skinsuit or Coldwater. Advanced technical and endurance. Sat or Sun. Possible shuttle to mitigate the brutality of Los P. The only absolutes are starting early and having fun. You don't have to clean every inch, just have dismounting skills, endurance, and a good attitude.
    Last edited by She&I; 08-18-2015 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member
    i am riding hodges today around 1:45pm. It can only be a 10-12 mile ride as i have to get my kids for the sitter at 3:30pm. Let me know if you are interested. Still kinda out of shape, but still love to ride.

mtbr member
    Riding Saturday and Sunday night. Start about an hour Before Sunset. Ride till about 1030. North sandiego. Inland

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ride in Santa Monica on Tuesday Nights around 530/6pm. Ride up Westridge and down Sullivan Canyon. Hopefully if I get a new job these will be my last few weeks riding in SM. I'm also available Friday mornings in the OC and on the weekends if you want to ride.

You can also post your rides on my facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalmtnbikers/

mtbr member
    Noob here in laguna niguel. Picked up a 2015 trek remedy 7. Been riding san clemente single tracks with couple of friends so far. I seem to want to ride more then them, so looking for anyone in the area that wants to ride with a new guy. Haven't been on any other trails. Weekdays I usually can ride after 230pm and weekends I'm free all day. I'm 31 years old, respectful, and willing to learn and take any advice you guys can offer. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lopey949 View Post
    Noob here in laguna niguel. Picked up a 2015 trek remedy 7. Been riding san clemente single tracks with couple of friends so far. I seem to want to ride more then them, so looking for anyone in the area that wants to ride with a new guy. Haven't been on any other trails. Weekdays I usually can ride after 230pm and weekends I'm free all day. I'm 31 years old, respectful, and willing to learn and take any advice you guys can offer. Thanks
    I'm in Lake Forest/Trabuco Canyon. I mainly ride STT/Luge/Old Camp, Whiting, Aliso and El Moro. I mostly ride early mornings on the weekends to get back to family. I will probably start a weekly night ride during the weekdays on STT/Luge.

You're more than welcome to join my rides

jr

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hey, I just moved to the area. I'm living in Woodland Hills. I don't know any riders in the area, who wants to ride??!! I consider myself intermediate. Mon-fri I'm not free till after 4pm. Weekends I can make anytime work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pmrmusic26 View Post
    Hey, I just moved to the area. I'm living in Woodland Hills. I don't know any riders in the area, who wants to ride??!! I consider myself intermediate. Mon-fri I'm not free till after 4pm. Weekends I can make anytime work.
    I'm out near you and try to get out once a week on the weekends. I'd be happy to meet up with you for a ride. Are you already familiar with the trails in the area?

I'm out of town this weekend but will around most of the others in the next few months. Hit me up with a PM if you want to hook up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm considering riding tomorrow morning or Sunday morning, maybe bulldog-backbone loop in Malibu Creek State Park, or Cheeseboro. I was going to go bike packing by Big Bear, but I'm so exhausted after a busy week of work I am thinking I'm too lazy to drive anywhere cool. PM me if you want to ride. I was really good, but gained some weight and now consider myself intermediate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Recently moved to Mission Viejo and just learning about the trails. I'm an advanced beginner/intermediate rider and looking for some folks to ride with locally. I'll probably have to build up my endurance a bit as I've been traveling a lot for work and not riding as much as I'd like. I'm close to Whiting, Riley, and O'Neil and pretty flexible on MW and weekends for riding. Hit me up if you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    Recently moved to Mission Viejo and just learning about the trails. I'm an advanced beginner/intermediate rider and looking for some folks to ride with locally. I'll probably have to build up my endurance a bit as I've been traveling a lot for work and not riding as much as I'd like. I'm close to Whiting, Riley, and O'Neil and pretty flexible on MW and weekends for riding. Hit me up if you want to ride.
    I'm in Costa Mesa and I like to ride for about an hour to two hours usually. I prefer to ride early am on weekends. Single track preferred.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by K2BEASTIN View Post
    I'm in Costa Mesa and I like to ride for about an hour to two hours usually. I prefer to ride early am on weekends. Single track preferred.
    A couple of us are riding Whiting Ranch this Sat., 10/17, at 7:30 a.m. If you (or others) want to join us just send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Met up with drich and lopey at whiting today. Great meeting you guys. Hit me up anytime. I'll join when I can. Sorry had to take off today. Had pumpkin patch plans with the family. =)

jr

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711 View Post
    Met up with drich and lopey at whiting today. Great meeting you guys. Hit me up anytime. I'll join when I can. Sorry had to take off today. Had pumpkin patch plans with the family. =)

jr
    Good to meet everyone yesterday. Tough uphill, but definitely worth it for the long downhill! Looking forward to the next ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hi everyone,

I live in Van Nuys, close to Studio City and Woodland Hills (Los Angeles area) I have one year living here but never tried the trails, I can say I'm intermediate, ride for fun or die, no problem going up the trophy is the way down, looking to meet a crew or someone to know the nice trails around here.

Weekends I'm free all day so its easier for me ride.

Send a message, I'm dying for hit some trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'll be riding at Riley Park tomorrow (Wednesday) if anyone wants to join you can send me a PM. It's a fun 3-3.5 mile loop, with some short slightly technical ascents and a few fun downhills. I'll be doing the loop twice and you can knock out a couple of loops in under an hour. I'll probably be going in the morning around 7:30, but could also go in the late afternoon around 5:30-6.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    I'll be riding at Riley Park tomorrow (Wednesday) if anyone wants to join you can send me a PM. It's a fun 3-3.5 mile loop, with some short slightly technical ascents and a few fun downhills. I'll be doing the loop twice and you can knock out a couple of loops in under an hour. I'll probably be going in the morning around 7:30, but could also go in the late afternoon around 5:30-6.
    Address for Riley Wilderness Park:

27276-27298 S Bend Rd
    Coto de Caza, CA 92679

Park by the trail with a pass/purchasing a pass, or there are some places at a park across the street for free.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Riding at Whiting on Sunday at 7:30 a.m. Send a pm or post if you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    If you haven't decided on a ride put this on your list for Nov 8th. I have never ridden there...I'd say come out for fun and run the race.

Enduro - SoCal Endurance

mtbr member
    I live in Aliso Viejo and am looking for people to ride with locally that would also like to go on some longer trips eventually (Downieville, OR, AZ, Kernville, Tahoe, CO, etc).

I'm mid-30's with a professional job that requires I come into work in one piece, so I won't be hucking myself on any 20' gaps. That being said, I do enjoy some good aggressive trail riding. I like to climb, but I like to descend more. I'm also up for some good XC singletrack. Riding is one of the few things I do that helps me de-stress from work and not be in my head.

As far as personality, I'm respectful (including with peoples stuff), like to have a good time and always up for some lively banter in the spirit of fun. If it matters, I am drug-free but I do enjoy alcohol now and then.

My local rides are typically around 10-20 miles and up to around 3k feet of climbing. I work M-F, so riding is typically morning on weekends (start anytime between 6am-9am). I might also start doing Wednesday night rides.

Feel free to PM if you're interested.