MyBikeStand.com

Who is ready to race in the rain?

Looks like next weekends Fontana race is gonna be WETT!!
    Last edited by WingNutt; 01-14-2010 at 10:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How is that course in the rain? Should a guy bring mud tires or is it not that bad?

MyBikeStand.com
    I myself am hoping some of the Cali guys chime in...I would like to know too. This will be my first time there.....racing 4X.

mtbr member
    The dirt there is very sandy and grainy. Unless it is actively raining an hour before (and up to) your race run, the course will be drying out. There shouldn't be any real "mud" to speak of, just sloppy, grainy soup in places.

I've been there for downpour race days. It will definitely slow you down if you are racing in the rain - you can't depend on the traction you're used to. I wouldn't change my tires for it, though. This won't be mud, it will be grainy slop which should clear from your tread pretty well. A front fender, rain jacket, and a way to keep your goggles clean would be things I'd consider. Also, if you're racing DH, depending on your seed time, you might be up on the hill for quite a while. It's open and exposed. I'd invest $5 in a plastic rain poncho that I could toss in the trash bin before the race.

I am racing 4x this season; can't make it out on Sundays for the DH. I would anticipate the course being marginally chewed up as the earth becomes softer and people practice. I personally will be flattening out the back and tops of the doubles, as I repeatedly case landings. Yeeeeeah... um, you're welcome?

The first berm is pretty solid at the apex, but you cannot overshoot the apex and expect the outer edge of that berm to hold you - it just might crumble from underneath you. The rest of the course has jumps and rollers, but no berms that I wouldn't trust (that I can think of now). Hopefully you'll have good gate starts and make it to that first corner ahead of everyone else so you can choose the line you want.

Fontana's a lot of fun. See you on the hill.

-Laura Drexler
    No Brakes Racing

MyBikeStand.com
    Hey thats awesome...thanks for the rundown. I am primarily racing the 4x but may bring my little BottleRocket out for some DH if I decide to ride the 5.5" bike on the big bike course!! ( I am sure the bike can handle it its just if I can handle racing back to back right now). I check the weather again and sunday looks like it might be ok...but 60%chance on sat....yippee!!!

MyBikeStand.com
    Here is a good question....hardtail or 5" BottleRocket for the 4X if it rains?

mtbr member
    I race on a hardtail trail bike (borrowed Stumpjumper w 3 rings up front). I brought the F/S (5.5" Turner) last week and didn't use it. I like the way the hardtail accelerates, and I'm pretty comfortable on it. If you are confident enough on the hardtail, I say keep it simple. If you are more confident with the F/S, go with that one.

I was in clips last week, but if it's sloppy, I think I might be on flats.

MyBikeStand.com
    oh no...hardtail for sure if its nice,....... but if it rains and gets messy...BR?...or I may just stick with the hardtail either way.
    Hardtail Supercross MX26

Transition BottleRocket

mtbr member
    I say use the Rocket. Its going to be a bytch to get out of the gate without cranks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoe671
    I say use the Rocket. Its going to be a bytch to get out of the gate without cranks.
    i dont know why this comment made me laugh so hard i woke up my roomie

MyBikeStand.com
    LOL...that was funny! Its my pump bike...I stand on the chainstays and pump pump pump!

...No really It has cranks and a chain, all set up and ready to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoe671
    AAAhahahahahahahaaha!!!!

Nice catch!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    you guys might not have to worry about it.....it is expected to be sunny and dry come race time Sat. and Sun....