Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast
    mtbr member
    riding PQ thursday morning... hoping to be at the ball park entrance around 8:30am. It all depends on if my buddy can ride or not for the start time. His bike is busted pretty bad but may ride an old bike. If anyone is interested let me know!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Looks like I'll (and some friends) be out at Hodges again today around 11:45(ish). I enter the trails from Poblado.

mtbr member
    Riding hodges today with a friend. Starting off by the parking lot entrance to the boat dock gates. (midway point between hernandez hideaway and the boat docks if that makes sense.) Should be a quick short ride, maybe 6-7 miles. Ride should start around 11:45am.

mtbr member
    change of plans for tomorrow. Was going to ride PQ tomorrow morning, looks like my morning got cut up a little bit, Going to ride daley ranch in the AM. Let me know if anyone wants to ride. Start time somewhat flexible as long as it starts before 10am.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sunday the 22nd I will hit either Bonelli or Marshall early. Looking to get in around 3 to 4,000 feet gain in so if you like to climb, hit me up. Nice easy pace. Plan to be in the dirt by 0730 and out by 11. I could also be talked into Wrightwood Jackson Lake / Blue Ridge Loop as an option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Southern California is a big state. Does it make sense to have area-specific trailhead threads? A subforum? As is, this thread is a bit of a catch-all, and a brief perusal reveals that it appears to be mostly talking about trails, rather than being a mechanism for organizing rides.

I would use a county-specific trailhead thread for OC rides which I lead regularly.

Any merit to this thinking?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Southern California is a big state. Does it make sense to have area-specific trailhead threads? A subforum? As is, this thread is a bit of a catch-all, and a brief perusal reveals that it appears to be mostly talking about trails, rather than being a mechanism for organizing rides.

I would use a county-specific trailhead thread for OC rides which I lead regularly.

Any merit to this thinking?
    I think you're on to something, but I wonder how you'd split it. Two subforums with LA/Ventura/Santa Barbara County and OC/SD/San Bernardino County might make sense. Of course there's some overlap, but I think it's better than doing it by individual county.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I think you're on to something, but I wonder how you'd split it. Two subforums with LA/Ventura/Santa Barbara County and OC/SD/San Bernardino County might make sense. Of course there's some overlap, but I think it's better than doing it by individual county.
    Thanks for the input, krag.

A simple way is to have a Let's Ride subforum, in which a ride leader posts a ride as a new topic. No wading thru multiple conversations to keep tabs on your forming group, and a handy place to post a post mortem and trail conditions.

mtbr member
    i think it might be more applicable if we had more action in this thread, however rarely anyone actually posts for a meet up. However maybe more people would post if there were sub-forums? Its really hard to tell.

mtbr member
    That's true too. People find riding buds here, then arrange rides via other means.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm with you, mrmatt. Unless it's a difficult task, why not?...

I see a Rides subforum as a useful data base of socal trails; when ridden, what conditions, etc. Others could potentially use it to help plan their own rides.

Edited to add:

Right on, mrmatt, participation is the key to it being useful. I've seen it successfully implemented on a smaller scale, so I think it would fly here.

I'm willing to share, and I hope others would; I need to see more of SoCal. Could be a nice tool for visiting riders.

mtbr member
    I agree having a sub forum and topics being group rides only. Having one topic to just randomly post is difficult to get everything or everyone together.

It works very well on other forums (motorcycle) i'm on.

That way we could just scroll through threads that have dates and areas instead of scrolling through all kinds of posts out of order.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Why not just create a thread for each ride you are planning/organizing here in the SoCal Section?

Example:

Title:
    Group Ride at Nobel Canyon 06.01.2015 - Sign up inside

Body:
    Just have all the specifics of when and where you are meeting up, will it be shuttle or ride up, details, details, etc.

And then when you are ready to plan you next ride create a new Thread for that.

Getting riders together is part of the reason we have Locality forums.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for weighing in, and for the PM, Klure.

I think it can work as you describe. But I think it can work better as a resource if a person doesn't have to weed through dozens of general wide-ranging topics.

FWIW, I would contribute to a resource center that contained subfolders for Rides, Reports and Conditions. I'm not so interested in the general banter. Maybe my vision is self serving; maybe there are others like me who don't care to beat gums and want to ride hard, and they want a place where they can get to the nuts and bolts of that. And it would free up space for the general topics, which, as is, share space with a bunch of stickies.

