Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLODell View Post
    What's PQ?
    Los Penasquitos Canyon San Diego Trail Reviews

i think this what he means, seams really tame.
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er
    'Merica runs on coffee and bacon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewheels29 View Post
    Los Penasquitos Canyon San Diego Trail Reviews

i think this what he means, looks tame.
    EDIT seems like there is fun there, more technical jumps ect.
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Last call for SART. Riding it Solo tomorrow even tho I'd prefer another rider. Super fun ride and mellow pace. Bringing the GoPro and more stuff than I usually carry, like extra tube, a little food, and plenty of water. Hit me up if interested. Thx

mtbr member

The "Who wants to ride?" thread

Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    Last call for SART. Riding it Solo tomorrow even tho I'd prefer another rider. Super fun ride and mellow pace. Bringing the GoPro and more stuff than I usually carry, like extra tube, a little food, and plenty of water. Hit me up if interested. Thx
    That's up in LA area right?

Sent from my vault using Tapatalk
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    [QUOTE=whitewheels29;11545029]That's up in LA area right?

No, it's San Bernadino Mountains, from Redlands up the back way towards Big Bear area. I can assure you it is well worth the drive at it's arguably some of the best single-track in So-Cal and super scenic too.

mtbr member

I wish I had more lead time. I live a couple hours away and with a teething kid. I can't make it tomorrow. I wish I could thoe man.

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's all good. Keep it in mind and we can do it another time. It's a ride you will remember forever.

mtbr member

Give me a place to google so I can plan it out.

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Or i am game to ride anywhere in san diego around 1pm on friday as long as its not crazy technical.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    [QUOTE=whitewheels29;11545074]Give me a place to google so I can plan it out.

Start: Angelus Oaks California
    End: South Fork and 38 Hwy
    Out and Back. 28 miles, 3,400 feet of elevation gain.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=trmn8er;11545094]
    Give me a place to google so I can plan it out.

Start: Angelus Oaks California
    End: South Fork and 38 Hwy
    Out and Back. 28 miles, 3,400 feet of elevation gain.
    WOW that is one hell of a ride! i gatta do it someday! its a 2 hour 45 min drive for me so i would be gone all day with driving.
    I'm finishing up the trails i started in Ramona tomorrow morning.
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's not too bad. You seem to climb and decend in both directions so it's manageable. The last 5 miles of the day is tough as you climb up Middle Control Road.

mtbr member
    It's not too bad. You seem to climb and decend in both directions so it's manageable. The last 5 miles of the day is tough as you climb up Middle Control Road.
    I like the climb back up Middle. Its ultra smooth and the degree isn't bad at all. You can get moving pretty darn good on that climb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You can but it kills me after South Fork and back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyway I'm excited. Have not done it in a few months. Should be in the dirt by 830

mtbr member
    Anyway I'm excited. Have not done it in a few months. Should be in the dirt by 830
    enjoy! post some pictures in the pictures thread, pretty please!
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Absolutely. Probably Video as well.

Update: Back home now. NOBODY out there. Went all the way to south Fork and back. 27.23 miles. My new Garmin shows only 2,920 feet of elevation gain, but the same ride on my old Garmin shows almost 3,400. So much for consistency.
    My previous rides it took me all day like 7 hours with resting. Today I did it in 4:34 including several stops. No doubt I am faster on this bike but I sure miss the travel and meaty tires. I need a 2nd bike. Stopped at Hanger 24 for a sampler or three as well. ;-)

The "Who wants to ride?" thread-imag0876.jpg
    Last edited by trmn8er; 10-30-2014 at 03:39 PM.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I like the climb back up Middle. Its ultra smooth and the degree isn't bad at all. You can get moving pretty darn good on that climb.
    Is that the last climb we did before getting back to our trucks when we rode SART? If so it really wasn't bad at all, especially after the ride at altitude before it.

mtbr member

Riding Aliso Woods late Saturday morning for the first time. Got a decent idea of what's where thanks to EatsDirt, but is anyone down for a ride? Always easier to find your way with a guide...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Is that the last climb we did before getting back to our trucks when we rode SART? If so it really wasn't bad at all, especially after the ride at altitude before it.
    Yes, that's it. However, it is a bit more difficult to deal with after you've ridden all the way to South Fork Campground and back. You and I rode half way there then turned back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Looking to get a little downhill in this weekend. Anyone interested in taking the SCOA shuttle in Altadena this Saturday Nov. 1st.I have never been and would love to check it out with another rider.Hit me up if your interested!
    Last edited by Jeffro818; 10-30-2014 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Mt.Wilson Trail tomorrow at 1pm....anyone?

