Bike Whore
    Mar 2004

To the white SUV parked in the Westwood Broxton Lot

To the white SUV parked in the Westwood parking garage level 2 on Broxton Street.

I couldn't help but notice your hardtail with wheels caked with mud from a fresh ride on our rainy Los Angeles day.

Please give the trails some time to dry up before you ride on them.

120 pounds of xc sex!

haha..

it wasnt me, but word, i agree!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    To the white SUV parked in the Westwood parking garage level 2 on Broxton Street.

I couldn't help but notice your hardtail with wheels caked with mud from a fresh ride on our rainy Los Angeles day.

Please give the trails some time to dry up before you ride on them.
    Oh please. What a load of B.S. Oh no, you are gonna leave tire tracks on the trail(that will be gone before you know it). Dude--the horses where I live destroy the trail on a consistant basis. They ride when it's wet. They tear it up when it's dry as well. Besides, it's a friggin' trail. It's meant to be used.

Enough of this. I think I'll go on a ride. A wet and muddy ride at that!!!
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Say what you want, but have fun riding that nice mountain bike up and down your driveway when the wealthy well connected horse owners and rich people up in those hills lobby to ban mtn biking from some of those trails.

True horses crap and leave their marks on the wet trails all the time, but those horse people own the ears of the politicians, so it's always in their favor and not ours.

Don't forget us bikers are the least liked on the trails.
    Last edited by frankenbike; 10-21-2004 at 03:13 PM.

SUPER HERO
    Oct 2004

my bikes muddy too

but its cause i rode in a construction sight near my buddys pad , i couldnt help it. if you really want to hit a trail so bad , leave your bike at home and hike it , i did that yesterday with my dog to check out arroyo seco , its soggy as hell , i was glad to see everyone was on foot , no bikes or horses and the streams more like a river , its gona be a while before you could even crose it to get farther back than a mile or two, there is also bear warning sighns out , i have never seen those out there before, anyways its true that the horse people got way more pull than we do so lets all just chill , we got enough trails that we are banned from as it is .

Ya, right.
    Say what you want, but have fun riding that nice mountain bike up and down your driveway when the wealthy well connected horse owners and rich people up in those hills lobby to ban mtn biking from some of those trails.

True horses crap and leave their marks on the wet trails all the time, but those horse people own the ears of the politicians, so it's always in their favor and not ours.

Frankenbike--first of all I apologize if I was rude. It's just that where I ride, horses destroy the trail constantly, and I have had it with idiotic environmentalists whining about tire tracks on a trail. If you go off trail, you are a flaming moron IMO. However, the trail is there to be used. So who cares if it has a bike track or a 2 foot long skid on it?? Mother Nature takes care of these things before you know it.

I went riding today. The ground was pretty firm. Any tracks I may have left were nothing compared to the hoof prints that destroyed certain sections. It looks like a whole mounted cavalry went through it. If it wasn't the horses, it was the 2 sets of motorcycle tracks I saw. There are kids riding dirtbikes there illegally constantly--even though there are "No Motorized Vehicle" signs posted at every entrance. I was probably smoothing them out if anything. I don't usually complain. It is a multi-use trail, and heck--I didn't build it. So, I just thank God it's there in the first place and I put up with whatever condition it's in. As well as volunteering on trail maintenance day, I feel I am a responsible user.

Also, I would never ride at a widely used trail immediately after a rain, so as not to make anyone angry. I don't agree with the majority on that, but I accept it so as not to give mt bikers a bad name. The trail by my house is not widely used, so I have no fear of making anyone angry at me for doing so. It's just that by your original post, you seemed to be jumping to conclusions a little. You don't know for sure where that person rode. If you saw my bike today in the back of my truck, you may have had the same idea--and I did nothing wrong. Heck, my bike sometimes looks like that on dry days, depending on how many times I crossed the creek that runs through the middle of my trail. Just my .02
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

banned
    Apr 2004

Frankenbike, true we are the trail basturds

even though we are probably the majority, we are not yet as connected or organized as the hikers or horse people, we need to not leave our signature in the mud for all to see.
    Also it's a good idea to pick up or at least kick into the weeds obvious mountain bike trash we come across left by less conscious riders.
    Now if I could just get my buddy big Al not to piss at the trail heads.

out of control only 25%

... and if we just ... trails

Yeah, i dont think its a matter of being an environmentalist or not. Not riding on the trails for a few days after a heavy rain is a good idea for a couple of reasons, one of which is for us, the riders. When you ride a wet trail, especially the sticky wet ones, you create a rut which slows the trail down. and especially on downhills, when a rider skids in some soft mud, there is now a lasting rut. and then when it rains again soon after, it makes it even worse. socal soil is like cement after it drys.
    so ok, this aint about being a ***** or anything, its about keeping the trails fast and fun. we have enough problems keeping the trails maintained in socal with the way it rains here. i went up to a local trail today to check it out. it was dry and everything looked good but one trail. there was a rut there 40 ft long, 3 ft wide in some places, and 3 ft deep. and im not sure what to do about it. should i just leave it, or should i try to patch it up a little? but the rest of the trail was fine.

well, anyway, im not trying to start a riot or anything.