Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I used to ride alone at night in Tucson enough to where I was very comfortable in the dark, and hardly ever got creeped out. The dark envelopes you like a blanket, and you can feel the comfort and safety of the dark just like an animal would. The desert comes alive at night, and even with all the animal sightings and sounds, I was calm and happy. Snakes, Javelina, deer, tarantulas, bats, owls, jack rabbits, etc. It was beautiful. And yes, there was occasionally weed involved

Now I'm in Colorado, and in summer, night is too late, and in winter, night is too cold.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Those are not owls, they are Night Hawks, aka Poor Toms.
    Yeah, one of those fuggers flew up and slammed me in the chest at speed . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am willing to try it, little hesitant. I used to do it all the time in Europe on known trails with just moonlight.

20 years ago there was no fancy bike lights

I do think the Socal desert is not a good place to be riding alone at night.

In a few years my kids will be old enough to go with me, looking forward to that.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Yeah, one of those fuggers flew up and slammed me in the chest at speed . . . .
    I always wonder what the survival/natural selection value there is to sitting on the ground in the middle of a trail in the dark. I can't figger out what the hell they get out of that.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I used to ride alone at night in Tucson enough to where I was very comfortable in the dark, and hardly ever got creeped out. The dark envelopes you like a blanket, and you can feel the comfort and safety of the dark just like an animal would. The desert comes alive at night, and even with all the animal sightings and sounds, I was calm and happy. Snakes, Javelina, deer, tarantulas, bats, owls, jack rabbits, etc. It was beautiful. And yes, there was occasionally weed involved

Now I'm in Colorado, and in summer, night is too late, and in winter, night is too cold.
    When I was camping in the Tucson area, I did one night ride on the Fantasy Island trails. Talk about fun!

Keep pedaling
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    I always wonder what the survival/natural selection value there is to sitting on the ground in the middle of a trail in the dark. I can't figger out what the hell they get out of that.
    Some birds use a distraction display ("broken-wing act") to distract predators from their nests. I see a lot of those on summer night rides.

Distraction display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Killdeer bird is famous for that: Killdeer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    Some birds use a distraction display ("broken-wing act") to distract predators from their nests. I see a lot of those on summer night rides.

Distraction display - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Killdeer bird is famous for that: Killdeer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Maybe that's it. Although in my case, they are distracting me from something that I'm not looking for.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2