That thread you put together on area resources is a great addition to this forum. I think the forum can go farther, though. I personally invite you to join me on the first ride I post in the new Rides folder, Doctor Klure. 😎👍

Cheers...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If anyone wants to ride in Santa Monica Tuesday nights I and a few friends meet @530 and ride up to Westridge to the Nike Missile base. We switch up the decent.

We meet at the 2XU store in Santa Monica. The address is 1512 Montana Ave. Across from the citibank. If you have any questions feel free to email me. acruz13@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Riding Crystal Cove/Laguna Coast Wilderness Park today (Monday, May 11th) from Ridge Park @ 4pm. Probably 10-15 miles total. I can hold my own on the DH, but really slow on the climbs (usually takes me about 25 minutes to climb 'I Think I Can' for reference)

Email if interested: southswell2002@gmail.com

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Riding Tuesday at 530 in the Santa Monica Mountains. About a 20 mile loop.
    We meet at 1512 Montana Ave in Santa Monica or you can meet us around 630 at the trailhead. Mandeville Canyon Rd. send me a message if you want more infor.
    acruz13@gmail.com
    thanks
    Alex

Bannėd
    Next Saturday is my 34th birthday and I ride alone 99% of the time. I took Friday, 6/5 off so I can ride and have fun. I found out yesterday that I need some (more) skin removed due to cancer cells and want to take a ride to forget about that. Who's in?

mtbr member
    I would go if I wasn't working. Good luck on the procedure. I'm sure it'll come out ok.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Why not just create a thread for each ride you are planning/organizing here in the SoCal Section?

Example:

Title:
    Group Ride at Nobel Canyon 06.01.2015 - Sign up inside

Body:
    Just have all the specifics of when and where you are meeting up, will it be shuttle or ride up, details, details, etc.

And then when you are ready to plan you next ride create a new Thread for that.

Getting riders together is part of the reason we have Locality forums.
    So is this big group ride at Noble on Monday still on?
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-31-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So is this big group ride at Noble on Monday still on?
    The problem with that idea above is no one will be subscribed to the new thread and therefore won't know about it unless they go look for a new thread. The way it is currently, u just subscribe to this thread and u r notified when there is a new post, (a ride). I like the current way myself.
    P.S. I can't make the Noble ride. It's too far and I'm working.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I started a new group on FB. I think it will be easier to post rides for local so cal rides

https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalmtnbikers/

mtbr member
    Unless you don't have face book like me.. 😢

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Or me.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    Next Saturday is my 34th birthday and I ride alone 99% of the time. I took Friday, 6/5 off so I can ride and have fun. I found out yesterday that I need some (more) skin removed due to cancer cells and want to take a ride to forget about that. Who's in?
    I wish i could make it but I am buried in work until Sunday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Trevor, where are you riding on Friday. I will be at Snow Summit riding solo...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I wish i could make it but I am buried in work until Sunday.
    Skip work for a day, you know you can and you want to.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Bannėd
    Quote Originally Posted by N518LF View Post
    Trevor, where are you riding on Friday. I will be at Snow Summit riding solo...
    Unfortunately I injured my back pretty bad on Sunday (helping to unload a golf cart from a pickup of all things. Damn ramp slipped out and all the weight that ramp was holding fell into my grasp).

Thanks for reaching out, I would have taken you up on that, haven't ridden summit since 2013 and have been itching to go. My original plan was San Juan trail and had a friend lined up to ride with me but he bailed hence my post Saturday.

DJ - Hawg and I have spoken over text, I know he would be good for it if he could've pulled it off.

When I do heal up I would like to start getting some rides together and hit up the more out there places I prefer not to ride alone so I will post up when I'm ready. Hopefully just another week off the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Trevor, sorry to hear about the added stress of a back injury. I have a saying. Things always work out in the end, so if they aren't working out now don't worry- it's not the end yet... I wish you all the best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Anybody gonna be at Summit tomorrow Sunday 6/7? Will be riding solo half day if anyone wants to meetup for a run or two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm looking for anyone that would like to join me on a little Carrizo Gorge exploring. From what I read as of March, 2015 the tracks are still not in use. If anyone has any recent experience there, please fill me in on anything I should know.

