Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast
    mtbr member

The "Who wants to ride?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    Has anyone ridden Rattlesnake canyon in Poway? I have a friend of a friend who is an avid hiker who is swearing this trail is a great MTB trail.
    I can try checking it out next week unless you want to join.

Sent from my vault using Tapatalk
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er
    'Merica runs on coffee and bacon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewheels29 View Post
    I can try checking it out next week unless you want to join.

when are you thinking? Let me check with my wife... i know my next few weekends are booked by the Mrs. and may be tough getting out. (unless you are free for an mid week early ride)

mtbr member

Won't be able to do it untill the 18th or later. 16th I have a half marathon. So I need prep and post recovery

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Has anyone ridden Rattlesnake canyon in Poway? I have a friend of a friend who is an avid hiker who is swearing this trail is a great MTB trail.
    If the place is accurate as the name implies, no to the hell no! Still looking for that elusive "squirrel and bunny canyon"..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    If the place is accurate as the name implies, no to the hell no! Still looking for that elusive "squirrel and bunny canyon"..
    i heard their is decent amount of climbing riding up to tooth rock. Even google maps lists it as rattlesnake canyon! yikes

mtbr member

Ohhh well if you have a good working cell phone and a buddy and a basic first aid kit your fine.

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Looks like some of my friends wanna ride hodges thursday morning around 8:30/9am. All is welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm doing Carbon Canyon (Chino Hills area) to 4 Corners, Raptor Ridge, Telegraph Loop and back this Wednesday 11/12/14. About 20-22 miles out and back, 1500 feet gain or so. Fun cardio ride with some flow single-track on Raptor. It will be a quick pace (for me anyway). Figure 0900 to 1100 in the dirt. Link below is a shorter version that I did a week ago. Wednesday I plan to extend through Raptor down to Telegraph, then climb back up to 4 Corners and out. Hit me up if anyone wants to ride. I could also easily be talked into doing Jackson Lake/Wrightwood instead which is amazing if you know the area.

Carbon Canyon to 4 corners, Raptor Ridge 10262014 by trbofr2 at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Anyone in the LA/OC area doing a turkey day ride?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoeyeti View Post
    Anyone in the LA/OC area doing a turkey day ride?
    Just a quick 8-10 mile ride at Santiago Oaks in Orange for me.. Nothing special at all since I need to get back and start prepping for bird day. There are a lot of local shop rides, I know of one starting at 6:30 in Newport/Laguna.

Edit - Not sure where you are staying, I assume you are in town from Tahoe? I can show you around Oaks for a bit but probably starting my ride at 7 and have to finish up by 9ish..

mtbr member
    I did 14 miles at Hodges this morning testing out the new wheel/tire combo...worked well and is wider yet seems lighter.

We are doing road bikes tomorrow (Sat 29) taking the 7:02am train from Oceanside to Irvine and riding back...any roadies are welcome to join us, I think there are 3 bike slots on the train (free) left up for grabs.

Mtn bike ride Hodges or Daley Ranch early morning id anyone interested to join us in THAT.

mtbr member
    short notice for Simi Valley. leaving Oxnard in the next hour or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I know it's raining today, but if anyone is up for riding in a somewhat drier area I can cruise out and meet them. I'm a slower rider - located near Beverly Hills. Any suggestions of places near by to check out are appreciated as well.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by z0han View Post
    I know it's raining today, but if anyone is up for riding in a somewhat drier area I can cruise out and meet them. I'm a slower rider - located near Beverly Hills. Any suggestions of places near by to check out are appreciated as well.
    Pretty sure everything within driving distance is pretty damn wet today. Probably a good idea to give them a chance to dry out a bit.

mtbr member
    Riding Daley Ranch or Lake Hodges Wednesday 12/3 departing at 3:30pm if anyone wants in or have a location preference let us know...we are near-senior and medium speed riders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by z0han View Post
    Sullivan Canyon is always fun to ride in the rain, but I haven't ridden it since they bulldozed it into a fire road. But that dirt always holds up to the rain and doesn't really stick to the tires. I'm working though, so no can do.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    even with all this rain? please stick to the fire roads!(please ride hodges)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneB View Post
    Riding Daley Ranch or Lake Hodges Wednesday 12/3 departing at 3:30pm if anyone wants in or have a location preference let us know...we are near-senior and medium speed riders.