mtbr member

Wonder if rain/lightning will be an issue around that time...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I am willing to find out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm down for 13:00 Mt. Wilson ride. PM me please.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Trmn8er: myself and a friend were there on Wednesday for the first time we parked and started off Glass Rd. We rode up river Rd to south fork campground and came back down the SART. If we kept going down the trail after Glass Rd where would we have ended up? When does it start to go uphill? We want to maybe try this again but not sure where to start for a longer ride? Thanks

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic85 View Post
    Trmn8er: myself and a friend were there on Wednesday for the first time we parked and started off Glass Rd. We rode up river Rd to south fork campground and came back down the SART. If we kept going down the trail after Glass Rd where would we have ended up? When does it start to go uphill? We want to maybe try this again but not sure where to start for a longer ride? Thanks
    I've always started at the Post Office and headed toward Glass.

mtbr member
    Personally, I feel that the better half of the ride is beyond Glass Road where you started and where you were pointed when you finished your ride. If you park a little ways down the road from Glass on Hwy 38, where the cafe and convenience store are located in Angeles Oaks, you can start right behind there on a fire road where you climb for about 1/4 mile. Then the fire road veers off to the left and on that point is where the trail head to the best section of the entire ride starts. You drop down into the valley on SWEET single track. You eventually reach a fire road (Middle Road) where you turn left onto it and continue downhill for another mile or so. The trail picks up again on your right and sweeps uphill. It's easy to see. From there, you ride through all sorts of stuff on single track and end up at Glass Road which is sort of the half way point to South Fork campground.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If we start at the Post office and ride down to Middle Road how do we get back to PO? Do we ride back up the SART? Also if we continue all the way to Glass Rd how do we get back to PO wher we parked? We really don't want to shuttle oh yea how far is it to middle and then glass from the PO? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    As kragu mentioned, I find it best to start at the Post Office. To answer your question, going the other direction (West) from Glass Road takes you toward Angelus Oaks. It is about 8.7 miles from Glass Road to the Post Office one way. You drop from Glass Road on one of my favorite sections for about 1 mile or so, then start to climb on and off till you pass a creek crossing. About a mile past that, it's mostly downhill all the way to Middle Control Road. From there, it's a fairly long climb back up to the Post Office and Angelus Oaks.

If you want a longer ride, try the Post Office to South Fork and back as I just did. I used to ride to Glass Road and back (17 miles) often, but I have done the longer set (27+ mile) trip to South Fork a few times as well. If you can do this ride and get back wanting more, then you may want to ride from Lock Levin to South Fork and back. I think that is like 40 miles or more, and should certainly kick your ass. There are more loops you can add on as well for even more fun (and pain).

I'm always looking for riders whom want to ride SART. I recommend those not familiar to always ride with others, and have the ability to navigate. I ride it alone and even though I am pretty familiar with the trail, there is a fair amount of exposure which could be problematic for a solo rider. Hit me up if you have any more questions about this ride. It is one of my favorite areas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank a lot for the info. I have a few more questions. if I start at the PO and want to ride down to Glass Rd and back is it easy to find the trails? Once down to Glass Rd how do we get back to PO? Personally I think it would be to much for me now to ride from the PO to the South fork camp and back. What's differnt about the PO to Glass section than the Glass to south fork and back section lots of people seem to like the trail better from the PO?

mtbr member
    Thank a lot for the info. I have a few more questions. if I start at the PO and want to ride down to Glass Rd and back is it easy to find the trails? Once down to Glass Rd how do we get back to PO? Personally I think it would be to much for me now to ride from the PO to the South fork camp and back. What's differnt about the PO to Glass section than the Glass to south fork and back section lots of people seem to like the trail better from the PO?
    PO to Glass Road (and back) is my favorite "short ride" there. At Glass, turn around and back track to Middle Road (AKA, Mill Creek Road). Start climbing Middle Road and stay on it all the way back up to hwy 38. At hwy 38, turn right and ride the hwy about 1/4 mile back to where you parked near the PO.

