Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Anyone in N.LA area want to roll out to Suicide or something similar this weekend? Would love to do 2-3k elevation with some fun/tech descents... Limited in my knowledge of trails outside of Reseda/SM area and would be stoked to ride some new stuff.

Kragu, you ridin?

mtbr member

The "Who wants to ride?" thread

Unfortunately, no. Work both days this weekend. 2w4s knows the area well, and your riding abilities are really similar. Y'all would have a blast.

mtbr member
    @ EatsDirt, i'm gonna ride somewhere this weekend, send me a text 310 343 2192
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    @ EatsDirt, i'm gonna ride somewhere this weekend, send me a text 310 343 2192
    Change of plans for me...I'm good for Sunday AM. I'll be the slow guy, though.

This would be fun: Cheseboro/Suicide
    Or: Johnson's/RP/HB/Chumash/Johnson's

Open to other stuff, too.

PZ, Hawg?

mtbr member
    Sounds good! I just checked out a vid of Suicide and would really like to give it a whirl, but I'm up for whatever.

mtbr member
    Elings in the morning

mtbr member
    I know its late notice, but anyone up for a ride in the morning? I'm up for Sui, or Backbone or Aliso woods or San Juan?
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredman69 View Post
    I know its late notice, but anyone up for a ride in the morning? I'm up for Sui, or Backbone or Aliso woods or San Juan?
    Dang, your know motto should be, "have bike, will travel to ride".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Dang, your know motto should be, "have bike, will travel to ride".
    LOL, I'm in Torrance, kinda in the middle of all of those.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Snow Summit tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLODell View Post
    Snow Summit tomorrow morning.
    How much longer are they open for the season?
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    How much longer are they open for the season?
    I have no clue, hopefully until after tomorrow at least.

mtbr member
    I have no clue, hopefully until after tomorrow at least.
    LOL. I just checked their website. Looks like they're going to be open Fri-Sun until the winter weather arrives. I might have to go again before the season is over, maybe next Fri if my new DH wheels are done, (LB Hookless Carbon rims 26"x38mm wide x 32 deep laced to Hope hubs, DT Supercomps and alloy nips).
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    LOL. I just checked their website. Looks like they're going to be open Fri-Sun until the winter weather arrives. I might have to go again before the season is over, maybe next Fri if my new DH wheels are done, (LB Hookless Carbon rims 26"x38mm wide x 32 deep laced to Hope hubs, DT Supercomps and alloy nips).
    Dang, sounds expensive

mtbr member
    Dang, sounds expensive
    Nah, not too bad. I already had the hubs laced to some Stans rims, so I just had to buy the rims, spokes and nips. The rims are $170.00 each, a lot cheaper than Envy's.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Nah, not too bad. I already had the hubs laced to some Stans rims, so I just had to buy the rims, spokes and nips. The rims are $170.00 each, a lot cheaper than Envy's.
    Not bad at all

mtbr member
    Anyone up for Backbone Kanan to Etz out/back tomorrow?

2w4s are you pedalin?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm gonna be in the San Diego area til the 7th of November. Im out here from Tucson for work. I'm looking for some group rides or a guide/buddy. I'll have local AZ beer to broker new friendships. I'll be available mainly on the weekends but wouldn't mind a late afternoon weekday ride or two.

I'm really hoping to ride noble canyon/BLT with someone familiar with the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Anyone up for Backbone Kanan to Etz out/back tomorrow?

2w4s are you pedalin?
    I took tomorrow off work and I'm prob gonna Backbone, Kanan to Coral Canyon and back. What is Etz?
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Etz Maloy is a section of Backbone that is a little ways west of third tunnel IIRC.

mtbr member

I took tomorrow off work and I'm prob gonna Backbone, Kanan to Coral Canyon and back. What is Etz?
    Etz Meloy Motorway is one of several "checkpoints" on the ride from Kanan to Circle X, heading west from Kanan. You'll be heading east, so you won't be riding on or to Etz. Some of the common legs of that ride would be Kanan to Encinal, Encinal to Mulholland, Mulholland to Etz, Etz to Yerba, Yerba to the Sandstone Peak lot. That whole ride is about a 32mi out and back. Tons of fun!