mtbr member
    No not in the rain....don't like ruts or trail degradation. I just never believed it would actually rain, much less last more than 1/2 hour.
    Looks like Friday afternoon if the trails are dried up by then

mtbr member
    Riding hodges by the 15 underpass tomorrow around 11:45am. Quick short ride of approx 45minutes or so. Looking to do 9-10miles before i go to work @ 1pm. Let me know if anyone wants to go and I will make sure to wait up.

mtbr member
    We are doing Daley Ranch at 3:30 pm today 1/16...sage-coyote-diamondback-sage and then meadow loop if anyone is interested...we are older/slower types.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey everyone I'm going to hit Marshall Canyon, Bonelli or even Chino Hills 1/18/15 this Sunday morning. Looking to get in 25-30 miles and around 4-5,000 feet gain so a good amount of climbing and downhill. Will start around 8 and be out of the dirt by Noon if anyone is interested. Send a PM ASAP interested. It will be great weather and a good time. Thx!

Well hey it was fun alone too! Always looking for local riders looking to hit Marshall, Wrightwood, SART, OC stuff, Chino Hills, Bonelli, Sycamore and other rides too. Today's ride below.

Bonelli Heli/Backside/Pines/SPA X 5 01182015 by trbofr2 at Garmin Connect - Details
    Last edited by trmn8er; 01-18-2015 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Anyone ever ridden Hell hole canyon preserve?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Anyone up for some exploratory backcountry riding near Santa Barbara? I've got a list of pretty intiguing/compelling trails to ride in the Los Padres NF just north of town here, and I'd love some company! The backcountry is in gorgeous shape right now- we're starting to see wildflowers, and the trails are in superb condition.

Let me know if you're up for getting out!

Regards,

Jeff

most memberable
    May 2011
    Anyone ever ridden Hell hole canyon preserve?
    Never ridden it, but hiked it several times. Not a lot of mileage, unless you go up to Rodriguez Peak.

Warning, trails down below are good...mix of ST and FR...trails going up are ST, a little bush-wacky and loaded with ticks. I was going to hike up once and got about 1/4 mile and had noticed one too many of these hijackers, so turned around.

If you do venture out there, give us an update on trail conditions as i might try to go up again.

mtbr member
    I was going to ride Daley in 30 minutes but man its hot out there... Thinking about going to Hodges now. Should be there around 11:30am(farther drive but closer to work) and i have about 45min to an hour if anyone wants to go.

mtbr member
    riding hodges again tomorrow around 11:45am. Parking by the 15 underpass lot. Probably riding towards to the rock pile loop by recommendations from fellow members here. Let me know if you want to join. Shorter ride approx 45min to an hour long ride as i work at 1pm near the trail head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Funny I was just asked to ride out there today. But it was last minute and I didn't bring my bike to work....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Funny I was just asked to ride out there today. But it was last minute and I didn't bring my bike to work....
    finally rode rock pile loop. Took it slow and had to jump off my bike twice to HIB. But really fun.

On the bottom part of the loop there were tons of snake tracks across the trail. Surprised i didn't see any snakes with the amount of lines i saw across the trail.

mtbr member
    Probably doing hodges again tomorrow around 11:30/11:45am. Looking for a 45minute to a hour ride? Probably checking out rock pile loop again. Let me know! I need to be work at 1pm after the ride so can't ride any longer. I start the ride by the self storage entrance. Let me know!

mtbr member
    I still have to hike over the one set of rocks right before the spot that is so narrow my bike only fits through. The rest are fun jumps one you are familiar with them. When you come down off of that loop there is a trail to the right that is fun. An out and back. I usually just ride to the crazy Hill that for me it's push a bike. But lots of fun. Doesn't take much time either. Wish I could join you tomorrow. The trail follows the lake to the left

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    mrmattjohnson, I think I'll be out there as well. I'll be on my Ellsworth FS 69er. If I run into you, I can show you highland valley trail too.

I will enter the Hodges trail system from the Poblado trailhead (strava segment there is called 'Flatulence'). I usually head east towards RB park and do some fun singletrack on the south side (sometimes I throw in rock pile loop too).

banned
    Sep 2010
    finally rode rock pile loop. Took it slow and had to jump off my bike twice to HIB. But really fun.

