Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Who rides alone -- at night ??

SO do and I swear it gets freaky deaky.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes. I would imagine. I'd be more freaked out about weirdos than creatures btw
    Where'd you go?

mtbr member
    I go to Mission Trails and to Sycamore area from the Santee entrance. You see more animals at night, animals that are in the bushes. my night lights reflect off the animals eyes. and last night I am fairly certain I was staring at a bob-cat. I just hope I never come across a mount lion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    90% of my night rides on trails are solo. If I'm riding pavement to the trails, or just doing a night road ride, I ride with someone.

I feel just the opposite, security-wise, on this topic.

I feel like I'm more safe on the trails after dark than I feel on pavement after dark.

However, in either case, having more than enough lighting goes a long way to increasing my sense if security, whether it's just psychological or not.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Certifiably Crazy
    I ride at dusk sometimes. The rustling in the bushes creeps me out, but I know it's usually bunnies. I ride MT as well. I've seen more deer at MT than in Mt Laguna. I can't wait for my work schedule to change to evenings again so I can ride in the mornings.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I will occasionally ride alone at night, and yeah I get pretty freaked out. I try to time the ride so that by the time I'm turning on my lights, I'm descending which helps.

Sullivan Canyon is super creepy at night because tons of owls sit in the road and fly up randomlyl

I'm your density
    Lots of mountain lions disguised as bushes in MTRP! Luckily, none seem to be interested in me as I've never seen one move as I ride by.

Now, the suicidal kangaroo rats are a different story...
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

Keep pedaling
    About 20% of my rides are alone at night. Most of that is on wide dirt roads without many trees - mostly the Verdugo Mountains.

The only animals that scare me are spiders. I avoid narrow bushy trails where I might go through their webs.

On streets, I feel safer in the dark because my headlights are so bright.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    When I have time to ride at night it is usually a quick decision so there rarely anybody to ride with. I actually think you tend to ride better in the dark since your vision is limited to what is lit. This concentrates your vision to only what you ride. Kind of like blinders on a horse.

Now, add a stupid deer to the mix and that changes the whole equation. Night riding + deer = band-aids and antiseptic.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Sullivan Canyon is super creepy at night because tons of owls sit in the road and fly up randomlyl
    this!

My first night ride ever was solo down Sullivan. I felt like I was being watched the whole time.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Trippiest part is looking behind you...and its pitch black.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrain View Post
    I go to Mission Trails and to Sycamore area from the Santee entrance. You see more animals at night, animals that are in the bushes. my night lights reflect off the animals eyes. and last night I am fairly certain I was staring at a bob-cat. I just hope I never come across a mount lion.
    You don't see mt lions, they see you! Chances are you won't ever see a mt lion until he drags you off the trail by your throat. That's how they roll.
    As for riding alone at night, that's just not very smart. If things go wrong. And they will. You're pretty screwed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Bobcats are very common and they will never be a threat to you. Even mountain lions......99.9% of the time, no problem.
    .1% of the time.....problem!

I think, as BB alluded to above, your'e in more peril from running into a deers' antler by mistake in the dark.

Remember a couple years back, when an old guy went out to his back yard in Fairbanks Ranch to pick a couple tomatoes for their dinner, and surprised a deer nibbling on their garden? As it ran away, one of the points on his antler hooked him in the eye socket. It got super-oinfected, and he died a week or two later.

Beware of Bambi and his/her bacteria! (Ticks, too).
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    this!

My first night ride ever was solo down Sullivan. I felt like I was being watched the whole time.
    Those are not owls, they are Night Hawks, aka Poor Toms.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've done it a few times......its only freaky when you get a flat tire or have some other mechanical....that's when you start hearing all the spooky noises that you couldn't hear when your tires were rolling.

mtbr member

Who rides alone -- at night ??

I used to ride alone at night a lot until I had a bad crash that was really close to being really, really bad. I came out on my own, but had I not been able to, I would have been in trouble.

I take it much easier when I do ride at night and I don't do it as often.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I been solo night riding for over a decade but... I do go through periods not doing for a year or 2 after getting spooked. People or groups of people mostly homeless or illegals just standing in the trail with no lights, miles from anywhere. ya i'm a puss

mtbr member
    Let's review some of the primary issues you need to consider when riding at night:
    1) it's dark (depending on phase of moon, depends on how dark.
    2) there are scary sounds and scary shadows.

Now as far as #1) well, for $200 one can invest in some pretty awesome lighting. Depend more yet, get even better lighting. Does this do the job required?

#2) we are on the top of the food chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I got creeped solo night riding 1st and only solo. My mind started to wander. On my way out I saw a headlight and was stoked, ended up making a friend and followed him. I have gone night riding a dozen times with a buddy and I really enjoy it. Very different experience. None of my trails allow me to carry a weapon which would claim me down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Done it before, not a huge deal. I do prefer to ride at night with other riders though. If stuff goes bad, night complicates things...

Just did a kickass ride tonight with my usual riding buddy. Freaking awesome conditions, no dust, killer traction, etc. Too much fun...

So yeah, I'll do night rides solo. Strength in numbers though...

I love Pisgah
    Yes. Mtbing solo at night is easy. When I backpacked almost every week back thru the 90s, I'd hike solo more times then not. Many times that including hiking a lot at night. I liked hiking in the winter. So often it was already dark way before I'd arrive at the trailhead that Fri evening. Hike all night, not pitching my tent until 3am or there abouts sometimes. Many times that included snow, ice, wind, etc. Never had any issues. Saw bear every now and then. but they just run off usually. Except once. haha

At 1am one Jan up high on an exposed bald above 6200' in Pisgah. Snowing sideways at sometimes 30-40 mph. Typical chit, really.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nights are for astronomy, so I ride during the day.

mtbr member
    I lived in Orange County from 2001-2005 and had a group of friends I rode with. We would night right from Fall to Spring with our Nightrider Classics. Remember those? We usually rode the Santiago Truck Trail and back down the Luge. Occasionally I would attempt this ride by myself. That stopped after the Jan 2004 mountain lion attack in Whiting Ranch which is very close to STT and Luge as you all I'm sure know. I still occasionally think about the guy that was killed and the girl that was mauled in WR and how many times I traversed that same trail they were on...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Top of the food chain? maybe with a shot gun in our hands. A Mt Lion will have his way with you, A Rattler will inflict a nice slow and painful death if you happen to get hit while riding alone in the dark and don't have someone to go get help for you. Even the nicest lights will crap out on you. Riding alone at night… not so smart.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I frequently commute by bike. If I didn't ride at night, I'd have to drive, which is boring. If I drove to a ride after work, I'd be driving instead of riding, which defeats the purpose of riding. If I only rode with other people, I'd have to fit my ride to their schedule. Yeah, the bottom of Corral Canyon or Zuma Canyon is DARK at 7:30 on a December evening, but it's pretty darn cool, too. Everybody should, at least once, ride Little Pine solo by moonlight, it is pure awesomeness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast