a.k.a. MTBMaven

New question here. Who Likes Nevegal For A Front Tire?

Need to replace my front tire soon. I'm running a 2.3 Nevegal on the rear and have been quite satisfied with the tire. I'm curious if people like the tire for the front. I'm considering a 2.5 for the front, I've been running 2.3 and 2.35 tires for 3 years now.

I ride a Yeti 575 with a Pike. I'm a trailrider so no big jumps for this kid. I primarily ride in the Angeles but sometimes venture out to other areas in SoCal.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Need to replace my front tire soon. I'm running a 2.3 Nevegal on the rear and have been quite satisfied with the tire. I'm curious if people like the tire for the front. I'm considering a 2.5 for the front, I've been running 2.3 and 2.35 tires for 3 years now.

I ride a Yeti 575 with a Pike. I'm a trailrider so no big jumps for this kid. I primarily ride in the Angeles but sometimes venture out to other areas in SoCal.
    So far I have liked it as a front tire down here in OC. The Stick-E compound seems to hook up pretty well. I am only running a 2.1 and could only imagine the 2.5 working considerably better. Kenda's run a bit big, so the 2.35 is a pretty large tire. Unless you are riding in really rocky areas and need lower tire pressures, the 2.35 si best all around performance. Does Kenda even make a Nevegal 2.5 that is not in a DH casing?

mtnbikej

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Yes they do. I'm running them now, and they work EXTREMELY well in loose, silty terrain.

mtbr member
    I love it I am running 2.1 stickys front and back and they track great, I have lot of confidence in them a little slow taking off but once you get rolling they are fast...
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Running 2.5

On a 4" XC bike. I love em, I've got the Sticky E's and they're great for loose rocky trails. I was waiting around for 2.35's but they're really hard to get. Picked up the 2.5's for $27 at the Kenda booth at 24HOA. I haven't looked back since. Great decender, but a pig to pedal up. It's worth it though, I highly recommend it as a front tire.

Waiting to exhale.
    I run a 2.5 nev in the front. I have not noticed a single bad thing about it. It seals right up to a 819 tubeless rim with some stans real nice. Great front tire for socal, but you could get away with less around here anyways.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    SMOKEY,

What bead are you using? Wire, Kevlar? Do you use any soap when airing them up?
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Waiting to exhale.
    SMOKEY,

What bead are you using? Wire, Kevlar? Do you use any soap when airing them up?
    Kevlar bead. Yes, use lots -o- soap. Dish soap bubbles, as thick and frothy as you can get it. It helps to mount a new tire with a tube and give it a ride or two to give the tire some shape before you attempt tubless with a non UST tire.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    Yes, use lots -o- soap. Dish soap bubbles, as thick and frothy as you can get it. It helps to mount a new tire with a tube and give it a ride or two to give the tire some shape before you attempt tubless with a non UST tire.
    Thanks for the advice.

I've got a Stiffee
    I've run both a Nevegal and Blue Groove in the front and I prefer the Blue Groove here in so cal. You don't really notice much difference until you get into loose rocky sections, then the BG just seems to wander less while the Nevegal seems to get pushed side to side more from the rocks. Also there isn't much of a difference at all between the 2.35 and the 2.5 as far as width goes so I'd just go with the 2.35.

mtbr member

Very good

A little heavy for some but great grip and strong lugs that dont fold easily.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I think it is pretty good. I am running 2.1 with stans ztr rims. They took a while to seal but after 2 days they stopped losing air. They hook up very well. I run about 35 psi in the rear and about 25 up front. I can stand now on climbs where i used to lose traction. They are not so good in the mud because it tends to stick to them but everything else is ok.

mtbr member
    I run nevegal in the front and back, 2.1 in the rear and 2.35 in the front. Only thing is you can have skinny rims like the mavic 223s or the bigger 2.35 will rip off the rim under pressure. I have the scars to prove it.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by nsbucky
    Only thing is you can have skinny rims like the mavic 223s or the bigger 2.35 will rip off the rim under pressure.
    Do you mean you cannot have skinny rims? I have a XM819 in the rear and a xm 321 in the front. The 321 is a pretty wide rim.

I've got a Stiffee
    Do you mean you cannot have skinny rims? I have a XM819 in the rear and a xm 321 in the front. The 321 is a pretty wide rim.
    I've run a 2.35 w/a Mavic 317 w/no problems and am running a 2.5 on an 819, it will be fine.

mtbr member
    Well of course you can run it, I just wouldnt reccomend running a tire bigger than 2.1 on a rim that is as skinny as the mavic x223. From personal experience the larger tires come off the rim.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by nsbucky
    Well of course you can run it, I just wouldnt reccomend running a tire bigger than 2.1 on a rim that is as skinny as the mavic x223. From personal experience the larger tires come off the rim.
    What are you doing running road rims? I thought this was a mountain bike forum.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upchuck
    What are you doing running road rims? I thought this was a mountain bike forum.

haha yeah wtf am i doing here i need my spandex STAT!

Sober for now...

Good job! true dat...

I run a Nevegal 2.35/2.1 combo w/ stans and these things rock! Air them up to keep up with XC weenies, and air them down to run with the big boys.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bjammin
    I run a Nevegal 2.35/2.1 combo w/ stans and these things rock! Air them up to keep up with XC weenies, and air them down to run with the big boys.
    Dude, it's about time you show your ugly mug here on the board

Howz SD?

Lord of the Chainrings

I have the Nevegal 2.5 on the f/r of my VP-Free and they Rock!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Sober for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    Dude, it's about time you show your ugly mug here on the board

Howz SD?
    Hey Brother!!! Sorry bout droppin off the face of the OC...
    Life is good... Riding lots
    Killer trails in my backyard... call me and bring the M3..(I'm workin on a VPX) sold the big hit and I'm dumpin the Ironwhore.