Thread: Whiting Ranch

Dohh!

Good job! Whiting Ranch

I was at Whiting Ranch this morning when it re-opened at 9 am. Overall I thought it was in good shape. A little sandy up to mustard road and cactus was completly different but all in all not bad. A lot more vegitation than I imagined and it was nice to see the oak trees were not in bad shape.

The Sleepy Hollow trail was pretty cool and there is still a lot of shade back on Edison road. In my opinion it was a lot of fun. Good to see the trail open again. It's going to be nice to chase a ride with a cold beer at wahoo's again.

What every one else think?

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    I am not a fan of how the new cactus trail was cut. Too slow with the fast sections being removed. Once everyone stamps on the trail for another month the sand will thin out. Cool to have it open but I will wait a while for the crowds and sand to get thin.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member
    Road Whiting for the first time today since the closure. Extremely sandy in certain spots heading up to Mustard. For the most part, the climb up to Vista remained unchanged. The flag pole and mailbox got taken out and is a little sandy up there too, but still a great climb. Like others have stated, Cactus is completely different, guess I will just have to get used to it. The new Cactus is what seems like a series of switchbacks going downhill.

Overall the ride was fun, but Whiting either needs a ton of people to get rid of the sand or some good days of rain to pack the sand down. If you are looking for a good workout, go now. In some spots its like riding in the sand at the beach.

mtbr member
    I like the fact that they worked so hard to open Whiting early. Try to see the big picture, Cactus was rebuilt to last it was cut uphill sloping slightly downhill to shed rain without damaging the trail and this also should have less impact from skidding bikers. Yes it is a little loose now but should pack nicely and last for many years without creeping wider.
    Now if we can keep everyone happy and open the Luge and Old Camp! :-)

Awesome not Rad
    The new sections at Whiting SUCK!! It is as if the Rangers re-built the trails for a family of 5 riding huffy's
    Now we are going to have to do some real trail maintanence... covert and renagade... if they didnt want people cutting trails and damaginf Whiting after the fires, they should have maintained some REAL mountain bike trails instead of these lame walking trails.
    Once again, South Orange County mediocracy rules... Next there will be a giant Christian church in there

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjohn
    The new sections at Whiting SUCK!! It is as if the Rangers re-built the trails for a family of 5 riding huffy's
    Now we are going to have to do some real trail maintanence... covert and renagade... if they didnt want people cutting trails and damaginf Whiting after the fires, they should have maintained some REAL mountain bike trails instead of these lame walking trails.
    Once again, South Orange County mediocracy rules... Next there will be a giant Christian church in there
    Gotta agree with this...cattle pond and cactus have been graded completely smooth with a bobcat and now have fewer rocks on them than the fireroads and all the little fun terrain changes, etc., are all gone. And they call it a wilderness park. It's now a walking path in a city park. Your tax dollars at work!

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    If you remember this is at least the second time Cactus has been re-cut. After the big rains in 2003 the top half of the trail caved in. Also, just before the fires the steep back side was also re-cut. The trails have changed many times with what Mother Nature has thrown at her. Possibly with time and rain the trails will get more technical. The switchback sections could be cool in time when really packed down. I imagine some nice burms to come. For now with the sand, too slow.

I don't want to take away from all the hard work people put into opening the park. Give it a few months and see if it gets any better. At least it is open and you can't ***** about that!
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul".

mtbr member

Welcom back Whiting... is that you?

The lead in is the same except for they castrated the little rock garden climb I used to look forward to; and there are some deep sandy sections that are new.
    Mustard is the same, and not very sandy.
    Cactus is mostly new (and raw) but it will improve with time. Worse is was what they did to the little wall; total bypass shortcutI do like the cut through the old hiking only section.
    The finish is the same except that the bridge in the second singletrack is missing, and I like it better; until it rains.
    Overall it's fine and will improve rapidly with the extra traffic it will recieve due to the "whiting DT's".

mtbr member
    If you rode Whiting for some "REAL mountain bike trails" you need to venture out of the South Orange County mediocrity and go on a road trip! Whiting has, and will probably always be, what it is: fun little loop that gives you an quick, varied ride and can be as hard or as easy as you want it. I've seen plenty of "family of 5 riding huffy's" there when Whiting was the Whistler of OC (as you might have seen it before the fire.) I've taken plenty of people there for their first mountain bike ride before the fire, and will in the future. I don't think the new Whiting is better or worse, just a little different.

If you don't like Whiting, don't ride it. I prefer to be out there with as few riders / hikers / equestrians as possible. Go ride something totally insane, like Aliso! You'll need your 7" travel freeride rig for that place. It's the "REAL" mountain biking scene in South OC right now!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Rode Whiting yesterday and was amazed at how open it now is.its odd to see the canyon walls as u ride in going toward Mustard hill. Gotta work on my sand skills as ther are alot of small stretches that require good run speed and power. Like everybody mentioned, cactus trail is totally different. lots of loose silt in the corners and no more wall. I know alot of people think they've ruined the trails but try and keep a perspective. living in So OC is a fantastic area for road and mt bike training. i know its not Breck or Mammoth, but given the fact i can literally ride my mtn bike to almost 10 different venues (NOT DRIVE) i'll sacrafice techical drops and downhills for the accessibility and leaving my truck in the garage.

Ride Hard or Go Home!
    Well I rode it today and I thought it wasn't bad the sand sucks but I need to build my sand skills anyway besides in about 4 months it will be packed down. Cactus was and is still
    my favorite little DH spot I like the change! and when the silt gets packed and it starts to berm up it will be SWEET! I even thought the back section after cactus was cool, 2 or 3 more rides and I'll have it wired. I was a little slow today just because I didn't know the lines but with some time I think you guy's will dig it. And like that one guy said it's a place close to home, you park your car get on your bike get a good cardio run in, and maybe a little adrenaline on the DH back to your car or stop off for a cold one and that's it! If you want some BAD ASS DH go to Southridge in Fontucky put on all your gear and hit it.
    Anyway I think it's a killer little local run!