If you aren't aware of this area, here's a little info on it: Carrizo Gorge

Otherwise, I'm looking to do this on Sunday, June 14th; leaving San Diego area early, around 7:00AM. I can drive us up there or meet you there.

I'm a former Cat. 2 roadie and Expert MTB'er and now I'm 10 years older and 15 lbs. overweight....lol, so it's not going to be a crazy pace....really interested in taking the Go-Pro and also getting some cool pictures.

Let me know if you wanna join!

banned
    Mar 2015
    Anybody ride La Tuna Canyon (Hostetter Fire Road in Sun Valley near southland nursery)? I usually go there once a week or so about 7.5 miles RT.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by asookazian View Post
    Anybody ride La Tuna Canyon (Hostetter Fire Road in Sun Valley near southland nursery)? I usually go there once a week or so about 7.5 miles RT.
    Just up and then back down Hostetter?

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    Unfortunately I injured my back pretty bad on Sunday (helping to unload a golf cart from a pickup of all things. Damn ramp slipped out and all the weight that ramp was holding fell into my grasp).

Thanks for reaching out, I would have taken you up on that, haven't ridden summit since 2013 and have been itching to go. My original plan was San Juan trail and had a friend lined up to ride with me but he bailed hence my post Saturday.

DJ - Hawg and I have spoken over text, I know he would be good for it if he could've pulled it off.

When I do heal up I would like to start getting some rides together and hit up the more out there places I prefer not to ride alone so I will post up when I'm ready. Hopefully just another week off the bike.
    A bit late to the party with this post. But yes I know Hawg would have been there if work didn't interfere. I don't even think his wife can coax him away from riding.
    ---------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

banned
    Mar 2015
    Just up and then back down Hostetter?
    depends on how much time I have. I rode Hostetter/La Tuna 3 days in a row this weekend. Today was 10 miles RT past Verdugo Peak, saw 2 deer but ended up wiping out (luckily just blood, no broken bones) trying to race a guy downhill who passed me.

I've never seen anybody crash on La Tuna before me and I've been going here for years.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    depends on how much time I have. I rode Hostetter/La Tuna 3 days in a row this weekend. Today was 10 miles RT past Verdugo Peak, saw 2 deer but ended up wiping out (luckily just blood, no broken bones) trying to race a guy downhill who passed me.

I've never seen anybody crash on La Tuna before me and I've been going here for years.
    Ouch, glad it wasn't too bad. I crashed pretty bad flying down near the bottom once at least 12 years ago on Hostetter. I dislocated my right thumb after my front wheel washed out on an off camber turn. Plus I had road rash all over. The funny thing is, I crashed again while taking it slowly to get the rest of the way down the hill and that relocated my thumb!!!

banned
    Mar 2015
    Ouch, glad it wasn't too bad. I crashed pretty bad flying down near the bottom once at least 12 years ago on Hostetter. I dislocated my right thumb after my front wheel washed out on an off camber turn. Plus I had road rash all over. The funny thing is, I crashed again while taking it slowly to get the rest of the way down the hill and that relocated my thumb!!!
    Other thing I noticed is that the Camelback copy I have seems to draw water from the straw (or whatever that is called) only when I tilt my head so far down that I am not seeing forward anymore, which is very dangerous if you are going downhill and you fall off the cliff to a 30-200 foot drop! My Camelback copy was $30 and the real Camelbacks cost like $100+.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If anyone is in Santa Monica tomorrow Tuesday June 23rd and wants to go out for a ride let me know. I leave at 530pm and ride up to the Nike Missile base. You can meet me at the trailhead around 630 if you want.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalmtnbikers/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    anyone do weekday rides? i'm a new transplant looking to explore the trails. located in north hollywood but have car and willing to travel. you can message me on facebook and my schedule is pretty open.

https://www.facebook.com/cameronfromseattle

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by spikey_korean View Post
    anyone do weekday rides? i'm a new transplant looking to explore the trails. located in north hollywood but have car and willing to travel. you can message me on facebook and my schedule is pretty open.

https://www.facebook.com/cameronfromseattle
    What trails have you ridden so far?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    hey hawg!

i haven't ridden any yet. i've been in la for a little over a month and most of that time has been spent getting myself situated. haven't had much luck on trail info/recommendations from locals either. anything you highly recommend?

mtbr member
    hey hawg!

i haven't ridden any yet. i've been in la for a little over a month and most of that time has been spent getting myself situated. haven't had much luck on trail info/recommendations from locals either. anything you highly recommend?
    I'm finishing up a project and of July and will be off a while after that. Being the heat of summer evening rides are a good call. I'd be more than happy to meet you at some of the local trails and show around. I'm located in the Thousand Oaks area so usually ride the Santa Monica Mtns.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    hey hawg!