I'll be riding Sui tomorrow around 230 if that fits your plans. I know you've been wanting to get out there, if you haven't already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Etz Meloy Motorway is one of several "checkpoints" on the ride from Kanan to Circle X, heading west from Kanan. You'll be heading east, so you won't be riding on or to Etz. Some of the common legs of that ride would be Kanan to Encinal, Encinal to Mulholland, Mulholland to Etz, Etz to Yerba, Yerba to the Sandstone Peak lot. That whole ride is about a 32mi out and back. Tons of fun!
    I'll be riding Sui tomorrow around 230 if that fits your plans. I know you've been wanting to get out there, if you haven't already.

Yea, I've done Coral Canyon to Kanan and back a bunch, but I've never continued west from Kanan before. How is it in comparison? And damn! I still haven't done Sui yet! I really want to, but I have stuff to do in the afternoon so I have to do an early ride.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Yea, I've done Coral Canyon to Kanan and back a bunch, but I've never continued west from Kanan before. How is it in comparison? And damn! I still haven't done Sui yet! I really want to, but I have stuff to do in the afternoon so I have to do an early ride.
    West from there is similar to east of the tunnel for the first 5 or so miles, mixed in tech on twisty ST with some really steep ups and downs. Then it dumps you off on Encinal Cyn Rd and from there, the terrain opens up a bit and you start to gradually climb up to the tops of the ranges. You will cross Mulholland and that in my opinion is the best section of BB in the entire Santa Monica Mountains, especially on the way back. You'll climb up to Malloy and that where it turns into fire road for a stretch. You'll cross through white gate section that everyone is talking about then you'll get onto some pavement (turn left) for a very short stretch. The trailhead is kind of hidden on your right so pay close attention. On that section of trail, you you continue to climb gradually. Once you get onto the Southern side of the range, you'll be way up and if it's a clear day, you'll be treated to SPECTACULAR views of the Pacific including several of our nearby islands. Lots of extreme exposure through here so be careful. Eventually you will arrive at a section where the trail switches over the hill and you drop back down the other side. Stay on the trail at the bottom and it will take you to a dirt parking lot. That's your turn around spot. This is a 25-30 mile out and back from the Kanan tunnel.

I strongly suggest a guide through there since there is a few spots where you could get lost along the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    West from there is similar to east of the tunnel for the first 5 or so miles, mixed in tech on twisty ST with some really steep ups and downs. Then it dumps you off on Encinal Cyn Rd and from there, the terrain opens up a bit and you start to gradually climb up to the tops of the ranges. You will cross Mulholland and that in my opinion is the best section of BB in the entire Santa Monica Mountains, especially on the way back. You'll climb up to Malloy and that where it turns into fire road for a stretch. You'll cross through white gate section that everyone is talking about then you'll get onto some pavement (turn left) for a very short stretch. The trailhead is kind of hidden on your right so pay close attention. On that section of trail, you you continue to climb gradually. Once you get onto the Southern side of the range, you'll be way up and if it's a clear day, you'll be treated to SPECTACULAR views of the Pacific including several of our nearby islands. Lots of extreme exposure through here so be careful. Eventually you will arrive at a section where the trail switches over the hill and you drop back down the other side. Stay on the trail at the bottom and it will take you to a dirt parking lot. That's your turn around spot. This is a 25-30 mile out and back from the Kanan tunnel.

I strongly suggest a guide through there since there is a few spots where you could get lost along the way.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll have to check it out soon.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member

That leg on the way back from Encinal to Kanan is the toughest. Not super difficult by itself, but at the end of a 30 mile ride, especially in the heat, it can be kinda rough. Luckily, it looks like summer heat is starting to subside...

mtbr member
    That leg on the way back from Encinal to Kanan is the toughest. Not super difficult by itself, but at the end of a 30 mile ride, especially in the heat, it can be kinda rough. Luckily, it looks like summer heat is starting to subside...

I bet. 30mi offroad is no joke. Add in steep open climbs in the heat and it can be brutal. I'll try it when it's a lot cooler, if not cold.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Walnart View Post
    I'm gonna be in the San Diego area til the 7th of November. Im out here from Tucson for work. I'm looking for some group rides or a guide/buddy. I'll have local AZ beer to broker new friendships. I'll be available mainly on the weekends but wouldn't mind a late afternoon weekday ride or two.