On the bottom part of the loop there were tons of snake tracks across the trail. Surprised i didn't see any snakes with the amount of lines i saw across the trail.
    Snake tracks, eh? I guess that's not surprising, it's about that time of year. I have yet to spot one this year, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Snake tracks, eh? I guess that's not surprising, it's about that time of year. I have yet to spot one this year, though.
    yeah last wednesday was about 90F out and windy. I bet that sand felt great for our slithery friends.

mtbr member
    Alex and I seen plenty of snakes and tracks at Hodges, recently too

mtbr member
    What color is your bike? I ride a 2014 bright red Giant Trance... or even better post a pic of it so i can recognize it. I usually cross a few guys out there at that time.

mrmattjohnson, I think I'll be out there as well. I'll be on my Ellsworth FS 69er. If I run into you, I can show you highland valley trail too.

I will enter the Hodges trail system from the Poblado trailhead (strava segment there is called 'Flatulence'). I usually head east towards RB park and do some fun singletrack on the south side (sometimes I throw in rock pile loop too).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What color is your bike?
    It's a 'smoke' color (at least that's what Ellsworth calls it).

I'm going to roll down to the trailhead and to the start of rock pile loop (counterclockwise) at around 11:40-11:45ish.

After you cross a little wooden bridge, you come to a T in the trail (if you go right you start rock pile loop). I'll look for you at that T.

mtbr member
    Sounds good! I'm probably going to stop real quick at the Chelsea King memorial sign on my out as today is the 5th anni of her tragedy,
    You will probably hear my bear bell rattle before you see me.
    It's a 'smoke' color (at least that's what Ellsworth calls it).

I'm going to roll down to the trailhead and to the start of rock pile loop (counterclockwise) at around 11:40-11:45ish.

After you cross a little wooden bridge, you come to a T in the trail (if you go right you start rock pile loop). I'll look for you at that T.

mtbr member
    Nice ride with wjphillips. He is definitely in waaayyyy more shape than I am! Haha. Sorry for cutting the end a little short. Running late for work.
    Did you see the large coyote on the way back from highland trail? a big sucker out during the day. He was defintely scared of me and my bear bell. Ran up into the rocks next to the houses.

good riding!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ya! I saw him too. Same thing, he ran up the hill towards the houses. I also rode through a swarm of bees right in the middle of the trail (almost back to the wooden bridge).

Good ride. Nice to meet you. Looks like you got a bunch of PRs. Well done.

mtbr member
    Hodges again today around 11:45am. Staying on the north side this week. Ride will be about 45min-1hr long. Let me know if you are interested!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I won't be out there this time. But be aware that Hodges (esp north side) after this last rain might be a total mudfest.

Personally, I'd give the trails a few more days to dry out.

mtbr member
    Dailey Ranch was a good ride after the rain. Im hoping to hit hodges by Friday. I think it will be dry enough by then..

mtbr member
    hodges was good. Few puddles on the flat spots on the fire roads but easily ridden around. Heck the puddles didn't stop the environmentalists who drive their big truck up there to plant the cactus. They were doing work up there with their truck parked up top.
    The dirt is in good condition.

mtbr member
    Yeah, last rain they put some big ruts in the fire road with their trucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So the trail was ok passed the creek crossing at the top of cobblestone alley? That's the part that gets really bad. Lots of sticky red clay like mud.

mtbr member
    So the trail was ok passed the creek crossing at the top of cobblestone alley? That's the part that gets really bad. Lots of sticky red clay like mud.
    yeah no issues... it dried out nicely. But what keeps killing that area is the conservationist truck that drives up there. I bet he even drove up there yesterday when it was muddy.... Lots of bikes out there today. Some idiot riders obviously rode right through every mud spot they could find. But those sections are very limited.

mtbr member
    Riding Daley tomorrow from 12:30pm-2pm. Any one welcome to join, any pace and speed. Have tomorrow off from work, but i have to be ready to leave my house at 3pm for a wedding so the 2pm end time is firm.
    Thinking on going Creek crossing-sage-quail- back to sage to coyote to diamond back, ride to boulder loop 2nd entrance to crest going down and ride back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    I'm going riding at hodges tomorrow. Trying to be there by 9 am. We keep going to the oposite place. Haha. Have a great ride tomorrow

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hmm, I *may* do Nate Harrison tomorrow.... Not sure yet...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride Santiago Oaks once or twice during the week at around 5-5:30pm. If anyone is interested let me know!