The trails in general along this stretch are better. Less exposure. And the section from PO down to Middle Road is epic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    member of meetup group in san diego.. if we do some night rides in los penasquitos this week, your welcome to be my +1.. usually start at 7pm and done by 8:30-9pm..
    Reply to Walnart:

We are riding Daley Ranch in Escondido on wed Nov 5 at 3:30 pm till dark and welcome to join us. PM me if interested.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneB View Post
    Reply to Walnart:

We are riding Daley Ranch in Escondido on wed Nov 5 at 3:30 pm till dark and welcome to join us. PM me if interested.
    Wish I knew this! I'm like 30 mins away. If you guys can give a few more days notice that'd be great but no biggy enjoy

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Wish I knew this! I'm like 30 mins away. If you guys can give a few more days notice that'd be great but no biggy enjoy

Got 2 days notice from right now!

mtbr member

Looks like I'm free for a ride on Sunday morning. I'm in Ramona. I can do Escondido, San Diego, Julian let me know what yall are thinkin

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member

Got 2 days notice from right now!
    Wife and I are slammed with school work and a baby so it's not happening haha. It wouldn't be possible with a week notice. Haha

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    My buddy and I are riding at Daley Ranch tomorrow morning around 8:30am. Let me know if you want to join. Going to be a relaxed pace.

mtbr member
    We are scheduled to be riding Daley Ranch Wed Nov 5 at 3:30 pm.. we are slow but steady...Look for green Niner and red Cobia

mtbr member

Enjoy your ride!

GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    We are scheduled to be riding Daley Ranch Wed Nov 5 at 3:30 pm.. we are slow but steady...Look for green Niner and red Cobia
    how late are you riding till? which trails are you taking? (i'm working but i am leaving early from work and maybe i can snag the tail end of your ride if i can get off work)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    how late are you riding till? which trails are you taking? (i'm working but i am leaving early from work and maybe i can snag the tail end of your ride if i can get off work)
    We do the 8 mile loop...left up Sage then straight up the valley and back down the jumps to the Ranch...with enough light we sometimes do the Boulder Loop off the tar road and that adds another half hour to the ride. Good climb, great fun.
    We are older, slower, steady and fun.

mtbr member
    We do the 8 mile loop...left up Sage then straight up the valley and back down the jumps to the Ranch...with enough light we sometimes do the Boulder Loop off the tar road and that adds another half hour to the ride. Good climb, great fun.
    We are older, slower, steady and fun.
    nothing wrong with slow steady and fun. Are you from Esco? I know a Gene B. that was my middle school teacher.(almost 20 yrs ago.)
    I rode Daley today, rode towards sage then took coyote to diamond back to sage. Then we rode up crest to engelman to hidden springs and rode the jumps back.A lot of climbing for a 10 mile ride but it was a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    nothing wrong with slow steady and fun. Are you from Esco? I know a Gene B. that was my middle school teacher.(almost 20 yrs ago.)
    I rode Daley today, rode towards sage then took coyote to diamond back to sage. Then we rode up crest to engelman to hidden springs and rode the jumps back.A lot of climbing for a 10 mile ride but it was a lot of fun.
    that's sound more challenging but more fun than what we usually do, we have done the 3 biaches once tho...like to do that again!

mtbr member
    Ok, not to be a pest! Im looking to do a couple hours on sunday (NOV 9) morning I have narrowed it down to Dailey, PQ, Mt Laguna, and Cuyamaca in Julian. I have not been to any of these yet.
    How are they on weekends? Any more crowded than others? any others to take a better look at? thanks in advance
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Made a decision. I will be going to Mt Laguna on Sunday (9th) in the AM PM me if anyone is interested.
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Doing either Bonelli or Marshall tomorrow Sunday 11/9/14 in the morning. Probably do 12-15 mile ride. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Doing either Bonelli or Marshall tomorrow Sunday 11/9/14 in the morning. Probably do 12-15 mile ride. PM me if interested.
    You're riding on a weekend?! Wow. We did Backbone from Kanan to Corral Cyn and back today. Very warm and extremely dry outside.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    You're riding on a weekend?! Wow. We did Backbone from Kanan to Corral Cyn and back today. Very warm and extremely dry outside.
    Yea I'm off work Sundays and mostly Wednesdays for now, so let me know when you are available.

mtbr member
    Has anyone ridden Rattlesnake canyon in Poway? I have a friend of a friend who is an avid hiker who is swearing this trail is a great MTB trail.