I'm really hoping to ride noble canyon/BLT with someone familiar with the area.
    member of meetup group in san diego.. if we do some night rides in los penasquitos this week, your welcome to be my +1.. usually start at 7pm and done by 8:30-9pm..

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    member of meetup group in san diego.. if we do some night rides in los penasquitos this week, your welcome to be my +1.. usually start at 7pm and done by 8:30-9pm..
    I'd love too, but when I got out here, I realized that I left my lights at home. I am bummed.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Walnart View Post
    I'd love too, but when I got out here, I realized that I left my lights at home. I am bummed.
    Oh, that's the worst! I left all of my riding clothes at home and discovered it just before an after work ride. Rolled up my slacks and went out anyway...

mtbr member
    Hummingbird in Simi in the morning. Anyone in??

mtbr member
    Hummingbird in Simi in the morning. Anyone in??
    I'll wave to you as I drive by on my way to work.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Anyone down to ride Mt. Wilson/Mt. Lowe 11/1/14

I am looking for anyone (group too) who has ridden Mt. Wilson and or Mt. Lowe to ride with Saturday November 1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm riding Wednesday this week, as in October 29. Thinking of Riding SART from Post Office to South Fork. It's a good 27+ mile ride and about 3,400 feet of gain. I will be taking a mellow pace with the exposure and my current ride setup. Let me know if anyone is interested quickly. I know the trails quite well, and it is amazing riding. If I do not get any takers I'll ride something more local as this ride is not something I prefer to ride alone. We can stop for a couple Beers at hanger 24 on the way out.

mtbr member
    Chumash/Hummingbird for me this afternoon. Anyone down?

mtbr member
    Chumash/Hummingbird for me this afternoon. Anyone down?
    wish i was closer to ya, how is it up there? as far as difficulty?

mtbr member
    I'm off work Thurs/Fri if anyone's down for a ride.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    I'm off work Thurs/Fri if anyone's down for a ride.
    Where where you thinking?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewheels29 View Post
    Where where you thinking?
    I'm open to suggestions, but I've been wanting to try suicide. Or something similar.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    I'm open to suggestions, but I've been wanting to try suicide. Or something similar.
    wish I could do technical stuff again, but not yet and its out of my drive time. sorry brother.

mtbr member
    just youtubed it and looks awesome, maybe someday I will hit that up! have fun out there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitewheels29 View Post
    wish I could do technical stuff again, but not yet and its out of my drive time. sorry brother.
    No worries man.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Suicide Friday mid day might work. You good with a 3k / 20 mile loop?

mtbr member
    Suicide Friday mid day might work. You good with a 3k / 20 mile loop?
    Maybe, how late in the day and how long does it take? Friday afternoon traffic sucks on the drive home for me so I usually start in the morning. I have kid stuff to do in the later afternoon/early evening, (kids soccer practice). I just put my new DH wheelset on so I'd be a little slower on the climbs. A shuttle or an out and back might be quicker/easier or an earlier time.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    I was thinking maybe 10am. Should give you plenty of time to beat traffic back if you did full loop, and you can cut it short after Sui. I did full ride in 2 hrs but that was pushing a good pace.

Let me know...

mtbr member
    I was thinking maybe 10am. Should give you plenty of time to beat traffic back if you did full loop, and you can cut it short after Sui. I did full ride in 2 hrs but that was pushing a good pace.

Let me know...
    Sounds good. I'll PM u to sort out the details.
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!

mtbr member
    Has anyone been to Cuyamaca State Park recently? I found some good stuff on trails.com but I think realy people would know better. I think its about an hour from me, maybe less. thanks in advance
    GT Timberline 1.0 29er
    'Merica runs on coffee and bacon.

mtbr member
    I'm in for Suicide on Friday!

mtbr member
    I'm going to PQ on friday around 1pm(first time going.) If anyone wants to ride let me know. I can ride for about 2 hours.

mtbr member
    What's PQ?

mtbr member
    I'm in for Suicide on Friday!
    Sweet! See u there!
    13 Intense Uzzi
    06 Santa Cruz Nomad
    00 Santa Cruz Bullit
    26er's for life!!!