You've got places to ride in all directions from NoHo. It's mainly XC in these parts.

Look these up:

Caballero Canyon & Dirt Mullohand- a hub to many riding areas
    Cheseboro Canyon- lots of options there
    Backbone Trail (many different sections)
    El Prieto/Brown Mountain-combo fire road/smooth singletrack/technical singletrack
    Chantry Flats- lots of options there
    Monroe Truck Trail- one of my personal favorites
    Chumash Trail & surrounding trails
    Los Robles- East and West (Space Mountain)
    Big Sycamore Canyon- lots of options
    Wildwood Park- great variety, lots of options

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks for the recommendations! i was looking into backbone but wasn't too sure about what other options to check out.

dirt donkey, totally up for it! mornings or evenings i'm free as long as i have a couple days notice.

btw, any recommendations on local shops? i have a fox fork i need to get worked on.

mtbr member
    thanks for the recommendations! i was looking into backbone but wasn't too sure about what other options to check out.

dirt donkey, totally up for it! mornings or evenings i'm free as long as i have a couple days notice. btw, any recommendations on local shops? i have a fox fork i need to get worked on.

Try Backbone from Coral Canyon to Kanan Dume and back. That's one of my faves. Lots of roller coaster single track through the woods with some cover from the sun.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredman69 View Post
    Try Backbone from Coral Canyon to Kanan Dume and back. That's one of my faves. Lots of roller coaster single track through the woods with some cover from the sun.
    But coming from NoHo (since he's already in the SF Valley) wouldn't it be a shorter drive to start from Kanan and ride out to Corral and back instead? That's how it works for me.

mtbr member
    But coming from NoHo (since he's already in the SF Valley) wouldn't it be a shorter drive to start from Kanan and ride out to Corral and back instead? That's how it works for me.
    Either way, it's an awesome ride. Just so happens that Im closer to Corral Canyon, but I've done it both ways.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredman69 View Post
    Either way, it's an awesome ride. Just so happens that Im closer to Corral Canyon, but I've done it both ways.
    Agreed. It's another one of my favs. Great variety,

banned
    Mar 2015
    I did (partial) Caballero Canyon in Encino (Reseda Blvd near Country club there) last weekend and I don't recommend it for mtn biking as it's high foot traffic and very narrow trail at times (i.e. you literally need to take turns to pass oncoming, other direction, etc.)

It's also very foresty, enclosed so you get a non-open feeling in there. Didn't seem to have a lot of elevation gain at least in the first 20 mins from trailhead. Great for hiking however.

My $0.02 coming from someone who prefers fire roads like Hostetter, Whiting Woods, Beaudry in Verdugo Mtns.

Warrior's Society
    I did (partial) Caballero Canyon in Encino (Reseda Blvd near Country club there) last weekend and I don't recommend it for mtn biking as it's high foot traffic and very narrow trail at times (i.e. you literally need to take turns to pass oncoming, other direction, etc.)

It's also very foresty, enclosed so you get a non-open feeling in there. Didn't seem to have a lot of elevation gain at least in the first 20 mins from trailhead. Great for hiking however.

My $0.02 coming from someone who prefers fire roads like Hostetter, Whiting Woods, Beaudry in Verdugo Mtns.
    Cabellero Canyon is fine for riding. Yup, lots of hikers, especially on the weekends. Done it several times. Say "hello" and "good morning" to the people you see out there and there is no problem...everyone is usually pretty friendly.

We use it as our connector to get up to the Hub, then over to Backbone and Sullivan Canyon.

I do a lot of fire road riding as well, but there is nothing wrong with Cabellero Canyon.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat